PDA

View Full Version : Exfoliating hair mask? (Itchiness, buildup and flaky scalp advice)

Tetrahedron
February 18th, 2017, 10:12 AM
My two biggest hair issues are on my scalp - it itches frequently, and I've checked about four times (paranoia, anyone?) and am pretty certain it's not nits, and it flakes quite a lot. I've also got quite a bit of buildup right now, and have been looking for a good clarifying shampoo. I've used anti-dandruff shampoos in the past for the flakes, but I tend to get greasy clumps for days if I use them, so I stopped.

I was telling a close friend about my problems, and she recommended trying an exfoliant for my scalp. I've tried them on my face before and they work wonders to my dry, flaky skin, so I thought it seemed like a good idea. I am specifically looking at getting http://www.marksandspencer.com/exfoliating-scalp-mask-75ml/p/p22338306 and http://www.marksandspencer.com/philip-kingsley-flaky-itchy-scalp-toner-75ml/p/p22171906 as I have enough M&S vouchers that I'd get them for free.

I'm a bit worried about using something like that on my scalp, though, mostly as my friend has much thicker hair than I do (mine's about average though, and it's not overly breakable) and I'm concerned exfoliating might make my hair fall out or my scalp to get worse.

Has anyone else used a similar product before? Do you think this is a good idea, or have a better/different suggestion?

Henrietta
February 18th, 2017, 10:20 AM
It should work without giving you any problems. I know a few haircare bloggers who use scalp scrubs or masks with scrub added and they're fine. No side effects, the products do their job.

You may also want to try urea. Up to 10% it's moisturising, above it's exfoliating. I use a scalp gel with 30% urea weekly, since I have exactly the same issue as you describe. Works perfect. If you can't get a similar product anywhere, you can try buying urea as a powder. It's available in shops for people who do their own beauty products.

So you have two options, mechanical and chemical exfoliation :)

Zebra Fish
February 18th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I've tried "home made" exfoliation - put some sugar (brown, fine grounded, "soft") in conditioner and did it. No problems more than usual - whenever I use conditioner on scalp I shed some more. As far as the exfoliating part goes, I don't think you should have problems. You can always react to some ingredient (but that can happen any time you try sth new, nevertheless, that doesn't stop me from experimenting :p).

Obsidian
February 18th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Ever had your scalp looked at by a doctor? Itches and flakes could be seborrheic dermatitis. I use suave daily clarifying, cheap and does the job good. Keep all oils/conditioner off your scalp and maybe try a anti fungal shampoo like nizoral.

Henrietta
February 18th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Ever had your scalp looked at by a doctor? Itches and flakes could be seborrheic dermatitis. I use suave daily clarifying, cheap and does the job good. Keep all oils/conditioner off your scalp and maybe try a anti fungal shampoo like nizoral.

About seborrheic dermatitis - I forgot to mention it. That's exactly what I have. But with good care (exfoliating paired with moisturising, and, for goodness' sake, no stretched washes, that's just the biggest evil for my head) I have no symptoms usually. Unless I neglect the exfoliating, then the problems will come back. Otherwise, I can see or feel no problems for months.

lapushka
February 18th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Seconding the doctor's visit *over* the exfoliating and continued experimenting on your head. Itch? Flakes? That's enough to go see a doctor if it's not regular dandruffy pinpricks and bigger flakes. It could indeed be a sign of SD, and you'll need a prescribed shampoo like Nizoral 2% for it. The OTC Nizoral 1% will probably not be sufficient. If it is SD!