PDA

View Full Version : Fading direct dye without damage?

Obsidian
February 23rd, 2017, 11:55 AM
Anyone know a non damaging method of fading direct dye? It's coming out with sulfate shampoo but not quite fast enough and I don't want to use aspirin/vitamin c

Mrstran
February 23rd, 2017, 04:01 PM
Anyone know a non damaging method of fading direct dye? It's coming out with sulfate shampoo but not quite fast enough and I don't want to use aspirin/vitamin c

I don't know if or how damaging these are but in the past I've used dish soap, color oops, and selsun blue.

Added info: I've dyed my hair so many times I couldn't count and these were always my go to's.

Anje
February 23rd, 2017, 06:43 PM
Several big-guns methods I've seen posted:
Oil, bleach powder, and Shampoo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938&p=3196472&viewfull=1#post3196472) but no peroxide isn't going to be super damaging.
Bleach baths (http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=995.0) of bleach, peroxide, and shampoo are damaging, but they are less damaging than if you do it without diluting in shampoo. I managed to fry my (doesn't really matter it's so) short hair when bleaching this way with 30v peroxide, so I'd suggest stepping back to 20v.

Obsidian
February 23rd, 2017, 06:56 PM
Oh no, I already have bleached hair from trying to lighten my henna, any more would be the end of my hair. Dish soap and dandruff shampoo is really drying and I already tried oil, it did nothing. Maybe I'll try a conditioner soak, seemed like more color then normal came out when I left some cond in for longer then normal.

Anje
February 23rd, 2017, 07:26 PM
You could always dump some vitamin C in the conditioner?

Winter Fox
February 24th, 2017, 03:47 AM
You could also try what I've done yesterday:
though my intention was not to lift color in the first place, the deep conditioning treatment I did lifted a lot of my turquoise dye.
It may be worth a try for you too as it isn't damaging at all and if nothing else your hair could benefit from the conditioning effect.

Here is what I did:
I mixed 1 table spoon of shampoo (I used shea moisture) with 3 tbsp of oil (rice bran) and 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel. I washed my hair just with warm water, towel dried it and applied the mixture to my lengths and scalp.
I let it sit for 1,5 hours then rinsed it off with shampoo. There was a lot of color coming off.

lapushka
February 24th, 2017, 04:09 AM
Yeah, darn those DD like Manic Panic, and Adore and La Riche Directions. The "fun" colors always seem to stick around for far too long... One of the reasons I haven't wanted to touch them. Pity though, because a streak of something fun would be lovely, but what if you grow tired of it?

I hope you can get it out somehow... Is it far up your head (up to your scalp), or only on the ends? If only on the ends, maybe microtrimming is a better idea.

Robot Ninja
February 24th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Oil soaks before washing might help.

I wouldn't recommend trying to bleach bath it out, since it might get ground even further into the hair shaft, and also might turn a weird color.

Mrstran
February 24th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Oh no, I already have bleached hair from trying to lighten my henna, any more would be the end of my hair. Dish soap and dandruff shampoo is really drying and I already tried oil, it did nothing. Maybe I'll try a conditioner soak, seemed like more color then normal came out when I left some cond in for longer then normal.

I'm sorry I'm not sure where to go from here. I wish I could help. It's relieving to hear that you are careful though. I've seen too many people throw bleach over bleach trying to get rid of color, only destroying their hair.
I hope you get that faded out soon.

Hay_jules
February 24th, 2017, 09:57 AM
I honestly don't think you can get rid of it without damaging your hair. All the fading methods that are effective are damaging to an extent. The vitamin c method, generally considered gentle, damaged one persons (the person who created the shampoo, oil, bleach method linked to above) hair so badly that she had to chop several inches.

The most effective thing I've found (aside from the shampoo, bleach, oils method) is to soak hair in coconut oil for 2 hours first, rinse quickly in hot water (I've done it without rinsing and rinsing in cooler water, neither was effective), rub clarifying/dandruff shampoo into hair in sections and massage it in really well, squeeze out excess foam (if you see colour you're in luck), cap it and i blow dry it a few seconds til it feels warm and throw a beanie on. I let it sit for 20-30 minutes, past 30 will dry your hair excessively (I notice an increase in splits if i leave it on longer), then rinse and condition twice.

Obsidian
February 24th, 2017, 11:51 AM
A conditioner soak with a little oil helped some, at this point I think I'll leave it be as it looks like a nice reverse ombre.

