PDA

View Full Version : Fly Aways - Damaged Hair or New Growth?

Razors
February 10th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Hello, I'm new here! I have noticed, especially when I blow dry my hair (which is a rare occasion), that I get a lot of "frizzy" fly aways. I always thought it had been damage/breakage to my hair, but it's been happening for two years now and over these past two years, I mostly always put my hair up in a loose, low bun held with a stick. I haven't put it in a pony tail in forever since my hair is just to heavy (past tailbone length, I don't know how long "classic" length is). So do you guys think this is damage/breakage or just new growth?

Mrstran
February 10th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Just a guess. New hair is coming in. If you take good care of your hair I doubt you'd have breakage so high up. You'd be more likely to see it near the middle and ends if any at all.
Ive had real breakage at the scalp before due to damage. I bleached my hair and holy cow! I had 2 inch layers all over.

Don't worry about shorter hairs, they are growing :cool: you are fine

Nique1202
February 10th, 2017, 07:54 AM
(Since you mention not knowing, around here what we refer to as classic length is where the bottom of the bum meets the top of the thigh in the back.)

As for your hairs, the longer and straighter the hair is the more you'll see the lighter, fluffier new growth hairs, so it's natural to notice them more when you blow-dry it straight instead of letting it air dry. A lot of straight-haired folks who start growing their hair long for the first time have the same fears, but it's just that they're noticeable for the first time. Every single day you shed a number of hairs from your scalp, and every day about the same number of hairs start growing from other follicles. So, you'll always have some hairs at every length right down to your hemline.

samanthaa
February 10th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I think you'll always have shorter hairs, as each hair has it's own life cycle (to prevent us from shedding everything all at once like a chicken molting its feathers) and some strands have shorter terminal lengths than others.

It could be damage, too. I think some of mu shorter fly-aways are damage, as I have a lot at the collarbone/APL length. Don't know for sure, though.

lithostoic
February 10th, 2017, 08:01 AM
The general rule is that if the frizzies have a blunt end, it's breakage, and if they have a slightly tapered end, it's new growth. But most of it is probably new growth anyway, as even tiny new hairs experience breakage. I wouldn't worry! I have a permanent "halo" haha. Always been that way.

lapushka
February 10th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Those are wispy hairs, we all get them; look at this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Razors
February 10th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Thank you everyone! I just checked and 95% of them are tapered at the ends. Really glad to know I'm not damaging it! I've been trying to keep good care of it. I thought my buns were causing breakage. Then when I found this forum, you guys called buns a "protective" hair style so it made me rethink the fly aways. I think I'm about an inch away from classic length! I think I'll be at classic length by my wedding in June! :)

spidermom
February 10th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Likely a combination, but probably mostly new hairs.

Alissalocks
February 10th, 2017, 11:36 PM
I think I'm about an inch away from classic length! I think I'll be at classic length by my wedding in June! :) Oh gosh, that sounds so romantic!!! :love: Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials :flower: