PDA

View Full Version : A proper hairtyping. Boy, was I surprised! Pics

Sw33th34rt4my
February 24th, 2017, 09:05 AM
So, I did a proper hairtyping. The purpose was so I knew exactly what my hair was like so I can better care for it. For 30 years I had stick straight hair. For the past 3 years my hair has almost never been down since my son was a bad hair puller. I washed my hair and let it air dry with no combing, I did detangle in the shower. I have waves! Time to stop trying to get my hair to be straight and smooth. I thought my hair was just being unruly. Now to properly care for my hair.

Also, can anyone help me figure out what my first classifier really is?

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l532/AmyTopolski/IMG_0641%20copy.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/AmyTopolski/media/IMG_0641%20copy.jpg.html)
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l532/AmyTopolski/IMG_0645%20copy.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/AmyTopolski/media/IMG_0645%20copy.jpg.html)

pailin
February 24th, 2017, 09:22 AM
You might be 2b- looks kind of like braid waves.

vampyyri
February 24th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Looks like 2b to me!

lapushka
February 24th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Looks like 2a, maybe 2a/b to me. 2b is more like tight, even, braid waves.

Mrstran
February 24th, 2017, 10:11 AM
I'd say 2a. They look like the chart says to me, very loose S waves.

school of fish
February 24th, 2017, 10:17 AM
This is how my previously 1a hair has been growing out ever since my 2nd child!! I'm a little further behind you - my waves stop at APL and my remaining length to TBL is still stick straight, haha!!

My waves are a little more 'even braidwave' in texture, so I'd consider mine 2b and yours 2a/2b :) I envy the waves you have going on at your hemline!! I still have the poker-straight rat-tail effect going on - highlighted by thinner ends and contrast with the waves above :p

Enjoy your new texture - it's beautiful :D

Anje
February 24th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I'd call it 2b. Those are real waves, not the halfhearted sort-of waves 2a has. :D

Kae612
February 24th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Oh cool! I should probably reconsider my own typing... my hair waves if I don't touch it, air drying like that. but I didn't type it in the 2's because as soon as I touch it, even just to tuck it behind my ear the canopy especially loses all shape and just becomes poofy-straight. I can't keep my waves throughout the day so I figured my hair couldn't be truly wavy if it didn't STAY wavy.

Arctic
February 24th, 2017, 11:17 AM
2a/2b. The wave length is 2b for sure, but they are slightly "weak" looking - which I think will improve with proper care!

Arctic
February 24th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Oh cool! I should probably reconsider my own typing... my hair waves if I don't touch it, air drying like that. but I didn't type it in the 2's because as soon as I touch it, even just to tuck it behind my ear the canopy especially loses all shape and just becomes poofy-straight. I can't keep my waves throughout the day so I figured my hair couldn't be truly wavy if it didn't STAY wavy.

I see your point, but for hair typing purposes it's irrelevant if the hair stays wavy. It's already relatively complex system and adding such variable would make it pretty difficult. The system has it's weaknesses for sure, like not taking into account kinkyness, wiryness, porosity, slipperiness, etc.

Kae612
February 24th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I see your point, but for hair typing purposes it's irrelevant if the hair stays wavy. It's already relatively complex system and adding such variable would make it pretty difficult. The system has it's weaknesses for sure, like not taking into account kinkyness, wiryness, porosity, slipperiness, etc.

Yeah, ok! Thanks! I won't hijack this thread any more than I already have...but this is definitely interesting. I'll revisit the typing sticky & see if I can find my actual type on this basis. I do love the waves 😊

Sw33th34rt4my
February 24th, 2017, 02:52 PM
This is how my previously 1a hair has been growing out ever since my 2nd child!! I'm a little further behind you - my waves stop at APL and my remaining length to TBL is still stick straight, haha!!

My waves are a little more 'even braidwave' in texture, so I'd consider mine 2b and yours 2a/2b :) I envy the waves you have going on at your hemline!! I still have the poker-straight rat-tail effect going on - highlighted by thinner ends and contrast with the waves above :p

Enjoy your new texture - it's beautiful :D
Thank you! I have a lot of learning to do about this new texture to make my hair look nice again.

VersLaLumière
February 24th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Your hair looks similar to my 2b/2a hair after a wash/air dry/no touching. It's the length and weight of my hair, and brushing and lots of conditioning/oiling that make it look more like 2a (even 1c) on a day-to-day basis at this length which is 25.75".

I have more of 2a canopy (looks 1c at times), but the underside is a mixed-up mess of 2b and some 2c with tight waves and ringlets that never straighten! At least not without significant heat styling. With all of that going on I find it hard to type my hair too, so I just sum it up as 2b.

spidermom
February 24th, 2017, 06:51 PM
My vote is 2A.

Aidin
February 24th, 2017, 09:36 PM
2a I'd say

PrincessAralin
February 25th, 2017, 02:44 AM
I'd say 2a/b, it's right in between 2a and 2b judging by these photos.