PDA

View Full Version : What is "plopping"?

Zindell
October 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
I've read several posts lately where people suggest "plopping" and I have no idea what they talk about.

Can anyone enlighten this swede?

(dictionary.com refers to water dropping... :confused: )

Sarahmoon
October 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Hurray! Someone started a thread for it.

I think I asked it at least 5 times already in several other threads, but never got an answer. Should have made a separate thread for it.

Siava
October 23rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Plopping is putting your wet hair into a t-shirt, towel, or your head covering of choice. It's a way for the water to get soaked up without touching your hair to reduce frizz. Here's a more informative link that explains it better. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/tips/to-plop-or-not-to-plop

Zindell
October 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks Siava! Now I (and Sarahmoon) are more enlighthened! :)

ravenreed
October 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
I have accidentally plopped when I put my hair up in a scarf. It looked really good when I let my hair down for the night. I may cut up an old t-shirt and do it again.

joyfulmom4
October 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Cool. That would really help to enhave the waves in my hair I think. Right now, I towel-wrap my hair when wet and leave it in the towel awhile to absorb the wetness, but I don't pile it right on top like that. I think bunching it up would be great for encouraging the curls. Will try this.

Siava
October 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
I hope you ladies become successful ploppers. :)

SolSara
October 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Zindell: If you (or anyone else) wants the instructions in Swedish, you should visit http://www.lockig.se. They are experts on that sort of things.

My hair gets very tangled when I try to do it the ordinary way. I can't wash the hair with my head upside down either. But then I learned that you can plop backwards, and that works great for me! :) It's hard to describe, but you end up with the hair in a towel-sack at the nape instead of in a big mess at the top of your head. :)

misstwist
October 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
There is also pillow plopping, which is what I do because I wash as night. I leave a towel on my hair to absorb quite a bit of water until just before bedtime, them finger comb, apply avg and coconut oil and scrunch that in, then spread my hair out on the pillow above my head. Those are always my best and strongest waves, one might even dare to call them curls.

Sarahmoon
October 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks, I feel ever more knowledgeable :D

AnneAdeline
October 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
I was also wondering this. Thanks for asking, Zindell!
I'm not a curly, but I may try this anyway.

Anyone with straight hair do this?

Oskimosa
October 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I was also wondering this. Thanks for asking, Zindell!
I'm not a curly, but I may try this anyway.

Anyone with straight hair do this?

I have somewhat wavy hair, but I pillow plop almost every time I wash. When I grew my hair out in my teens, I quickly found out that this was the only way to keep my coarse hair from having tons of flyaways. It also makes it really silky and shiney. Although, it sometimes kills my waves (and sometimes makes them flip straight up in the air).