PDA

View Full Version : Calling all thick-haired longhairs

likelikepenny
February 15th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone, I've done a similar post to this but realized I might not have asked the correct questions. My hair is incredibly thick. I have a six inch ponytail circumference and hair that shrinks like crazy.

My hair curly is above shoulder, stretched is BSL, and straight is Waist length. I'm quite frustrated as my hair isn't long enough to outweigh the thickness for buns. So far I can only use scrunchies. I've tried doing a sectioned nautilus but I still can't :/. At what length do you think I'll be able to do one? Or any other hair stick/fork buns?

lithostoic
February 15th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Can you use heatless methods to stretch your hair? From there you can try a sectioned nautilus with less fingers instead of your whole hand.

Decoy24601
February 15th, 2017, 03:18 PM
For me, I couldn't do a bun until TBL length. My ponytail circumference is 5". If I had to guess, you might be able to at least do a sectioned bun at/between waist and TBL length. I never tried doing sectioned buns before TBL so I don't know about those. At TBL I was just barely able to do a LWB and cinnabun. It also depends on height/body proportions too.

lapushka
February 15th, 2017, 03:18 PM
My hair is 4.25 inches circumference and I have to wait until hip to do a LWB, it is more comfy at TBL though, so... I wore a peacock twist for *years* - you can't do this if you're not patient. ;) :flower:

proo
February 15th, 2017, 04:31 PM
How bout several buns joined with a scrunchie?

Rowdy
February 15th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Could you divide your stretched hair in half like for pigtails and then do two sectioned buns?

likelikepenny
February 15th, 2017, 05:29 PM
I usually stretch my hair via braids or bands etc. where it falls around BSL.

I've either been doing a low bun or what I call "minnie mouse buns" because they're two high up on my head, but I'm still looking for more styling options. I guess I'm going to have to wait.

I'm only 4'10 so TBL is 35 inches on me. Do you think once I hit TBL I'll be able to do a nautilus?

marvel-lover
February 15th, 2017, 06:11 PM
I have a 5" ponytail circumference and I am just past BSL (depending on how curly my hair is that day). I can do LWB and disc buns, but using hair pins to tuck in the areas that are a little too short.

You may be able to do nautilus at TBL. Have you thought about doing a braided bun? Since your hair is stretched with the braids, you may be able to wrap them around and bun it that way

Kae612
February 16th, 2017, 03:18 AM
My hair isn't nearly as thick as yours just at 4inches circumference, or curly at all, but at waist I still have difficulty with buns. One of the easier updos I found was a french braid folded up and pinned. Although I can do the nautilus bun as a half up, or a rope-braided cinnabun as a halfup, I do like having all my hair up. Braids might work better for you too?

lapushka
February 16th, 2017, 05:58 AM
I'm only 4'10 so TBL is 35 inches on me. Do you think once I hit TBL I'll be able to do a nautilus?

Honestly, I'd try a LWB first. I can do a LWB at hip - TBL but a nautilus I still couldn't do at classic length and beyond. So maybe try some different buns before trying that one. :)

Hairkay
February 16th, 2017, 10:54 AM
My hair is thick and about the same length but I only do lwb buns or tucked in plaits/braids. I don't worry about buns at all. I'd say you're going to have to wait for more length to try again.

Anje
February 16th, 2017, 11:20 AM
I usually stretch my hair via braids or bands etc. where it falls around BSL.

I've either been doing a low bun or what I call "minnie mouse buns" because they're two high up on my head, but I'm still looking for more styling options. I guess I'm going to have to wait.

Can you do a french twist? Or is it just massive and weird?

likelikepenny
February 16th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Can you do a french twist? Or is it just massive and weird?

Too massive and not long enough :/

meteor
February 17th, 2017, 01:54 PM

It depends. I'll just say, I still can't do a nautilus, and I'm almost at knee.

I think, I'd try not to force hair into one bun so much, if the hair is still too short & thick for it. I did that for a very long time, but ultimately, nothing's wrong with just braiding, or bunning just a small section and then twisting & wrapping remaining hair around or bunning from half-ups, etc...
Sectioning, doing multiple buns and sticking with braids (possibly pinned up) is how thickness can be managed and still contained in a hair-friendly way. The thicker & shorter the hair is, the more sections or multiple buns one may need to work with.

likelikepenny
February 17th, 2017, 03:50 PM
It depends. I'll just say, I still can't do a nautilus, and I'm almost at knee.

I think, I'd try not to force hair into one bun so much, if the hair is still too short & thick for it. I did that for a very long time, but ultimately, nothing's wrong with just braiding, or bunning just a small section and then twisting & wrapping remaining hair around or bunning from half-ups, etc...
Sectioning, doing multiple buns and sticking with braids (possibly pinned up) is how thickness can be managed and still contained in a hair-friendly way. The thicker & shorter the hair is, the more sections or multiple buns one may need to work with.

Woah, you're at knee and you can't do a nautilus? :agape: Is it because your hair is too heavy? Or thick?

meteor
February 18th, 2017, 09:33 AM
^ I think it's a combination of problems: I have issues manipulating thickness around the hand, but I also don't like twisting hair too much, because I worry about breakage, plus my bunning skills are really bad. :oops:
I recently started being able to do LWB without a braided base and, oh my goodness, now I *really* wish I hadn't even pushed so hard when my hair was at shorter lengths, because I fought against the hair and simply broke lots and lots of hair and hurt my scalp while trying to get the hair to cooperate. If the hair is too short for a specific bun, I'd just stick with what works. :flower:

likelikepenny
February 18th, 2017, 03:31 PM
^ I think it's a combination of problems: I have issues manipulating thickness around the hand, but I also don't like twisting hair too much, because I worry about breakage, plus my bunning skills are really bad. :oops:
I recently started being able to do LWB without a braided base and, oh my goodness, now I *really* wish I hadn't even pushed so hard when my hair was at shorter lengths, because I fought against the hair and simply broke lots and lots of hair and hurt my scalp while trying to get the hair to cooperate. If the hair is too short for a specific bun, I'd just stick with what works. :flower:

Thank you for the advice. I was able to get a very tiny nautilus that's modified, I think I'll be able to do a decent one at TBL.

Anya15
February 18th, 2017, 08:48 PM
I have a 5" circumference and can't even do an LWB at hip... So you will just have to wait for more length! :)

Simsy
February 22nd, 2017, 05:31 AM
Just my 2 cents worth...

I was able to do a modified nautalis from about waist-ish. But I'm now TBL and I still can't do a lwb; it just won't stay. My advise, try it but don't force it. You may need a bit more length or you may need to modify the buns slightly to get them to hold. At any rate, you won't know until you try them.

proo
February 22nd, 2017, 06:04 AM
My lwb trick:
Wrap a thin long silky scarf in with it;
When you run out of hair keep wrapping with the scarf until it's used up
Or leave some free, secure with stick, then wrap the whole thing again with the remaining scarf.
This works with nautilus, disc and other buns as well- highly protective.
Needless to say, the stick must be wiggled around the scarf when securing.

Hairkay
February 22nd, 2017, 01:16 PM
My lwb trick:
Wrap a thin long silky scarf in with it;
When you run out of hair keep wrapping with the scarf until it's used up
Or leave some free, secure with stick, then wrap the whole thing again with the remaining scarf.
This works with nautilus, disc and other buns as well- highly protective.
Needless to say, the stick must be wiggled around the scarf when securing.

A paranda would work as well.

likelikepenny
February 22nd, 2017, 03:21 PM
I think I'll definitely try the scarf trick, as soon as I find one I can use lol.

proo
February 23rd, 2017, 12:33 AM
You could also use a shed hair dread-
Blends right in.