PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about color

hendrickx
February 6th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I want to color but don't want to commit. I'm a dark brown now, APL to BSL in length, virgin to color.

I want purple. Deep, dark purple, something like my normal color until the light hits it just right, then you see that purple sheen. I want to be able to maintain it or undo it if needed. I want to do it cheap.

Would Celeb Viral Luxury Extreme Purple get me to a decent place? Put it in, leave it 5-10 minutes, rise out, maybe twice per session 2-3 sessions a week?

That will wash out, I know, but wondering if that keeps me from dropping bunches of money at a salon.

Obsidian
February 6th, 2017, 01:12 PM
I don't think this will put enough pigment down to get the color you want. I do however, think it would be a great product to keep a purple dye job fresh looking since it comes in shampoo and conditioner. I would go with a purple from adore, they have a lot of colors to choose from.

Robot Ninja
February 6th, 2017, 01:16 PM
I want to color but don't want to commit. I'm a dark brown now, APL to BSL in length, virgin to color.

I want purple. Deep, dark purple, something like my normal color until the light hits it just right, then you see that purple sheen. I want to be able to maintain it or undo it if needed. I want to do it cheap.

Would Celeb Viral Luxury Extreme Purple get me to a decent place? Put it in, leave it 5-10 minutes, rise out, maybe twice per session 2-3 sessions a week?

That will wash out, I know, but wondering if that keeps me from dropping bunches of money at a salon.

I've never heard of it.

I'd suggest using Manic Panic. It will give you the purple sheen and will fade out after a few weeks if your hair is unprocessed. You don't need to go to a salon; Manic Panic and similar deposit-only dyes are completely non-damaging so you can do it yourself.

Alex Lou
February 6th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Worthwhile trying out some deposit only dyes like manic panic. But I always found that in my virgin hair, those dyes never lasted more than a wash or 2. It depends on your hair, but damaged hair is easier to color.

ChloeDharma
February 7th, 2017, 01:41 AM
Directions hair dye is another option, plus you can mix their colours to get the colour you want.

MoonRabbit
February 7th, 2017, 02:16 AM
I used LOreal Feria Violet Vendetta once and really loved the results. It looked like a natural dark brown indoors and a blackberry merlot in the sun.

Faraniel
February 7th, 2017, 03:53 AM
I would suggest Directions or Manic Panic, although most people use them on bleached hair I am pretty sure dark violet might do the trick without it.

spidermom
February 7th, 2017, 04:06 AM
I used Punky brand on virgin hair, and it lasted at least 4 months, although it gradually washed out a little bit at a time over that time. What started out a red-violet color ended up pinkish before it was gone completely. I left it on a long time, though; I'm talking 6-8 hours. When I followed the directions, which I think was 20 minutes, the color faded away completely in about 2-4 washings.

Kae612
February 7th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I have dark brown hair also and I've had good luck with Arctic Fox Purple Rain which is like manic panic. If you don't want commitment definitely stick with something that will wash out & not have peroxide/bleach in it.

lapushka
February 7th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Are you in the UK? Superdrug there has their own range of colors, take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yefi5iOXDw

Hay_jules
February 7th, 2017, 10:14 AM
There are quite a few brands of deposit only temporary dyes that you can try. Some are known for lasting longer than others. Purples do tend to fade a little pinker, certain pinks definitely stay around a while. Manic Panic seems to fade faster on most people, myself included, bit since you want very temporary that may be a good thing.

What is your natural colour? If it's very dark you'll need something fairly pigmented for it to even be noticeable.

Anje
February 8th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Never heard of your brand, but my deposit-only of choice is Adore (largely because I can buy it locally for cheap, big selection, and it works well for me). I just put Purple Rage over my dyed bright red hair last night, which has it a neat red wine shade of purple. Now over my natural medium-dark brown hair, Purple Rage (which is a dark violet shade) goes blackish, but a brighter and more pink-based purple should show nicely on brown.

With these deposit-only dyes, you're usually better off smearing them on clean hair and leaving them in for a while, even though the packaging often says 15 minutes. I try to shoot for an hour, but it's pretty flexible. If you choose a dye that contains peroxide (i.e. requires you to mix two bottles together), you'll want to make sure you don't go over the recommended time.

Adavidal
February 8th, 2017, 05:39 PM
I've had all sorts of fun colors in my hair and kept it dyed until two years ago. I had dark purple hair 3 times. I personally think Manic Panic is some of the worst hair dye I've used. Ion dyes are better IMO but Pravana dyes are THE BEST. You can put it over brown hair, but only if you really just want a purple sheen. It will most not dye your hair a truly purple looking unless you have dirty blonde hair at least.

Adavidal
February 8th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Also I want to add that if you're doing a deposit only color, mix in a TEENSY bit of white conditioner, slap it on your hair and leave it on for three hours. It seems like overkill but when you don't have any developer leaving it in your hair for 20 minutes will do nothing. That being said, if you do find a color that requires peroxide using volume 10 developer WILL NOT harm or lighten your hair at all. It is meant to only deposit dye. Not to bleach the hair. If you use developer you will not have to leave it in for multiple hours but it will also not fade as fast.

turtlelover
February 8th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Also I want to add that if you're doing a deposit only color, mix in a TEENSY bit of white conditioner, slap it on your hair and leave it on for three hours. It seems like overkill but when you don't have any developer leaving it in your hair for 20 minutes will do nothing. That being said, if you do find a color that requires peroxide using volume 10 developer WILL NOT harm or lighten your hair at all. It is meant to only deposit dye. Not to bleach the hair. If you use developer you will not have to leave it in for multiple hours but it will also not fade as fast.

