PDA

View Full Version : Natural shampoo ingredients

Woolly
February 12th, 2017, 07:28 AM
I hope I'm getting things right as I navigate my way around the forum, please tell me if I'm posting this in the wrong place! I wondered if I could share the ingredients of some natural shampoo and conditioner that I bought a few days ago to see what you all thought. It all seems good to me, but I'm definitely no hair expert! I would be very grateful to hear your thoughts. Thanks! :o

Shampoo: Ingredients: purified water (aqua), coco glucose (coco glucoside), organic aloe vera* (aloe barbadensis), glyceryl oleate (fatty acid from sunflower), apple cider vinegar (acetum pyrus malus), calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract*, chamomile, salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, camomile recutita (chamomile) flower extract* , jojoba oil (simmondsia chinensis), rosmarinum officinalis (rosemary)leaf extract, virgin organic coconut oil* (cocus nucifera), xanthan gum, sodium levulinate, sodium anisate, vitamin e (tocopherol), glycerine,
* organic ingredient

Conditioner: Ingredients: purified water (aqua), coco glucose (coco glucoside), organic aloe vera* (aloe barbadensis), glyceryl oleate (fatty acid from sunflower), apple cider vinegar (acetum pyrus malus), chamomile, nettle, jojoba oil (simmondsia chinensis), virgin organic coconut oil* (cocus nucifera), xanthan gum, sodium levulinate, sodium anisate , vitamin e (tocopherol), glycerine, essential oils of cedarwood, bergamot, lavender & rosemary.
Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol (constituents of the essential oils)

lapushka
February 12th, 2017, 07:43 AM
I hope I'm getting things right as I navigate my way around the forum, please tell me if I'm posting this in the wrong place! I wondered if I could share the ingredients of some natural shampoo and conditioner that I bought a few days ago to see what you all thought. It all seems good to me, but I'm definitely no hair expert! I would be very grateful to hear your thoughts. Thanks! :o

What brand is it, and product line? I'm just curious.

Also, the INCI list of ingredients might be more useful to us. Or is it that between (). As it is, I see nothing wrong with the ingredients whatsoever.

Woolly
February 12th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Thank you for your thoughts. They are made by "Handmade Naturals", here in the UK. I don't know what an INCI list is, sorry.

Anje
February 12th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Looks like a mild shampoo, decent if you don't need strong cleansing. The conditioner ingredients list isn't right; it's another set of shampoo ingredients, basically the same but with a few different herbal components way down the list.

lapushka
February 12th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Thank you for your thoughts. They are made by "Handmade Naturals", here in the UK. I don't know what an INCI list is, sorry.

I do think that's the list between brackets (). :)

Yes, now that I look at it more clearly; are you sure that's a conditioner, the second one I mean?

lapushka
February 12th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I'm thinking the second one is a shampoo too, because I've just checked out their site (they have a site), and I can't find those ingredients in any of the conditioners!

Woolly
February 12th, 2017, 10:47 AM
So sorry! I got the conditioner ingredients wrong. This is the correct information...

INGREDIENTS: purified water, virgin organic olive oil*, organic aloe vera*, jojoba oil, provitamin B5**, glycerine**, emulsifying wax**, virgin organic shea butter*, vitamin E**,

lapushka
February 12th, 2017, 11:15 AM
It's perfectly fine.

Seems like a nice brand. I hope it's not hugely expensive, though.

Oh, and do pay attention to your scalp. If it becomes gunky, flaky, or itchy, you may not be cleansing enough with these items, and you may need something stronger. A healthy scalp is key. So pay close attention to it. :flower: But if it takes it well, then you're all good! :thumbsup: Just FYI!

Woolly
February 12th, 2017, 11:58 AM
So sorry! I got the conditioner ingredients wrong. This is the correct information...

INGREDIENTS: purified water, virgin organic olive oil*, organic aloe vera*, jojoba oil, provitamin B5**, glycerine**, emulsifying wax**, virgin organic shea butter*, vitamin E**,

Woolly
February 12th, 2017, 11:59 AM
It's perfectly fine.

Seems like a nice brand. I hope it's not hugely expensive, though.

Oh, and do pay attention to your scalp. If it becomes gunky, flaky, or itchy, you may not be cleansing enough with these items, and you may need something stronger. A healthy scalp is key. So pay close attention to it. :flower: But if it takes it well, then you're all good! :thumbsup: Just FYI!

Thanks so much for the advice! :)

lapushka
February 12th, 2017, 01:48 PM
You're welcome, Woolly! :D

Ophidian
February 12th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Just echoing what the others already said--it looks like a pretty basic, mild formula to me. I would use it. Your success with it will just depend on what your hair/scalp likes. It looks like coco glucose is the main surfactant, or cleansing ingredient. If you are currently using something stronger (a shampoo that uses sulfates, for example), you may find that this doesn't lather as much and won't get you as "squeaky clean." This is a pro for some (like me) who have sensitive skin and do better with gentle products, and a con for others.

I just bought a new shampoo with a similar formula which had a pretty hefty price tag, but I can justify it because I dilute my shampoo with water about 1:10 and use it once a week. It's all relative :)

Let us know how it goes!

Woolly
February 13th, 2017, 12:26 AM
Just echoing what the others already said--it looks like a pretty basic, mild formula to me. I would use it. Your success with it will just depend on what your hair/scalp likes. It looks like coco glucose is the main surfactant, or cleansing ingredient. If you are currently using something stronger (a shampoo that uses sulfates, for example), you may find that this doesn't lather as much and won't get you as "squeaky clean." This is a pro for some (like me) who have sensitive skin and do better with gentle products, and a con for others.

I just bought a new shampoo with a similar formula which had a pretty hefty price tag, but I can justify it because I dilute my shampoo with water about 1:10 and use it once a week. It's all relative :)

Let us know how it goes!
Thanks so much for your advice! I have fine hair, which gets greasy very quickly but a sensitive scalp, so I have to switch about with products from time to time. My scalp loves this shampoo and conditioner but by evening my hair looks lank and unwashed. I'm using it alongside Organic Surge Volumising shampoo and conditioner, so far, so good.

lapushka
February 13th, 2017, 04:40 AM
Thanks so much for your advice! I have fine hair, which gets greasy very quickly but a sensitive scalp, so I have to switch about with products from time to time. My scalp loves this shampoo and conditioner but by evening my hair looks lank and unwashed. I'm using it alongside Organic Surge Volumising shampoo and conditioner, so far, so good.

Organic Surge is also sulfate-mild or free, I think. Have you ever used sulfates? Was your hair less oily then, if you could stand it with the sensitivity of your scalp? :flower: