PDA

View Full Version : Growing out my pixie cut!

griffindoor
January 29th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Hello! I'm a new member here. I joined about a year ago with the intent of growing out my hair but I decided against it and kept my pixie cut. Now I would like to grow out my pixie to shoulder-length hair. Has anyone here had success doing that? I'm a young adult so I think my hair grows pretty fast. I don't really do anything to my hair besides wash and brush it (sometimes!).

How long did it take any of you to grow out your pixie cut? Any tips?

lapushka
January 29th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Maybe you could join the shorties thread. There's lots of support in there, and lots of people in there growing out pixies.

Welcome! :)

Groovy Granny
January 29th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Welcome ~ happy growing!
Enjoy the journey :)

lapis_lazuli
January 29th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Welcome! I don't have experience with this but, as Lapushka said, the shorties thread would be a good place to start :flower:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405

griffindoor
January 29th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out :)

omgitssarah
January 29th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Hi! It took me a super long time to break the cycle, but I did successfully grow out my pixie! The shorties thread is full of great info and style ideas to power through the awkward phases. Stay strong!!

Ophidian
January 29th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Welcome! I am growing out a pixie cut with no trims. The shortest pieces are now chin length so the worst is over. Super shorties is a great thread, definitely got me through more than a few bad hair days :silly::)

JadeTigress
January 29th, 2017, 06:45 PM
I've grown out a pixie twice. The second time went much quicker and smoother than the first. My best advice is to try to ignore your hair as much as possible. It will look weird, and it will look like a mullet, but you just have to power through. The more you trim to try to make it look less awkward, the longer it will look awkward, which is why my first grow out was as tough as it was. I was stuck in a 3 year grow out the first time because I just couldn't leave the scissors alone. For grow out #2, I did minimal trims and just tried to deal with it as best as I could (trying to hide bits with headbands and other accessories). Now, 3 years later, instead of still wrestling with the awkward phase, I just hit BSL.

FennFire911
January 29th, 2017, 06:55 PM
I have no pixie experience or advice, just wanted to say welcome! :)

SunRae
January 29th, 2017, 08:46 PM
I am growing out my second pixie. It is hard. Like someone said, ignore what it looks like if you can because there will be a time when you have a mullet. You will get through it! My shortest pieces are around my chin, and headbands and a tiny ponytail are my go-to right now. Good luck!

wo
January 30th, 2017, 07:01 AM
Hi! I'm joined for growing out a pixie. I got the neckline trimmed up a lot the first year until it was a bob, then I've grown it out without trimming for 18 months now, and I'm about two inches away from bra strap length. So... 2.5 years from one inch of hair, to well past armpit length. Could be quite faster if you don't trim as much as I did the first year. Also had several times that I asked for a neckline trim and was instead given a shorter style all over.

If I could redo it, I would have trimmed the neckline myself from day one, since that's what I ended up doing after a few big salon setbacks. Of course you could also grow it out without trimming from the beginning, but I knew I wanted a blunt hemline to start growing long. Good luck! It was rough and felt like I was getting nowhere for a loooong time, but once it's a little bob, it's so fast from there!

TatsuOni
January 30th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Welcome! :)

griffindoor
January 30th, 2017, 11:14 AM
I've grown out a pixie twice. The second time went much quicker and smoother than the first. My best advice is to try to ignore your hair as much as possible. It will look weird, and it will look like a mullet, but you just have to power through. The more you trim to try to make it look less awkward, the longer it will look awkward, which is why my first grow out was as tough as it was. I was stuck in a 3 year grow out the first time because I just couldn't leave the scissors alone. For grow out #2, I did minimal trims and just tried to deal with it as best as I could (trying to hide bits with headbands and other accessories). Now, 3 years later, instead of still wrestling with the awkward phase, I just hit BSL.

How long did it take to get your pixie to bob length? I think my hair grows pretty fast.

pili
January 30th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Just ignore it. Pins and clips are your friends and stay way from the scissors!

griffindoor
January 30th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Just ignore it. Pins and clips are your friends and stay way from the scissors!

Pins and clips? I haven't used those since I had long hair, haha. I hate to sound like an idiot, but what kind of stuff can you do with pins and clips when you have a pixie? Just pin the hair back and such?

*Wednesday*
February 5th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I'm new too. Welcome.

When I was 21 (1992), I cut my hair off, from MBL to pixie. I saw Halley Berry and thought what an adorable pixie cut. She warned me at the salon to not go that short. It was about an hour later I came home from the salon, I was in tears after my grandmother saw me and said, "What the F..." I never, ever on God's green earth would consider that again. It took year 1/2 or so roughly to get what you would call today a, "lob."

It takes time. Be patient. It's that mullet phase....don't cut it, pull through. Keep letting it grow. I experimented doing Finger Waves when it was short. While your hair is short, don't dye it. Now is the best time to keep it healthy.

Ophidian
February 5th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Pins and clips? I haven't used those since I had long hair, haha. I hate to sound like an idiot, but what kind of stuff can you do with pins and clips when you have a pixie? Just pin the hair back and such?

Yup, pretty much. Twist pieces back and pin them out of the way. It's a way to get all the shorter front pieces dealt with when you can do a pony stub but the bangs etc. keep falling out, or you can twist from your part to behind your ear on each side, adding hair a little at a time, and pin it back to keep it out of your face (I did this a lot), there are a ton of ideas if you go to YouTube and search for something like "growing out pixie styles." This might make more sense than my explainations :)

OhSuzi
February 5th, 2017, 03:45 PM
I'd say from a short pixie to a chin length bob about 6 - 8 months with minimal trimming / only doing the mullet. I've had a sort of bowl cut pixie with a floppy fringe, it was already in the right shape to grow into a bob, so it just happened naturally with just a mullet trim.
I'm growing out a pixie again, but this one was asymmetrical with buzz cut so it's growing out all different layers and as I've decided not to trim for as long as possible it's a mess! It's taken 6 months to get the mullet to shoulder length, the front to grow to chin length and there are a few shorter layers underneath at the side where it was buzzed. At some point in another month or so I'll finally get a chop and it'll set me back a bit but even it up.
I say 1 and half years for a long bob ( just beyond shoulder length).

Greenfire
February 9th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I've done it three times, and it was painful every time! The last time I did it, my saving grace was learning to do little twists like a crown braid, and braid it all around my head to pin it back! As the back got longer and longer, I only had to do the top and sides, then could put it into little pig tails (cuter than one tiny pony). Actually being able to do french braids as it gets longer, into each pony would hide the mullet for long enough too, but it wasn't until it was around shoulder length that I was comfortable wearing it down, and not looking very androgynous. (asked many times by little kids if I was a boy or a girl during those phases! don't let it get you down if that happens to you, I just started wearing mascara to leave the house even when I was otherwise natural at that point!)