PDA

View Full Version : To use sulfate or not to use sulfate?

morgue
February 22nd, 2017, 10:05 AM
Hey everyone, so I'm a wee bit confused....

I was told all my life not to use shampoos that include sulfate. Maybe it's because I have chemically dyed hair, but I've read many people on her way to use sulfate.

Is is sulfate bad or good? Do you only use sulfate shampoos in certain situations?

Thanks for for helping me clear this up!

samanthaa
February 22nd, 2017, 11:28 AM
If you're using silicones in your conditioner, you might need to use a sulfate shampoo to remove the non-water soluble silicones. Otherwise, you may want to use one occasionally as a clarifying wash. Some people who have a lot of products in their routine may choose to use a sulfate shampoo more frequently to strip away the product build up.

Otherwise, I don't see much of a reason to use them, and I don't personally. They're harsh detergents that can be stripping to your hair, and since my routine is simple (shampoo bar, silicone-free conditioner, acidic rinse, c'est tout), they're not necessary for any "extra cleansing." I also prefer to stay as chemical-free as possible.

If you have chemically dyed hair, yes, they can strip the color faster than a sulfate-free shampoo.

lithostoic
February 22nd, 2017, 11:38 AM
Sulfates make my scalp itch. Other people find the opposite to be true. Not everyone likes sulfate shampoo and not everyone likes sulfate-free shampoo, which is why both are available.

Decoy24601
February 22nd, 2017, 12:16 PM
It's completely up to personal preference. Neither are evil or harmful. It just depends on what your hair and scalp likes. Sulfates tend to be a little too harsh on my scalp (I have sensitive skin and am prone to eczema), but I still use them occasionally to clarify. Now that I have a routine that doesn't give me much buildup (cone-free conditioner. Even though my serum has cones, I haven't noticed any buildup), I like to use sulfate-free shampoos. However, some people's scalps and hair just can't handle sulfate-free shampoos and they really need sulfates. It's very YMMV.

MoonRabbit
February 22nd, 2017, 12:35 PM
I personally love sulfates. I'm a coney lady and my hair is really sensitive to build up so I use SLS in every wash. But only on my scalp and I kind of press the excess suds down my length.

Anje
February 22nd, 2017, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't say sulfates are good or bad, but rather that they're more strongly cleansing. If you don't need a lot of cleansing, have dye that could be stripped, or are prone to dryness, then sulfates can really be overkill. If you have buildup or get it readily, have a scalp that produces a lot of oil*, or are prone to conditions like SD where you get inflammation when your scalp gets oily, then using stronger cleansers can be useful.

*Some skin, including scalps, just plain produces a lot of oil. Some produces little oil. Some (like mine) gets termed as "combination skin" (though I consider it to be more "reactive skin"), and tends to react to drying conditions by producing more oil. My face is similar, and tends to get flakey and oily simultaneously and in the same places, if I'm not moisturizing it and generally being careful with what it needs. People who are like me often can slowly train their scalps to produce less oil by washing with less harsh methods and less frequently. Others have varying degrees of luck with stretching their washes further apart.

ETA: A lot of us tend to concentrate on shampooing only at the scalp, maybe squeezing suds down the length right before rinsing (though I generally didn't even bother with that for most day-to-day washing). This can be useful to help keep the length from getting dry, but the tradeoff is that it allows conditioner to build up more than shampooing the whole length every time. Different people end up with different amounts of buildup even with the same product, but eventually most of us do well with an occasional clarifying wash where the length is deliberately and directly washed with a strong cleanser to remove all buildup.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2017, 01:22 PM
It's not a question of bad or good. It's about what your scalp can and can't handle.

I for one, can't go sulfate-free because my SD (seborrheic dermatitis) would have a field day! I need the harsh cleansers to keep my scalp squeaky clean so my SD doesn't act up.

It's different for everyone, not so much a question of bad or good.

If you're doing fine sulfate-free, then no worries! If you use conditioners with silicones in them, though, you might need to clarify (sulfate-wash) once in a while, though!

spidermom
February 22nd, 2017, 01:35 PM
Neither good nor bad; just depends on what your cleansing needs are and what your skin can tolerate.

morgue
February 22nd, 2017, 02:17 PM
Oh I see! Interesting! I just stopped using cones, I guess I'll have to dig through my old shampoos..

Thank you ladies! <3

ravenreed
February 23rd, 2017, 05:52 AM
My hair prefers sulfates but they are too harsh for my scalp. I balance things out by only using sulfate shampoo to clarify every so often.

Aphra
February 23rd, 2017, 06:12 AM
My scalp reacts to the sulphate free shampoos I've tried (and, tbf, a fair few sulphatey ones) by coming up in pus filled pimples. Oddly it can tolerate CO washing in small amounts, so I guess it is objecting to the other ingredients rather than the lack of cleansing. Last time I used a sulphate free shampoo it also wrecked my wash stretching. So not for me so far.

However, in order not to be wasteful I started using my eco shampoo as a shower gel, and that has cleared the hormone driven spots on my chest and neck beautifully. So, scalp = pro-sulphates. Body = pro-sulphate free. Face meanwhile can't tolerate either of them, and gets grumpy if I subject it to more than cold water and moisturiser (fortunately I don't wear make-up often). Skin. It's weird.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2017, 06:28 AM
My scalp reacts to the sulphate free shampoos I've tried (and, tbf, a fair few sulphatey ones) by coming up in pus filled pimples. Oddly it can tolerate CO washing in small amounts, so I guess it is objecting to the other ingredients rather than the lack of cleansing. Last time I used a sulphate free shampoo it also wrecked my wash stretching. So not for me so far.

However, in order not to be wasteful I started using my eco shampoo as a shower gel, and that has cleared the hormone driven spots on my chest and neck beautifully. So, scalp = pro-sulphates. Body = pro-sulphate free. Face meanwhile can't tolerate either of them, and gets grumpy if I subject it to more than cold water and moisturiser (fortunately I don't wear make-up often). Skin. It's weird.

Is your facial skin dry? I am extremely dry, and my face gets water in the morning, but not in the evening (oil cleansing). It gets awfully tight just from water alone.

Glad to hear you've found a happy medium in your routine. :)

sarahthegemini
February 23rd, 2017, 08:02 AM
I use sulfate shampoo every other day. My hair is fine and greasy and I love a good sudsy wash. If it works, it works.

mermaid lullaby
February 23rd, 2017, 10:50 AM
I use sulfate shampoos. My hair is still soft and its cheaper to buy this than sulfate free.

Aphra
February 23rd, 2017, 02:02 PM
Is your facial skin dry? I am extremely dry, and my face gets water in the morning, but not in the evening (oil cleansing). It gets awfully tight just from water alone.

Glad to hear you've found a happy medium in your routine. :)

Combination, so it can't have oils because it goes spotty, and it can't have anything too drying because it gets a rash. And water only and leaving it alone both lead to flakiness. At least water + moisturiser is low maintenance and cheap (it is a bit picky about which moisturiser, but that;s about getting one which is not too greasy rather than demanding fancy stuff).

I do wonder if my scalp would like something similar as it does object to most shampoos (including the gentle ones, and it really hates "natural" ones, while my hair loathes shampoo bars and anything soap based). It also objects to water only. Herbal Essences is my normal happy place, but today it has left it really itchy and dry. I did a lush henna treatment on Tuesday which both my hair and scalp loved - I thought with all the grease it would demand rapid cleansing, but I actually gained an extra day before I had to shampoo. So maybe the massive moisturising of the cocoa butter and conditioner only washing has down regulated sebum production and it got over-cleansed.

Chromis
February 23rd, 2017, 02:13 PM
Like others have said, depends on your scalp. I don't see a particular reason to use them unless you are using heavy cone-y conditioners generally.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2017, 04:05 PM
Combination, so it can't have oils because it goes spotty, and it can't have anything too drying because it gets a rash. And water only and leaving it alone both lead to flakiness. At least water + moisturiser is low maintenance and cheap (it is a bit picky about which moisturiser, but that;s about getting one which is not too greasy rather than demanding fancy stuff).

