PDA

View Full Version : WO?

ravenreed
October 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
I have switched to CO and am trying to lessen the time between washes. I have noticed that on days when I shower but don't wash my hair, if I rinse it with plain water it comes out really lank and greasy. It is just horrible. I liked to rinse because I have allergies and I am supposed to wash my hair every day. Is there anything light I can use in between without the whole CO thing? :cheese:

freznow
October 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Maybe do an ACV rinse?

Or your hair may just adjust after a while. (Less sebum production as your scalp gets used to it.)

Cinnamon Hair
October 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
You could try a shampoo on your scalp, possibly diluted in a cup of water, and hold the length out of the way. That way the scalp is cleaned and the length gets a nice rinse without the effects of a shampoo.

ravenreed
October 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I had tried a light baby shampoo with some conditioner mixed in. It was ok. I am just trying to get a rinse and go sort of thing going on. I may try acv next. Thanks!

Anje
October 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Contrary to popular belief, baby shampoo is rather harsh for hair -- it has a rather alkaline pH so it's not irritating to eyes, but hair normally prefers to be a bit acidic. I'd recommend trying adult shampoo instead.

WO washing -- that is, really washing with nothing but water, pretty much ever, takes a bit of time. You have to spend quite a while rinsing the hair to move the sebum off your scalp, and it takes a while to adjust.

Does washing your hair daily really make a difference for allergies? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless you're walking through fields of ragweed with your hair loose during the day. You might try brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush every day. They are very effective for me in removing lint and dust from my hair between washings, and you might also find they remove whatever allergens are getting caught in your hair.

If that doesn't work, you could do shorter CO washes. Not everyone gets much benefit from letting the conditioner soak all that long -- I do well just wetting my hair, smearing on the conditioner, washing my body, then rinsing my hair, all in about 5-10 minutes. For me, that's less time than a real WO rinse and body-washing takes.

eaglefeather71
October 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
I use a diluted shampoo bar sliver. I slice just a little off and melt it in warm water. After washing with that I do a Vinegar Rinse and done. Most times I just use water. The longer you do CO and diluted Shampoo the better your hair will handle water only in between. Using a BBB in between (nightly) also does wonders. I wash with diluted SB once a week and water only in between maybe 2-3 times. On the days I don't wash or rinse at all, I BBB. I use Coconut Oil on the ends and to smooth my hair out a little when it gets frizzy (american indian hair).

ravenreed
October 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM

Does washing your hair daily really make a difference for allergies? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless you're walking through fields of ragweed with your hair loose during the day. You might try brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush every day. They are very effective for me in removing lint and dust from my hair between washings, and you might also find they remove whatever allergens are getting caught in your hair.

Yeah, actually it does. I am very allergic to a lot of things and in the pollen-y season I notice a big difference. I do use a bbb every night, but my hair is dark and lint shows right up! I actually have a few I have tried. That is another reason I want to rinse...

ravenreed
October 24th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I use a diluted shampoo bar sliver. I slice just a little off and melt it in warm water. After washing with that I do a Vinegar Rinse and done. Most times I just use water. The longer you do CO and diluted Shampoo the better your hair will handle water only in between. Using a BBB in between (nightly) also does wonders. I wash with diluted SB once a week and water only in between maybe 2-3 times. On the days I don't wash or rinse at all, I BBB. I use Coconut Oil on the ends and to smooth my hair out a little when it gets frizzy (american indian hair).

I don't know if I will ever be able to get the oilies gone. I have been doing CO washing over a month now, I believe. How long does acclimating take? Not that I am impatient or anything. :p

(Edited my smilie. don't ask.)

eaglefeather71
October 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I kept trying to stretch my washes further and further apart, but I couldn't get past 2x/week until I started doing 1 wash and 1 co each week with BBB brushing in between. When I did that for a couple weeks I was able to transition to just the 1 wash/week until I started doing some treatments and had to wash them out, I am back to 2x/week for now Wednesdays and Saturdays or Sundays. I am doing my first Henna next weekend and hopefully I'll be able to stretch my washes out again after that. I would love to just be a weekend washer and not have to worry about it during the week....