PDA

View Full Version : Dip Dyeing Ends with Manic Panic? Help Needed Please

kittengirl
February 8th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I found a few threads on dip dyed ends but none quite had the info I need. I really would like to dye just my ends. I'm a henna head with mahogany-ish auburn hair. I need to be able to tuck the ends up into an updo, or braid and tuck under, etc, for work but I really need a splash of color!

I would love to do pink, but I don't think that would show up well on the auburn, so I would love to do a teal or something similar. Any tips on which colors or shades to use? I want to use something like Manic Panic because I DO NOT want to use typical dye as my hair hates it. Also, I do not want to use any of those ammonia-y chemicals while pregnant. I want color but not enough to damage hair or baby :p

I would love to see your results or any idea of technique, how often you have to reapply, etc. Thanks so much!!!

MsPharaohMoan
February 8th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Deposit only dyes can only go darker. You'd have to bleach if you wanted a bright color. How do you feel about black ends?

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic, I just think black ends and auburn hair is pretty xD

edit edit: after checking out the pics on your profile I see your ends are a bit lighter than your roots. I wonder if a pink would show up? You could always try doing a little bit diluted with conditioner and see what happens. Might come out a pretty maroon.

edit edit edit: page the lovely dr technicolor dream buns (pastina) in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938&page=133

kittengirl
February 8th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Deposit only dyes can only go darker. You'd have to bleach if you wanted a bright color. How do you feel about black ends?

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic, I just think black ends and auburn hair is pretty xD

edit edit: after checking out the pics on your profile I see your ends are a bit lighter than your roots. I wonder if a pink would show up? You could always try doing a little bit diluted with conditioner and see what happens. Might come out a pretty maroon.

edit edit edit: page the lovely dr technicolor dream buns (pastina) in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938&page=133

Black does sound kind of pretty but I think I might prefer a color. I can't figure out why my ends are so much lighter than my roots! A deep reddish maroon would not be bad. Do you know if manic panic or adore is better?

Alissalocks
February 8th, 2017, 11:51 PM
Until January 2016, I was a henna redhead, mostly auburn, and I would do bright colors in my bangs. I have pics in my Growth album on my profile, some show the times when I was layering my pink and purple. I did this off and on from Oct 2012 until I went black, using indigo, which is my new normal.

However, I did bleach the hair to achieve the colored look. It took 1-2 strong bleach sessions, and because I didn't want extensive damage, I kept the color to my bangs only so they could trim & regrow easily. Sometimes I did a streak at the temple, once both temples and some under fringe at my neck, but again, minimally so to reduce overall bleach damage.

MsPharaohMoan
February 9th, 2017, 01:35 AM
Black does sound kind of pretty but I think I might prefer a color. I can't figure out why my ends are so much lighter than my roots! A deep reddish maroon would not be bad. Do you know if manic panic or adore is better?

Probably just sun damage. Manic panic has always washed out easily for me. Good for testing a new color. Adore sticks very well. I had dyed my hair purple and months later still had faded pink on my ends that just wouldn't budge, even with plenty of clarifying. Just redyed, probably won't need to touch it for another few months.

Other colors might be different.

Aphra
February 9th, 2017, 05:44 AM
You could try an unnatural red if it won't clash (I am not great on working that out)

Manic panic vampire red is my favourite - it goes on dark hair (I do it on brown), and it's a dark red, but with a pinkish rather than orange tone. It also fades out reasonably slowly (i.e over a few weeks).
Infra-red is a warmer dark red that comes out more mahogany on me, but might be redder on henna red. I mix it with black to get an interview appropriate colour!

Directions do rubine and dark tulip, which are both dark pinkish reds - rubine at least will show over brown (I haven't tried dark tulip).
Directions Plum also covers brown hair if you fancy a purple (Manic panic do the same colours, but their purple didn't stick to my hair)

For teal type colours, Directions midnight blue starts a strong dark blue and fades more teal / petrol blue. It covered my brown really well, but... on parts of my hair it does not fade out completely AT ALL. So I wouldn't use it unless you are happy to commit. It is also one of the more bleedy / stainy colours I tried. MP seems to bleed less on me except in the shower where it doesn't matter.
On the flip side, Directions Alpine Green came out teal for me, but faded really quickly.

There is a lot of YMMV with this stuff, so I'd get a colour you fancy from a cheapish brand, and try a streak somewhere underneath before committing all your ends.

spidermom
February 9th, 2017, 06:24 AM
You could try a red-violet; that would likely show up. Teal on auburn would come out a muddy color, I believe.

