PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Tail Ends

kinnyuu
February 24th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Hey friends!

I recently have been noticing I have been having some serious FTEs. My hair is BCL but about 2 inches up my hair is rather... wispy, lack of a better word.

Last summer my ends were rather thick by end of August, but throughout winter my ends have thinned out quite a bit.

Does anyone have any idea why we get FTEs?
I am considering a cut to help thicken *I JUST went to salon in January for trim*, but I was hoping to go until June for a trim/cut. My hair is in general good health, very smooth, no splits... Just pretty scraggly looking near the ends, because there isn't a lot of hair mass to fill in the blank spots.

Any advice, or reasons to why this may be happening?

Thanks!

Kinsey

lapushka
February 24th, 2017, 09:12 AM
It happens with some people faster than with others. My mom is i, barely i/ii now and had hair around BSL and it never fairytaled on her, so it's got fairly little to do with whether you're i, ii, or iii, IMMHO.

It's all got to do with how long you can keep the hair that's on your head, on your head.

But there is nothing that you can *do* about it, in that sense.

Maybe join the microtrimming thread to maintain your hemline? That might give you something to look forward to and strive for.

Moonfall
February 24th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Hi Kinsey :)
Your situation sounds a bit like mine, only I've been having this for about 5 years now. I have been wondering about what could have caused it, too. Have you ever been past your current length? I haven't, and so I've been questioning my terminal length. I really, really hope both of us haven't reached that! Recently, though, I realized my fairytale ends could have been caused by too much S&D. I S&D about once a week and I usually snip off everything I don't like (splits, of course, but also hairs I find too thin near the ends while they seem healthy). This week, I told my partner to hide my scissors, because I know I find it hard to resist cutting off these hairs. I really hope I'll end up with a thicker hemline after some micro trims! If you S&D, maybe this could help you as well?

Best wishes,
Moonfall

kinnyuu
February 24th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks Lapushka!

I absolutely believe it's got to do with how long the hair stays on your head, too. I went through a recent shed - hoping it is all over now. I guess my hair is just reaching it's age and I should expect this more often, and to just maintain until it's got it's life figured out.

I'll head to the microtrimming threat!

kinnyuu
February 24th, 2017, 09:25 AM
This is the longest my hair has ever been, to be completely honest!
I highly doubt this is terminal, or at least I really hope not...
I have S&Ded a lot more frequently, so that may be cause; also have went through a bout of hair loss. I think it was just shedding time for me, hadn't had that happen to me since about 2013. SO I think my time was due and the hair just decided to let go.
I think I will start microtrimming more frequently - I WAS doing that last year but ended up stopping and going to salon instead.

Thanks Moonfall!

lapushka
February 24th, 2017, 10:02 AM
This is the longest my hair has ever been, to be completely honest!
I highly doubt this is terminal, or at least I really hope not...
I have S&Ded a lot more frequently, so that may be cause; also have went through a bout of hair loss. I think it was just shedding time for me, hadn't had that happen to me since about 2013. SO I think my time was due and the hair just decided to let go.
I think I will start microtrimming more frequently - I WAS doing that last year but ended up stopping and going to salon instead.

If you shed *so much* that it is thinning out considerably, please head on over to your doctor and have a blood test done. All kinds of things may be happening (vitamin deficiencies, thyroid issues). I don't mean to scare you, but shedding to the point where it is thinning is not normal.

kinnyuu
February 24th, 2017, 10:09 AM
I'll make an appointment soon, I'm due for a blood test anyway.
I had one done back in 2013 when I first had hair loss issues, but I was not deficient in anything - just very high stress (college prepping, end of high school, taking college courses, working long hours).
I just went through another very high stress few months, getting back into routine at college, engineering courses (I work 40 hours a week and also take classes at the college for engineering degree).
In the past I have lost hair due to high stress, so I just assumed that was the issue.
I take daily women's health vitamins, exercise daily (weightlifting), eat a pretty wholesome diet with lots of veggies, meat, and grains.

Thanks for the recommendation!

spidermom
February 24th, 2017, 01:02 PM
One of the causes is that every hair on your head does not grow at the same rate. You have some follicles that might push out a hair at the rate of 3/4 inch per month and another that only manages 1/4 inch per month. So you see, the hairs that grow the fastest will race out ahead of the hairs that grow more slowly.

Also, sometimes hairs get broken off by shoulder straps on purses and backpacks, against the back of chairs, from pulling out a hair elastic, etc, etc.

And as you noted, S&D makes the ends uneven.