PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh dandruff!!!!!!!

FallingDarkness
February 11th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Yea. So. I wash twice a week (CWC mostly, tho sometimes just WC). I use head and shoulders shampoo. But this dandruff man... I think it's because winter is so dry and harsh for my hair. But anyways, I can see my scalp flaking. It's not even that bad, just definitely noticeable (to me at least) and somewhat bothersome and I have NO IDEA how I can get rid of it. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks bros. <3

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 11th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Sometimes it's not dandruff. It's actually sometimes something else.
Go to a dermatologist. They'll be able to tell you what's wrong.

lapushka
February 11th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Yes, and go now while your scalp is still out of whack (before you start messing / experimenting with it), so they can see it clearly.

FallingDarkness
February 11th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Aw man that's no fun. :( I definitely did not want anything to be wrong with my scalp lol. Thanks anyways, hopefully they'll be able to tell me what's up.

lithostoic
February 11th, 2017, 01:13 PM
If it does end up being dandruff, here's what I do:

Let my hair get a tad oily. I do this right before a water wash, so not too oily! I use a lice comb to spread my oils down my length a bit, and this really helps loosen dandruff as well as collecting lint :P After I scrub my head real well under the water, the flakes loosened by the comb just rinse out c:

likelikepenny
February 11th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Apple Cider Vinegar does wonders for me.

ETA: Also Aloe Vera, aloe vera is awesome :)

wispe
February 11th, 2017, 02:02 PM
If it's an option a dermatologist would probably be a good idea! Especially if it's persisting. I have a similar routine to lithostoic, actually. After thoroughly detangling, I do a gentle massage with my fingertips, then comb through with a finer-tooth comb and scritch the scalp a little with the tines. Gentle, gentle, but enough to loosen up flakes and feel good. I shower as normal and the flakes rinse out just fine. Sometimes I oil my hands before I massage, sometimes I spritz some tea on the scalp instead (I like rooibos, but I see plenty teas mentioned as good for scalp health + anti itch/dandruff purposes) that I have significantly less itch and flaking. If I tea spritz & massage in the evening I can usually make it an extra day before showering if I need to stretch a wash, which is kind of nice. I think the whole process helps spread my oils a little further, my hair seems to like it. I'm currently washing about 2x a week, CWC mostly, sometimes WCC.

Regarding shampoos, I personally found that clarifying/using H&S too frequently actually irritates my scalp, and I have a clearer, happier scalp with no-sulfate shampoo. I have dry sensitive skin and eczema and perhaps the sulfates dry my scalp out too much? Washing with more gentle shampoo less frequently, tea spritzes, and the above massage routine seem to give me the best results right now.

I have tried and had so-so/negligible results with ACV, both as rinse-out and leave-in methods. I've used tea tree oil (diluted in a carrier oil, usually jojoba or argan) for my scalp massage but I haven't tried it often enough to know if it does anything for me. Aloe vera gel straight on the scalp seemed like it might be a help, so I've been thinking about mixing it into my tea spray, perhaps with some EOs (maybe lavender?).

FallingDarkness
February 11th, 2017, 02:03 PM
How do you use apple cider vinegar?

lapushka
February 11th, 2017, 02:29 PM
If I get flakes on my temples and above my ears, my mom uses a washcloth (EU washcloth, the terry cloth gloves kind) to gently pry them out, and they come right out (they're usually bigger flakes).

likelikepenny
February 11th, 2017, 05:44 PM
How do you use apple cider vinegar?

When I was dealing with scalp issues, I did a dilution of 1:1 of apple cider vinegar and water. Adding tea tree oil helps as well. Now that I've got it under control, my solution is a little bit weaker.

I used to use Head and Shoulders but it dried my scalp and hair too much. You may want to look into a no/low sulfate shampoo to switch to if your scalp continues to get dry.

likelikepenny
February 11th, 2017, 05:46 PM
If it's an option a dermatologist would probably be a good idea! Especially if it's persisting. I have a similar routine to lithostoic, actually. After thoroughly detangling, I do a gentle massage with my fingertips, then comb through with a finer-tooth comb and scritch the scalp a little with the tines. Gentle, gentle, but enough to loosen up flakes and feel good. I shower as normal and the flakes rinse out just fine. Sometimes I oil my hands before I massage, sometimes I spritz some tea on the scalp instead (I like rooibos, but I see plenty teas mentioned as good for scalp health + anti itch/dandruff purposes) that I have significantly less itch and flaking. If I tea spritz & massage in the evening I can usually make it an extra day before showering if I need to stretch a wash, which is kind of nice. I think the whole process helps spread my oils a little further, my hair seems to like it. I'm currently washing about 2x a week, CWC mostly, sometimes WCC.

Regarding shampoos, I personally found that clarifying/using H&S too frequently actually irritates my scalp, and I have a clearer, happier scalp with no-sulfate shampoo. I have dry sensitive skin and eczema and perhaps the sulfates dry my scalp out too much? Washing with more gentle shampoo less frequently, tea spritzes, and the above massage routine seem to give me the best results right now.

I have tried and had so-so/negligible results with ACV, both as rinse-out and leave-in methods. I've used tea tree oil (diluted in a carrier oil, usually jojoba or argan) for my scalp massage but I haven't tried it often enough to know if it does anything for me. Aloe vera gel straight on the scalp seemed like it might be a help, so I've been thinking about mixing it into my tea spray, perhaps with some EOs (maybe lavender?).

Tea tree oil and aloe is a dream when it comes to my scalp. Also peppermint EO when I have it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 11th, 2017, 07:43 PM
For me ACV only works for a short period of time. I can stretch uses of the medicated shampoo using it. My scalp issues didn't go away until I saw a dermatologist though, and I need the medicated shampoo. Without it my scalp gets worse, ACV and other herbal things don't last long term for me. Give it a try but don't forget about seeing a dermatologist at some point.

Also, head and shoulders is honestly not that great for dandruff. I used it for years and it didn't really work for me. It works for dry scalps but SD and dandruff and other fungal issues are sometimes worsened from head and shoulders -- from what I've seen.

wispe
February 11th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Tea tree oil and aloe is a dream when it comes to my scalp. Also peppermint EO when I have it.

Ah, peppermint is another one I've heard great things about! Need to get my hands on some of that. I've had some success with aloe in my hair before, so I definitely am going to try it on my scalp soon.

czech it out
February 11th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Try selenium sulfide shampoo! (Selsun blue is the most popular one). I find that it works way better than head & shoulders. Your head may smell like sulfur, but it's a small price to pay!

FallingDarkness
February 12th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Wow thanks for the great advice guys. Will be trying these solutions as they become available to me!

Anje
February 12th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Small white flakes tend to be dry skin. Exfoliate and see if there's ways to moisturize. CO washing is adequate for me for this.

Bigger yellow greasy ones are more symptomatic of seborrheic dermatitis, and tends to go with some itchiness or irritation. SD can be treated with shampoos containing pyrithione zinc (typical Head and Shoulders), selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue in the US, not sure if it's available OTC in Europe), and ketoconazole, among other things.

If it's mild, definitely try dilute vinegar rinses. Seems like the small pH adjustment can help troublesome scalps. I'd go weaker than someone suggested above, more like 1/4 or 1/8th vinegar, but my skin is a bit sensitive and straight vinegar burns on it.

likelikepenny
February 12th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Small white flakes tend to be dry skin. Exfoliate and see if there's ways to moisturize. CO washing is adequate for me for this.

Bigger yellow greasy ones are more symptomatic of seborrheic dermatitis, and tends to go with some itchiness or irritation. SD can be treated with shampoos containing pyrithione zinc (typical Head and Shoulders), selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue in the US, not sure if it's available OTC in Europe), and ketoconazole, among other things.

If it's mild, definitely try dilute vinegar rinses. Seems like the small pH adjustment can help troublesome scalps. I'd go weaker than someone suggested above, more like 1/4 or 1/8th vinegar, but my skin is a bit sensitive and straight vinegar burns on it.