I do wonder if my scalp would like something similar as it does object to most shampoos (including the gentle ones, and it really hates "natural" ones, while my hair loathes shampoo bars and anything soap based). It also objects to water only. Herbal Essences is my normal happy place, but today it has left it really itchy and dry. I did a lush henna treatment on Tuesday which both my hair and scalp loved - I thought with all the grease it would demand rapid cleansing, but I actually gained an extra day before I had to shampoo. So maybe the massive moisturising of the cocoa butter and conditioner only washing has down regulated sebum production and it got over-cleansed.

Maybe try a soap bar on your face?

*Wednesday*
February 23rd, 2017, 07:20 PM
I use sulfate free. Once a month use Neutrogena Anti-Residue. That really strips away so good that it can leave your hair too dry. I use a deep conditioner right after.

Aphra
February 23rd, 2017, 08:14 PM
Maybe try a soap bar on your face?

Have done. It hates it. Fortunately it doesn't get dirtier than water can cope with, and moisturising prevents both oiliness and flakiness, so it is happy with the status quo. I'm just working on achieving the same happy position for various other parts including my scalp.

lapushka
February 24th, 2017, 04:39 AM
Have done. It hates it. Fortunately it doesn't get dirtier than water can cope with, and moisturising prevents both oiliness and flakiness, so it is happy with the status quo. I'm just working on achieving the same happy position for various other parts including my scalp.

I hear there's things like Cerave cleansers in the US, and they have a "hydrating" one that's pretty popular - maybe that's a good one to try. I wouldn't know. I don't have combo skin. ;)

Alissalocks
February 24th, 2017, 02:19 PM
I personally love sulfates. I'm a coney lady and my hair is really sensitive to build up so I use SLS in every wash. But only on my scalp and I kind of press the excess suds down my length.

This is me too, exactly this... :flower:

vpatt
February 24th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Well, I know that I just used Shimmer Lights and it has SLS and my hair and scalp feel great.....soft and silky. I used the PuraD'or shampoo for about 3 months and I began to get a few flakes.....I don't know if it was from the shampoo, but I think so.
So are cones in shampoo and conditioners? I don't see anything listed silicone.....but I guess they are hidden in long words.

Lilac Blossoms
February 25th, 2017, 07:34 AM
I use sulfate shampoo every other day. My hair is fine and greasy and I love a good sudsy wash. If it works, it works.

Same routine here. I wash every other day, and when I tried sulfate-free shampoo, my hair and scalp felt great- for two washes. After that, my head felt like someone had covered it in bacon grease. I also use leave-in conditioner and Argan oil spray, so I need something which removes build-up.

lapushka
February 25th, 2017, 09:21 AM
I know that after a week of not washing, my hair's got a lot of build-up, scalp too. So the sulfates do a great job at removing all of that gunk (that needs to be off of my head).

You just have to experiment with this a little. If you can go sulfate-free, more power to you. It would be my choice too, if I could and if it were more available to me here (sulfates are easier to obtain). Sadly, my scalp needs a "good clean" every time. I solve it by conditioning twice, because sulfate shampoos *can* be a little drying.

pandabarrier
February 25th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I started using sulfate-free shampoos in 2013. The scalp seemed to produce less sebum after 3 months of adjustment period, and I was able to wash twice a week as opposed to every other day. But when I started to use conditioner and masks when hair got longer there was buildup so I started using a sulfate shampoo for clarifying once in a while. I feel that every time I use a sulfate shampoo the scalp produces more sebum, and I have to wash again earlier. Everyone is different, that's just my input.

Rebel Rebel
February 28th, 2017, 04:48 PM
I only use a sulfate shampoo when I clarify which is something I'm doing about once a month. I use an actual cream shampoo regularly and then sometimes I'll use a sulfate free shampoo focused on the scalp. I love that day because I get a little more volume at my roots. I feel like my hair just can't take sulfates or any really sudsy shampoo regularly, as they're so drying to my hair. I think it's just so individual and I know people that use them often, without any negative results.