PDA

View Full Version : Weird breakage

Flossiebell
February 18th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Hi all, my hair is currently at Apl, fine, wavy and one length. I've recently decided to use braids more often to help increase length, as for the last few years my favourite 'up do' is Wednesday Addams braids or a single English braid. It is the only updo that doesn't hurt my scalp and is easy to do.

However, I noticed last week that after my hair has been in braids for a couple of hours I have a lot of hair all down the back of my head (where the parting is) that isnt in the braids. It seems too short to fit in the braids but they weren't there a few months ago.

I really don't understand how this has happened. I don't braid tightly, the only thing I can think of is when my hair tangles and sticks to my hands as I'm braiding? Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you stop this from happening? The only braid I can wear now is a single one otherwise it looks ridiculous (or maybe I'm just really conscious of it) :(

lapushka
February 18th, 2017, 09:22 AM
I think that might be growth (new growth); sounds a lot like wispy hair.

Take a look at this first:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Flossiebell
February 18th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Thanks lapushka, I'll have a look now. I never considered new growth as they are several inches long.

meteor
February 18th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Hmm, are you sure those are not just hairs sticking out from the braid because they are shorter then the rest? This is sometimes called "braid shred" and is more obvious on layered hair and on braid that's been worn for a while during sleep or wind or physical activity or around wool scarves, etc...

lithostoic
February 18th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Try sleeping on a silk or satin pillow case. But I think most people have shorter hairs in the back, I wouldn't worry too much!

Flossiebell
February 18th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Hmm, are you sure those are not just hairs sticking out from the braid because they are shorter then the rest? This is sometimes called "braid shred" and is more obvious on layered hair and on braid that's been worn for a while during sleep or wind or physical activity or around wool scarves, etc...

Not sure what you mean? I only have hair sticking out of the braids at the very bottom where shorter hair is due to u shape. The hair that is loose I can pull to the beginning of the braid but it's only held in the braid by the other hair around it which is why it comes out. So looking from the back I have braids either side of my head with a strip of loose hair down the back of my head a few inches long that is in between the braids. I hope that makes sense, I know I'm not explaining this very well....sorry.

lithostoic
February 18th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Yeah that sounds like new growth. Part your hair differently and braid it, you'll probably see it there too.

Flossiebell
February 18th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Try sleeping on a silk or satin pillow case. But I think most people have shorter hairs in the back, I wouldn't worry too much!

I have been using a silk or satin pillowcase for about 9 years now. I think I'm just going to have to try and ignore it aren't I? That's going to be hard now I am aware of it.......I keep finding my hand trying to hide them! :)

PixieP
February 18th, 2017, 01:30 PM
It absolutely sounds like new growth, I got lots like it :) when I have a topknot I have 3-4 inches hanging from my nape that's not going into my updo :P it's completely normal :)

This is from last summer and I got even more now! :laugh: http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/630C839D-D2EB-4FDC-B765-E30125ED2291_zpsflruvhmc.jpg

Llama
February 18th, 2017, 03:05 PM
I can't really picture what you are trying to describe...a photo would help. :blossom: