PDA

View Full Version : Trim Suggestions

Kae612
February 1st, 2017, 07:03 PM
So I haven't had a trim since I got my hair cut two years ago (and I've gone to the same hairdresser since I was 12....). I'm enjoying the length rn and I don't want to cut it much, but I do have some split ends. Over the summer I bought some hair scissors for Search & Destroy, but I am not good at it at all. I don't have very good lighting in my house, and I see splits often when I'm outside or on the bus, and then I never find them again.

So, there's a "barbers for cancer research" event at my school coming up, where you don't have to donate hair, but trims are $6 and an additional monetary donation of your choosing. It's a good organization (directly going to research, not like the ~for the cause/cure~ stuff that's more iffy), so I will probably drop by to give money anyway. But I am thinking about possibly getting a trim.

In addition to some breakage/splits, I am growing out layers from that haircut 2 years ago, and while I don't mind the fairytale/tapered ends I'm getting, I think the full hemlines look awesome and I wouldn't mind levelling things out a little bit. Not all of them off, because that would be quite a bit of length, probably 4 inches or so.

My question is, is this event something you would trust with your hair? it says "professional barbers" but there isn't any more information given than that. I wouldn't ask for anything complicated, obviously, just a straight across trim.

Also, is a trim that's an inch or less likely worthwhile? Or should it be at least 2 inches, especially considering the layers?

(If any of these questions are dumb and unanswerable let me know ;))

Dark40
February 1st, 2017, 07:15 PM
I would suggest getting a little trimmed off like 1cm once a month. If you're trying to get rid of damage and split ends. Especially, if you want to still keep the length.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2017, 05:56 AM
I would skip this! They will probably take more than an inch, if not all your length (because it is about donating, right). Just donate money, and leave it at that.

And join the microtrimming thread on here, and learn to trim your own hair. Feye's method is awesome and is practiced by many.

Kae612
February 2nd, 2017, 07:00 AM
I would skip this! They will probably take more than an inch, if not all your length (because it is about donating, right). Just donate money, and leave it at that.

And join the microtrimming thread on here, and learn to trim your own hair. Feye's method is awesome and is practiced by many.

It's not about donating hair, it's a fundraiser just for money donations. Also no hair donation company would/should take my hair at the moment because it's dyed purple.... But yeah, that was my concern, that they wouldn't be attentive to how little of a trim I want. :(

Hm, microtrimming sounds useful, but I'm afraid that because I'm so bad at S & D it wouldn't work. I've seen "self trim" videos and gosh they look really hard and I didn't think I could do it. I'll look more into the threads though, thank you!

Carolyn
February 2nd, 2017, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't risk it. I would make a donation and call it good. If you trust your current stylist keep going to her.

pili
February 2nd, 2017, 08:32 AM
I actually think it might be OK. Barbers tend to listen better than stylists. I don't trust stylists at all. Have you thought of self trimming?

emptyque
February 2nd, 2017, 09:50 AM
Once I got a free trim from a student stylist, and she was actually so afraid of messing up that she hardly cut off anything at all. What I mean is, a lot of people have the fear of the stylist cutting too much off, but that often isn't the case.

Your hair in your avatar is beautiful. Good luck getting out the damage.

Kae612
February 5th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Once I got a free trim from a student stylist, and she was actually so afraid of messing up that she hardly cut off anything at all. What I mean is, a lot of people have the fear of the stylist cutting too much off, but that often isn't the case.

Your hair in your avatar is beautiful. Good luck getting out the damage.

Thank you! :)

I tried S & D again tonight, I only really found about 8 splits/fairy knots. I know I'm missing a lot! But I do know that it's still a lot better than it was in the summer, because I used to see tons of splits. I think a lot of the damage is, well, done. I can't see my hair above about APL and I know a lot of damaged hair is on my right side just above shoulder. So I can't see to trim those, and they're just going to have to grow out eventually, or continue to break and just stick around. A trim won't help that, and maybe my ends are not as bad as I thought.

I have had both experiences really, I think it's mostly about firm communication and making sure they listen and that you are clear. I've seen the same hairstylist over the course of many many years, and when I had quite long hair and went to her for a trim, she did ask me to show her on my hair what I wanted, rather than saying "blah blah cm/inches" which I thought was a really good practice. BUT she convinced me to cut off about 4-5 inches because they were "dead ends" (I don't think that's a real thing, all hair is dead). I wasn't firm enough about what I wanted, so she redirected me, even though I think we had good communication.

I'm going to play it by ear tomorrow. It would be nice to get a very small trim, and I don't see myself getting to the hairstylist any time soon. But if I walk around and lurk a while and it doesn't look like they're careful/listening, or I don't feel up to making strong, forceful eye contact and being clear and firm about what I want I won't risk it. It's better to not have a trim than to have a bad trim I think.

Thanks for weighing in everyone! <3

Kae612
February 8th, 2017, 06:05 PM

I ended up skipping it, haha. It might have been fine but it was set up in just a bad location where I would feel exposed and watched, so I didn't feel up to talking to them at all, even to give the donation I wanted to give. Oopsies. I'll get a trim another time. Maybe if I get some better scissors I'll try some of those microtrimming/self trimming methods. I've got them bookmarked. Thanks!