PDA

View Full Version : Seborrheic Dermatitis affecting hair

Summerwithin
February 18th, 2017, 06:08 PM
As my hair grew in length I started cutting back how often I was washing. Of course, this was affected by flare ups from the SD which I've had since my early teens.
My hair become VERY unmanageable. It wasn't dry, it was healthy looking, it just would mat up on itself and became hard to brush and would tangle up right away. After reading the boards here I decided it was hard water and tried a clarifying shampoo. It made a HUGE difference. But my hair still isn't what it used to be. I have a hard time styling it, and it all seems to be at the nape of my neck where the biggest issues are.

I realized the oils from my SD are not exactly "good" oils for my hair. Should I just wash it more often despite the benefits of not washing?

I can't really describe what it is I'm having difficulty with. It's like, it doesn't have any "fall" to it. Like it just wants to stick to itself. If I try to pull it into a ponytail, it immediately starts tangling. I used to be able to do boho type braids and updos, but my hair just fights it now.
Oh, and if it helps, my hair is 2a/m/ii and goes to my hips.

Ophidian
February 18th, 2017, 07:53 PM
My first thought is that it's important to give your scalp what it wants first and foremost. Plenty of people here with very healthy long hair wash frequently and as long as you are using products that work for your hair and you handle it gently you'll be fine. Any benefit from stretching washing isn't worth having a miserable scalp.

The tangling etc that you are experiencing with your hair, though, sounds like a product issue. What do you use to wash your hair?

Summerwithin
February 18th, 2017, 08:07 PM
I don't use anything special...Usually my tar shampoo (the scalp) or a clarifying shampoo. And then conditioner, but just regular brand moisturizing types. I've tried ACV with no significant effects so I stopped. I've found with the scalp issues I NEED to cleanse. I just get all kinds of build up going on at my roots. I don't use any other product in my hair, no gels or sprays or anything.

Ophidian
February 18th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Yeah, the need for a cleansing product on your scalp makes sense. Since you are using a clarifying shampoo and don't use products, perhaps there is something in the conditioner that doesn't agree with your hair? Protein (amount, type) maybe? Or it just doesn't have enough slip for your length?

Obsidian
February 18th, 2017, 09:48 PM
How long have you been using the pine tar shampoo? I've found it to be super drying.

A good clarifying shampoo every 2-3 days works better to keep my SD under control then most medicated shampoos.

My hair tangles if I don't use a fairly heavy coney conditioner. Of course, keep it and any oils off your scalp.

Summerwithin
February 18th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Yeah, the need for a cleansing product on your scalp makes sense. Since you are using a clarifying shampoo and don't use products, perhaps there is something in the conditioner that doesn't agree with your hair? Protein (amount, type) maybe? Or it just doesn't have enough slip for your length?

I know my hair HATES coconut oil. That's been hard to avoid lately. For "slip" should I look for moisturizing or "sleek" conditioner?

Summerwithin
February 18th, 2017, 09:59 PM
How long have you been using the pine tar shampoo? I've found it to be super drying.

A good clarifying shampoo every 2-3 days works better to keep my SD under control then most medicated shampoos.

My hair tangles if I don't use a fairly heavy coney conditioner. Of course, keep it and any oils off your scalp.

I only use the tar shampoo if I'm really flaring up. So usually it's only twice a month? I haven't had issues with drying with it, but I'll keep that in mind. I may increase how often I'm washing...what clarifying shampoo do you use?

Coney? I thought cones were bad? i feel like my hair was best when I was using Pantene...

I really appreciate this feedback! It's very helpful.

Ophidian
February 18th, 2017, 10:09 PM
I know my hair HATES coconut oil. That's been hard to avoid lately. For "slip" should I look for moisturizing or "sleek" conditioner?

Things like silicones give you slip, so probably "sleek."

I don't think it's "bad" to use cones if that's what your hair likes.

Obsidian
February 18th, 2017, 11:46 PM
I use suave daily clarifying shampoo, cheap and works well. Cones are only bad if your hair doesn't like them.
I use moisturizing conditioner. My favorite is herbal essence hello hydration or Aussie mega moist.
If your hair likes Pantene, why aren't you still using it?
Flaring twice a month is too much. I only get really bad flares 2-3 times a year.

Summerwithin
February 19th, 2017, 12:06 AM
I use suave daily clarifying shampoo, cheap and works well. Cones are only bad if your hair doesn't like them.
I use moisturizing conditioner. My favorite is herbal essence hello hydration or Aussie mega moist.
If your hair likes Pantene, why aren't you still using it?
Flaring twice a month is too much. I only get really bad flares 2-3 times a year.

Suave Daily Clarifying is what's in my shower right now! I stopped using pantene because I was told cones were so bad (:

No, I mean, during flare ups, I'm using twice a month, usually during the season changes.

lapushka
February 19th, 2017, 03:24 AM
I use Nizoral 2% shampoo when I have flare-ups (itch, flakes, redness). When my SD is under control, then I just use harsh sulfate shampoos and that keeps my SD at bay, so much so that I haven't had to use the medicated shampoo in a while now (years).

No knocking what works, whatever it contains, that's the first most important lesson here. It's about what your hair (scalp) wants, not about what you want for your hair (scalp).

meteor
February 19th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Does the tar shampoo satisfy your needs completely? If your SD is still flaring up, you may want to consider other treatment pathways or combining a few products (which is something that some folks with persistent SD sometimes do): e.g. salicylic acid (e.g. Neutrogena T/Sal), selenium sulfide (e.g. Selsun Blue), and especially ketoconazole (Nizoral 2%)... Just make sure you use them full strength and follow instructions (esp. frequency of application).

"Ketoconazole 2% shampoo appears to have a greater prophylactic effect against relapse than selenium sulfide." "Tar shampoos are not well studied for adult scalp SD" (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3100109/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11306850/)

Science-y Hair Blog has a good list of medicated shampoos, treatments & Co-washes for SD that might be worth checking out: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2015/03/medicated-shampoos-and-conditioners-for.html

Coney? I thought cones were bad? i feel like my hair was best when I was using Pantene...

I stopped using pantene because I was told cones were so bad (:

If Pantene with cones worked for you, I'd absolutely go back to that. P&G has great labs and the research they have is used not only in their higher-end brands, but in other brands, too. There is no reason to avoid Pantene products, if your hair likes them. Silicones are great slip agents.

Summerwithin
February 19th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone! I think my trying to help my hair by washing it less has caused my SD to be worse. I've been working backwards this whole time! Thanks for the common sense responses. I'm going to try washing my scalp more frequently and going back to "coney" conditioners.
I was just looking at Nizoral as well, I may switch to that. I'm currently using T Sal.

Summerwithin
February 19th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Sorry, T Gel is what I use.

lapushka
February 19th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone! I think my trying to help my hair by washing it less has caused my SD to be worse. I've been working backwards this whole time! Thanks for the common sense responses. I'm going to try washing my scalp more frequently and going back to "coney" conditioners.
I was just looking at Nizoral as well, I may switch to that. I'm currently using T Sal.

I think in the US the Nizoral that's OTC is only 1%, I typically need the 2% (which might be prescription in the US). It isn't where I live. The 2% is the only version we can get and it's totally OTC.

Ophidian
February 19th, 2017, 05:32 PM

Good luck!:flower: