PDA

View Full Version : Can your height impact how long your hair looks?

- Lizzy -
February 22nd, 2017, 09:58 AM
I hope that question doesn't sound silly but I have wondered for the longest time: Does height impact how long our hair looks. Im pretty tall and have "Short" hair (about 2 inches below the armpit I think) and I wonder if I was short, would it appear longer?

lapushka
February 22nd, 2017, 10:00 AM
If you were short, you would have less hair, but it would appear longer, yes, if you go by body markers.

enterafox
February 22nd, 2017, 10:23 AM
Absolutely! My hair is about 22" measured as is the norm on here, on me the longest point of it is at the bottom of my bra strap (the rest at the top of it). I would imagine that that length would be a hell of a lot shorter on anybody taller than my meagre 5'1". I think it'd be about armpit length on most others!

vpatt
February 22nd, 2017, 10:40 AM
Yes, I am always whining about this, lol. While the length would remain the same the shorter the person the faster their hair will (usually) reach body markers. I have a friend with mid thigh length hair. On me that length might stretch to classic length. Sad but true, lol.

Lauraes
February 22nd, 2017, 10:44 AM
I'm only 4'10" so my hair appears to grow long really fast, when in fact it's just the height deception. :lol:

Arctic
February 22nd, 2017, 10:50 AM
Absolutely! My hair is about 22" measured as is the norm on here, on me the longest point of it is at the bottom of my bra strap (the rest at the top of it). I would imagine that that length would be a hell of a lot shorter on anybody taller than my meagre 5'1". I think it'd be about armpit length on most others!

Yes that's about APL on me :)

Hay_jules
February 22nd, 2017, 10:52 AM

Lol yes 22" is exactly APL on me.

As to the original question, yes I'm 5' 9" and when i joined here my hair was exactly shoulder at 17". When i joined the shoulder to APL thread I noticed that a lot of people who were nearly APL had the same measurements as me. I'm at 19" now but have watched a few people reach APL and leave the thread with 18 or so.

VersLaLumière
February 22nd, 2017, 11:01 AM
Yea I'm 5' 8.5" and my hair is 25.75" which isn't even a proper BSL on me. My hair doesn't really look very long but probably would on somebody else :/

vampyyri
February 22nd, 2017, 11:24 AM
Yup, I'm 5'9" with a short torso, so past HL, everything is really spread out :p

missbexy
February 22nd, 2017, 11:58 AM
I'm 5"1 and I think my hair in in the 22 to 25 inch range in my profile pic (which really needs updating). My current 32" (approximately) goes a little way onto my bottom. If I measured that length on my much taller boyfriend it would probably be about mid back :laugh:

Kiiruna
February 22nd, 2017, 12:18 PM
Definitely yes. I'm ~5'9" (176cm) and my hair is 26 inches (67cm) and at bsl.

Anje
February 22nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
Weight can make a difference too. The fatter I get, the higher my natural waist is!

Body proportions can also make a difference. I'm 5'7" but have a short-torso, so BSL-Waist-Hip really isn't a very long progression and can be accomplished within a year. For people who are long through their torsos, this could easily take closer to 2 years.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2017, 01:18 PM
Definitely yes. I'm ~5'9" (176cm) and my hair is 26 inches (67cm) and at bsl.

I'm waist at 27 (I think) and I'm 5'.7" - very short torso, though!

Hairkay
February 22nd, 2017, 01:37 PM
Yes, height, body shape and even hair type impact on how long your hair looks. Most people won't know my hair is waist length (about 29 inches) because of shrinkage. I'm 5ft 5. Hair length even changes when it is in plaits/braids it looks longest at BSL/MBL. Loose hair looks APL. I don't wear it straight and I'm not likely to change that.

Hay_jules
February 22nd, 2017, 02:17 PM
I'm waist at 27 (I think) and I'm 5'.7" - very short torso, though!

BSL on me is 28". I do have a long torso...one piece bathing suits just snicker at me.

