PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice before starting Hairprint

Lisa-K
February 4th, 2017, 02:50 AM
It took me many years, but I am finally ready to give up on my L'oreal blonde dye. I'm finally ready to accept and love my darker color. If I didn't have a significant amount of greys by now, I would just let it grow all natural and not mess with the color anymore. However, the greys are really bothering me. I'm 33, I'm not ready to rock it yet.

So, I found Hairprint. It's an all natural solution. I was reading their FAQ about how to transition if you have chemically dyed hair: https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/222086047-Transition-Tips-for-Dyed-Chemically-Treated-Hai (https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/222086047-Transition-Tips-for-Dyed-Chemically-Treated-Hair)r They say that the dyed part will have to be protected by either coconut butter or shae butter, because it will soak up way too much product and thus turn way too dark. Whereas virgin hair will react properly to it and not turn darker than its natural shade. Now, I was wondering, considering the hassle that this will apparently be, trying to cover ALL of my dyed lengths properly before using hairprint, do you think it would make more sense for me to just go ahead and cut off some length now?

It reaches my bra strap. Obviously, my long term goal is to let it grow and have it as long as possible. But, I'm starting to wonder if there's really any point to hanging onto my length right now, when it's obviously damaged (even though it looks and feels fine) and will be a hassle trying to protect from soaking up too much Hairprint.

I'm not sure what to do right now. I have about 2" of new growth, so it's getting to the point where it's becoming quite visible. If I let it grow any further without any color treatment, I'm going to look like an absolute mess ... Blonde at the bottom, brown with grey at the top ... lovely!

I know some of you here have used Hairprint before. Any particular advice? I would love to read about your experiences with it.

cgirl
February 4th, 2017, 04:13 AM
I have never used Hairprint, so I cannot hep you there, but I was facing a similar dilemma as to whether or not to cut back my chemically damaged hair.

I got a straight perm beginning of last October and debated cutting off the damage and starting over virgin hair, though I would lose a lot of length. :scissors: shudder:

That will always be an option, but you cannot take it back once you do. Now that I've found this site, I've been able to find some really great advice for my hair. It's in much better place than it was, so I am going to hold on to it and keep growing for now.

You could always rock a top bun, hat, or scarf for the few months and grow it out a few more inches and then reassess the situation.:king: It really might not look as bad as you think at all! :hifive:

lapushka
February 4th, 2017, 05:51 AM
So, I found Hairprint. It's an all natural solution. I was reading their FAQ about how to transition if you have chemically dyed hair: https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/222086047-Transition-Tips-for-Dyed-Chemically-Treated-Hai (https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/222086047-Transition-Tips-for-Dyed-Chemically-Treated-Hair)r They say that the dyed part will have to be protected by either coconut butter or shae butter, because it will soak up way too much product and thus turn way too dark. Whereas virgin hair will react properly to it and not turn darker than its natural shade. Now, I was wondering, considering the hassle that this will apparently be, trying to cover ALL of my dyed lengths properly before using hairprint, do you think it would make more sense for me to just go ahead and cut off some length now?

I would use a regular semi or demi that you can get at say... Sally's? This sounds a little "iffy" to me. Normally that hair would just not color aka deepen in tone, protected or not.

Agnieszka
February 4th, 2017, 06:24 AM
I had similar dilemma and just cut it all off. I avoided mirrors, wore a hat most of the time. After a year I cut the bottom of my hair to have fashionable long bob. Now it's shoulder length and all my own colour. It was hard and I felt unattractive for almost a year. Short hair is lovely on others but it is not nice on me. Anyway, I just wanted to say that cutting all damaged hair off was a very relieving thing to do and for me it was the best decision. But that year with pixie was hard.

Nique1202
February 4th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Such a grand, long list of ingredients and not a one of them seems to be the one that colours the hair (I can find no instance of "color", "colour", or "tint" on the ingredients page in any of the things that are in the products). I am EXTREMELY suspect of products like this. They're nearly always ineffective or no less damaging than commercial dyes, or both. Plus, there's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't make the un-dyed dark hair darker at the same time as colouring the grey, you'd still probably have streaks on top of the demarcation line from the old dye damage. The claims are unrealistic.

If you're really uncomfortable with your greys, you're going to get a more consistent result with commercial dyes. You can get deposit-only dyes that have no ammonia or peroxide and come in natural colours, though I don't know what brands would be available to you specifically. Or, maybe you'll have to use something a little stronger to get the kind of coverage you need. But, "natural" products aren't going to be the answer or everyone would be using them already.

Lisa-K
February 4th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Well, from my understanding, this is a fairly new product. Some youtubers have given it a shot (some were not sponsored and unbiased), and they all said it made their hair feel great and really did bring out their natural shade, while covering whites / greys.

This is from Hairprint's website:

Our patented formula creates eumelanin, the pigment that colors all brown and black hair. Hair color is provided by pigment created in the cells inside the hair follicle. Hairprint imitates that biological process and adds eumelanin to your hair from the outside. Working with a vegetable extract from velvet beans, we have created a simple way to restore gray hair. There are no dyes, no PPD, no PTD, no coal tars, no parabens, ammonia, smells, itching or burning. Hairprint not only restores your hair color, it also strengthens the hair, and adds body and shine. The eumelanin pigment that is naturally in your hair is a protein. So while you are changing your gray hairs back to their true color, you are also adding protein to the hair.

Hairprint restores the natural pigment to your hair. Your hair has a unique genetic structure, which we call your "hairprint". It is as unique to you as your fingerprint. This structure determines how pigment is arranged in the hair, and that arrangement determines how light refracts, and refraction determines how we perceive color. Dyes do not do this. That is why hair colored with natural pigment will always look different and better than hair that is dyed.

During a Hairprint treatment, new eumelanin is synthesized within the cortex of the hair. This process is called melanogenesis and happens continuously within the body.

hayheadsbird
February 4th, 2017, 07:38 AM
I noticed it said on their website you could use it with henna, but not commercial dye

Nique1202
February 4th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Well, from my understanding, this is a fairly new product. Some youtubers have given it a shot (some were not sponsored and unbiased), and they all said it made their hair feel great and really did bring out their natural shade, while covering whites / greys.

This is from Hairprint's website:

The whole quote is self-contradictory and the science is faulty. Depositing artificial eumelanin (even if it's refined from velvet beans, or whatever) is still depositing a dye from the outside in. And their entire concept of hair structure is fundamentally unsound, there are no cells in the hair shaft that create pigment and there's not a "genetic structure" to hair either. If they can't even get that right, how good can their product's science be?

Maybe some youtubers used it and weren't paid, but I doubt that positive results from this product are the norm. Natural is not better or healthier, and I doubt that this is cheaper in the long run than commercial products. The more I read, the more my recommendation is to skip it.

Lisa-K
February 4th, 2017, 09:11 AM
To be honest though, the only negative advice I have read is from people who haven't even tried it. Everyone who has actually tried has said nothing but good things about it. As in: their color looks super natural, their hair feels great and healthy. I'm not dismissing your comment. Not at all. I'm just interested in the fact that no one who has tried it has said anything bad about it. I'd be willing to give it a chance. I know some people here have tried it, and they were quite positive about it as well, so I was hoping they would chime in and give us more details.

Obsidian
February 4th, 2017, 09:13 AM
If they grey is that bothersome and you really want to use hairprint, then I would cut off the colored bits. Your other option is to use temporary hair dye like adore until you have more virgin growth, then switch to hairprint after a cut.

hayheadsbird
February 4th, 2017, 09:18 AM
It almost sounds like a more complex henna treatment. Hair ends up a different colour, (at least they grey, I've henna' my hair in the past and had virtually no colour change, yes I'm looking at you lush caca), it's a bad idea to use on bleach and dye and have a predictable outcome, and hair feels thicker and stronger than before treatment.

melanogenesis Is the process of developing melanin in the lower epidermis. Don't think it actually happens in you hair all by itself.

Lisa-K
February 4th, 2017, 09:24 AM
melanogenesis Is the process of developing melanin in the lower epidermis. Don't think it actually happens in you hair all by itself.

Yeah, the grey length will not change in its core. Although it will cover it, I think it's supposed to really help the new growth come out with more melanin. (At least if I understand it right) I saw someone who mentioned that the longer you use it, the less frequently it will be needed.

lapushka
February 4th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I would *not* put any trust in YTers, *especially* the "so-called" unbiased ones - you never know which ones were sponsored. Maybe they tried something else on their hair, and just marketed the product. You never know.

I would try a standard semi/demi, but that's what I would do, and I've had my share of disasters.

cgirl
February 4th, 2017, 01:10 PM
This is just my :twocents: so please don't feel like I'm preachin or anything :soapbox:, but I am about the same age as you and I have a ton of grays coming in. And it's tough. I can't help but think that it is going to make me look, well, old and gray. :coffee:

But working on accepting my body as it ages has really freed me from a lot of mental shackles. :meditate: Because I had to ask myself, why am I so afraid of gray and aging?
And i had to be honest. It's because I don't want to give up being a youthful girl, I want others to see me as youthful, and aging is scary.
But there is only one alternative to aging and it is much, much worse. :thud:

Anyone who would treat you any worse because you look older isn't someone you want in your life period. :agree:

When I was younger, and I pictured the old woman I wanted to be, I pictured this mystical wise old woman with a long flowing skirt and hand-knit shawl, who smells like sage and lavendar, with a long gray braid down her back, deep laugh-lines, and a strong, yet kind expression earned from life experience. :toast:
And, for me, the next chapter of my life will be to start saying goodbye to the preppy college/career city girl of my youth and start heading (or at least turning) in that direction.

That said, I did have an 80 yr old professor who rocked henna so much and she looked fabulous. So live your life! :disco: But don't be afraid to embrace being an old woman because older women are an exquisitely rich kind of beauty like seaglass and diamonds that can only be earned with time. :heart:

meteor
February 4th, 2017, 01:25 PM
After looking at the ingredients (https://www.myhairprint.com/pages/ingredients) and searching throughout their website, I still can't figure out what specific technology and/or specific ingredients are actually addressing their marketing claim. :hmm: Is it just me? How exactly is the product supposed to work? If anybody can find any patents linked to this product, then we could check them out, but so far, I've found nothing at all to support their claim. :shrug:

meteor
February 4th, 2017, 01:33 PM
A-ha, I found the ingredients, finally! :)

https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220104228-What-are-the-Ingredients-in-Hairprint-

Here is the list of Hairprint's food-grade ingredients:

aqua (purified and deionized water).
bicarbonate of soda is what we use at home for baking and cleaning.
mucuna pruriens extract is made from velvet beans.
sodium carbonate is made from salt and limestone.
ferrous and manganese gluconate are both food supplements used in multi-vitamins.
hydrogen peroxide is made of oxygen and water and naturally occurs in the hair follicle.*
diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring sedimentary rock made from ancient deposits of hard-shelled algae.
carbomer is an inert thickener used in shampoos and pharmaceutical products.

So yeah, it's good ole' hydrogen peroxide doing the job. ;)

sumidha
February 4th, 2017, 02:30 PM
If you only have two inches of natural hair grown in and the rest is bleached, and you're considering cutting off everything that's been bleached, you'll basically end up with a pixie cut? Or am I misunderstanding...

I think personally I'd try to match my natural hair with a non-permanent dye rather than loosing a ton of length, lots of people like Adore and it comes in a ton of natural shades, although I can't personally vouch for it. I'd probably save up some sheds and do some strand testing to see if I could match the natural color reasonably well. Please post before and afters if you do end up using the myhairprint stuff, I'm curious to see how it will work. :)

Also really curious as to why there's diatomaceous earth in it... :confused:

Llama
February 4th, 2017, 03:39 PM

There's an alternative to aging?! :p

Nique1202
February 4th, 2017, 03:45 PM

https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220104228-What-are-the-Ingredients-in-Hairprint-

Ahh, good job finding the list! Saying it's made of "water and oxygen" is like saying cyanide is just "carbon and nitrogen" - it's the assembly that makes the difference. Peroxide is a bleaching agent, and will cause damage with use.

cgirl
February 4th, 2017, 07:25 PM
There's an alternative to aging?! :p

Well, not to be morbid, but sadly there are those who will never make it to old age. :rip:
Anyone who makes it to an advanced age is a survivor of a tough world with lots of variables. :blossom:

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 4th, 2017, 11:40 PM
I would *not* put any trust in YTers, *especially* the "so-called" unbiased ones - you never know which ones were sponsored. Maybe they tried something else on their hair, and just marketed the product. You never know.

I would try a standard semi/demi, but that's what I would do, and I've had my share of disasters.

Or didn't actually use the product at all...

YouTube beauty gurus are the worst at advice especially when they're reviewing products... I'm fine when it comes to natural alternatives but the second that they start talking about products and making haul videos I'm out. I wouldn't use this stuff since it has hydrogen peroxide. That stuff dries hair out pretty bad.

Lisa-K
February 5th, 2017, 05:14 AM
If you only have two inches of natural hair grown in and the rest is bleached, and you're considering cutting off everything that's been bleached, you'll basically end up with a pixie cut? Or am I misunderstanding...

lol No, I wouldn't cut it that short. Maybe shoulder length. Because there would be less length to deal with (and thus trying to protect properly from the product), I'd be lowering the risks of missing some spots and ending up with oddly colored parts.

Lisa-K
February 5th, 2017, 05:22 AM
This is just my :twocents: so please don't feel like I'm preachin or anything :soapbox:, but I am about the same age as you and I have a ton of grays coming in. And it's tough. I can't help but think that it is going to make me look, well, old and gray. :coffee:

But working on accepting my body as it ages has really freed me from a lot of mental shackles. :meditate: Because I had to ask myself, why am I so afraid of gray and aging?
And i had to be honest. It's because I don't want to give up being a youthful girl, I want others to see me as youthful, and aging is scary.

