PDA

View Full Version : How to get 'weight' to hair

Wavykate
February 2nd, 2017, 03:14 AM
hi guys!

My hair is nearly BSL and wavy. It's fairly fine but have lots of it, however sometimes i struggle to make my hair appear weighty. It sometimes seems to fly all over the place, defy gravity, and easily ends up lank and greasy if I'm too heavy handed with the oils.

Is is weight something that comes with length or quality? I'm avoiding heat and using protective styles at night and my hair has never been in such good condition, I just wish I could take a bun out as have it drop down rather than fly all over the place and stick up in weird places!

Anyone have any tips?

Simsy
February 2nd, 2017, 04:33 AM
Hello...:waving:

What's your routine as that will affect suggestions?

Sounds similar to my hair when it's clean. In my experience, hair floats when it's clean, well moisturised and happy. It frizzs when it's dry, cranky or just having an off day. Length will help with the weight, to a point. Also, not everyone can do bun drops (I can't, even with my length. It just sits there; or slowly unfolds from the bun like it's rewinding the updo)

As a starting point, my hair tends to float around for the first day or so after being washed. A couple of days is enough to get it to settle down. If that's not an option, a very light hold gel or light oil should give the top layer a bit of weight which will help control everything else. You won't need much of either product as they do tend to go a long way. Good luck and I look forward to any other suggestions that come.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2017, 06:22 AM
hi guys!

My hair is nearly BSL and wavy. It's fairly fine but have lots of it, however sometimes i struggle to make my hair appear weighty. It sometimes seems to fly all over the place, defy gravity, and easily ends up lank and greasy if I'm too heavy handed with the oils.

Is is weight something that comes with length or quality? I'm avoiding heat and using protective styles at night and my hair has never been in such good condition, I just wish I could take a bun out as have it drop down rather than fly all over the place and stick up in weird places!

Anyone have any tips?

Same here, wavy, and fine but lots of it. Try a thicker conditioner, one for dry damaged hair for instance (provided that's not too much weight). Conditioners come in "classes", volumizing conditioners are typically "light" ones, and then there's the ones for dry damaged hair. I never get shampoo/conditioner sets because I have oily hair, and drier lengths. So...

Maybe try that!

You can also use the LOC method for styling after washing & conditioning. (link is in my signature)

Wavykate
February 2nd, 2017, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the helpful replies

My current routine is wash 2-3 times a week
Liz Earle shampoo and conditioner (I have boxes full of trial and error shampoos and conditioners and these are the best I've ever used) they have a conditioner for drier hair, maybe I should try that out.

Styling, i use some kind of oil on soaking wet hair, sometimes a silicone serum, then a teeny tiny bit of styling cream. Any more and I end up with lank hair that needs washing again, products tend to sit on my hair!

Then air dry most of the time. I also use various oils on my scalp and hair before showering. My hair is not processed or dyed.

I have trial and errored many different processes and I am generally happy with my hair, and it's growing! this is my next hurdle!!

samanthaa
February 2nd, 2017, 10:26 AM
My hair's still pretty floaty and it's hip+. I have fine hair and not a lot of it.

Ophidian
February 2nd, 2017, 10:37 AM
I tend to (very) lightly oil wet hair and then damp braid. I'm a little less wavy than you I think, but I definitely get the floaty-ness after a wash and this helps it smooth down.

ReadingRenee
February 2nd, 2017, 10:38 AM
I have the same issue. My hair is very floaty. Its worse when its shorter though. My hair is also nearly BSL. I find it to be the worst on day 1 of wash day. It calms down a little by day 2 and by day 3 its great! Of course then its starting to look oily. I have discovered the one thing that gives my hair weight is to blow dry it straight. I love how it feels when I do that, but since its damaging on a regular basis I only do it every once in a very great while.

Also, a product that helps smooth it down a little bit that has been helpful for me is Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I don't use a lot, and your mileage may vary, some fine wavy's don't like it at all.

cassidy_2711
February 2nd, 2017, 12:13 PM
If your hair isn't cut in a blunt cut at the bottom, I would do that. It definitely did help with my hair. If blunt cut isn't your style then put oil on the ends of your hair when it is wet and braid it overnight.

Wavykate
February 2nd, 2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone, I do also find a braid helps a bit, but I never thought to maybe dampen it down slightly and add a touch of oil first, I will try that!

Glad it's not just me!!

littlestarface
February 2nd, 2017, 01:44 PM
Same I have floaty hair no matter what I do and I use alot of conditioners heavy ones too and nope still a floaty wavy mess.

spidermom
February 2nd, 2017, 03:30 PM
Mine is floaty, too. Products help, but it's so easy to over-do it! One of these days, I'll get it figured out. (or not)

NimbleNut
February 2nd, 2017, 05:36 PM
Have you tried condition only washes? I just tried this for the first time a few days ago. It was a bit of a struggle for me to wrap my brain around because it went against everything I've always done in the past and I figured I'd just end up a grease ball (can't be clean if you don't use shampoo!). To my surprise, it worked beautifully. All of my little fly aways layed down and behaved and my hair in general just seemed to lay nicer. It feels more weighty (almost thicker but not quite). I'm not sure that I'll give up shampoo entirely but it's definitely given me something to consider. I think your a little more wavy/curly than I am so it's possible this is a terrible suggestion! If that's the case then just ignore and carry on!

Kimberly
February 3rd, 2017, 01:44 PM
One day a friend said something to me like, "How is your hair floating like that with no breeze? It's almost supernatural and makes you look like a goddess." So the next time I was walking along beside a reflective building, I paid attention, trying to see it how she had. Now I see my floaty hair as an asset, and avoid products that might weigh it down. :-)

I think floaty hair is beautiful, even if it isn't currently the fashion.

TheGoddess
February 3rd, 2017, 03:45 PM
Crimping Iron, and then brush it out...makes it look so thick and volumized..its amazing

lapushka
February 3rd, 2017, 04:28 PM
Crimping Iron, and then brush it out...makes it look so thick and volumized..its amazing

Yes, but that's putting high heat on the hair... for no reason, IMMHO.

I also don't see how crimping the hair would give it weight. I crimped the heck out of my hair in my teens and it was far from *flat*. :lol:

spidermom
February 3rd, 2017, 05:04 PM
One day a friend said something to me like, "How is your hair floating like that with no breeze? It's almost supernatural and makes you look like a goddess." So the next time I was walking along beside a reflective building, I paid attention, trying to see it how she had. Now I see my floaty hair as an asset, and avoid products that might weigh it down. :-)

I think floaty hair is beautiful, even if it isn't currently the fashion.

My husband once told me that when the light hit my head a certain way, all those little fly-aways lit up like a halo and reminded him what an angel I am. haha! That did help me take a less negative view of my crazy, floaty hair.

Saldana
February 3rd, 2017, 05:48 PM
Do you BBB? (boar bristle brush) I've found that when I brush consistently, my hair tends to get heavy or weighty feeling with the way it feels and moves, especially a couple days post-wash.

TheGoddess
February 3rd, 2017, 06:22 PM
Yes, but that's putting high heat on the hair... for no reason, IMMHO.

I also don't see how crimping the hair would give it weight. I crimped the heck out of my hair in my teens and it was far from *flat*. :lol:

When I crimp my hair it gets like twice as thick because the individual strands are all wavy which gives the hair a weighted appearance (especially if the crimps are small). Also, I use a crimping iron but you can crimp your hair without heat by doing a bunch of braids.

lapushka
February 4th, 2017, 04:39 AM
When I crimp my hair it gets like twice as thick because the individual strands are all wavy which gives the hair a weighted appearance (especially if the crimps are small). Also, I use a crimping iron but you can crimp your hair without heat by doing a bunch of braids.

Oh I see. Thanks for explaining. I did my full head when I was younger.