PDA

View Full Version : HI from the Newbie!

SheWhoCariesSun
February 28th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Thanks for adding me to this group! I am super excited about deciding to really grow my hair out for good. I am older (45) and a little afraid that since I am out of my prime it will take me longer or perhaps I will not be able to achieve my goal length at my age (near-waist length). This journey is going to require that I change my exercise habits and eating habits too.

My hair is SO much thinner now compared to when I was younger. I used to be able to pull my hair back in a ponytail and see exactly ZERO scalp. Now when I wear a ponytail I see scalp all OVER and it is so depressing. I am hoping to get some great ideas from each of you on how best to approach this. It may be something I will just have to live with :(

I just cut my hair back in December :( I was playing with the idea of going pixie short (I've done this MANY MANY times in my lifetime) but something just kept talking me out of it. Then I started doing some research on hair, best foods, vitamins, products, etc. and came across some interesting articles about the idea that possibly hair could be an extension of our nervous system. For anyone interested, try this article: www.ancient-origins.net/human-origins-folklore/legendary-locks-can-hair-act-sixth-sense-protecting-us-danger-004844 (http://www.ancient-origins.net/human-origins-folklore/legendary-locks-can-hair-act-sixth-sense-protecting-us-danger-004844)

If I can figure out how to post pictures here, I will get that done. Starting from pretty short (15 inches from front hairline down the back of my head) so I have an EXTREMELY LONG journey ahead of me!

Looking forward to your advice and suggestions!

:cheer:

pili
February 28th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the LHC, SheWhoCariesSun!

I'm also older (42) and am on a hair growth journey to terminal length. I'm hoping that's somewhere between tailbone and ankle length. There are quite a few of us older folks on here and some gorgeous heads of hair. It's not quite the same as in your 20s, but it can be done. Happy growing!

phoenixred
February 28th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Hi and welcome! I'm quite new here too. I've learnt so much from everyone on here already though. Have fun!

lapushka
February 28th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Welcome. That article has been linked here thousands of times. ;)

If you're eating healthy and have no shortages, it's just going to have to be a way of accepting that your hair has thinned. :flower: If however, you're not eating healthily (cutting calories) and have shortages, then always go see your doctor, because then it can be fixed.

Groovy Granny
February 28th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Welcome :)

I started growing my hair out from chin length at age 61 and now at age 65 I am at Hip length for the 2nd time....YOU CAN DO IT :cheer:

Enjoy the forum and happy growing!

saddamna
February 28th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Hi...I am new too with poor English.

lovetoread
February 28th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I'm new as well. Welcome!

saddamna
February 28th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Ok newbies can we share what changes we already did since joining LHC

Dark40
February 28th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Thanks for adding me to this group! I am super excited about deciding to really grow my hair out for good. I am older (45) and a little afraid that since I am out of my prime it will take me longer or perhaps I will not be able to achieve my goal length at my age (near-waist length). This journey is going to require that I change my exercise habits and eating habits too.

My hair is SO much thinner now compared to when I was younger. I used to be able to pull my hair back in a ponytail and see exactly ZERO scalp. Now when I wear a ponytail I see scalp all OVER and it is so depressing. I am hoping to get some great ideas from each of you on how best to approach this. It may be something I will just have to live with :(

I just cut my hair back in December :( I was playing with the idea of going pixie short (I've done this MANY MANY times in my lifetime) but something just kept talking me out of it. Then I started doing some research on hair, best foods, vitamins, products, etc. and came across some interesting articles about the idea that possibly hair could be an extension of our nervous system. For anyone interested, try this article: www.ancient-origins.net/human-origins-folklore/legendary-locks-can-hair-act-sixth-sense-protecting-us-danger-004844 (http://www.ancient-origins.net/human-origins-folklore/legendary-locks-can-hair-act-sixth-sense-protecting-us-danger-004844)

If I can figure out how to post pictures here, I will get that done. Starting from pretty short (15 inches from front hairline down the back of my head) so I have an EXTREMELY LONG journey ahead of me!

Looking forward to your advice and suggestions!

:cheer:

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I am also older too(45) like you. I've been a member of the forum for 6 going on 7 years now, and I have learned a lot from others on here!!!! When I first joined back during the year of 2010 I started out with a chin length bod or shoulder length hair, and now I'm at Bra Strap Length, and is now on my way to Mid Back Length!!!! Ever since I joined the forum I always felt that I could never grow extremely long hair. But I've come to find out that through genetics I can grow hair to the top of my thighs!!!! Even with my being over 40!!!! And, my goal this year is to reach hip length at the end of December of this year.

SheWhoCariesSun
February 28th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Do we inherit those genetics from the Mother's side, or could it be from either side?

I have not seen any women on my Dad's side of the family grow long hair, but my own mother had her hair pretty long at one point in her late 30s.... down to the top of her butt at one point. She used to wear it in a gorgeous bun piled up on the top of her head. She has since gone short, but I loved her hair back then :)

vpatt
February 28th, 2017, 05:12 PM
welcome to all the newbies! You will find so much information and encouragement here.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 28th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Hi and welcome! I am older, almost 52 and my hair is heading to knee length.

I did read in George Michael's book that we inherit the kind of hair that our father's mother had. I don't know how true that is, but I hope it is, because my father told me that his mother had beautiful hair, long enough to sit on...

Anyway, happy growing to you:)

pili
February 28th, 2017, 11:12 PM
Hi and welcome! I am older, almost 52 and my hair is heading to knee length.

I did read in George Michael's book that we inherit the kind of hair that our father's mother had. I don't know how true that is, but I hope it is, because my father told me that his mother had beautiful hair, long enough to sit on...

Anyway, happy growing to you:)
I don't think that's true. I have my mother's hair. My paternal grandmother had very different hair.

Reyesuela
February 28th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Hi! Why aren't you using proven hair regrowth technologies to combat age-related thinning? They work better on women than men! My hair is growing back. :)

TatsuOni
March 1st, 2017, 08:10 AM
Welcome! :)

SheWhoCariesSun
March 5th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Welcome :)

I started growing my hair out from chin length at age 61 and now at age 65 I am at Hip length for the 2nd time....YOU CAN DO IT :cheer:

Enjoy the forum and happy growing!

WOW you are very inspiring! Okay I can do this. I am not tempted to cut it by any means, just impatient! I want overnight long hair. hahaha

SheWhoCariesSun
March 5th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Hi! Why aren't you using proven hair regrowth technologies to combat age-related thinning? They work better on women than men! My hair is growing back. :)

I think first I will tighten up my eating habits, increase my water intake, make SURE I'm getting my biotin and exercising well. I'll give that 6-8 months and if I see no real improvement, I may take your advice!!

truepeacenik
March 5th, 2017, 08:21 PM
At 48, I have almost knee length hair.
It's all in damage control, and not overdoing the fiddly stuff.

Reyesuela
March 5th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Double post

Reyesuela
March 5th, 2017, 09:01 PM
I think first I will tighten up my eating habits, increase my water intake, make SURE I'm getting my biotin and exercising well. I'll give that 6-8 months and if I see no real improvement, I may take your advice!!

Biotin won't do anything. :). If you have a local trichologist, check them out. My signature has lifestyle ideas, but from your description, there's probably more to it than that. Good luck!