PDA

View Full Version : overwhelming urge to get extentions

SophieGrowGrow
October 23rd, 2008, 03:48 AM
I got some clip in hair extentions for halloween that are 20" ? well im not sure but down to my waist. IT LOOKS AMAZING futher confims my goal of waist length hair

but it also makes me sad about my bushing my sholder length hair so I was thinking of getting a weave.

is this a really big no no for growing hair out long?
its a weave, no glue or anything horrible touching my hair apart from thread and someone elses hair.

should I not? I JUST LOVE IT.

Shanarana
October 23rd, 2008, 06:05 AM
Though many people do opt for hair extensions (not really this site) there can be problems with those if you intend on growing your hair out. If you use the weave method like you mentioned it can cause stress to your natural hair with the weight of the extensions.

Hair extensions are a very expensive way to go. Finding someone who really knows what they are doing with extensions is not an easy task either, not to mention the upkeep for them.

I would reconsider, however if you do decide to go that route make sure you really do your homework.

Addy
October 23rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
I agree with Shanarana.

I went with clip ins awhile ago to get back length that a stylist chopped off and I had significant breakage even though I tried to be careful with installing them.

They maybe a quick fix for gaining long hair fast but in the process, can cause major breakage and thinning of natural, even healthy hair.

ChloeDharma
October 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
I agree with the advice already given. Extensions can be very damaging and cause traction alopecia. That said, i think it may be possible to be done carefully without stressing the hair too much but you would need to research it well and i expect pay quite alot to get it done.
Another option could be to use hair pieces which would give the effect of long hair but without the high price and i expect could be worn without much stress on the hair.

CryssieWillow
October 23rd, 2008, 08:10 AM
I would not pay that much money and take those risks for something that nature and some patience will give you for free.

jojo
October 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Although they can look good, nothing beats the feeling of knowing you have had the patience of growing your own locks.

I think they are ok for now and again though.

backtolonghair
October 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM
I understand... I was considering getting hair extensions myself, but they are very expensive and you would need to find someone who knew what they were doing. I found this one site, where they do something called hair fusion. They use keratin , which is the protien naturally found in your hair, and use that to bound the extensions with to your natural hair so it looks seemless. It is much gentler and better for you than regular weaves or glue in tracks, since both can cause alot of problems. Glue in tracks and weaves don't allow the scalp to breathe properly and can cause bacteria and different bad things to happen under it. I wouln't recommend getting those at all!

The best thing I found was the fusion method. You will have to look it up in your area and see what places offer those services and get someone who knows what they are doing. While I was considering doing this, it is 1. quite expensive, and 2. alot of upkeep and maintenance... I decided it would be best and more rewarding to go ahead and grow my hair out, and just enjoy the experience. For a few days I was sad about my hair being short, but now I am seeing some growth and can actually say that I am enjoying this experience, and knowing that it is my own hair.

Have a good day over there! :) Blessings

SophieGrowGrow
October 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
I guess ive never had to wait so long for something. -huff-
I know your all right. I shall just have to wait. Tick tock.

backtolonghair
October 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
You can get the hair extensions if you want, but like I said opt for the hair fusion techinque instead of the other stuff. That way it will be much gentler on your hair. It is costly, but if you can afford and really want it, then go ahead and get it. Just find someone who knows what they are doing.
I understand, it seems like forever, but good things come to those who wait. :)

Shanarana
October 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
How about a wig perhaps or even clip ons? Those can be fun to mess around with.

SophieGrowGrow
October 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I think wigs are a little strange on 16 year old girls..
I shall have to stick with my clip ons, Sigh.