I would be careful co-washing when you have sensitive scalp/scalp conditions. Fragrances in conditioners can irritate the scalp and cones can keep the scalp from breathing, at least for me, exacerbating the problem.

Ophidian
February 12th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I would be careful co-washing when you have sensitive scalp/scalp conditions. Fragrances in conditioners can irritate the scalp and cones can keep the scalp from breathing, at least for me, exacerbating the problem.

If sensitivity is an issue but your problem is dry skin, maybe a light hypoallergenic moisturizer (I'm thinking the face kind) would be worth a try especially if you are getting flaking in patches and not all over your head.

Other things that I use and like for mild dandruff are aloe, gentle exfoliation, scalp massage with oil an hour or so before I wash, and very dilute ACV rinses.

Dark40
February 29th, 2020, 06:13 PM
I have a question. When you have dandruff does that mean it's a dry scalp? If so, what should I do to solve this issue? Thank you in advance for the advice.

Arciela
February 29th, 2020, 07:47 PM
For years (like my whole life) I had an itchy scalp with flakes. Went to countless dermatologists, top doctors etc. None of them knew what was I wrong. I figured it out myself. I have a sensitivity to malassezia. I stopped using shampoos and anything containing ingredents that promote the growth of it. I run all my shampoos and anything that goes on my head through this website - https://www.sezia.co/

I also use ACV on my scalp after washing because it prevents the growth of malassezia. My makeup also had ingredients that promote the growth and caused so much bad acne for me. Now that I know I haven't had a breakout in over a year.

But everyone is different, it took me over 20 years to figure it out. Every dermatologist I went to kept throwing medicated shampoo to me and called it a day. Since I fixed it my scalp is super happy and no more itches :flower:

lapushka
March 1st, 2020, 03:07 AM
For years (like my whole life) I had an itchy scalp with flakes. Went to countless dermatologists, top doctors etc. None of them knew what was I wrong. I figured it out myself. I have a sensitivity to malassezia. I stopped using shampoos and anything containing ingredents that promote the growth of it. I run all my shampoos and anything that goes on my head through this website - https://www.sezia.co/

I also use ACV on my scalp after washing because it prevents the growth of malassezia. My makeup also had ingredients that promote the growth and caused so much bad acne for me. Now that I know I haven't had a breakout in over a year.

But everyone is different, it took me over 20 years to figure it out. Every dermatologist I went to kept throwing medicated shampoo to me and called it a day. Since I fixed it my scalp is super happy and no more itches :flower:

That just means SD, seborrheic dermatitis, right? That is yeast overgrowth.

pisinoe
March 1st, 2020, 03:31 AM

Can you tell me the hair and skin products you use and like? I have the same problem and avoid all the same ingredients as well!

lapushka
March 1st, 2020, 03:37 AM
Can you tell me the hair and skin products you use and like? I have the same problem and avoid all the same ingredients as well!

I use Nizoral 2% for this yeast overgrowth (malessezia = SD aka seborrheic dermatits). You can get it over the counter in any Belgian pharmacy. 14.25 euro last time we bought it for a 100ml bottle.

Bri-Chan
March 1st, 2020, 03:55 AM
I have a question. When you have dandruff does that mean it's a dry scalp? If so, what should I do to solve this issue? Thank you in advance for the advice.

Dandruff cam be dry or greasy, so it depends

lapushka
March 1st, 2020, 04:16 AM

Yep you really need a doctor to make the distinction. Or go by your scalp. Do you have oily scalp or dry scalp (how often do you need to wash, how fast do you create sebum)?

Dark40
March 1st, 2020, 02:28 PM

Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. I've just found out what the problem was on my own anyways. Because, today my mom got the same problem I got on yesterday. As she was combing her hair she got white flakes after relaxing her hair. So, she figured it out for me that it was the product we both put on our hair before blow drying (which is the Isoplus Wrap Lotion or product build-up). It has never done this to our hair before. Well, usually a week or so after i relax my hair I use a dandruff shampoo, and it cures the issue afterwards. I don't have anymore dandruff or product build-up.