PDA

View Full Version : What has helped you with growth?

griffindoor
February 2nd, 2017, 09:44 AM
Everyone here seems to wash their hair pretty infrequently, does that lead to greater hair growth? I've also heard that a high-protein diet really helps.

Are these two things true? What are other things that help your hair grow? I've using a head massager on my scalp, trying to wash my hair less, and have been eating more protein.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2017, 10:48 AM
No, the amount of times you wash your hair has nothing to do with growth. You wash when you feel you need to (mostly when it gets oily).

Protein is *always* good, but don't exaggerate one thing to neglect another; a well-balanced diet is usually just fine!

The thing that helps most is this: patience. ;)

hayheadsbird
February 2nd, 2017, 10:55 AM
The thing that helps most is this: patience. ;)

This is what I was about to say, patience and genetics :)

Acid
February 2nd, 2017, 11:23 AM
Not growth promoting itself but things that helped keep my length healthy and not breaking off to be able to keep it long are:

- no heat whatsoever (except a hairdryer on the cool/cold setting in winter), this was hard to give up to be honest as i love big loose ringlets and waves like Littlestarface's hair has (her hair is perfection to me)
- keeping my hair up in a topknot at night and using a silk pillowcase so i dont get friction damage and snapping
-washing one to one and a half weeks -> it stops my scalp over producing sebum and my hair dries out easily with frequent washing plus my hair really likes the slow coconut and argan oil buildup during non wash days
- search and destroy method, i dont trim every 4 weeks like a lot of hairdressers recommend but i cut off individual splits once a month

Groovy Granny
February 2nd, 2017, 11:26 AM
This product was shared with me when I joined in 2013...and it works!! :rollin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ciMuVhDXA

Kidding aside :wink:

I just treated it well with good products and gentle styling/hair accessories; it was healthy to start.
My diet is pretty high in protein usually, but I made no other changes to it; I also drink lots of water.
I do use a BBB twice a day in Winter to combat dryness; can't say if the scalp brushing impacted my growth at all.
My scalp is massaged when I shampoo.

In all seriousness...PATIENCE was the biggest factor for me :cheer:

DarkChocolate
February 2nd, 2017, 11:29 AM
I have found water only on the scalp to help:) Since I have started water only, I feel like I lose less hair in the shower and that the growth has picked up from no growth to some.

lithostoic
February 2nd, 2017, 11:38 AM
When I stopped bleaching/dyeing it! I never knew my hair could grow so quickly. It had been stuck at the same length forever. Also I never liked how my hair looked past waist because of taper. But I wore my hair down every day and night, duh! Now I keep it braided at night and probably 5 days out of the week.

abribun
February 2nd, 2017, 11:43 AM
I thought my hair was always going to stay at my shoulders but over the last year it's travelling towards BSL! What I've noticed help the most is that I've completely cut out heat, wash my hair every 2 or 3 days instead of daily, I've changed my poor brushing habits, and I drink more water!
I'd say the thing that helps the most though is patience!

Cannelle
February 2nd, 2017, 12:03 PM
To my mind, eating a well-balanced diet and drinking lots of water as well as patience and your overall health including mental health are the most important factors that contribute to healthy hair growth. Anything besides that depends on your individual hair type and needs. For me personally, reducing breakage helped speed up my growth. A few years ago I was losing almost all of my growth to breakage. Wearing protective hairstyles, detangling gently and applying leave ins to protect the ends made a big difference.

cassidy_2711
February 2nd, 2017, 12:10 PM
Wear your hair in a braid!

lapis_lazuli
February 2nd, 2017, 12:40 PM
Wearing it up most of the time really helped me retain growth. :) Take care of yourself, eat a balanced diet, and hair will follow.

vampyyri
February 2nd, 2017, 01:59 PM
Wearing my hair up daily in a protective style, finger combing, multivitamins/good nutrition, lots of water...and (you guessed it) patience! :D

Sarahlabyrinth
February 2nd, 2017, 02:35 PM
Wearing it up most of the time really helped me retain growth. :) Take care of yourself, eat a balanced diet, and hair will follow.

Wearing my hair up daily in a protective style, finger combing, multivitamins/good nutrition, lots of water...and (you guessed it) patience! :D

These suggestions work really well. Oh, and did anyone mention PATIENCE? :laugh:

Llama
February 2nd, 2017, 02:49 PM
I mean, your hair will grow whether you are patient about it or not. Lol.

alimc
February 2nd, 2017, 03:31 PM
These suggestions work really well. Oh, and did anyone mention PATIENCE? :laugh:

I mean, your hair will grow whether you are patient about it or not. Lol.

Patience.....with a sprinkling of time.....

But i'd also say water, protein, healthy living and gentle treatment (and NO cutting!)

And it 'seems' since ive reached shoulder length that things have sped up!! (Optical illusion i feel!!) :Star:

Adavidal
February 2nd, 2017, 05:02 PM
Fending off damage is a huge one for me. Since I stopped heat styling, I can actually grow my hair past shoulder length. When I was heat styling every day, my hair would get crazy and frizzy and tangly as soon as it got past my shoulder and I would get annoyed because if looked awful and I'd chop it all off again. Not using heat has helped me greatly. I also like to do scalp massages with aloe and lavender + peppermint essential oils. I don't know that it actually makes my hair grow faster since I only just started measuring, but when I go it really regularly I feel like I can see more growth, so if nothing else- that's encouraging.

PixieP
February 2nd, 2017, 05:28 PM
Patience.....with a sprinkling of time.....

But i'd also say water, protein, healthy living and gentle treatment (and NO cutting!)

And it 'seems' since ive reached shoulder length that things have sped up!! (Optical illusion i feel!!) :Star:

The no cutting isn't always true. I had technically reached hip last spring, but I cut back to waist. Because my ends were so damaged, they were 1/3 of the thickness of the rest of my hair and the splits traveled upward. Now I'm aaaalmost at hip again but my hair both looks and feels longer now because my hair is almost equally full the whole way.

It depends on what you want most; long hair or healthy hair. I could have continued growing and probably almost be at TBL now. But I don't think my hair would look nice or be healthy.

Mrstran
February 2nd, 2017, 06:55 PM
I noticed a dramatic increase when I started eating healthy and drinking water. (which I never ever use to do)
I also was taking a multi vitamin and doing scalp massages with oil.

Through December and most of January I stopped doing these things and my hair growth slowed SO much. However, I cannot say if it was because I stopped everything I was doing or if it is just a winter stall.

This month I've started taking the multi, eating healthy, drinking a ton of water n' such again. I'm going to stick with it, so we'll see if this is really a winter stall or not.

Then again, it could be both!

Alissalocks
February 3rd, 2017, 12:09 AM
Braiding at night, to avoid tangles that cause breakage every morning. Not leaning on it, or putting pressure on the hair, ever. Oiling regularly. Deep Conditioning regularly. CWCs but less often, usually 2-3 weekly.

None of these promote growth so much as prevent breakage so growth isn't lost, since patience is required. :meditate: Happy growing!

MoonRabbit
February 3rd, 2017, 12:58 AM
I've been eating a lot of salmon and avocados for the past few months and my hair has been growing much faster. Maybe the connection is all in my head and I'm just having a miracle growth spurt, either way it is still a healthy addition to my diet. A good diet is so important for healthy hair. I've always been the type of person to only eat once a day but now I juice for the meals I've been missing and my hair is thanking me for it.

Dark40
February 4th, 2017, 09:05 PM
The inversion method and keeping it moisturized helps me with growth.

griffindoor
February 5th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Does the inversion method really work? I do yoga so maybe that will help because I do a few inverted poses.

griffindoor
February 5th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Does the inversion method really work? I do yoga so maybe that will help because I do a few inverted poses.

Lisa-K
February 5th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Honestly, nothing. My hair grows steadily; I can't complain. I've just never noticed a boost of any kind after using certain products or methods. I have heard that prenatal vitamins tend to really help in that department. I personally never noticed any difference while taking them, but many women say they have.

Edit to specify that I'm talking about growth at the root. Not retaining growth at the ends by avoiding damage and breakage.

Mimha
February 5th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Come here and share hair concerns is also a nice way to enjoy the journey ! :wink:

Mrstran
February 6th, 2017, 11:04 AM

I forgot to mention that in my last post on the page before this. Like Dark40, I was also doing inversion in the months that I took the multi, ate healthy, and did massages. When I stopped doing the healthy stuff and massages, I also stopped inversion.

