PDA

View Full Version : Color-changing Hairdye?!

vampyyri
February 18th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Has anyone seen this yet? This is so cool!!

Link to the magic! (http://www.wired.co.uk/article/london-fashion-week-unseen-fire-hair-dye)

FIRE is designed to be responsive to temperature fluctuations, and is available in multiple colour ranges from bright red to subtle pastels. The data used to create the dye stems from the process of thermoregulation in the human skin and the colour change chemical reaction occurs in response to a certain stimuli - in this case, changes in the environment. When the temperature drops or rises, the carbon-based molecules at the core of the FIRE dye undergo a reversible reaction.

I'm calling wizardry! :magic:

Shorty89
February 18th, 2017, 05:50 PM
I saw this on facebook and spent five minutes making grabby hands at my screen. :P It looks so amazing!

PixieP
February 18th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Coolest thing ever!

Robot Ninja
February 18th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Oh that is so freaking awesome.

DO WANT.

Llama
February 18th, 2017, 07:05 PM
WOW so cool! The lady that created it is about to be a billionaire. Lol

iceflavore
February 18th, 2017, 07:41 PM
That is crazy awesome. I want to just watch those short videos for the next half hour, hah.

Anje
February 18th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Oh hell yes!

Kae612
February 18th, 2017, 08:05 PM
oh this is EPIC! I imagine you'd obviously need to bleach your hair to white first, but having a section or bangs that did that would be worth it. I look forward to seeing this released! :D

hayheadsbird
February 18th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Wow! Clicking through the links I ended up watching the video about how the company developed. I'm in awe of her career.

Hay_jules
February 19th, 2017, 12:35 AM
Yes please! I would love to play with this stuff.

Serimel
February 19th, 2017, 01:23 AM
Is this for real? :D It's way too cool! Nooo, I don't want to be lured to dye my hair through these kind of videos. It's not fair. :D

Arctic
February 19th, 2017, 04:12 AM
That is crazy awesome. I want to just watch those short videos for the next half hour, hah.

Same here!

lapushka
February 19th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Looks like there is some video magic going on there... I somehow doubt that the change is going to be that obvious IRL... color me suspicious. Have to see it in person first. Sorry, it's just me, just the way I am with things like this.

I am still impressed though... if it works just like in the video (which I doubt).

Anyone game to try? ;)

Arctic
February 19th, 2017, 05:33 AM
I have no idea how it works but I assume it needs more extreme temperature changes, and on the video there clearly is a wind machine blowing, so I assumed the wind changes from hot to cold and thus makes the dramatic colour change effect. That is, if we assume there is not any doctoring of the footage there.

HairPlease
February 19th, 2017, 07:13 AM
If it really works, even a quarter of the amount of change shown in the videos would be spectacular. I'd be worries about the awkward colors that could appear as the dye fades out though. Needs more testing, but wow, count me in as a future customer.

enterafox
February 19th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Oh wow! I'd love to give this a go! Agree with Lapushka though, I feel like it probably wouldn't work out too well. Wouldn't the top be a different colour due to the heat of your scalp?

Kimberly
February 19th, 2017, 01:20 PM
I used to have some Hypercolor clothing that changed colors like this due to temperature change, so I have no trouble believing in this dye. Been wishing for a product like this since I had my first Mood Ring as a kid.

For anyone amused by this sort of thing, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermochromism

lapushka
February 19th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Oh wow! I'd love to give this a go! Agree with Lapushka though, I feel like it probably wouldn't work out too well. Wouldn't the top be a different colour due to the heat of your scalp?

Yes, that's what I wonder too. Hot roots, anyone? ;) :p

Kae612
February 19th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I have no idea how it works but I assume it needs more extreme temperature changes, and on the video there clearly is a wind machine blowing, so I assumed the wind changes from hot to cold and thus makes the dramatic colour change effect. That is, if we assume there is not any doctoring of the footage there.

Yes, that was my guess too. I thought it might be a hair dryer or a heat source. So perhaps your hair would change colour when you walk inside on a very cold/hot day? But yeah I doubt it would be as changeable as they were showing it to be. Still pretty cool!

OhSuzi
February 20th, 2017, 04:42 AM
is it going to be like 80s/90s heat c olour changing t shirts that high light sweaty arm pits - will it highlight when your heads really hot n sweaty compared to the ends of your hair? ;)

Still pretty freaking cool though!

morgue
February 20th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I'd love to dye my hair with it! Looks neat.

lapushka
February 20th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I'd not mind a streak in my hair like that... hmm no, maybe the ends or so, a streak half down the length, something like that. But if I'd have to bleach it, I'm out. :o

Anje
February 20th, 2017, 01:26 PM

I'll bet it would. I expect that in some of the videos, they're probably blasting the model with a hairdryer or similar to drive the color change.

