PDA

View Full Version : Bleached hair breaking off, grow it out or cut?

shoosie
February 2nd, 2017, 06:26 AM
Hello, new to the forum here. :)

I just bleached my hair 2 months ago to go ash brown, but my hair condition was so terrible and it faded to gold hence i dyed it back to black and cut away 2 inches (with my hair being thinned out as well - big regret though) from BSL to APL as I didn't want to cut it too short.

At APL currently, it's still damaged and the ends and breaking off (about 20 strands approx daily). My ideal length is BSL (about 2 inches away) and I'm intending to not colour it for the whole of 2017. Just want to nurse it back to health before i do anymore damage to it.

I intend to trim half an inch every 2 months and slowly get rid of the damage and achieve BSL by the end of 2017. But i'm afraid the damage will go up the shaft and cause more breakage. Does it look bad in the picture? My hair has a blunt cut and despite the breakage, it's not thinning at the ends though, it's just that the outer layer has lots of shorter strands and flyaways.

Should i go ahead and trim half an inch every 2 months? I'm really reluctant to go for a big chop and start all the way from the shoulders and grow it out. I don't like short hair.

Thanks a lot! I am so glad to chance upon LHC :)

https://s24.postimg.org/fw2z5ejgx/IMG_1529.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/fw2z5ejgx/)

https://s23.postimg.org/xulsjjfjr/IMG_1511.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/xulsjjfjr/)

lapushka
February 2nd, 2017, 07:00 AM
I intend to trim half an inch every 2 months and slowly get rid of the damage and achieve BSL by the end of 2017. But i'm afraid the damage will go up the shaft and cause more breakage. Does it look bad in the picture? My hair has a blunt cut and despite the breakage, it's not thinning at the ends though, it's just that the outer layer has lots of shorter strands and flyaways.

That sounds to me like a *very* good plan! You can join the microtrimming thread for this; and I'm sure you already know about Feye's self-trimming method?

It looks great. 20 hairs in breakage is nothing compared to all the hairs that are on your head, and if you trim half an inch every 2 months (so half your growth off), it will be just fine. It won't end the breakage, but it will lessen it over time until all the damage is gone.

What's your natural color?

Oh, and welcome to LHC, if I hadn't said that already. :) :flower:

shoosie
February 2nd, 2017, 07:17 AM
That sounds to me like a *very* good plan! You can join the microtrimming thread for this; and I'm sure you already know about Feye's self-trimming method?

It looks great. 20 hairs in breakage is nothing compared to all the hairs that are on your head, and if you trim half an inch every 2 months (so half your growth off), it will be just fine. It won't end the breakage, but it will lessen it over time until all the damage is gone.

What's your natural color?

Oh, and welcome to LHC, if I hadn't said that already. :) :flower:

Natural colour is black. Going back to my roots colour haha. Oh I'll check out the thread :) thank you so much!! Keeping my fingers crossed that the breakage will improve because my hair is really damaged now!!

lapushka
February 2nd, 2017, 07:46 AM
Natural colour is black. Going back to my roots colour haha. Oh I'll check out the thread :) thank you so much!! Keeping my fingers crossed that the breakage will improve because my hair is really damaged now!!

Oh great, so you can let it grow out now, should that be what you want (always a good idea to stick to your own color).

I went through it all, bleach damage, even a chemical cut & burn; I know that your plan is a good plan!

Acid
February 2nd, 2017, 10:00 AM
for keeping the bleach damage from escalating have a go with Aphogee keratin reconstructor and some argan/coconut oil based moisturising conditioners, you can also try out using pure oils in your hair to seal in the moisture between washes. Its not a guaranteed for all method but it works pretty nicely for me

*edit* If you find the black dye fading from normal washes like the ash brown did, Adore make a range of natural hair coloured dyes that are 100% non damaging (theyre like extremely pigmented conditioners) including black so you wont have to redamage your ends every time you want to top up the colour :)

shoosie
February 2nd, 2017, 04:54 PM
for keeping the bleach damage from escalating have a go with Aphogee keratin reconstructor and some argan/coconut oil based moisturising conditioners, you can also try out using pure oils in your hair to seal in the moisture between washes. Its not a guaranteed for all method but it works pretty nicely for me

*edit* If you find the black dye fading from normal washes like the ash brown did, Adore make a range of natural hair coloured dyes that are 100% non damaging (theyre like extremely pigmented conditioners) including black so you wont have to redamage your ends every time you want to top up the colour :)

Ah okay thanks a lot :)

Adavidal
February 2nd, 2017, 05:05 PM
I usually go the "chop it all off" route myself, but if you can't stand stand short (although shoulder isn't really that short imho), I think you've answered your own question. Just stick with the microtrims and best of luck growing your hair out!!!