PDA

View Full Version : Thickening ends on individual strands

emptyque
January 30th, 2017, 10:13 AM
I read somewhere that when the end of a strand appears thick and blunt, as opposed to soft and tapered, it can be a precursor to a split end. I've noticed this on some of my shed hairs recently. Has anybody else experienced this? Do you microtrim them away?

pailin
January 30th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I probably wouldn't s&d them if there's no visible split. But if you're microtrimming, I assume you would be getting them.

parkmikii
January 30th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Or it can mean that they've been trimmed? Only new hair are tapered and pointy. Anything you cut with scissors gets blunt and straight (or so it should if the scissors are sharp).

Mimha
January 30th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I read somewhere that when the end of a strand appears thick and blunt, as opposed to soft and tapered, it can be a precursor to a split end. I've noticed this on some of my shed hairs recently. Has anybody else experienced this? Do you microtrim them away?

A hair strand that has a thick and blunt end has most probably been cut. So it doesn't sound really logical to trim it again. You could do that until the very root : anytime you cut, you get a blunt end. So as I see the things, it's better to treat your hair with care (gentle handling + whatever product you like to keep it moisturized and flexible) as a preventive behaviour, and cut off the splits when you see them. :)

ETA : Now if by "thick" you mean thicker than the normal diameter, I don't know. I have never found such a hair on my head.^^

lapushka
January 30th, 2017, 01:06 PM
A hair strand that has a thick and blunt end has most probably been cut. So it doesn't sound really logical to trim it again. You could do that until the very root : anytime you cut, you get a blunt end. So as I see the things, it's better to treat your hair with care (gentle handling + whatever product you like to keep it moisturized and flexible) as a preventive behaviour, and cut off the splits when you see them. :)

ETA : Now if by "thick" you mean thicker than the normal diameter, I don't know. I have never found such a hair on my head.^^

Very much this. You can never again get a tapered end once your hair has been cut even just once.

Totty
January 30th, 2017, 03:06 PM

Got those. S&d. Or microtrim. And I can feel and see the difference.

emptyque
February 2nd, 2017, 07:09 AM
Got those. S&d. Or microtrim. And I can feel and see the difference.

Oh good, it's nice to know I'm not crazy. :)

There aren't too many yet, so I think I'll leave them for now and keep on the lookout for splits. Thanks for your replies, everyone.