PDA

View Full Version : Long time, no see!

DaniiL
February 5th, 2017, 03:41 PM
In February 2010 I joined this forum, wow, that is seven years ago! How time flies! I use to read here everyday for more than a year, looking at beautiful hairs, trying all sorts of hair care, measuring my hair every month and dreaming of waist length hair. But for some reason I got tired of growing my hair and stopped reading here. The last photo of my hair was published in April 2011, almost six years ago. Since then I been around BSL more or less. The last couple of days I been feeling the need for a haircut since it's worn, "too long" and just hanging there. For some reason I decided to measure it today and it's actually longer than it was back then when I was trying to let it grow long! Six years ago it was 26.9 and now it's 28.4! Wow! Maybe I shouldn't cut it after all?? Maybe I should try to get WL? What do you think? :o

My hair today:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26092&d=1486334195

FennFire911
February 5th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I didn't know you then, but welcome back! :)
Maybe hair growth will feel more effortless for you now, since you're starting a little ahead of the curve by being longer than you thought and already crossing a milestone before you even started. Try putting off that haircut, you can always do it later after some more thought instead of regretting getting it and trying to grow out again.
Your hair is gorgeous. If it were mine, I wouldn't cut it. :D

*Wednesday*
February 5th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Don't cut it. When you are board, do updo"s or try braiding. You do have beautiful hair. Go Waist.

lapushka
February 5th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Welcome back! And that is as good as waist; looks like it to me! :D :flower:

emptyque
February 5th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Beautiful hair! I hope you do grow it to waist. :)

LongCurlyTress
February 5th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Hi Welcome back!
I have thick hair very similar to yours and just cut it back 9 inches from TBL@37in to 28 inches. :( I love this length, but when my hair is longer, it is heavier and feels so luxurious! I had to cut it back due to alot of breakage during detangling and my halo hairs were all over the place. I do feel more comfortable out in the "real" world with my hair at this length, but I miss that thick luxurious feeling of running my hands through the length. Hopefully it will grow back within the next two years.

So, to answer your question, I would grow ahead literally.. LOL just to have this luxurious experience. You can always cut it back again. I do miss my length and the uniqueness of having such long hair.. well where I live it is unusual in my age group.. California. Good luck! Let it grow!! Your hair is very pretty, btw!! :cool:

VersLaLumière
February 5th, 2017, 08:44 PM
I think it looks really good at this longer length, my vote is for no cut :D But whatever makes you happy go for it!

Kae612
February 5th, 2017, 09:05 PM
If it feels "worn" maybe a small trim or some S&D/conditioning? In the summer, before I found out any of the fantastic LHC recommendations, I was completely sure I needed to cut my hair back to shoulder length because my ends were crunchy and crummy and I had splits. First, changing my shampoo & conditioner made a huge difference (basically, actually clarifying the buildup). Learning some new moisturizing methods (like oil right after the shower! omg) made a big change, and so did S & D. Lost of splits needed to go.

Welcome back! I am a total newbie and probably post too often at this point, but it's exciting to learn new things that I had no idea about before. I think our hair is around a similar length, and I'm enjoying learning new styles that suit this length. I'm finally able to do a nautilis bun (I know some people could do it at much shorter lengths, but I couldn't earlier this year) and to me it seems like milkmaid braids just barely work at my length. So I think it's a fun length to stick with, so I totally vote to keep it!

But, even for me, I know that if my hair no longer feels like a fun hobby and becomes an annoying chore then I'm cutting it. It doesn't have to be a commitment, just a for-now, as long as it works for you, type thing. I know for me, it took about 2 1/2 to 3 years for my hair to get here from shoulder length. So I know how long it takes my hair to grow, and I know I like pretty much all the lengths in between, for different reasons. Shorter hair doesn't get caught in stuff! That's really nice. A ponytail feels like nothing, which is cool too, especially in hot weather. But I love how my long ponytail rests on my shoulder, and I'm enjoying playing with styles now. So there are pros to both sides, and whatever you would have more fun with is the right thing for you :)

Mrstran
February 5th, 2017, 09:39 PM
I say keep growing, your hair is already long. :cheer: Looking at your pic I thought you were already WL. You must be mere cm's away or less if you aren't there already.

It's pretty cool you are back on after all that time. I'm new myself. Anywho, I hope you decide to stick around and keep growing.

Groovy Granny
February 5th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Welcome back :)
I agree....you look like you are at waist now.
Your hair looks fine (pretty); please don't cut :tmi:
Micro trim if you feel you need to freshen the ends.
Happy growing :cheer:

truepeacenik
February 5th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I recognized your name!

Of course I'm going to tell you keep going. It's the long hair community. We have some biases!

Boredom? Play with up dos. You can always trim later.

DaniiL
February 6th, 2017, 12:57 AM
Thanks for your replies and welcoming me back! Of course I wasn't expecting a "chop it off"-respond, and that's not what I wanted either! I think I actually will try to reach waist this time! It might look like waist in the picture, but it's just the angle, it still needs two or three inches.
I need your help though, since I really can't do any updos! I'm a ponytail girl (woman...) and I know that's not the best for the hair. I need to put it away from my face when it annoys me! But maybe it's easier now that it's longer? So, give me your best tricks on how to do an updo with pretty thick hair!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
February 6th, 2017, 04:35 AM
Welcome back! Just let it grow and enjoy the experience. Good luck and congratulations on waist length.

FennFire911
February 6th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Thanks for your replies and welcoming me back! Of course I wasn't expecting a "chop it off"-respond, and that's not what I wanted either! I think I actually will try to reach waist this time! It might look like waist in the picture, but it's just the angle, it still needs two or three inches.
I need your help though, since I really can't do any updos! I'm a ponytail girl (woman...) and I know that's not the best for the hair. I need to put it away from my face when it annoys me! But maybe it's easier now that it's longer? So, give me your best tricks on how to do an updo with pretty thick hair!

YouTube tutorials have been a saving grace for me. I learn the names and see the results of various braids and buns here, then check YouTube to learn how to do it.

DaniiL
February 6th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Thanks! Hopefully YouTube can help even me!

DaniiL
February 6th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Really, you recognize my name!?! You must have a good memory! :D I'll take everyone's advice and keep growing it! Will try to make updos or braids.

DaniiL
February 6th, 2017, 08:47 AM
I recognized your name!

Of course I'm going to tell you keep going. It's the long hair community. We have some biases!

Boredom? Play with up dos. You can always trim later.

Really, you recognize my name!?! You must have a good memory! :D I'll take everyone's advice and keep growing it! Will try to make updos or braids.