PDA

View Full Version : Really Cleaning Scalp Without Damaging Hair

Katia_k
February 20th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I bought a scalp conditioner, (basically just a big blend of essential oils and jojoba oil in a solid form), and tried it out this week, because I get flakes, so I thought it would help maybe. It didn't make my hair feel bad, but left a bunch of leftovers on my scalp. Not sure if this is from not rubbing it in enough, or if my hair doesn't like the combo.

Anyway, in trying to wash this out, it made me realize, after still finding orange conditioner gunk on my scalp even after using my Kinky Curly clarifying shampoo, that I may be doing something wrong in cleaning the scalp. I have always been hesitant to really get in there and rub, because it seems to make me shed something fierce. And I had thought that my clarifier would take care of most things, since I use it on a weekly basis. My hair loves it; it gets clean, and never feels weighed down. But apparently it's not reaching my scalp. So just wondering what you guys do to really cleanse ? Do I just need to get less afraid to really get in there and scritch? Should I buy a more intense clarifier for less frequent intense treatments? Would some tea tree oil treatments help me out? I always thought I was just flakey because I was flakey, but am now wondering if it's my cleaning methods, and if I can therefore help fix the problem a little.

For further info, I pre-poo once or twice a week, shampoo scalp with KCCC, do not condition scalp, and do not have itching since I ditched sulfates.

PixieP
February 20th, 2017, 04:47 PM
I need to get in and really massage the scalp or else it'll get oily and itchy! I'm pretty sure the hairs I shed are natural shed, hair that has reached its terminal length and is ready to go. They often loosen up and come out a bit earlier when the scalp is massaged. I see less shed hairs on my brush for a weeks time after clarifying, even though I shed more during clarifying than normal shampooing. A happy scalp is super important for long, healthy hair, and a scalp that is clogged with old conditioner isn't happy for long! :)

Tosca
February 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I recommend a scalp scrubber. Where I live I can get them for $2 each. Do you know if you have a dry scalp? That is what causes my flaking, and CO washing has helped, though I am still fine tuning which conditioner is best for me.

Arctic
February 20th, 2017, 05:05 PM
I don't scritch but I spread the shampoo evenly all over my scalp and massage for a moment. ETA: I've gotten an impression that I might use more shampoo than many here do.

Anje
February 20th, 2017, 05:12 PM
I always felt that my scalp got cleaner when I diluted my shampoo (a cheap sulfate-loaded one) in a bunch of water and then just squirted it all over my scalp. If it wasn't enough to lather well, I just kept adding more. It seemed to go to the scalp and distribute much better when squirted on than when I was trying to get a thick shampoo gel through the hair.

Obsidian
February 20th, 2017, 05:39 PM
I always rub my scalp vigorously and even that isn't always enough to really clean it so at times, I do scritch it. I've tried using diluted poo applied directly to my scalp and its just not enough to help. I need to work full strength into the roots.

Katia_k
February 20th, 2017, 07:18 PM
I recommend a scalp scrubber. Where I live I can get them for $2 each. Do you know if you have a dry scalp? That is what causes my flaking, and CO washing has helped, though I am still fine tuning which conditioner is best for me.

I honestly can't tell on the dry scalp thing, which probably sounds really dumb. I did try co-washing once, and it was kind of a miserable failure. My hair is low porosity, so I found that it was much happier with a mild clarifying shampoo when I showered, otherwise it got greasy way faster. I am intrigued by this scalp-scrubber though...might take a look at that. Because I'm starting to realize how much it needs to be cleaned up.

I always felt that my scalp got cleaner when I diluted my shampoo (a cheap sulfate-loaded one) in a bunch of water and then just squirted it all over my scalp. If it wasn't enough to lather well, I just kept adding more. It seemed to go to the scalp and distribute much better when squirted on than when I was trying to get a thick shampoo gel through the hair.

I've never tried this, but I do have less than a quarter of a bottle of shampoo left now, so now might be a good time to try this. My shampoo isn't terribly thick, but maybe thick enough that it's having problems. Good suggestion.

