PDA

View Full Version : Removing coconut oil with shampoo bar, is it possible?

Mammasaurusrex
February 20th, 2017, 01:07 PM
I did a coconut oil mask on my hair and I am afraid that when I try to rinse it out it won't work very well. I do not use traditional shampoo and conditioner on my hair. I wash with j.r. Liggett's old fashioned tea tree and hemp oil bar shampoo and rinse with ACV. Will this be sufficient enough to get the coconut oil out? The last time I did a mask like this was last year when I was still using mane and tail shampoo and conditioner. I apologize if this has been asked before. I am sure it probably has but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm hunting in the shampoo bar thread now.

Chromis
February 20th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I've never had any trouble doing so. If you are not getting much lather, just do another quick pass.

lapushka
February 20th, 2017, 03:09 PM
It all depends on how much oil you used, on how many times you need to wash it out. But no doubt it can be done. :)

Mammasaurusrex
February 20th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Awesome, thank you both! My ends are pretty saturated but there is not a lot of oil on my scalp. The shampoo bar I have never lathers up, even when I'm just using it on hair that doesn't have a mask on it. I wish it did lather though because I like a little lather! I'll wash it a few times and hope for the best :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 20th, 2017, 03:45 PM
It should work. I get olive oil out with CV shampoo bars and EVOO is way heavier than coconut oil.

Chromis
February 20th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I lather more than once. Even with a water softener now, the first pass doesn't lather up much and before not at all. Lather, rinse clean, lather, rinse clean and then in the end I do my acidic rinse. No worse than doing shampoo and conditioner really. Before the softener I did sometimes have to do a third lather just on my scalp if I had really oiled it heavily.

Mammasaurusrex
February 20th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Update: the ends are squeaky clean! So that's good. But my roots are still all packy and oily. So weird. I specifically tried to stay away from them for that reason! Oh well. I'm going to wash next week with the CV Ayurvedic bar and see if I get a different result.