Weirdly, this started as me wanting bright purple tips so I got some splat midnight amethyst, did the under side and tips on the sides.
Stuff turned my hair nearly black with purple sheen you could only see in the sun. It faded to a burgundy fairly quickly but I didn't like the color at all. Now it just looks like I have darker henna on the ends and I can't see any purple shimmer at all.

I've been getting compliments, people like the darker bits but now my roots are showing more and its starting to look strange. Not sure if I want to try a gloss to blend in the grey roots some or maybe go with another direct dye, maybe a peachy shade just to brighten the dull roots for awhile.

lapushka
February 24th, 2017, 02:15 PM
I've been getting compliments, people like the darker bits but now my roots are showing more and its starting to look strange. Not sure if I want to try a gloss to blend in the grey roots some or maybe go with another direct dye, maybe a peachy shade just to brighten the dull roots for awhile.

Honestly? There comes a time when color upon color will catch up with you, and I sure hope it's not that moment for you yet, but... I promise you, it's ugly. :( Just FYI. If you want to color more that's of course your choice, but I went through it, got a chemical cut & burn and learned my lesson the hard way. If I can keep at least one person from making the same mistake, it's worth it. :flower: Normally these DD dyes don't harm you in any way, but I fear one day you'll be just too tired of dealing with them that you're just gonna go and bleach them out... and that is not a good idea, I fear. :o

Obsidian
February 24th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Eh, not worried about damage from the DD dyes and no worries about me trying to bleach them out. Patience is enough to remove them, it would be nice if there was a reliable safe way to fade them faster but if not, no big deal.
If I do decide to color my roots, it would be just the roots to blend the grey into the henna. I have no intention to completely dye over the henna or the darker ends. I looked at the DD that is sold locally, none would have worked and I've decide against doing a henna gloss as I want to stay away from anything permanent. I'm thinking about a copper dye, maybe from adore or manic panic.

lapushka
February 25th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Eh, not worried about damage from the DD dyes and no worries about me trying to bleach them out. Patience is enough to remove them, it would be nice if there was a reliable safe way to fade them faster but if not, no big deal.
If I do decide to color my roots, it would be just the roots to blend the grey into the henna. I have no intention to completely dye over the henna or the darker ends. I looked at the DD that is sold locally, none would have worked and I've decide against doing a henna gloss as I want to stay away from anything permanent. I'm thinking about a copper dye, maybe from adore or manic panic.

OK, gotcha!

Do you find that covers your grays effectively, I'm just curious. :o My mom always uses permanent dye to cover her grays because anything else just won't cut it (she's gray all over).

Obsidian
February 25th, 2017, 08:05 AM
The purple I used seemed to cover the greys OK but that brand doesn't come in natural colors. I've not tried anything natural looking as of yet but I heard adore doesn't cover grey all that well.

I'm not looking to completely cover my grey, only to tone down the demarcation line. I suppose if I did want to completely cover them, I would use a box dye too.

lapushka
February 25th, 2017, 08:59 AM
The purple I used seemed to cover the greys OK but that brand doesn't come in natural colors. I've not tried anything natural looking as of yet but I heard adore doesn't cover grey all that well.

I'm not looking to completely cover my grey, only to tone down the demarcation line. I suppose if I did want to completely cover them, I would use a box dye too.

Mmmyeah... My mom only colors her hair 4 times a year, and cuts her hair every 3 months as well. She's pretty "careful" with the dyes. She has been using a basic Syoss dye for years now. It's a good one for her. She likes it. It's this one, and exactly that color too:
https://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imagebase3/large/FC/1/6/1/6/9200000035836161.jpg

It says it covers gray right on the box. So, that's why she got it. :)

PixieP
February 25th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Color oops or similar?

I've also heard of citric acid mixed with shampoo as a way to strip colour, I tried it on my henna to see if that would lighten it (didn't work though), I didn't notice any damage from it.

meteor
February 25th, 2017, 11:35 AM
^ Interestingly, Color Oops / Color B4 is not meant for direct dyes, according to the manufacturer (*). However, using Color Oops is a relatively popular option among users of direct dyes, as sometimes it does seem to work decently...
This person did an interesting experiment on Hair Crazy forum: https://www.haircrazy.com/articles/blog/experiment-colour-remover-on-direct-dye/

* http://coloroops.com/instructions.html
Color Oops is designed for use on regular oxidative hair color. Color Oops is not designed for and will not perform on direct color dyes such as bright pinks, blues, greens, lavenders, purples, etc.

