PDA

View Full Version : Gray Hair and Color Help/Advice Please

MotherofJames
February 22nd, 2017, 04:32 AM
Hiya😝

I need some advice . Not sure what to do. I don't want to dye my hair anymore but I have so many gray hairs it is taking over my head. The problem that I have with that is that I am a performer in Orlando. I cannot have gray hair, I work with many other women and our contracts states we have to always look stage ready.

I tried coffee, tea, henna in 2014, which seemed to kinda mess up my hair balance(not sure why... maybe it was the brand) Those pesky grays wont withstand coffee or tea stains.

Any advice here on which color is maybe vegan, natural , safe to do, etc etc ? Which brand do you like and why? I need some alternatives :(

Thank you for the advice 😇
Happy Growing

ghanima
February 22nd, 2017, 05:05 AM
Have you tried Adore dyes? I have no personal experience with them but I've read good things here in LHC. They don't damage the hair.

Aphra
February 22nd, 2017, 05:08 AM
Sounds like a job for a direct deposit vegetable dye. They do cover grey in my experience, and while most of them are crazy colours, Adore do a nice range of natural colours. They fade quite quickly, but I've found it to be quite a natural fade, there are tricks to make them last longer (mostly involving washing in cold water), and they are safe to use reasonably often as they are conditioner based and don't contain bleach, ammonia etc. The major limitation is you can only go your natural colour or darker, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are covering greys.

Obsidian
February 22nd, 2017, 05:11 AM
Manic panic is vegan and has a few natural colors. It's safe and natural.
http://www.manicpanic.com/high-voltage-cream-formula-hair-color

Arctic
February 22nd, 2017, 05:25 AM
Elumen is a good brand too, although I admit I don't know if it's vegan.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2017, 05:57 AM
Yep, seconding the DD dyes as well; you need stronger things than tea or coffee over gray hair, especially if you need to be stage-ready (and they probably mean it too). :flower:

MotherofJames
February 22nd, 2017, 05:26 PM
I have not tried Adore , but I'm going to google that and look it up!! I think another person told me that as well too so it's gotta be great !

MotherofJames
February 22nd, 2017, 05:27 PM
Is Herbatint considered a DD vegetable dye? I'm assuming adore is better than herbatint ? Thank you for the help!

MotherofJames
February 22nd, 2017, 05:28 PM
Wow!! I always thought manic panic was a synthetic brand . That is wonderful !

MotherofJames
February 22nd, 2017, 05:29 PM
Elumen is a good brand too, although I admit I don't know if it's vegan.

I'll check that out . Thanks!

Obsidian
February 22nd, 2017, 06:47 PM
Is Herbatint considered a DD vegetable dye? I'm assuming adore is better than herbatint ? Thank you for the help!

No, its a pretty much a regular boxed dye with some added herbs.

swearnsue
February 22nd, 2017, 07:25 PM
There is an herb, like henna, but dyes hair a dark brown. I cannot think of the name of it. Similar to henna, I believe it is permanent, covers gray and adds shine. Sorry I can't think of the name but people also add it to henna to tame the red/orange.

kittengirl
February 22nd, 2017, 07:29 PM
There is an herb, like henna, but dyes hair a dark brown. I cannot think of the name of it. Similar to henna, I believe it is permanent, covers gray and adds shine. Sorry I can't think of the name but people also add it to henna to tame the red/orange.

Do you mean indigo?

Rhoward
February 22nd, 2017, 08:14 PM
Delorenzo is Vegan and they have both direct dyes (mousse cans) and permanent and semi permanent dyes (Novacolor).

Its a huge salon brand here in Australia, not sure if it is available internationally but its worth a look if you want a permanent vegan dye.

http://www.delorenzo.com.au/ranges/

lapushka
February 23rd, 2017, 08:13 AM

Buxus? That's not permanent. Amla? Not permanent either.

Rebel Rebel
February 23rd, 2017, 04:17 PM
Can you wear a really fabulous wig as a performer and save your real hair? They can be expensive though and I suppose it depends on the style your hair needs to be for your work. There are so many realistic options these days.

Anje
February 23rd, 2017, 07:16 PM
Honestly, my grays don't pick up normal Adore very well if I haven't bleached it. I've got this interesting amber-purple thing going on my unbleached hair at the moment, and the darn whites are just sparkly in the middle of it all. (Admittedly, I haven't applied it full-strength for this color, just diluted in conditioner, which is going to impact the effectiveness.) Longer time and some heat would probably help.

Are you thinking about going to a natural color, or something a bit bright and wild?

ghanima
February 24th, 2017, 03:33 AM
Dammit! I thought it would cover the greys, I was getting all ready to use it too for that same purpose.... so henndigo would be the only natural solution?

Aphra
February 24th, 2017, 04:18 AM
Grey coverage is a massive YMMV thing. I get good coverage from some colours, and none from others, and other people report failure with colours that work for me and success with colours that don't etc.

Only thing you can really do is try it (strand test or post strand test on your hair to see how it stands up to your routine).

Anje
February 24th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Dammit! I thought it would cover the greys, I was getting all ready to use it too for that same purpose.... so henndigo would be the only natural solution?

Grey coverage is a massive YMMV thing. I get good coverage from some colours, and none from others, and other people report failure with colours that work for me and success with colours that don't etc.

Only thing you can really do is try it (strand test or post strand test on your hair to see how it stands up to your routine).

Yeah, it could vary a lot by person, so don't rule it out just because I'm seeing sparkles when I apply it diluted. My grays have exactly the same slick fine texture as the rest of my hair, where lots of people have grays that are a different texture, so theirs might take up dye differently from mine, too. I'd say to give Adore a try. It's like $4.50 a bottle and if it doesn't work, it'll fade out after a while. Pretty low-risk in my book and doesn't lock you in like henndigo.

MotherofJames
February 24th, 2017, 12:02 PM
No, its a pretty much a regular boxed dye with some added herbs.

ew yuck! haha...

MotherofJames
February 24th, 2017, 12:13 PM
hey thanks everyone! I wound up choosing a henna/cassia/indigo blend instead. I did have henna on my hair a while ago ( and didnt want to go back to it) but I discovered last night that it was quite possibly the brand that made all the difference. I researched this new one and I think its as close as I can get to what I want, which is a brown reddish color. I do understand that true henna is always red, but I need some brown in there for me so I will either add coffee or tea to it and let you know how it will turn out. I researched the other brands and I just felt they were the right fit.
hair dye and gray color coverage is such a catch 22 LOL. and to answer one of the comments, the wig thing, I was scared because another performer here once had her wig fall off mid performance and got cut from the show so I always told myself not to do that eeeekkkk ;)

catasa
February 24th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I use a deposit only color called Santé, which contains only (or at least almost only) botanical/herbal ingredients. I use the powder version, there is a cream version as well which I´ve never tried. Most of the nuances contain henna, it washes out without leaving a nasty demarcation line but it does stain permanently a little bit, I don´t do full lengths every time, only now and then, since they get darker and darker otherwise. Note though that most of the nuances also contains black walnut shell which is apparently considered possibly toxic, though I don´t know in what amounts and conditions. I tried to find some other way to cover my grays but have returned to this color despite the walnut, as I haven´t found anything else hair friendly with a good natural-looking coverage.

I mix the powder with boiling water, apply when cooled off enough, and leave it on under a plastic cap and a knitted beanie for about two hours. It covers my grays really well, they are lighter than the rest of the hair in a quite natural looking way, but not gray at all. I usually feel the need to reapply on the grays every 4-5 weeks. Another great thing about this color is that it doesn´t stain my bathroom porcelain or tiles, it just dries into a harmless powder. It doesn´t really stain my skin the way "real" colors do either.

Logona is a similar brand though I´ve never tried it personally. They are Germans brands, but it seems at least Santé is available in the US: https://www.sante-usa.com/herbal-hair-colors-100-gm.html. I use maybe half a package for my whole (waist length thinnish) hair, and a fourth/a third for roots/canopy.

ETA: just saw that you had decided on something, I hope it turns out well!