PDA

View Full Version : African Butterflies

AutumnLeaves
October 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
I did a search and didn't see a thread about these neat hair accessories. I did see that they were mentioned in three threads but the titles didn't have anything to do with them, so I decided to start this one because I just love my AB. Xandergrammy got me interested in them as I became intrigued by the look of hers when she wore it and posted pics.

I finally was able to buy one and I must say that it is probably my most secure hair accessory ever, short of a rubber band for pony tails (and even those sometimes break)! They are also very comfortable, dress up an imperfect twist or bun, and for me, they hold all day without hurting or giving me a headache. I love 'em!

So besides Leni, has anyone else experienced the same comfort and hold with these as I have?:)

burns_erin
October 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Are these what you are talking about?

http://www.africanbutterfly.com/

wendyg
October 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I like them when I'm going to spend a day outdoors - they scoop up more of the small hairs that blow in my face.

wg

sapphire-o
October 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I have one and like it OK. If I've never experienced the comfort of sticks and forks I'd think they're very nice. :) To me it works but isn't as comfortable as sticks or fork or as secure as Ficcare. I think I'm just too spoiled by the good hairtoys. :D

eresh
October 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
I have three of those, they hold up my hair, but it takes me a while to get them in just right so there are no pulling hairs.
They do stay up throughout the day without slipping but sometimes it gives me a headache as they are very tight (on me) in general.
And I had some hair caught between the beads one time.
Other than that they look nice :-)

mugglemomof3
October 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
I think I've said this before - I think I NEED one of those! :D

AutumnLeaves
October 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have found that my hair eventually loosens with sticks and even forks (which I love love love!). With the AB (and yep, that is what I'm talking about BurnsErin), I haven't had them pull my hair or tangle in the beads. Maybe it is because I've always used combs and like them too so I don't really have much issue with the AB. I'm a big ol' baby tenderhead too, so I really do love these.

intothemist1999
October 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I like the look of them, and almost bought one this summer. However, it looks to me like the tension would force the teeth towards your head (?) If so, I know I couldn't wear one...I don't wear combs because they always seem to poke my head.

AutumnLeaves
October 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Hmmm...when I use them, the teeth tend to go through the hair much like a regular comb and lay flat against the head. Depending on how far you push them into your hair and towards each other, the teeth from one side intermesh with the teeth on the other side and actually poke into each other.

I find myself wondering why so many have trouble with combs? I've never had a problem with them unless I've caught up too much hair with them and they might slide out. I'm always amazed at how different things work differently for each of us. I guess hair type really does play a part in which hair accessories work best for us!

Jostar
October 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I found these online the other day in my search to find something to hold my hair up without giving me a massive headache. i have ordered one (a smaller size) to try and I think it has arrived at the post office. I will try it and report back. i am quite excited by this, they look really pretty.

JessTheMess
October 24th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Wow they are beautiful! I must get one! ...you enablers.... tisk tisk lol

frizzinator
October 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM
AutumnLeaves, it might be the shorter length of your hair that makes the hair sticks and forks become lose. I had that same problem when my hair was your length. If I had an African Butterfly Comb when my hair was shorter, I'm sure I would have loved it.

I bought an African Butterfly comb last year and wore it several times. It is very secure; however, I never wear it because like Sapphire-O, I'm more comfortable using sticks and forks.

coppercurls
October 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I have one that & really like it. The teeth lay flat against my head like AutumnLeaves said. Here is a pic of it in action:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/Coppercurls1969/AfricanButterflyClipActionPic.jpg

Jostar
October 25th, 2008, 04:56 AM
oh I have mine now - wow they are pretty. I managed to get the large with no trouble at all (I can't even french braid my hair properly I am that inept) in with no trouble and they are really comfortable and I think they look great. I will try and do a photo for you later if you like.

I feel i may be buying a few of these!