Anyone who would treat you any worse because you look older isn't someone you want in your life period. :agree:

When I was younger, and I pictured the old woman I wanted to be, I pictured this mystical wise old woman with a long flowing skirt and hand-knit shawl, who smells like sage and lavendar, with a long gray braid down her back, deep laugh-lines, and a strong, yet kind expression earned from life experience. :toast:
And, for me, the next chapter of my life will be to start saying goodbye to the preppy college/career city girl of my youth and start heading (or at least turning) in that direction.

That said, I did have an 80 yr old professor who rocked henna so much and she looked fabulous. So live your life! :disco: But don't be afraid to embrace being an old woman because older women are an exquisitely rich kind of beauty like seaglass and diamonds that can only be earned with time. :heart:

I don't mind ageing. I just don't like the look of grey hair mixed in with brown hair. It's a personal preference. My long term approach would be similar to my mom's: color it as long as it's grey mixed in with brown, and then completely ditch the dye when it's come to the point where it's mostly grey / white, and no color in between.

reilly0167
February 5th, 2017, 11:51 AM

Beautifully said.

Lisa-K
February 6th, 2017, 05:34 AM
Okay girls, I think I'm going to give Hairprint a try. I've looked and looked, and I can't really seem to find a better alternative. I love all the review pictures posted by people all over the web. They all look super natural, like they didn't even dye their hair at all. I want a natural result. All the other dyes I've found were basically henna, and I don't feel comfortable trying that, because I'm pretty sure I'll end up with copper or reddish tones, and I don't want that. I can't seem to find deposit dyes where I live (Belgium), so I haven't been able to compare those yet.

The peroxide level in Hairprint is extremely low. Some people here put honey on their hair, which contains that as well.

lapushka
February 6th, 2017, 05:48 AM
Keep us posted, good or bad. :)

Lisa-K
February 6th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Keep us posted, good or bad. :)

I'm not concerned about damage, since it cannot possibly be more damaging than my good old l'oreal dye :D The only thing I'll be keeping my fingers crossed about is that hopefully it won't turn my hair way darker than I've planned lol We'll see. It's expensive as Hell with shipping, unfortunately. Hopefully, delivery time won't be too slow.

lapushka
February 6th, 2017, 06:03 AM
I'm not concerned about damage, since it cannot possibly be more damaging than my good old l'oreal dye :D The only thing I'll be keeping my fingers crossed about is that hopefully it won't turn my hair way darker than I've planned lol We'll see. It's expensive as Hell with shipping, unfortunately. Hopefully, delivery time won't be too slow.

Don't get me wrong, I do respect the choice you've made, but I don't think this stuff will be better than a regular semi/demi from your local Sally's. :shrug: I do hope you're going to be satisfied with the product and that it won't ruin your hair. I hope not!!!

After all this time (and with all the experimenting I've done), I don't think drugstore brands or brands from a hair supply store are bad. I would put my trust in that more rather than dye from a rather unknown site on the web (especially at that price), but that's just me, and you've made your choice. I do hope it works out! :flower:

Good luck to you, and I mean that!!! :)

Lisa-K
February 6th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Don't get me wrong, I do respect the choice you've made, but I don't think this stuff will be better than a regular semi/demi from your local Sally's. :shrug:

I don't have a local Sally's lol I'm in Belgium.

meteor
February 6th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Please keep us posted! :D

Just one thing I wanted to add: when I ignore the marketing and read the ingredients list (https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220104228-What-are-the-Ingredients-in-Hairprint-) and the application process (https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220692367-Single-Kit-Portion-Application), all I'm seeing is just a dye process with developer and some harsh ingredients. This is just not the safest available method out there, honestly. :flower:

If one is trying to go darker, one can absolutely avoid peroxide altogether. There is simply no need for developer. :flower: True semi dyes without any developer (like Adore, Manic Panic, Stargazer, etc...) work like tinted conditioners rather than permanent dyes and they will stain grays, some last longer than others depending on the colors and the formula, some have differences in how they show on grays and how they wash out. If you want the least damaging options, I'd definitely research those types of products... and/or henndigo, too, if you want something completely permanent. (Depending on ratios of indigo & henna (and optional additives) and the starting color, you can avoid the orange tones that you are concerned about. But this stuff is really permanent.)