10 Developer definitely DOES lift my natural haircolor, so this may not be true for everyone! It also does a bit of damage. Not much, but enough that it would effect my hair if I was growing it super long. Maybe if I had course, less porous hair this would not be the case, but for me, there are definitely some unwanted effects.

Adavidal
February 9th, 2017, 06:55 AM
10 Developer definitely DOES lift my natural haircolor, so this may not be true for everyone! It also does a bit of damage. Not much, but enough that it would effect my hair if I was growing it super long. Maybe if I had course, less porous hair this would not be the case, but for me, there are definitely some unwanted effects.

Oh wow, okay I guess it's different for everyone. I've never had a 10 vol lift my hair at all- even mixed with bleach. I've even struggled with 20 volume lifting my hair. And I've personally never seen damage with 10 volume developer but that's just my hair. :confused:

MsPharaohMoan
February 9th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Oh wow, okay I guess it's different for everyone. I've never had a 10 vol lift my hair at all- even mixed with bleach. I've even struggled with 20 volume lifting my hair. And I've personally never seen damage with 10 volume developer but that's just my hair. :confused:

I used 10 in a bleach bath (aka diluted) and it lifted me several shades within minutes!

Adavidal
February 9th, 2017, 03:37 PM
I used 10 in a bleach bath (aka diluted) and it lifted me several shades within minutes!

10 did literally nothing on me xD but in my first comment I was referring to using it with a hair dye color, which shouldn't lighten hair at all since it's not paired with a bleach and just mixed in with color.

Alex Lou
February 11th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Oh yes, leave it in as long as possible. You cannot leave it in too long. I used to leave purple in overnight.. but like I said a wash or 2 was all I got out of it. It depends on your hair.

Obsidian
February 11th, 2017, 03:36 PM
There is also Splat Midnight Amethyst, Its made to color dark hair vivid colors without bleach. I picked some up today to do purple tips, I'm doing a strand test right now, hoping for a nice bright color.
If you try it, you probably want to test strand to make sure you don't end up too bright.

hendrickx
February 28th, 2017, 12:51 PM
I read all of this. Might just go to a place and have it done having never colored before. I have a (bad?) habit of washing daily which I'm sure won't help color stay. Interesting to hear ideas though.

pastina
March 1st, 2017, 06:17 PM
Having it done in a place will cost more and it will still fade.

I'd suggest finding one of the direct dyes people have mentioned in this thread, and adding a bit into whatever conditioner you use when washing your hair. That, paired with using cool water to rinse, will help your color last.

hendrickx
March 13th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Having it done in a place will cost more and it will still fade.

I'd suggest finding one of the direct dyes people have mentioned in this thread, and adding a bit into whatever conditioner you use when washing your hair. That, paired with using cool water to rinse, will help your color last.

Annoyingly inexact, but probably correct. I hate not knowing quite what I'm getting myself into.

Synester
March 14th, 2017, 10:06 PM
I've had every color under the sun, and im growing out virgin right now, (but I still REALLY miss dying my hair but damage ugh) and I recommend articfox,directions hair dye, or SpecialEffects for the most LASTING deposit dyes for strong funky colors. I used to be super Scene and wanted hair color that lasted. you should at LEAST get a purple hue or shine in the sunlight for a few weeks at a time if you use color on your fairly dark hair without bleaching. wont be too noticeable though. Also OVERTONE color makes color deposit conditioners and hair masks that come in every color and different intensity's. just wash your hair normally with them and get lasting color.

Dark40
May 8th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Now I'm planning on coloring my hair too. This week. I'm planning on using Nice N' Easy Blonde shade to get my naturally dark brown hair to change to a red or a blonde shade. About 4 months ago I've used Nice N' 'Easy Light Golden Blonde, and it turned to a really nice light blonde shade on my naturally dark brown hair!!! The color I'm trying to go for I think it a light golden blonde.

Dark40
May 8th, 2017, 08:53 PM
I've had every color under the sun, and im growing out virgin right now, (but I still REALLY miss dying my hair but damage ugh) and I recommend articfox,directions hair dye, or SpecialEffects for the most LASTING deposit dyes for strong funky colors. I used to be super Scene and wanted hair color that lasted. you should at LEAST get a purple hue or shine in the sunlight for a few weeks at a time if you use color on your fairly dark hair without bleaching. wont be too noticeable though. Also OVERTONE color makes color deposit conditioners and hair masks that come in every color and different intensity's. just wash your hair normally with them and get lasting color.

I'm like you, I've also had every color under the sun too from dark brown, black, red, blonde, platinum blonde, and back to black again, then plum, and back to blonde again. I've always bounced back and have changed my colors from all over the place...lol But now as I get older I'm leaning towards of staying blonde more than brunette now. Well, right now all I really want is a change. I've been dyeing my hair black for 2 years, and now I want a change.