PDA

View Full Version : Protein not working?!

BexArt1994
February 11th, 2017, 02:09 AM
I have learnt from this forum that mushy, overly soft hair needs protein and of course my hair has been bleached so that is another reason! However, everytime I use protein (usually once or twice a month) it has no effect or even makes my hair feel worse? Also using deep conditioners makes it feel worse (sticky, limp and flat). The best thing for my hair is actually just using shampoo and a little bit of conditioner on the very ends but I feel like this can't be good as it's not restoring the protein in my hair or even conditioning the lengths enough?

Arctic
February 11th, 2017, 02:42 AM
What kind of protein(s) have you tried? Home made, commercial? What kind is your deep conditioner?

BexArt1994
February 11th, 2017, 04:39 AM
I've tried: Aphogee 2 Step, Aphogee 2 Minute and Joico Reconstructor. The deep conditioners I've tried have been Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Mask and Tresemme Breakage Defence Mask. I did try an SMT (Honey, Aussie 3 Min and Aloe Gel) after a protein treatment a few weeks back and it was better than normal but still not great. However, I couldn't do that every time I wash right? I would get a moisture overload I'm guessing.

Ophidian
February 11th, 2017, 05:16 AM
I don't have much insight into your protein question, but I just wanted to say that it appears you've already identified what seems to work best for your hair (shampoo + conditioner on ends only). I understand that with bleach you want to be proactive about preventing further damage, but if it feels good without the extras, then there might not be any harm in skipping them for the most part? Does your hair feels like it needs more, or does your brain think it should? I say this because I want my hair to like all kinds of things that it just doesn't, and eventually I have to stop arguing with it even though I swear I know better than it ;).

That said, I don't have the bleach issue so maybe others have some helpful advice for caring for bleached hair.

lapushka
February 11th, 2017, 05:40 AM
I have learnt from this forum that mushy, overly soft hair needs protein and of course my hair has been bleached so that is another reason! However, everytime I use protein (usually once or twice a month) it has no effect or even makes my hair feel worse? Also using deep conditioners makes it feel worse (sticky, limp and flat). The best thing for my hair is actually just using shampoo and a little bit of conditioner on the very ends but I feel like this can't be good as it's not restoring the protein in my hair or even conditioning the lengths enough?

If it's really that mushy, maybe it needs a *lot* of protein? Maybe try it weekly? If it's really that damaged, then maybe it needs it. Mushy hair means it's been bleached quite a bit (or else your hair can't stand to be bleached that much).

What shampoo are you using, and of course the age-old question... have you clarified lately? Are you using a sulfate-free shampoo or not?

Obsidian
February 11th, 2017, 06:49 AM
I have bleached hair under my henna and like you, I figured out need some protein.
I just used gelatin left in for 5 minutes. Rinsed and conditioned like normal.

It made my hair extremely soft and gummy, worse then the bleach ever did. Then I read about protein on the sceincy hair blog.
Protein not only helps fill in damaged areas but it also helps moisturise. In my case, it was simply too much protein.
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/mysteries-of-hydrolyzed-proteins.html?m=1

I had clarify and stop using conditioner for a few washes for my hair to get back to normal.

I suggest trying a lighter protein, see if that helps. I want to try amino acid, it's the lightest form of protein. I'm hopng it won't hold in too much moisture like the heavy duty gelatin did.

BexArt1994
February 11th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all of your replies, I appreciate all your opinions! So at the moment I've been trying out various shampoos from my stash including sulphate free (very hit or miss, sometimes it doesn't feel like my scalp is clean after using). Today I used T-Gel as I have been feeling a waxy/greasy spot on the top of my head. I do actually clarify once a week with Tresemme's clarifying shampoo and I use it all over my hair to make sure there's no build up.

In conclusion, I think I'm going to use Redken's Extreme Shampoo and Conditioner 2 times a week and then clarify, use a protein treatment and SMT once a week. I only ever had my hair bleached once and I'm never going to do it again so I think I should just be patient and let my hair grow out while sticking to this routine until it feels like it doesn't need the protein anymore (stops being mushy when wet and holds it's natural wave better).