PDA

View Full Version : Toning Your Scalp

Strands
February 27th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I have been experimenting with different scalp toners on my scalp as the ONLY variable of treatment to my hair the last 3 months, and have tried not using it as well to compare results. Overall, I have found that using a toner on my scalp has made an incredible difference to the health of my scalp, the speed of the growth in some cases, and the elasticity I have in my length when it goes through my hair.

After I protect the length and have shampooed my scalp, I rinse my head, and then will use either cooled Green Tea or Alcohol-Free witch hazel, preferably Thayers for myself, to rinse my entire scalp. I usually drizzle it with one hand, and use the other to distribute and massage the scalp a little with it. Then, if I have any left, I run it through my length. I use about 8oz per wash.

I notice that when I use green tea my scalp tingles a little, I have concluded this may be the caffeine in it, and I may be getting those benefits to my scalp as well through this rinse. I would be interested in trying black coffee in the future for similar effects.

Anyway, after my rinse is in, I wait about 2 minutes, and then rinse it out in COOL water, and then condition twice, and gently detangle.

I also wash my head inverted. I do not know if this makes a difference, but it certainly has helped me to do a more thorough job during washes.

Anyone else who has experimented with this? I have not seen a thread for it yet. :)

likelikepenny
February 27th, 2017, 09:25 AM
It sounds like you're combining the caffeine rinse with the inversion method to increase growth.

I've been doing both separately but I'm not sure where the growth comes from, the caffeine or inversion. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in?

Strands
February 27th, 2017, 09:28 AM
It sounds like you're combing the caffeine rinse with the inversion method to increase growth.

I've been doing both separately but I'm not sure where the growth comes from, the caffeine or inversion. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in?

Perhaps so. I would love some feedback on this.

Reyesuela
March 1st, 2017, 01:14 PM
Caffeine causes hair growth. HOWEVER, too much caffeine causes follicles to go dormant!!!!

In vitro studies use tiny amounts of caffeine, but those are in vitro (not in the body). Caffeine is included at 2-4% in shampoos, by weight. I take the cautious side and began adding 2% dissolved in water in a pre-wash treatment. I put 1-2 ML of the resulting solution on my scalp while the bath is filling. Then I immediately wash my hair. (Until my hair is longer than tailbone, I wash it in the tub, and it doesn't tangle with my care regimen because of its type.)