PDA

View Full Version : Growing out hair after bleach

BexArt1994
February 13th, 2017, 08:29 AM
So after vowing to never bleach my hair again after having it bleached once, I'm trying to grow it out so in 3-4 years it will all be virgin hair. However, I'm slightly worried that by keeping the length of the damaged hair, it will hinder the progress of my growth, or is this just me being paranoid? The thing is I really couldn't stand to cut my hair to anything shorter than BSL (what it is now).

A little more info: I trimmed off around 3 inches last september after bleaching and I s&d weekly for an hour or two to try and get rid of split ends but I still get lots.

Any opinions would be welcome!

TatsuOni
February 13th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Welcome! :) Look in to maintaining or microtrimming :)

lapushka
February 13th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Take a look at the growing out bleach & dye thread - lots of support in that thread!!!

cassidy_2711
February 13th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Not cutting it won't affect your hair growth. Your ends just will start to look ratty after awhile, but all the good hair will be at the top. :)

wispe
February 13th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Here's a link to that thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155) if you're interested. I'm also growing out bleach the long haul way - I'm alternating between not trimming for awhile and microtrimming as my ends need it. I S&D sporadically, but I try not to worry about splits so much and instead I try to treat the length well so it will last me a good while longer - I don't want to have to trim it (all) out for a few years yet. Your routine/journey may be different, of course.

Tosca
February 13th, 2017, 03:17 PM
You could look into protein treatments to strengthen the bleached part of your hair. There are commercial treatments like Joico K-pak, or home treatments with gelatine.