Honestly, my preferred method is to oil hair heavily overnight (basically to condition and protect hair) and then clarify it this way: directly apply clarifying shampoo to dyed areas, add a tiny bit of hot water, enough for emulsifying a bit, wrap in foil (to keep the temperature warm) and let sit in warm environment for about 15 minutes, maybe longer. Needless to say, this is drying and takes a few sessions, so always follow up with moisturizing deep conditioner. If you are worried about using clarifying shampoos this way, long conditioner soaks help a bit, too. This can be a long process though... I'd just plan for much longer wash cycles for the next month or so, due to long soaks needed for fading.

Swimming in pools and sun exposure should help it fade much faster, too.

Zebra Fish
February 25th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Here is what I did:
I mixed 1 table spoon of shampoo (I used shea moisture) with 3 tbsp of oil (rice bran) and 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel. I washed my hair just with warm water, towel dried it and applied the mixture to my lengths and scalp.
I let it sit for 1,5 hours then rinsed it off with shampoo. There was a lot of color coming off.

You mean shampoo or conditioner?

Obsidian which DD you use/planning to use? I stopped hennaing 5 months ago and the colour blended nicely (I was using more and more cassia for the last year), but I don't like my whites. I don't have much of them, but they shine so darn much in the sun. I wanted to let my natural colour, but they bother me too much, so I'd like just to cover them, or at least blend them no to be so visible. I cannot find semis in natural colour that work...

Rhoward
February 25th, 2017, 08:05 PM

I use direct dyes to cover my roots as a quick fix when I can't be bothered doing the whole henndigo process, it works well enough for me. I get longer out of the colour if I put it on dry hair with an application brush and leave it for a few hours before rinsing. :blossom:

pastina
February 25th, 2017, 08:16 PM
When I want to fade my color, I wet my hair, coat with more clarifying shampoo than really necessary, and cover with a shower cap for a while. Then I mermaid soak it out with hot water. ...I've also done this with head and shoulders with success.

As RobotNinja said before, you don't want to bleach out direct dyes. The bleach can force color under the cuticle, which makes it waaay harder to get rid of it.

_fred_
February 26th, 2017, 06:08 AM

A gloss sounds like a good plan. Your hair colour sounds gorgeous btw, but I can understand why you'd want to blend in the regrowth.

I don't know if it'll be helpful, but just in case it is: I've had good results force fading with Vosene anti-dandruff shampoo, then using a direct dye diluted with conditioner over everything to balance it out. When I force fade, I shampoo, focusing on the areas that the dye tends to linger, then shampoo again, then condition, then shampoo again and condition. Obviously this is drying, so I don't do it often, only when I've not done it at all since deciding to grow out my hair.

You mentioned Splat Midnight Amethyst turning your hair nearly black. I have the same with Directions Plum if I don't dilute it with conditioner first (the fade on Plum on bleached hair is so great though, a lovely bright blue). I'm tempted to try Splat now, it sounds great, especially the colour it fades to.

Best of luck with the fade and your new colour after :)

Hay_jules
February 26th, 2017, 11:33 AM
When I want to fade my color, I wet my hair, coat with more clarifying shampoo than really necessary, and cover with a shower cap for a while. Then I mermaid soak it out with hot water. ...I've also done this with head and shoulders with success.

As RobotNinja said before, you don't want to bleach out direct dyes. The bleach can force color under the cuticle, which makes it waaay harder to get rid of it.

Do you really find mermaid soaking it more effective than normal rinsing? I've never considered trying that but I'm all for trying something different.

Hay_jules
February 26th, 2017, 11:41 AM
A gloss sounds like a good plan. Your hair colour sounds gorgeous btw, but I can understand why you'd want to blend in the regrowth.

I don't know if it'll be helpful, but just in case it is: I've had good results force fading with Vosene anti-dandruff shampoo, then using a direct dye diluted with conditioner over everything to balance it out. When I force fade, I shampoo, focusing on the areas that the dye tends to linger, then shampoo again, then condition, then shampoo again and condition. Obviously this is drying, so I don't do it often, only when I've not done it at all since deciding to grow out my hair.

You mentioned Splat Midnight Amethyst turning your hair nearly black. I have the same with Directions Plum if I don't dilute it with conditioner first (the fade on Plum on bleached hair is so great though, a lovely bright blue). I'm tempted to try Splat now, it sounds great, especially the colour it fades to.

Best of luck with the fade and your new colour after :)

I missed the "midnight" in the first post. The Splat midnight collection is designed specifically for brunette hair, to be noticeable over dark hair. That's why your hair ended up nearly black.

Seeshami
February 26th, 2017, 12:10 PM

I am interested to see how the tea works for you when you try it or if it was just freak accident the first time I tried it. Yay for mad science!

zmirina
June 26th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Isn't color oops supposed to be non-damaging?