PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

Llama
February 10th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Hi! :) So- which do you think is better...

Washing hair MORE frequently using LESS shampoo and only putting that shampoo on the scalp

-OR-

Washing hair LESS frequently using MORE shampoo and applying that shampoo to the entire lengths?

For the last couple years I have been washing my hair twice a week for the most part. My hair gets that darker, weighed down look starting the day after I wash it. I guess you could call it greasy but it's honestly just the very top of my roots so I don't consider myself looking too "greasy" on day 2. However, if I were to go somewhere important then I would use dry shampoo on it to give it some volume.

So anyways. I haven't been particularly happy with how my hair looks on day 2 or 3 for a long time you could say...but I also just haven't really cared I guess? I'm trying to work on my confidence and depression though so have decided I want to have my hair look better and cleaner more often than not. Which, with my most recent wash schedule, it is "dirty" looking more often.

When I am washing my hair twice a week, I have to thoroughly wash my hair to get it to look and feel clean on wash days. Meaning shampoo down the length and lots of it. I'm not sure if this is because the grease is travelling down my hair or because I am (lightly) applying oils to the lengths on non-wash days since they get dry looking (not sure if they are actually drying out or just look dry in comparison to the "wet" looking roots).

A little over a week ago I started washing my hair every other day. I can use a very small amount of shampoo and haven't needed to apply shampoo to my lengths at all yet- scalp only. I still use conditioner in the shower but haven't needed to put any oil in my hair in between washes. My hair looks better in my opinion but I don't want to inadvertently cause damage in the long run.

I know it's "bad" to wash hair often but is it really that much worse if you can use gentler products/methods since hair hasn't gotten too gunked up by wash day?

Hopefully I'm making sense. :shrug:

trolleypup
February 10th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Do what pleases you. If you aren't enjoying your hair, what is the point?

Washing every other day with a small amount of shampoo probably isn't very damaging.

I won't suggest my routine, because it wouldn't work for your hairtype (less frequently AND less shampoo).

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 10th, 2017, 06:33 PM
I do not believe it is frequent washing that causes damage, its the way you wash that matters.
Using gentler products also really helps. I use sulphates still but less frequently than before.
Scalp washing does not work for me because my length DOES get wet, which I thought was the point of scalp only washing - to keep the length from getting wet and thus preventing breakage from manipulating hair when its wet.
So for me, it does not matter. maybe it will matter more the longer my hair gets but it all eventually gets wet at my short length.

lucid
February 10th, 2017, 07:35 PM
I exercise 3-4 times a week, and have to wash my hair after, so I wash my hair about every other day now. I have washed my hair every day, every other day and also just one-two times a week - and my hair definitely looks better with more frequent washes (I think fine hair often does that?). I don't think washing your hair damages it (at least not my hair type), I think wrong handling and products are what's damaging it. I also think going with dirty hair can cause mechanical damage.

But I'm not an expert at all, just sharing my experience :) I use CWC every time I wash my hair (big thanks to LHC for the suggestion), and no longer have tangles or knotty hair. It really made my life a lot easier. So I guess it's all about finding a routine that works for you.

Chromis
February 10th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Probably works out in the wash :henny:

I prefer less frequent, more thorough myself. Some here go for thorough and frequent. Some go for lightly and less. No one's hair has exploded yet and there are lovely heads of hair on various people of each of these.

Llama
February 10th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Do what pleases you. If you aren't enjoying your hair, what is the point?

Washing every other day with a small amount of shampoo probably isn't very damaging.

I won't suggest my routine, because it wouldn't work for your hairtype (less frequently AND less shampoo).

I wasn't not enjoying my hair, it's been really fun treating it "right" so that I can grow it out...it's just a change of mind as of recently I guess. I still want to keep it long and I feel like I've come far with that particular routine but don't want to mess it up by changing my routine.
You are so lucky to have an easier hairtype to care for :)

I do not believe it is frequent washing that causes damage, its the way you wash that matters.
Using gentler products also really helps. I use sulphates still but less frequently than before.
Scalp washing does not work for me because my length DOES get wet, which I thought was the point of scalp only washing - to keep the length from getting wet and thus preventing breakage from manipulating hair when its wet.
So for me, it does not matter. maybe it will matter more the longer my hair gets but it all eventually gets wet at my short length.

I ruled out scalp washing as an option a long time ago. It did not work at all for me- my hair was a tangled mess afterwards. Plus the process of trying to keep my length away from the water was very difficult.

I exercise 3-4 times a week, and have to wash my hair after, so I wash my hair about every other day now. I have washed my hair every day, every other day and also just one-two times a week - and my hair definitely looks better with more frequent washes (I think fine hair often does that?). I don't think washing your hair damages it (at least not my hair type), I think wrong handling and products are what's damaging it. I also think going with dirty hair can cause mechanical damage.

But I'm not an expert at all, just sharing my experience :) I use CWC every time I wash my hair (big thanks to LHC for the suggestion), and no longer have tangles or knotty hair. It really made my life a lot easier. So I guess it's all about finding a routine that works for you.

Thank you for sharing :) It didn't occur to me that maybe this was a fine-haired thing. My hair has been so much less tangly since I started washing more often, I'm not sure if that's because I'm not shampooing the length as much (just conditioning it) so it's not as dry, or if it's just not as dirty and maybe all the lint and stuff building up between washes was causing tangles. Definitely a possibility!
I also exercise several times a week but it's just light cardio and yoga so I don't get too sweaty.

Probably works out in the wash :henny:

I prefer less frequent, more thorough myself. Some here go for thorough and frequent. Some go for lightly and less. No one's hair has exploded yet and there are lovely heads of hair on various people of each of these.

I guess I just feel like my hair is very fragile since this is the first time I've ever grown it past bsl and don't want to mess it up :) I'll report back if my hair explodes from my new routine. Haha

lapushka
February 11th, 2017, 04:27 AM
I also prefer to wash less frequent, but go "at it" with everything at once. Sometimes we scalp-only wash and let the suds travel down, other times, we put shampoo on the lengths too. It depends on my mood. My scalp has sort of "normalized". It does get oily at around Thursday, Friday, but if you have watched torrinpaige's video on her day before washday, it looks like that right before wash day with me. So it's do-able.

It all is very individual. I say, if you feel happier washing more frequently with less fuss, then why not do it - if it makes you feel happier!

Nique1202
February 11th, 2017, 05:57 AM
There are folks who wash daily and still grow out to much greater lengths than the hip you're aiming for, unless you've changed your goal since setting up your profile. Whatever makes you happiest with your hair routine is what you should do. You could make a pros and cons list for each method and figure out what you really prefer, but it won't hurt your hair in any significant way to be washed more often, so long as you treat it gently while you're washing it.

Personally, I like to wash my hair as infrequently as possible because I live in a cool climate and I air dry my hair almost exclusively. I hate sitting around feeling cold for 3-5 hours, so I put it off as long as possible as a general rule. But, that's just me and my weird set of circumstances.

sarahthegemini
February 11th, 2017, 06:03 AM
It isn't 'bad' to wash your hair, if it needs it.

I mean, if you wash your hair daily out of habit when it doesn't really need it then that will inevitably dry it out but if it's really dirty, it needs washing. Personally, I wash my hair whenever it looks greasy which is roughly every other day. I don't think it matters whether you use a smaller amount of shampoo more or a larger amount less :shrug: