PDA

View Full Version : Corn starch as dry shampoo? Is it safe?

- Lizzy -
February 27th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Is it ok to use cornstarch or talcum powder on your hair as like a dry shampoo? I have personally used both and it was fine and I found it worked pretty well but is it damaging for the hair or scalp?

vampyyri
February 27th, 2017, 12:10 PM
I used to use baby powder exclusively and never noticed anything weird from it, and I would imagine the corn starch would be the same.

Anje
February 27th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Safe, but tends to leave roots dusty-looking if you don't have light hair. I've heard good things about cocoa powder for people with darker hair.

lapushka
February 27th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Just don't use too too much, a light dusting should be fine, though. It can gunk up if you use it daily for a long time which might make it more difficult to wash out. But if you just use it a few days to get through to the next wash, then I'm sure it's perfectly fine! I guess it's the age-old, too much of a good thing... ;)

vpatt
March 1st, 2017, 08:39 AM
I have used it...of course the color blends well in my hair, lol.

antler_tines
March 1st, 2017, 09:51 AM
I would agree with everyones points, but I would steer clear of baby powder unless it is talcum powder free. You probably don't want to breath too much of that :)

Cg
March 3rd, 2017, 09:03 AM
I use corn starch occasionally, have for years, and never experienced any problems.