PDA

View Full Version : I've messed up while S&D'ing!!!

CreatureBailey
February 20th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Did anyone else ever accidently chopped a strand of hairs while cutting through split ends? I mean I accidently chopped off let's say about 10 hairs off. I dunno how it happened. I was aimging for a split and accidently cut 10 hairs all at once. at about the same level that I already have shorter hairs do to previous bangs tho...and around the same place. Still. Ooopss

*desperate yodel in the background*

Henrietta
February 20th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Does it blend in decently with the rest of your hair? I don't remember cutting off a strand accidentally, but I did cut tendrils from the strands of hair that are right in front of my ears. (I wanted them to hang loose to soften my updos.) I never trimmed them and they grew, blending nicely with the rest.

likelikepenny
February 20th, 2017, 10:08 AM
I did this because my scissor blades are too big for S&D.

spidermom
February 20th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Yes. I took it as a sign that I was just too tired to do such detailed work.

wispe
February 20th, 2017, 10:09 AM
I get anxious when I S&D because I'm afraid I might do this! At least it was only a few hairs and won't be too noticeable.

lapushka
February 20th, 2017, 10:27 AM
10 strands is negligible, don't worry about it. ;) :) Plus, it's an accident! Cut yourself some slack. :flower:

Back when my mom cut my white dots out, they were easy to spot. She ran an entire chunk over her finger, and the white dots would form a sharp edge where the dot was, but there were a lot of them, so it thinned out my hem from hip all the way to BSL (cut back to BSL back then).

school of fish
February 20th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Yes, from time to time :) Don't sweat it, 10 hairs should blend in to the length invisibly - it's a drop in the ocean ;)

Like spidermom indicated, something like that is often a good sign that's it's time to put the scissors down for that session - it can be really easy to get kind of obsessive over fine detail work and when fatigue sets in then little mistakes creep in more easily ;)

Here's a story to make you feel better - a few months back I tore a sizeable section from the front parts of my hair when they got caught in a costume I was wearing during a 1/2-hour dance show. A full half hour of tangling my ends up into my costume fringe... My hair was so tangled up I almost had to resort to scissors to cut it out - I was able to avoid the scissors but lost a LOT of hair from those ends. At the time I thought there would be no hiding it, but members here assured me that within a couple months those torn ends would just blend - they were right :) The shorter ends are still there, but don't show now at all - they just blend in to the rest of the length :) So take heart, those 10 hairs won't betray your secret ;) ;)

Anje
February 20th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Yep, been there, done that. Probably more than that.

Honestly, 10 strands isn't much. In most locations, it won't even show. Just comb it back, take a break from S&D, and write it off. It'll be OK.

lapis_lazuli
February 20th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Yes, that sounds familiar! Try to isolate each hair to be safe. Still, don't worry about it, 10 hairs won't be noticeable :)

lapushka
February 20th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Here I am saying 10 hairs are negligible, when I once complained about breakage of about 5 hairs that I spotted. I mean... it's always almost "nothing" when it happens to someone else, isn't it? :o But I had some wise advice back then too ;) and the breakage resolved itself with ROO. Don't stress over it too much. It's not the end of the world.

MidnightMoon
February 20th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Did anyone else ever accidently chopped a strand of hairs while cutting through split ends? I mean I accidently chopped off let's say about 10 hairs off. I dunno how it happened. I was aimging for a split and accidently cut 10 hairs all at once. at about the same level that I already have shorter hairs do to previous bangs tho...and around the same place. Still. Ooopss

*desperate yodel in the background*

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Carolyn
February 20th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Like others have said, don't stress over 10 hairs. It's a shock when you accidentally snip a little piece of hair off like that. But really, in the long run, it's not a big deal. I've done it more than once. Once I combed or brushed my hair I couldn't find the spot.

MidnightMoon
February 20th, 2017, 01:58 PM
To add something to the thread... back when I was a teenager I liked the attention chopping a random strand from the top of my head in a group of friends would get me. Everyone was obsessed with looking nice, and it was a way of saying "I don't give a f...". Stupid, I know.
Anyway, the butchered strand would eventually merge/disappear, it didn't stick out for long, and mind it, it was definitely more than just 10 hairs hehe.

littlestarface
February 20th, 2017, 01:59 PM
You guys take it all so easy, if it was me I would've cried for hours and vowed to never touch scissors again.

Garnetgem
February 20th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Yes i have but not really worried about it i just said to myself "Oh it will grow back" and we shed more than that in the shower at times...don't beat yourself up about it as 10 hairs is unlikely to show and will grow back in no time..in my school days kids would put a match to other kids hair on the school bus while sitting behind them and whoosh up it went and a lot more than 10 hairs would go on them days!...so after i have witnessed that i feel if i slip and accidentally cut a few hairs during my S&D then its fine...

Kae612
February 21st, 2017, 11:44 AM
Yes!!! I think every time I S&D I accidentally catch some healthy hairs. If I can't quite separate out the split hair sometimes 2-4 healthy hairs get cut with it. I am still learning and I need better scissors too. It works better if I can pinch the offensive split hair in two fingers separate from the rest of my hair first, but sometimes if I'm twisting a section and don't have that free hand the split demands a sacrifice lol. (I'm glad it's not just me and my clumsy hands)

VersLaLumière
February 22nd, 2017, 11:17 AM
I've cut off part of my eyebrows during bang trims :roll eyes:

I've made little mistakes during S&D too but so far nothing too major...fingers crossed.