On the other hand, I'm imagining having this cool halo of, say, bright roots that darken on their way outward, on something like my currently-short hair that sticks straight out. The gradient effect might be epic. Close to your head, do you suppose it might have a mood ring effect?

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 20th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Sounds cool. Maybe I'll try it when I hit goal.

mizukitty
February 20th, 2017, 05:55 PM
And this is exactly why I'm majoring in organic chemistry :D :D :D

Britok
February 20th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Makes me wish I was back in college again (I had long blue hair). I can't get away with this for my profession, looks cool though!

Acid
February 20th, 2017, 06:16 PM
apparently its a semi permanent, i linked the site below as it has a lot more videos of the hair in action at different angles and they give a more accurate view of how fast the colour change is

The application of the dye is currently semi-permanent lasting over a few washes and the brand are currently looking for commercial partners to help take the innovation to market.

http://seetheunseen.co.uk/collection-archive/f-i-r-e/

littlestarface
February 20th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I would honestly do it if it was like how they show? oh yes for sure in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Kat
February 23rd, 2017, 08:34 AM
Looks like there is some video magic going on there... I somehow doubt that the change is going to be that obvious IRL... color me suspicious. Have to see it in person first. Sorry, it's just me, just the way I am with things like this.

I am still impressed though... if it works just like in the video (which I doubt).

Anyone game to try? ;)

It seemed to me, too, like the change happened pretty quickly.

The issue I usually have with color-changing things is that I don't always like both colors. I might like the blue that a color-changing nail polish starts out, but then it might change to pink or orange or something I don't like. So I'd only be *really* tempted by this if both colors it was capable of were something I liked.

Alissalocks
February 23rd, 2017, 11:28 AM
I am at full on "shut up and take my money" 'phase with this.... It probably will only be available at schmancy salons, but maybe ~someday~.... :love:

phoenixred
February 24th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Looks awesome, but not sure how legit it is. I've had bright hair shades in the past and miss them at times.

- Lizzy -
February 24th, 2017, 06:46 PM
This sounds so cool!!! :afro:

browneyedsusan
February 25th, 2017, 11:31 AM
The science girl in me is SO skeptical.

If it was that easy, and that dramatic a change, it would be all over the media, and we'd all have empty wallets by now?

More information?
Who makes it? Is it for sale? if not, why ISN'T it for sale? (Because, clearly there is a fortune to be made with this product, and humans are all about making a fortune?)

Zebra Fish
February 25th, 2017, 12:44 PM
They are searching for a partner if I understood it wright form their web. I think that I'll definitely try it! At least a streak and then see how it works :p

ghanima
February 25th, 2017, 02:08 PM
wow love it! I don't think I would bleach (and damage) my hair for it, so I envy the natural blondes right now!

truepeacenik
February 26th, 2017, 01:47 AM
I used to have some Hypercolor clothing that changed colors like this due to temperature change, so I have no trouble believing in this dye. Been wishing for a product like this since I had my first Mood Ring as a kid.

For anyone amused by this sort of thing, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermochromism

Points for Mood Ring reference!

So the dye is basically a mood ring for hair?

Kimberly
March 2nd, 2017, 01:11 PM
That's what it looks like to me ... color change due to temperature change, and the color change is no more radical than what a mood ring will do. I guess the tricky part was how to make a safe deposit dye out of it.

stachelbeere
March 2nd, 2017, 01:22 PM
This might be a bit creepy... but this is the instagram (https://www.instagram.com/jemimakinsella/) of the model from the Unseen website and the short films featuring the dye. She hasn't posted in a week but I'm curious what her hair will be like after the dye washes off.

Reyesuela
March 2nd, 2017, 02:19 PM

Ahh, remember how awesomely it highlighted the shape of your bra? LOL

Kimberly
March 4th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Ahh, remember how awesomely it highlighted the shape of your bra? LOL

I noticed a color change on my boobs about the same as across the tops of my shoulders -- less color change where fabric was more loosely draped and not stretched as closely to the skin. Maybe I didn't see a bra outline because I wear a thin bra if I wear one at all. :-)

Alissalocks
March 4th, 2017, 11:32 PM
I also had Hypercolor t shirts, but I remember eventually they just got "stuck" on the hot color because we had put them in the dryer one too many times. But, you know... college kids.

stachelbeere great researching skills! I'm curious too. But mostly I just really want it to work! :love:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 4th, 2017, 11:42 PM
This is awesome - but I don't think I will experiment with it on my hair in case it doesn't wash out.