PDA

View Full Version : Thinning shears disaster

shoosie
February 20th, 2017, 07:32 PM
So recently I went to cut my hair (it was bleached and damaged so I wanted to get rid of the ends) and she used thinning shears and now there's so many short strands of hair sticking out throughout the length of my hair. It's horrifying. Does anyone have the same experience as me?

Any tips of taming that frizz down? Does the shorter strands actually settle in better as it grows out?

shoosie
February 21st, 2017, 12:14 AM
Haha hi, anyone able to give some advice? ����

wispe
February 21st, 2017, 12:37 AM
I haven't used thinning shears but I do have a section of hair that broke off right at my crown (bleach mishap) that used to stick straight out. I parted it on the opposite side for about a month so it wouldn't poke straight up and it started integrating into the bulk of my hair pretty quickly. At most I should think any shorter bits should start blending in after a few months, if not sooner? My sister has super thick, course, wavy hair and had her hair thinned with thinning shears last haircut and her hair smoothed out after I think a couple months. I think I remember this topic being discussed in a thread maybe a few months back, if I can find it I'll edit with a link.

shoosie
February 21st, 2017, 01:18 AM
I haven't used thinning shears but I do have a section of hair that broke off right at my crown (bleach mishap) that used to stick straight out. I parted it on the opposite side for about a month so it wouldn't poke straight up and it started integrating into the bulk of my hair pretty quickly. At most I should think any shorter bits should start blending in after a few months, if not sooner? My sister has super thick, course, wavy hair and had her hair thinned with thinning shears last haircut and her hair smoothed out after I think a couple months. I think I remember this topic being discussed in a thread maybe a few months back, if I can find it I'll edit with a link.

Ok sure, thank you so much! When your sis just got her hair thinned out, it sticked out too at the start?

lapushka
February 21st, 2017, 03:31 AM
Next time tell your hair dresser not to use thinning shears.

But I think she did her best to get rid of as much damage as possible. It was either this, much shorter, or the damage, I think. :flower:

Simsy
February 21st, 2017, 05:46 AM
I used to use thinning shears when I felt my hair was a bit too much to handle. Yes they will start to blend, in the meantime try a little bit of oil or light gel to keep them manageable. Also French and Dutch braids are good options for keeping things tidy while everything grows out.

spidermom
February 21st, 2017, 07:26 AM
I've always had thick hair and was subjected to thinning shears on a number of occasions. I came to hate the results with a fiery passion and now tell stylists DO NOT THIN IT. Anyway, finishing a style with a bit of gel rubbed between palms, then smoothed over the surface helped to make the hair look less like dandelion going to seed. It helps tame the fly-away newer, shorter hairs, too.

shoosie
February 21st, 2017, 05:59 PM
Thanks all for the input! I'll use oil and hopefully it will blend in with my hair and not stick out when it's longer :)