PDA

View Full Version : Pulling out hair when oiling

Obsidian
February 3rd, 2017, 07:27 PM
I've finally figured out how to properly pre poo oil my hair but I have one issue. When I apply the oil to my hair, it seems to create drag and I pull quite a lot of hairs out. My hair is thick and dry so it takes me a few minutes to really get the oils distributed. Any tips to help reduce the amount pulled out?

spidermom
February 3rd, 2017, 07:53 PM
brush well before oiling?

lithostoic
February 3rd, 2017, 07:59 PM
Small sections!

Obsidian
February 3rd, 2017, 08:02 PM
I do generally brush beforehand, though I didn't tonight since it wasn't tangled.

What are these sections you speak of? lol. I've never sectioned it for oiling, I just smear it all over at once. I'll try sections next time, see if it helps.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 3rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't worry, those hairs would be due to fall out anyway, wouldn't they? Otherwise they would be being very painfully dragged our by the roots and that isn't what's happening.
Yes, try detangling and brushing first to get those loosies out.

Obsidian
February 3rd, 2017, 08:09 PM
It doesn't hurt when they come out so I suppose they would have fallen anyways. Its just a bit unnerving to see so many strands wrapped around my fingers, same thing happens when I detangle with fingers.

lithostoic
February 3rd, 2017, 08:11 PM
Def section it. Since you're ii (like me!) I'd suggest sectioning at the temples, and split the remaining bottom section into left and right.

Garnetgem
February 3rd, 2017, 09:23 PM
Section and use a small claw clip to hold sections apart so you can concentrate on where you want to oil..as for strands coming away there is a chance they were about to anyway..to check,if the bulb is large they were pulled out if bulb appears flat then they would have come away as root bulb shrinks before falling.

meteor
February 4th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't worry, those hairs would be due to fall out anyway, wouldn't they? Otherwise they would be being very painfully dragged our by the roots and that isn't what's happening.
Yes, try detangling and brushing first to get those loosies out.

It doesn't hurt when they come out so I suppose they would have fallen anyways. Its just a bit unnerving to see so many strands wrapped around my fingers, same thing happens when I detangle with fingers.

I'd really like to think so, but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that the fact that it doesn't hurt automatically means that the hairs aren't being "dragged out". Oils are used in massages specifically to lubricate enough to create the kind of slip that will reduce the pain on skin from the same "dragging" action. I think it might be easier to pull out hairs without even noticing or feeling the pain when the hair is wet or oiled. I really don't know though, and I haven't counted the hairs that come out right after oiling plus a few days later vs. hairs that come out during the same period of time without oiling...

As for the original question, I find that if I warm up the oil(s) quite a bit (in a double boiler), they get a lot runnier and therefore easier to apply without as much manipulation. I use only hands for application, but rubbing a brush on oiled palms and then brushing with that brush might provide some even distribution, too. And if you are oiling as a pre-poo method, I'd just slather it on without worrying to much about perfect application, since it gets washed out anyway and there is no worry about the oil showing after applying it in a slightly patchy manner (as opposed to, say, LOC or other routines with post-wash oiling).

spidermom
February 4th, 2017, 01:27 PM
I usually just divide into 2 sections, 1 section over each shoulder, then distribute coconut oil over palms, grab a section in each hand at neck level, and drag my palms down the section. I follow with combing to get the oil distributed. I lose a few hairs but not an alarming amount. I repeat if I want more oil. Usually one application feels like enough.

Obsidian
February 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Next time I oil, I'll try to save the hairs to count. If I had to guess, I'd say I had 30-40 come out while oiling last night. Normally, I shed around 20-30 a day. I don't have any increase in shedding once oiled or in the following days.
I pour about 1/4 tsp in my palms, rub them together and scrunch the oil into the ends then run my oiled finger through my hair to distribute better. The back is especially difficult to get evenly oiled and I'll often spend extra time working it in. I did end up separating the back out last night so I could get a even distribution. I don't soak my hair with oil but I want it to look slightly oily all over.

spidermom
February 4th, 2017, 02:08 PM
I discovered a long time ago that I drag out more hairs with my fingers than with my comb. Its teeth are much smoother than my fingers! Even if they're hairs that were in the process of shedding out anyway, I didn't like seeing my fingers covered with hair so I ceased finger-combing completely.

Obsidian
February 4th, 2017, 03:31 PM
I don't finger comb for the same reason, my wide tooth comb is much gentler. Maybe I will try a spray bottle for my oils, might be a way to cover my hair easier. I only oil a couple time a month so in the greater scheme of things, the hair I do pull out isn't terrible.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 4th, 2017, 11:49 PM
I just scrunch the oil in, I don't run through my hair to distribute it more. Scrunching and avoiding my roots is my game.

Mrstran
February 6th, 2017, 08:34 AM
I do the same thing when scalp and end oiling. I just figured maybe the oil has loosened up the hair that would have fallen very soon during the next comb anyway. I have noticed that after oiling I barely bush out any hair at all.