Oubli
February 20th, 2017, 09:54 PM

I always dilute my shampoo, to the point that I have a gallon jug with a pump lid, I dump an entire 18 - 24 oz shampoo in and fill the rest with water. Shampoo lasts me forever and it has more than enough cleaning power for me. I can't complete cut shampoo from my hair but I can limit it's exposure and it does seem to work much better at coating and getting it much cleaner when it's not a gel.

Oubli
February 20th, 2017, 10:32 PM
So I had my hair go limp, gunky and greasy on me when I traveled to visit a friend who had much different water than me, took me forever to figure it out and treat it. I got a sturdy toothbrush (new pls otherwise gross!) and sectioned my hair off and scrubbed my scalp with sulfate shampoo, it too me an hour sectioning everything 3/4in apart, bit by bit and scrubbed everything. If you are good about sectioning and have a mirror you can gently scrub your scalp without damaging your hair. It's also the act of letting the surfactants have enough time to do their job, that shampoo hung out for an hour degreasing and degunking my scalp, it wasn't a 5 minute scrub in the shower. Afterwards I followed up with a scalp sritching while doing a vinegar pour over, again let this penetrate and have time to do it's work of breaking down the gunk. Rinse. You could do your normal hair care routine here if you feel it's been effective enough (a gf of mine had to do this 3 times to get beeswax pomade off her scalp) but I oiled my scalp with something light sesame oil usually with an essential oil to keep the scalp protected and sanitary while your own sebum has a chance to catch up. Scalp was squeaky clean after, I worried about dryness/itching if I hadn't oiled it. Et voila, my hair was back to normal!

lapushka
February 21st, 2017, 04:25 AM
If you have a flaky scalp, I would go see a dermatologist. Flakes bigger than dandruffy pinpricks are always a reason to worry. I suffer from a scalp condition called SD, seborrheic dermatitis (flaking, itching, redness sometimes). I normally need to use a medicated shampoo (Nizoral 2%) for it, but if I don't have a flare-up I can keep it pretty much at bay with a regular sulfate shampoo... if I don't have a flare-up!!!

Now, it may not be that, but if it is, conditioner on the scalp is counterproductive, as are oils on the scalp, they feed the fungal overgrowth you have with this condition, making it worse, not better.

My advice? Go see a doctor! Please. :flower:

Katia_k
February 21st, 2017, 01:07 PM
I'll go get it looked at eventually, but it doesn't have any of the itching or redness that usually seems to be associated with scalp conditions, it just gets a bit gunky. It did used to get a bit itchy, but ditching sulfates seems to have entirely solved this issue, since it's been gone for a year now.

Going to try diluted shampoo, and maybe a scalp brush, though I'm leary of that causing breakage, so still thinking about that one.

littlestarface
February 21st, 2017, 02:11 PM
Make sure to comb your scalp before you shower. I get gunk on my scalp like white stuff when I scratch and now I use my tangle teezer to brush my scalp and loosen that crap before I get in the shower, while in the shower I use full shampoo and leave it on my scalp for a few mins then rinse it off. It works good as I have no more residue on my scalp.

Katia_k
February 21st, 2017, 05:03 PM
Does the brushing do any damage? I only ask because I have notoriously weak hair and am a little scared of brushing at all...

Ophidian
February 21st, 2017, 05:22 PM
I have to scritch and brush before I wash too.

I also like to do an oil treatment and leave it on my scalp for a little while before I scritch and wash (I use dilute shampoo). This really helps me keep my scalp clear. I don't have a scalp condition though, just some sebum build up and winter dryness. This works great for some but can exacerbate certain conditions so it's important to keep that in mind.

littlestarface
February 21st, 2017, 07:44 PM
Does the brushing do any damage? I only ask because I have notoriously weak hair and am a little scared of brushing at all...

No but I use a tangle teezer and it doesn't damage, well from what I can see. I do it after I oil my hair and right before a wash. Just be gentle with the length thats what I do. Hope it helps you.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 21st, 2017, 08:38 PM
Diluted shampoo in a bottle with a nozzle and gently massaged all over the scalp works well for me. I use an old dye applicator bottle to apply the diluted shampoo. I don't seem to need so much shampoo, either, this way.