PDA

View Full Version : Can hair texture change? & Hair Typing question

Sw33th34rt4my
February 23rd, 2017, 01:27 PM
So, I was sitting here thinking about my hair. When I was younger it was stick straight and very smooth. I think this might have changed after I had my youngest child and with becoming more gray. So, can hair texture change? Maybe I have a wavy hair now and am still trying to have straight smooth hair?

I am wanting to do a proper hair typing. My question is this, how do I dry my hair after I wash? Should I just squeeze the excess water out with my t-shirt and then let it air dry?

lithostoic
February 23rd, 2017, 01:51 PM
Yeah most people's hair changes. Most say hair typing should be done with ZERO manipulation including squeezing out water, but I always squeeze my hair because it'd never dry otherwise.

spidermom
February 23rd, 2017, 02:02 PM
Most important is don't comb or brush after washing. Let hair dry in its natural state.

samanthaa
February 23rd, 2017, 02:31 PM
For me "proper" hair typing doesn't matter, because I'm certainly not ever going to wear my hair untouched/uncombed, which means that nobody (including myself) will ever see my truly "natural" hair texture (although how "natural" can it be if your hair gets tangling during a wash and you leave it to dry as a tangled mess? That would make my hair dry extra wavy). I classify my hair based on what it is after it's fully dry, and I often comb it while drying. I know this is technically wrong.

Obsidian
February 23rd, 2017, 02:58 PM
Samantha, you don't want it drying tangled. I comb my hair while it has conditioner in it so it's not tangled, then it's not touched again except to blot excess water so I don't drip everywhere.

Sw33th34rt4my
February 24th, 2017, 05:16 AM
Thank you. I think squeezing the water out is a neccesity. Couldn't imagine walking around the house with sopping wet hair.
And I had no idea your hair texture could actually change. I'm very intregued by this!

PrincessAralin
February 24th, 2017, 05:36 AM
The texture of the hair is decided by the shape of the follicle, right? It would make sense if things like age and childbearing impacted your follicles, they impact everything else about the body!

lapushka
February 24th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Hormones (puberty, pregnancy) can for sure change your texture!

I went from 1b/c to 2b/c during puberty, after my hair fell out in chunks (with bald patches) it grew back in wavy. Took 2 years to get back to normal. I was 13/14 when it happened, and about 15/16 when it was back OK.

Arctic
February 24th, 2017, 08:03 AM
As other's have already said, yes texture can change (both the fineness-coarseness and straightness-wavyness-curliness-kinkyness) and it's relatively common too.

samanthaa
February 24th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Samantha, you don't want it drying tangled. I comb my hair while it has conditioner in it so it's not tangled, then it's not touched again except to blot excess water so I don't drip everywhere.

That makes a lot more sense lol

draysmir
February 24th, 2017, 10:21 PM
I notice whenever my hair is washed in hard water (with no additional moisturizing) it's always more wavy than when I wash it in soft water. The products and the way you wash your hair can make your hair appear different than it's actual state. I've been noticing since I've been getting closer to waist length hair again, that my hair appears a lot straighter now than it did the last time I grew it out to this length. I suspect I need to clarify my hair, and the amount of conditioner/oils I use to moisten and tame my hair (from the hard water) is making it appear straighter. I have less layering this time around, so this might weigh down my waves more too.

While I agree that your hair type can change throughout your life, I think these are other reasons why you think your hair type could "change".