PDA

View Full Version : Foods for Hair Growth Grocery List

cgirl
February 5th, 2017, 12:04 AM
Hi all! Since healthy hair grows from the inside I've combed the web for hair-healthy food lists and made a master list of everything I could find. I sectioned it out in 4 grocery store sections to make it easy to shop and put each section in ABC order.

The good thing is, it's a lot of really delicious food. :yumm: Anyone know of anything else? Please share! :flowers:

Produce:
aloe
amla
asparagus
Avocados
bamboo
banana
beet
blueberries
bok choy
broccoli
cabbage
camomile
carrots
catnip
cauliflower
celery
chili peppers
cilantro
cinnamon
coconut
corn
dates
fenugreek
figs
garlic
ginger
gooseberry
grapes
guava
hibiscus
horseradish
kale
lavender
leafy greens
leeks
lemon
lime
maitake mushrooms
mushrooms
mango
nettle
onions
oranges
peppermint
raspberries
red pepper
rosemary
shiitake mushrooms
spearmint
spinach
spring onions
sprouts
Sweet potatoes
swiss chard
tangerine
tomato
watermelon
Yellow bell peppers

Dry goods:
almond milk
Almonds
avocado oil
black seed oil
bone broth
brown rice
bulgur
chia
chickpeas
cinnamon
coconut oil
coconut milk
cumin
flax
hempseed
honey
licorice
oatmeal
olive oil
olives
pine nuts
pumpkin seed oil
pumpkin seeds
sesame oil
seaweed
Sunflower seeds
walnuts

Meat & dairy:
beef
butter
buttermilk
CHEESE! :cheese:
cottage cheese
Eggs
feta
goat milk
liver
greek yogurt
Oysters
prawns
poultry
Salmon
sardines
shrimp
tuna

Drinks:
beer (ipa)
bamboo tea
chia drink
coconut water
green tea
kombucha
orange juice with vitamin D
red wine
water

Serimel
February 5th, 2017, 12:22 AM
Thank you for making this list! It is so useful. Need to start doing my shopping lists picking ingredients from here! :D

littlestarface
February 5th, 2017, 12:34 AM
Dont forget pizza and regular mushrooms yumm!!! I love those babies fried in butter oooooooooooo.

LittleQuill
February 5th, 2017, 01:59 AM
I agree! Thank you for all the research! I think you're right, there's lots of good foods in there. It's confirmed yet again that eating healthy is key. (I'm also happy that red wine is in there too. Does that mean I can drink more of it, cause it helps my hair grow? :lol: :P)

lapushka
February 5th, 2017, 04:02 AM
I think you can make a list of just about *every* food out there. :lol: Anything is good for hair, as long as it's healthy.

But it's a nice idea, nonetheless. :)

*** oops double post ***

lapushka
February 5th, 2017, 04:03 AM
I think you can make a list of just about *every* food out there. :lol: Anything is good for hair, as long as it's healthy.

Is cabbage, and red cabbage on there already? Oh, and just plain "yoghurt". Oh, and coffee!

Hinza
February 5th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Kombucha is too sour for teeth to drink often! Be carefully.

NimbleNut
February 5th, 2017, 08:55 AM
I'm so excited that IPA's and red wine made the list! I actually eat quite a lot of the foods on your list. My hair should be growing like mad!

emptyque
February 5th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Basically, but I still want to incorporate more of the produce into my diet. I love trying different vegetables.

FennFire911
February 5th, 2017, 06:06 PM
I really need to work on getting back to clean eating. Pasta and ice cream is what I'm overloading on tonight. I think if I would eat more whole foods in general I would be better off.
Great list though. I'll work more of those in when I do come back to my senses and start eating right again.

cgirl
February 6th, 2017, 01:40 AM
Well, not every food.The foods bad for hair are fish high in mercury like sword fish, starchy foods like white bread, white rice & refined flour, sugar, anything with artificial sweetener, fried foods, too much alcohol or caffeine, yeah pretty much anything unhealthy or overly-processed. I've done a lot of research (as a research librarian), and in doing so, I am also suspect of soy, gmo food, and anything microwaved. :couch:

Arctic
February 6th, 2017, 05:54 AM
For vegetarians and vegans, foods containing amino acid called lysine are something to add more to a diet. Lysine is apparently an amino acid that takes a bit of planning to get enough. It's essential, and needs to come from food. It has lot of tasks in human body, several have to do with hair. Legumes of all kinds are where one gets lysine from vegan options the most.

Mrstran
February 9th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Someone should cram that list into one master elixir.

pandabarrier
February 13th, 2017, 06:18 PM
I've noticed that if I eat almonds regularly my nails grow super fast and strong. I don't know if it helped with the hair.

Dark40
February 16th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Dont forget pizza and regular mushrooms yumm!!! I love those babies fried in butter oooooooooooo.

Yeah, me too!

Dark40
February 16th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Don't forget Avacados
Peanuts
Peanut Butter
Almonds
Mostly nuts
Brocolli Seed Oil
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Chicken
Fish
Salmon

lapushka
February 17th, 2017, 05:41 AM
I see sprouts on the list but are those Brussels sprouts? Just thought I'd mention it.

ChloeDharma
February 17th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I see sprouts on the list but are those Brussels sprouts? Just thought I'd mention it.

I'm going to assume it's sprouted seeds etc like mung bean, fenugreek etc. Sprouting apparently makes them more nutrient dense. That said Brussels sprouts are rich in sulphur (I think, they smell like they are anyway!) which is good for many things including hair.

The list is a great idea and if it helps people focus on adding more healthy foods into their diet that's great!

pandabarrier
May 28th, 2017, 07:52 AM
I've been craving for asparagus and peanuts lately (not pregnant). I wonder if it's a way my body is telling me too eat more food for hair growth list?

mira-chan
May 28th, 2017, 08:19 AM
I'm going to assume it's sprouted seeds etc like mung bean, fenugreek etc. Sprouting apparently makes them more nutrient dense. That said Brussels sprouts are rich in sulphur (I think, they smell like they are anyway!) which is good for many things including hair.

The list is a great idea and if it helps people focus on adding more healthy foods into their diet that's great!

Yup, sprouting them makes more of the nutrients in the available to the body. A lot of plant components humans can't break down and during germination plants produce enzymes to breaks some of them down so they can use them for growth. These things are more digestible to humans as well at that point. :)

pandabarrier
May 28th, 2017, 09:38 AM
One time I cooked Brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving dinner. DH didn't even touch them. I think it's because of bad association, he told me later when he was in grade school he had to walk by a field where cows ate Brussel sprouts leftovers from nearby farms (Salinas, CA, US). TMI, he said the smell was overwhelming. :laugh:
We add alfafa sprouts in our sandwiches and veggie burgers, we shall do this more often with the warmer weather.
My mother often adds sautéed soybean sprouts in the fried noodles, they are crunchy and delicious, and go well with scallions.