Nique1202
February 22nd, 2017, 06:16 PM
My classic length is just 40", because my legs are improbably long for my height. (I'm 5'2". My torso is so short my hips and rips almost touch. Most people's legs are 45% of their height, mine are fully 50%.) So, for most people 40" might be bcl or tailbone, but for me it's full classic. Even most people my height have a longer measurement for classic length, and so would need more length to have hair that looks the same length against their body.

trolleypup
February 22nd, 2017, 06:42 PM
I'm only 4'10" so my hair appears to grow long really fast, when in fact it's just the height deception. :lol:
Mmm yes! I'm at 62-ish inches...I'm 5' 10" and at calf length. That would be Floor on Lauraes!

missbexy
February 23rd, 2017, 02:56 AM
My torso is so short my hips and rips almost touch

Oh yes, I meant to mention that I'm much more legs than torso as well, I also only have about a finger's width of space between my hips and my rib cage.

enterafox
February 23rd, 2017, 03:04 AM

Mmm yes! I'm at 62-ish inches...I'm 5' 10" and at calf length. That would be Floor on Lauraes!

62" would be on the floor for me too! Mad! :laugh:

truepeacenik
February 23rd, 2017, 08:40 AM
This is one reason some people start measurements at inches and some prefer body markers.
I joked on a now-archived thread that tall people ideas numbers, short people used markers.

For me, body landmarks paid off faster until waist through classic.
Like Nique, my legs are a larger percentage of body length. Not quite as dramatic as her extra five percent. Maybe three percent.
I'm curious if knee to calf will seem fast, after years of Vast Plains of the Thigh.

Here I am playing with numbers and landmarks, from my blog:

11 Dec. 2016
49 inches, 124.5 cm.

next landmark goal
solid knee
52 inches, 132 cm
6-7 months from now?

calf, widest part of the gastrocnemius
56 inches, 142 cm
14 months from now, without any major trimming, so more likely 16-18 months.
Then-
retire my 60inch measuring tape!

One end point I've seriously considered is my height, 62 inches, or 157.5 cm.
that is ankle. I'd be beyond thrilled to get there.

lucid
February 23rd, 2017, 10:02 AM
I'm 176 cm (5'9"):
- Hip length: 87 cm (34'')
- Tailbone length: 104 cm (41'')
- Classic: 118 cm (46'')

Robot Ninja
February 23rd, 2017, 10:23 AM
Weight can make a difference too. The fatter I get, the higher my natural waist is!

And if you have big buns and cannot lie it would probably take longer to reach classic, no?

Tosca
February 23rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
And if you have big buns and cannot lie it would probably take longer to reach classic, no?

I have big buns and I cannot lie, it took me three years to get from waist to classic (~15 inches).

Rowdy
February 23rd, 2017, 03:36 PM
I'm 5'8"

SL = 17"
APL = 22"
BSL = 27"
WL = 32"
HL = 36" (I consider hip length to be where my 'hip bones' stick out on my front. Top of my iliac crest might be about 34")
TBL = 41"
CL = 45"
KL = 56"

I don't think I'll ever venture beyond HL but it was fun to measure all the way down to my knees! It's neat to see how everyone's body markers relate to in/cm.

lunalocks
February 23rd, 2017, 04:30 PM
Definitely, and sometimes this is discouraging. I am almost 5'11'' and at 48 inches now which is FTL for me. Others who are shorter would be at knee by now.

raemarthe
February 23rd, 2017, 04:32 PM
I'm 5'8
Apl=23" (I think, its been a while)
Bsl=27"
Waist=30.5"
Hip=34"

Meanwhile, I helped my cousin determine her body markers, and her waist was 28". On her, my length hair would be close to hip and on me I haven't reached waist yet. Probably the only reason I dislike my height! lol

littlestarface
February 23rd, 2017, 04:48 PM
I dunno how anyone can think like this, isnt this thinking kind of a downer? I mean who cares how tall or short one is, just grow your own hair and who cares if I was xyz tall itd be this length now, thats just crazy lol.

Crystawni
February 23rd, 2017, 07:50 PM
Compare a longhaired child to a longhaired adult. Or smaller still, a Barbie doll. So many proportions go into the mix to skew "longness" results; even hemline shape. In the end, it's all relative.

truepeacenik
February 23rd, 2017, 11:59 PM
I dunno how anyone can think like this, isnt this thinking kind of a downer? I mean who cares how tall or short one is, just grow your own hair and who cares if I was xyz tall itd be this length now, thats just crazy lol.

I left my measuring tape undistirbed for several years.
Now, I think in body landmark terms, and I'm very precise with them. Tailbone on me is the tip of my coccyx, a verifiable and actual point. Hip lined up with the greater trochanter. Knee is the popliteal crease. Calf, the widest part of the gastrocs.

So for me, the numbers are a fun game. Especially equating hair the length of my own height to a point on my body.
No bummer here.

Classic covered it up. ;)

Lizzie.torp
February 24th, 2017, 12:53 AM
This really is a bummer for me. I'm 5'1", but all waist so I it'll take me 2+ years to get from APL (22in) to HIP(36in) and everyone will maybe not think it looks as long since I'm short. But you know, there's pros and cons to each side and everyone's journey is beautiful. It's also nice to see everyone's measurements as a curiosity.

Dante
February 24th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I'm 179cm (5'10") and my 29" hair is only BSL. And I have a short torso!

I also have big buns, so classic is a long way off :D

lovetoread
February 26th, 2017, 08:42 PM
This really is a bummer for me. I'm 5'1", but all waist so I it'll take me 2+ years to get from APL (22in) to HIP(36in) and everyone will maybe not think it looks as long since I'm short. But you know, there's pros and cons to each side and everyone's journey is beautiful. It's also nice to see everyone's measurements as a curiosity.

I agree. Yes, shorter people might reach body marker lengths faster, but I think hair looks longer on a taller person. For example, I am 5' 0" and have almost WL hair, but I know people who are in the 5'5"- 5'6" who have just past BSL hair, but when we're together, they get A LOT more comments on the length of their hair than I do mine. So, as you said, there's pros and cons to both sides. I also love seeing everyone's measurements and where that length hits on their body.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 26th, 2017, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure. I'm 5 4" but 28" hits Waist/hip on me UNSTRETCHED. So stretched it would hit about tailbone. The thing is, I have a short torso. So to me I think it's not really about height specifically but how long ones torso is.
I'm BSL now but I haven't measured my hair in awhile so I don't know where it's at measurement wise. But the fact that 29" can be BSL on some people but Waist/hip on me is a sign of something.

Totty
February 28th, 2017, 10:21 AM
I agree. Yes, shorter people might reach body marker lengths faster, but I think hair looks longer on a taller person. For example, I am 5' 0" and have almost WL hair, but I know people who are in the 5'5"- 5'6" who have just past BSL hair, but when we're together, they get A LOT more comments on the length of their hair than I do mine. So, as you said, there's pros and cons to both sides. I also love seeing everyone's measurements and where that length hits on their body.

I agree with you

phoenixred
February 28th, 2017, 11:04 AM
I'm sure it must. I'm 5 "9 asond very long in the body, so my hair has quite a way to grow to teach the base of my back 😕

phoenixred
February 28th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I'm 179cm (5'10") and my 29" hair is only BSL. And I have a short torso!

I also have big buns, so classic is a long way off :D

I feel your pain! I'm nearly as tall as you, but I have a long torso ��

Mrstran
March 4th, 2017, 11:24 AM
It's been a bit, but I was just looking at one of my pictures and it had me thinking about this thread, so I had to come back.

From behind it looks like my head vertically is on the taller side (meaning it isn't more on the round or shorter side.)
I know I don't exactly have a short neck either. I imagined what my hair length would be if my head and neck were just a bit shorter, and my legs a bit longer ( so my entire body height as a whole wouldn't change ) and in changing this, my hair would actually be closer to BSL than it is. As an addition, where my arm pit lines are creates an added illusion. The more inches there are between arm pit lines and shoulders, the shorter hair will look.
The same for long torsos. The longer the torso inches, the shorter hair looks because of the inches in between measuring points, despite overall height.

There are people that stand the same height and share the same length but have different body proportions making hair look shorter or longer. Which is just an illusion.