Recently I started everything up again.

Platzhalter
February 25th, 2017, 05:08 AM
Well... it's actually quite simple. Making sure to get all the nutrients I need, not messing with what's already there and patience/not getting stressed over growth or lack of it ;)

pandabarrier
February 25th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Getting enough sleep and healthy food.

embee
February 25th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Patience is one sure method.

Benign neglect worked for me. Every day I simply combed my hair and put it up. Did not do any special treatments or routines, did not measure, did not study how long it looked in the mirror, did not worry about it - I was too busy trying to earn a living!

And then one day.... :) I found I could sit on the very ends of my hair!

Tosca
February 25th, 2017, 07:21 PM
I have seen a few people mention that starting to wear head/hair coverings (hijab, tichel etc) helped them grow their hair longer/faster than before they wore it, presumably because the fabric protected their ends, thus avoiding breakage and damage at the ends.

Lauraes
February 25th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Consciously making an effort to take care of my hair (more specifically, doing what my hair wants, as opposed to what I want) is what has made the biggest difference for me.

ArtOfNoot
September 2nd, 2020, 12:40 AM
I know it is controversial to say this but I swear my hair grows faster when I consistently take biotin supplements.
Also S&Ding saves lives :heartbeat

Bat
September 2nd, 2020, 12:42 AM
Castor oil helps me grow I swear it does.
Silica liquid helps grow more hair where there hadn't been before sadly it's growing in one lock of curl!

purple_omelette
September 2nd, 2020, 05:50 PM
Putting it up and forgetting about it 😊

Jane99
September 2nd, 2020, 08:27 PM
Last summer 2019 when I started frantically problem solving, why are all my ends breaking off by the hundreds when I brush!? And I stopped using heat to dry daily and bought a comb and put my brush to the side. Breakage stopped. I started gaining length.
I think keeping my hair up, pre-poo oil, the tangle teezer, good hair scissors for S&D and microtrims are all definitely helping retain length. I used to hear my hair snap on the lengths from breakage with the comb in tangles but no more with the TT.
Henna, washing less (I had been a daily washer and now just scalp rinse for two days after washing) I believe are helping with overall hair condition.
Herbal shampoo is not so harsh so it leaves some of the hair oils behind, helping them stay SO SOFT! And more lubricated/protected. So I think this helps too. For me.
Only a few minor changes in the past 9 months- a year! I swear there are fewer splits too. I think keeping it up is helping the most with that.

illicitlizard
September 3rd, 2020, 05:21 AM
Just like, not focusing on it works pretty well ​(A watched pot never boils). Basic nutrition + don't be insanely rough + wait. All things I learned from the LHC!

Finda
September 3rd, 2020, 09:20 AM
Protection, protection, protection ;)

Feral_
September 3rd, 2020, 01:34 PM
Plaiting and updos.

Philodendron
September 3rd, 2020, 03:02 PM
I remember what worked back then when I had long hair which is convenient :D because I'm gorwing it long again. The things were...
1.Don't focus on the hair too much. Wear it up and forget about it for a while.
2.However, don't forget to deep condition every once in a while.
3.Trim your ends when they need a trim. Not when someone tells you to do so.
4.Switch between protein and moisture treatments.
5.Be patient.

sipnsun
September 3rd, 2020, 06:19 PM
Not so much to help grow, but the thing that has kept my hair from breaking off therefore gaining length is weekly moisturizing deep conditioning treatments. My monthly measurements were staying the same but knew it was growing because my roots were getting longer. I quit highlighting and started experimenting with different treatments and oils. Snowy's moisture treatment has been the winner, my hair doesn't care for too much protein but can't seem to get enough moisture! I limit protein treatments to once per month followed by a hair mask or it gets crunchy. It's taken me years to find the right balance, hopefully I won't lose all my progress when I start my annual shed which is due anytime.

Dark40
September 4th, 2020, 05:10 PM
What has helped my hair grow is keeping my hair and scalp clean 3 times a week, and keeping it well-moisturized with any of my favorite essential oils. Deep conditioning twice a week, eating a high protein diet, doing the inversion method, and taking hair vitamin supplements.