View Full Version : Taking the plunge with Henna!! What's your favorite recipe?

CopperRed
February 18th, 2017, 11:01 AM
After scrolling through all 500+ pages of the hennaed hair thread....I'm ready to do to this!! I've read some recipes where you add teas and essential oils, and others that just add hot water and let it steep. The last henna I used years ago you just added water, slop it on and let it sit.

My current hair (if it makes any difference) has been bleached several times but has about 2-3" of root regrowth since the last lightening session. The ends are a golden blonde, with mousey brown roots. I'm wanting a coppery penny color, think Merida from Brave. I have red raj on hand and thought about getting some cassia to mix with it. I have some hair from the shower I could strand test once I have some recipes to try so I know what my end results will be.

Thank you!!

lapushka
February 18th, 2017, 02:37 PM
My current hair (if it makes any difference) has been bleached several times but has about 2-3" of root regrowth since the last lightening session. The ends are a golden blonde, with mousey brown roots. I'm wanting a coppery penny color, think Merida from Brave. I have red raj on hand and thought about getting some cassia to mix with it. I have some hair from the shower I could strand test once I have some recipes to try so I know what my end results will be.

You really went through that entire thread? :)

The henna is going to show up intenser and lighter on the bleached part of your hair. So be prepared for that. Maybe do a strand test first, that's the first thing anyone on here recommends you do. ;)

Collect some shed hairs for about two weeks and try and test several recipes on the balls of hair. That's the only way to find out what it's going to end up looking like on your head.

Don't treat your head as a lab. I think that's what Anje always says. :)

Take your time to strand test! The henna won't run away or go bad in that amount of time.
Got in mind some recipes yet?

CopperRed
February 18th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Doing the strand test now! And yes lol over like a year I went through the whole thread 😂

I just mixed it with water for now and letting the full batch dye release. I just did a small amount for the strand test then mixed the rest so it'd be ready by tonight.

Wish me luck!!

lapushka
February 19th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Doing the strand test now! And yes lol over like a year I went through the whole thread ��

I just mixed it with water for now and letting the full batch dye release. I just did a small amount for the strand test then mixed the rest so it'd be ready by tonight.

Wish me luck!!

Strand tests need a day to oxidize. ;) You won't see the true color until the day after. So it's not something you rush into.

curly girl fla
February 19th, 2017, 07:17 AM
I just used red raj yesterday, but i rotate with jamila & regular raj. if you want copper, imo jamila would be the way to go. much less intense, more of a light orange copper. red raj is very intense red, but with bleached ends and lighter brown roots, it may just very well give you what you want. i've added cassia to my mixes before, but never had much luck-really dries out my hair something fierce. looking forward to seeing what your strand test reveals. :)

ephemeri
February 19th, 2017, 03:04 PM
My fav henna recipe: mix 50g organic rajasthani (from hennasooq) with strong hibiscus tea in a ziploc baggie. Let it sit for about an hour to get the dye release started then throw it into the freezer.

When I'm ready to use it, I thaw the henna and I mix about 12g of amla with water and a couple tablespoons of hibiscus powder and mix it all together with the henna (and usually add a little more water).

My goal is burgundy. My natural color is basically white with some dark brown strands still, and with this recipe I achieve a fairly deep red with more coppery parts at the roots.

Obsidian
February 19th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I have light/medium ash blond hair with quite a lot of white. I use straight jamila mixed with water, gives me a nice copper. If its a bit too orange, another treatment will deepen the color. Once in awhile I add some lemon juice to the mix, deepens the color just a little bit but enough to be noticeable.

reilly0167
February 19th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Oh I have a couple if recipes. For glosses I like to mix henna and coconut milk ( or conditioner if I dont have milk) and strong brewed hibiscus tea as my base liquid for mixing.