Best of luck! :cheer: And please keep us posted on how things go, whatever you decide to do! :D

OhSuzi
February 6th, 2017, 07:54 AM
good luck! - you can be a long hair community scout - ready to go where no hair has gone before and then give your unbiased opinion with before & after pics & let us know if you survived / would recommend it / of its any less more damaging / succesful at colouring your hair. Maybe keep us updated if it has the same effects over time eg does it fade, does it damage like bleach does if you over use it etc.

Lisa-K
February 6th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Please keep us posted! :D

Just one thing I wanted to add: when I ignore the marketing and read the ingredients list (https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220104228-What-are-the-Ingredients-in-Hairprint-) and the application process (https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220692367-Single-Kit-Portion-Application), all I'm seeing is just a dye process with developer and some harsh ingredients. This is just not the safest available method out there, honestly. :flower:

If one is trying to go darker, one can absolutely avoid peroxide altogether. There is simply no need for developer. :flower: True semi dyes without any developer (like Adore, Manic Panic, Stargazer, etc...) work like tinted conditioners rather than permanent dyes and they will stain grays, some last longer than others depending on the colors and the formula, some have differences in how they show on grays and how they wash out. If you want the least damaging options, I'd definitely research those types of products... and/or henndigo, too, if you want something completely permanent. (Depending on ratios of indigo & henna (and optional additives) and the starting color, you can avoid the orange tones that you are concerned about. But this stuff is really permanent.)

Best of luck! :cheer: And please keep us posted on how things go, whatever you decide to do! :D

Okay, I just googled the Hell out of this. I think I just found a store in the UK that will ship to Belgium. Adore is super cheap!!! Wow. Might be worth giving this a shot before I spend the big bucks on Hairprint. Does anyone know what the difference is between Adore and Adore Plus? One girl on youtube says it smells gross like fish lol

meteor
February 6th, 2017, 07:58 AM
good luck! - you can be a long hair community scout - ready to go where no hair has gone before and then give your unbiased opinion with before & after pics & let us know if you survived / would recommend it / of its any less more damaging / succesful at colouring your hair. Maybe keep us updated if it has the same effects over time eg does it fade, does it damage like bleach does if you over use it etc.

^ It looks like one or two LHCers have tried it and reviewed before :)
e.g. see a few pages into this thread: "Restores gray hair to its true color" - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131722

meteor
February 6th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Okay, I just googled the Hell out of this. I think I just found a store in the UK that will ship to Belgium. Adore is super cheap!!! Wow. Might be worth giving this a shot before I spend the big bucks on Hairprint. Does anyone know what the difference is between Adore and Adore Plus? One girl on youtube says it smells gross like fish lol

Oh that's a great idea! :thumbsup:

I haven't used Adore, but I think Anje and quite a few other LHCers have. You can find more info on it on the LHC (e.g. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109113 , http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136764) and forums dedicated to hair color (e.g. Hair Crazy or Hair Dye Forum), but I don't know about specifically Adore Plus. I heard that it is meant to be more conditioning and provide better coverage for grays, but don't quote me on that. ;)

Lisa-K
February 6th, 2017, 08:14 AM
^ It looks like one or two LHCers have tried it and reviewed before :)
e.g. see a few pages into this thread: "Restores gray hair to its true color" - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131722

So basically, the same happened in that thread as it did in this one: everybody said it was horrible without having ever tried it, which scared away those who were interested. And then the one person who did try it kind of liked the result from her first test, but never came back to report on longer term results lol So in the end, we still don't know. If you girls keep scaring everyone, we'll never know :D Even I was 99% decided, but then I end up going back & forth after people keep mentioning deposit dyes (which don't seem to be available in my country, so I have to find an e-shop that will ship it to my location).

I've been reading some feedback about deposit dyes, and I've read that since it fades after 3 to 4 weeks, you need to reapply it quite often, which apparently does dry hair out somewhat on the long run. Can anyone here confirm this? Still not sure the deposit dye will look natural.

lapushka
February 6th, 2017, 08:17 AM
I don't have a local Sally's lol I'm in Belgium.

I didn't know that. We have hair supply stores too, at least where I live, and you can buy a brand like "Indola" for example. I have tried that brand with great success (gentle, nice application). I know it is hard to come by a semi/demi here, I know. I feel your pain. But you can still order online from legit hair supply stores, both in Belgium as in The Netherlands. You have to look around a bit. But do try and look up "Indola".

Should have said straight away you were in Belgium, then I could have helped.

Lisa-K
February 6th, 2017, 08:25 AM
I didn't know that. We have hair supply stores too, at least where I live, and you can buy a brand like "Indola" for example. I have tried that brand with great success (gentle, nice application). I know it is hard to come by a semi/demi here, I know. I feel your pain. But you can still order online from legit hair supply stores, both in Belgium as in The Netherlands. You have to look around a bit. But do try and look up "Indola".

Should have said straight away you were in Belgium, then I could have helped.

Ooo! Any shops / e-shops you would recommend? I can't seem to find any ingredient list for Indola.

I just read about Adore's ingredients, and I'm not sure how that's supposed to be better than Hairprint? I can't even pronounce half of that:

NEW Formula (Updated Dec 14): Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis, Citric Acid, Hydroxyproplynmethilcellulos, Octocynol-9, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate, Glycerine, Trimethylsilyamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Collagen, PPG-1, PEG-9, Lauryl Glycother, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Fragrance. May Contain: CI42090, CI45100, CI28440, CI42520, CI19140

meteor
February 6th, 2017, 09:04 AM
I just read about Adore's ingredients, and I'm not sure how that's supposed to be better than Hairprint? I can't even pronounce half of that:
NEW Formula (Updated Dec 14): Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis, Citric Acid, Hydroxyproplynmethilcellulos, Octocynol-9, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate, Glycerine, Trimethylsilyamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Collagen, PPG-1, PEG-9, Lauryl Glycother, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Fragrance. May Contain: CI42090, CI45100, CI28440, CI42520, CI19140

Hmm, I see just some pretty standard ingredients found in conditioners, multiple colors (of course), preservative, fragrance, that's it. :shrug: Which specific ingredients are you struggling with, Lisa-K? Maybe we could help or just googling can help? :)

I've been reading some feedback about deposit dyes, and I've read that since it fades after 3 to 4 weeks, you need to reapply it quite often, which apparently does dry hair out somewhat on the long run. Can anyone here confirm this? Still not sure the deposit dye will look natural.

Many deposit dyes don't look natural, that's true. Many are "fashion dyes", but quite a few brands have natural ranges, too. The reapplying process *could* dry hair out from basic wet manipulation, I would imagine, but many people report that they find them quite conditioning. And yes, they do fade, especially on low-porosity hair, if you wash hair frequently, spend a lot of time in the sun, etc... Some colors tend to stick around for longer (because of the size of the pigment molecules), for example, reds and pinks tend to last longer than blues in deposit dyes, generally speaking. A lot depends on the specific formula. I'd research specific products quite a bit before committing to anything (on LHC, Hair Dye Forum, Hair Crazy, etc...).

Anje
February 6th, 2017, 11:29 AM

Here is the list of Hairprint's food-grade ingredients:

aqua (purified and deionized water).
bicarbonate of soda is what we use at home for baking and cleaning.
mucuna pruriens extract is made from velvet beans.
sodium carbonate is made from salt and limestone.
ferrous and manganese gluconate are both food supplements used in multi-vitamins.
hydrogen peroxide is made of oxygen and water and naturally occurs in the hair follicle.*
diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring sedimentary rock made from ancient deposits of hard-shelled algae.
carbomer is an inert thickener used in shampoos and pharmaceutical products.

Gotta love the greenwashing descriptions, don't you? ;)

Yeah, I've been using Adore and have been really happy with it. Doesn't fade inordinately, doesn't seem like it transfers, and the colors turn out how you expect. It isn't heavily perfumed either, which is nice -- I'd rather have some mild odd smells than mild smells plus some overwhelming disgusting sweet stench. My only complaint has been that the protein content is a bit much for my hair, but my hair is far more picky about such things than most people's; even now that it's bleached, my hair doesn't particularly like the protein content.

nekosan
February 6th, 2017, 11:39 AM

In my experience, deposit only dyes (Manic Panic, La Reiche Directions, Stargazer) were basically like a conditioner treatment, as far as my hair's reaction went. (That is, not drying *at all*, even with repeated applications.) The colors did wash out quickly on me, although i did go for plum/violet/fire engine red/blue. Adore does have a lot of more natural colors; i think it's just that a lot of people who go for these dyes gravitate to the wild colors.

Lisa-K
February 6th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Adore does have a lot of more natural colors; i think it's just that a lot of people who go for these dyes gravitate to the wild colors.

Haha! Yeah, I noticed when browsing through reviews. Almost nobody actually tried a natural shade lol I'm totally willing to give this one a shot. Maybe light gold brown, or honey brown. Those two seem nice.

Does anyone know if Adore is safe during pregnancy? We're planning for another baby in the near future. I completely stopped dyeing my hair during my previous pregnancy, but oh boy, I looked like a mess by the time he was born. I'd like to look somewhat decent next time around. No obvious roots, no greys. Just a nice, natural looking, somewhat even color. I'm just not sure if anything out there is 100% safe while pregnant.

lapushka
February 6th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Ooo! Any shops / e-shops you would recommend? I can't seem to find any ingredient list for Indola.

I got my Indola at "The Hair & Beauty shop", it is a local hair supply store. I'm not sure they are in other towns and cities. You'd have to research a bit. I think they are in Antwerp, Aartselaar, Merksem, Lier, Brasschaat, etc. etc.

e-shops I'm not sure. I got my scissors at a Dutch store, this one, and I was pretty satisfied at the time (you could pay w/ Paypal at the time and that was most important to me). But I've never gotten hair color from them.
http://www.flash-world.nl/catalog/

They do have their semi's listed separately (and they do have Indola - but not the one I had at the time!!!):
http://www.flash-world.nl/catalog/index.php?cPath=97

Lisa-K
February 6th, 2017, 12:10 PM
^^ Thank you so much Lapushka! I will definitely look into those!

Lisa-K
February 7th, 2017, 01:19 AM
Okay, for anyone who's worried about the hydrogen peroxide contained in Hairprint, I got a response from Hairprint's customer support:

*The concentrations of food-grade hydrogen peroxide we use are between 1% and 1.5%, a fraction of what one gets in drugstore peroxide. In conventional hair dyes, peroxide is used to break open the hair, and can be up to a 12-15% concentration. We do not use peroxide to open the hair follicle (which is very damaging) but rather to oxidize the mucuna pruriens extract. By the time Hairprint is applied to your hair, the peroxide is virtually gone.

What do you all think about this?

lapushka
February 7th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I think that is BS.

Things like this (new discoveries in hair care) either are patented fast, or copied in vast amounts; even when patented. When it doesn't "catch on", that is saying something.

I wouldn't trust it.

But you keep going on about it. I think you have your heart set on trying it. Maybe you should get it out of your system? ;)

Laccaria
February 7th, 2017, 09:14 AM
I actually think it could be true. From reading the patents linked on this thread and the other hairprint thread, I would guess that it's the baking soda and/or washing soda that swell the hair shaft (NOT the follicle) and allow the dye to deposit under the cuticle.

I'm not a chemist, so grain of salt and all that. But, as I understand it, conventional permanent and demi-permanent dyes use ammonium or something similar for this step. The peroxide is present to break down existing hair pigments and to oxidize the dye molecules into a their final form. No hair dye is intended to "open the hair follicle." That really would be bad!

I am personally a little leery of this company because they seem to be pretty heavy on the green washing. But, just because the product is really more like conventional hair dying than magic, doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad product. It really may work better for some people considering the range of responses different hair has to pretty much anything we do to it.

meteor
February 7th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Okay, for anyone who's worried about the hydrogen peroxide contained in Hairprint, I got a response from Hairprint's customer support:

*The concentrations of food-grade hydrogen peroxide we use are between 1% and 1.5%, a fraction of what one gets in drugstore peroxide. In conventional hair dyes, peroxide is used to break open the hair, and can be up to a 12-15% concentration. We do not use peroxide to open the hair follicle (which is very damaging) but rather to oxidize the mucuna pruriens extract. By the time Hairprint is applied to your hair, the peroxide is virtually gone.

What do you all think about this?

Even 40 vol developer is only 12% ... and that's considered very high concentration of hydrogen peroxide.

Just to give you an example, 10 vol is 3%. So 1.5% is not all that much lower.
I don't know for a fact what exactly they are doing since they seem to use a lot of words that don't really describe the actual chemical process, but just looking at the application process (https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220692367-Single-Kit-Portion-Application), where they mix powder and liquid in a non-aluminum bowl, wearing gloves, I still think this is oxidative process, the kind they essentially use in permanents and demis.

Oxidative dyes are more damaging that deposit-only, *true* semis, which don't use any developer at all and simply "stain" hair.

And it sounds like using the pre-treatment with baking soda, as Hairprint instructs (https://myhairprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220692367-Single-Kit-Portion-Application) for the pH of the treatment to "soften and open up the cuticle" is going to be further damaging but that's what supposedly would help color stick. I'd check the pH with pH testing strips, just in case.

Lisa-K
February 8th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Well, it looks like a semi-permanent dye might not work that great to cover grays. Here's what someone on the dye forum said:

Grey hair is normally more difficult to cover unfortunately. But that doesn't mean you have give up on the idea of adore. But you will need to presoften your hair with some peroxide. It's minimally damaging, much less damaging than using an oxidative dye, but it will help the dye stick a lot better.

Yikes. Here we go again with the peroxide. I mean, in that case I might as well use Hairprint.

I think I've now finally figured out how I'm going to tackle this. I'm going to give Adore semi-permanent dye a shot (minus the peroxide). It's cheap and easy enough. If the color doesn't stick on my virgin roots, or that I'm just not happy with the result, then I'll splurge and try Hairprint. Hopefully, at least one of the two will make me happy. If Adore works well, then great; it will save me a ton of money on the long run. We'll see!

Thanks so much everyone for your insight. I really appreciate all the feedback!

Obsidian
February 8th, 2017, 09:24 AM
I know that with the fun colors, the longer you leave it on the better it stains. If the adore doesn't stick well to your greys, maybe try leaving it on for a couple hours.

Laccaria
February 8th, 2017, 11:56 AM
I've only tried the regular adore in bright colors. It didn't seem to do much to my virgin medium brown hair. I don't have many greys, so I can't really comment on that. But, I believe the adore plus specifically mentions on the label that it's good for covering grey. Seems like it would be worth giving that one a shot. Good luck!

I do hope you report back! Especially if you try the Hairprint. It's such a crazy sounding product. It would be interesting to hear more about it. :)

lapushka
February 8th, 2017, 12:36 PM
The Indola I used came with a developer, so I'm guessing it was a demi (it was so long ago, sorry for my memory). Those should cover grays, though, no?

Aphra
February 8th, 2017, 05:43 PM
I've not used adore, but I find manic panic reds and directions blue (both deposit only semis, no swelling and opening the hair shaft, no developer) both stick much better to my greys than my browns. The browns wash out to brown, or slightly tinted brown within a week or two, whereas the greys pick the colour up better and fade more slowly. It may depend on hair type and porosity.

Prose
August 14th, 2018, 09:46 AM
I came here to look up Hairprint reviews, but mostly found this thread. I have been using Hairprint for maybe the last 12-14 months. I don't think the ingredients (for the Dark version at least) are very harmful. There is zero toxic scent. However, it does contain hydrogen peroxide, and I've been wondering if this has been what's making my hair more brittle and dry.

I had used henna for 8 years or so, had shiny BSL hair, but got tired of the henna on my 10% greys once Jamila from Yemen ceased to be available..the color was never the same for me from other hennas. Stripped it with peroxide, had severe damage, christmas tree ends, splits on top of splits, and eventually (3 years later) have grown and cut most of it out. Now I'm between APL and BSL.

The Hairprint does match my natural color (dark for the first 7-10 days, or 2 washings), then settles and is a perfect match to my dark-brown/almost black roots. Then it starts to lighten over time, leaving me with a medium-darker brown length (I only do the roots). I like that, but I think it's the peroxide that makes it lighten over time. My hair consistently feels a bit dry, so I can't tell if this is from the peroxide in it. My hair is Fine/Medium Fine. 3a or 3b, and doesn't take well to chemicals at all.

I have been using heat religiously for the last 15 years or so, but committed to stop last week, and hopefully can tell if this is causing the dry/brittleness.

I can post more updates as I stop with damaging habits to let others know if the Hairprint is the culprit or not.

A word of warning: if you have damaged ends do not let this sit, just pass it through quickly on the second round and keep it on for 2-3 min. I looked like Professor Snape the first time around for a couple of weeks; my dead length soaked up the dye really dark.

I hope this is helpful to some, and I can post as a separate longer review in the future (I don't know if I have picture posting privileges yet).

lapushka
August 14th, 2018, 10:39 AM
I have been using heat religiously for the last 15 years or so, but committed to stop last week, and hopefully can tell if this is causing the dry/brittleness.

I can post more updates as I stop with damaging habits to let others know if the Hairprint is the culprit or not.

A word of warning: if you have damaged ends do not let this sit, just pass it through quickly on the second round and keep it on for 2-3 min. I looked like Professor Snape the first time around for a couple of weeks; my dead length soaked up the dye really dark.

I hope this is helpful to some, and I can post as a separate longer review in the future (I don't know if I have picture posting privileges yet).

It can take a lot longer to feel that difference after you stop heat. The hair you have after all is damaged from heat (that will stay), only the new growth that hasn't seen heat yet will be "new" and normal texture. But who knows, you might see some subtle differences.

Prose
August 14th, 2018, 02:35 PM
It can take a lot longer to feel that difference after you stop heat. The hair you have after all is damaged from heat (that will stay), only the new growth that hasn't seen heat yet will be "new" and normal texture. But who knows, you might see some subtle differences.

Agreed. I should know within 6-12 months how the new growth is taking to the product.

MsPharaohMoan
August 14th, 2018, 08:31 PM
In terms of the lightening you're experiencing over time, of course it's the peroxide.