Anje
February 9th, 2017, 06:35 AM
To get teal tones, you're going to have to bleach those ends a LOT. Teal and the orange of henna are very nearly opposites on the color wheel, so you'll get weird brown shades if they mix. Muddy teal is kinda weird, though maybe the right shade of olivey green...? Problem is that for most people, it takes lots of bleaching to get henna out, and less resilient hair is usually pretty fried at that point. (Now for ends and dip dyeing, this might not be the end of the world, as you can cut them off without losing everything if they're feeling irretrievably awful and you're sick of it.)

Pink based reds do show against henna, but I think it might be subtle. Purples though... Purple might show strongly enough without bleach and could be quite bright with it. Do you like purple?

MsPharaohMoan
February 9th, 2017, 07:12 AM
I bleached my henna once and it came out. This is just anecdotal advice, but if you decide to go this route do a bleach bath (gentler, it's diluted bleach tx) and watch the color lik

emptyque
February 9th, 2017, 08:16 AM
I've dyed my ends with Manic Panic, but I'm a blonde. My hair was shoulder length at the time, and I just combed the dye through my hair up to my ears. It lasted about a month.

kittengirl
February 9th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Until January 2016, I was a henna redhead, mostly auburn, and I would do bright colors in my bangs. I have pics in my Growth album on my profile, some show the times when I was layering my pink and purple. I did this off and on from Oct 2012 until I went black, using indigo, which is my new normal.

However, I did bleach the hair to achieve the colored look. It took 1-2 strong bleach sessions, and because I didn't want extensive damage, I kept the color to my bangs only so they could trim & regrow easily. Sometimes I did a streak at the temple, once both temples and some under fringe at my neck, but again, minimally so to reduce overall bleach damage.
That sounds really cool! I don't want to use any bleach though...my ends are bad enough, if I bleach them I fear they will up and leave me for good!

Probably just sun damage. Manic panic has always washed out easily for me. Good for testing a new color. Adore sticks very well. I had dyed my hair purple and months later still had faded pink on my ends that just wouldn't budge, even with plenty of clarifying. Just redyed, probably won't need to touch it for another few months.

Other colors might be different.
Oh, good to know, thanks!

You could try an unnatural red if it won't clash (I am not great on working that out)

Manic panic vampire red is my favourite - it goes on dark hair (I do it on brown), and it's a dark red, but with a pinkish rather than orange tone. It also fades out reasonably slowly (i.e over a few weeks).
Infra-red is a warmer dark red that comes out more mahogany on me, but might be redder on henna red. I mix it with black to get an interview appropriate colour!

Directions do rubine and dark tulip, which are both dark pinkish reds - rubine at least will show over brown (I haven't tried dark tulip).
Directions Plum also covers brown hair if you fancy a purple (Manic panic do the same colours, but their purple didn't stick to my hair)

For teal type colours, Directions midnight blue starts a strong dark blue and fades more teal / petrol blue. It covered my brown really well, but... on parts of my hair it does not fade out completely AT ALL. So I wouldn't use it unless you are happy to commit. It is also one of the more bleedy / stainy colours I tried. MP seems to bleed less on me except in the shower where it doesn't matter.
On the flip side, Directions Alpine Green came out teal for me, but faded really quickly.

There is a lot of YMMV with this stuff, so I'd get a colour you fancy from a cheapish brand, and try a streak somewhere underneath before committing all your ends.
That's a good idea, I have heard a lot about the Vampire Red, that was one I was looking at.

You could try a red-violet; that would likely show up. Teal on auburn would come out a muddy color, I believe.
Thanks for the info about the teal, I didn't know that.

To get teal tones, you're going to have to bleach those ends a LOT. Teal and the orange of henna are very nearly opposites on the color wheel, so you'll get weird brown shades if they mix. Muddy teal is kinda weird, though maybe the right shade of olivey green...? Problem is that for most people, it takes lots of bleaching to get henna out, and less resilient hair is usually pretty fried at that point. (Now for ends and dip dyeing, this might not be the end of the world, as you can cut them off without losing everything if they're feeling irretrievably awful and you're sick of it.)

Pink based reds do show against henna, but I think it might be subtle. Purples though... Purple might show strongly enough without bleach and could be quite bright with it. Do you like purple?
I DEFINITELY won't be trying teal after reading what you ladies say about it, I'm glad you warned me! Purple used to be my fav color, but not anymore:p I don't know how I feel about purple ends...

I bleached my henna once and it came out. This is just anecdotal advice, but if you decide to go this route do a bleach bath (gentler, it's diluted bleach tx) and watch the color lik
Thanks for the advice, I don't want to bleach though. Maybe once my hair is goal length and I know I'm maintaining I will experiment more with that.

I've dyed my ends with Manic Panic, but I'm a blonde. My hair was shoulder length at the time, and I just combed the dye through my hair up to my ears. It lasted about a month.
That sounds nice and easy! I bet it showed up well on blonde hair.

Thanks so much everyone for responding. I'm thinking perhaps I should wait until my hair is closer to goal and then play with it more. I don't know....I love the idea but don't want to screw up my ends and have to live with them till classic length!

Robot Ninja
February 9th, 2017, 01:11 PM
If you go with purple, you might get black. Or some shade of brown, depending on how pigmented the purple dye is.

I've dyed auburn hair with both MP Vampire Red and Fuchsia Shock. The Fuchsia was definitely more dramatic; it came out beet red. Both colors are fairly long-lasting.

If you're concerned about using chemical dyes while pregnant I wouldn't bleach either. The stuff is stinky.

kittengirl
February 9th, 2017, 02:07 PM
If you go with purple, you might get black. Or some shade of brown, depending on how pigmented the purple dye is.

I've dyed auburn hair with both MP Vampire Red and Fuchsia Shock. The Fuchsia was definitely more dramatic; it came out beet red. Both colors are fairly long-lasting.

If you're concerned about using chemical dyes while pregnant I wouldn't bleach either. The stuff is stinky.

Fuchsia sounds really pretty and like what I am looking for....there will be no bleach within a mile of my hair, pregnant or not pregnant lol :p

wispe
February 9th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Even heavily diluted in white conditioner, fuchsia shock was a really vibrant, long-lasting color on me (only time I had to actually bleach a color to get it out of my roots; the ends faded pastel but the first few inches stayed vibrant - and I was washing frequently w/ sulfates, then). When it does fade it's still gorgeous, I imagine it would look just fine over henna. I bought a tub of it Christmas before last, used it monthly for nearly a whole year, and I still have about 3/4 of the tub, it's that potent. It was the most likely to bleed while wet for the first few washes, my shampoo would lather pink - I stained my tub where my nape hair rested against the edge when I was soaking in the bath a couple weeks after I dyed it, so beware of color transfer if your damp ends sit or rub on anything for awhile. Only color I've ever had stain my towels.

lucid
February 10th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I used manic panic dye on my hair when growing it out. My hair was very damaged from bleaching (natural hair with highlights, colored it dark, regretted it, bleached it at home and it severely damaged my hair), and the dye actually made the hair so much nicer and didn't cause any new damage at all. It allowed me to grow out my hair without having to cut the bottom 10 inches off. The bottom hair was just a tiny bit lighter than my natural hair color, but the hot pink came out super vibrant. It faded to a very light strawberry blonde (only a tiny hint of color left).

I applied non-diluted dye on my hair, and faded it out so that the edge wasn't that noticeable. I used cotton candy pink to soften out the edge between my natural hair color and the hot pink, but I could also have used diluted hot pink to achieve the same result. I usually had the dye in my hair (wrapped in plastic foil) overnight, and rinsed it out with water-only the following morning.

Found a picture that shows how dark my hair was, and how vibrant the color turned out.
https://s26.postimg.org/774vo70y1/16652798_10158281428470500_213766714_n.jpg

I would guess that auburn hair is to dark for the hot pink, but I agree with the ones that suggested fuchsia shock, I think that would turn out great :)

kittengirl
February 10th, 2017, 07:15 PM
I used manic panic dye on my hair when growing it out. My hair was very damaged from bleaching (natural hair with highlights, colored it dark, regretted it, bleached it at home and it severely damaged my hair), and the dye actually made the hair so much nicer and didn't cause any new damage at all. It allowed me to grow out my hair without having to cut the bottom 10 inches off. The bottom hair was just a tiny bit lighter than my natural hair color, but the hot pink came out super vibrant. It faded to a very light strawberry blonde (only a tiny hint of color left).

I applied non-diluted dye on my hair, and faded it out so that the edge wasn't that noticeable. I used cotton candy pink to soften out the edge between my natural hair color and the hot pink, but I could also have used diluted hot pink to achieve the same result. I usually had the dye in my hair (wrapped in plastic foil) overnight, and rinsed it out with water-only the following morning.

Found a picture that shows how dark my hair was, and how vibrant the color turned out.
https://s26.postimg.org/774vo70y1/16652798_10158281428470500_213766714_n.jpg

I would guess that auburn hair is to dark for the hot pink, but I agree with the ones that suggested fuchsia shock, I think that would turn out great :)

Wow, your hair looks great! I LOVE that color on you. I appreciate the advice and I am really glad everyone thinks the Fuchsia Shock will be good because I ordered it and it should arrive Monday! I am super excited....hoping it looks nice to surprise DH for Valentine's Day. I'm going to do very small ends at first and if it looks good might go a bit higher...don't want to go higher than nape of neck because I still want to be able to put it up and cover the color (flower, snood, etc) if need be. I will post pics after I do it!!!