PDA

View Full Version : Hubby & I are racing, his beard vs my head

Alissalocks
January 27th, 2017, 10:55 PM
:laugh: It's true! We came up with the challenge the other night while oiling our hair. I keep a bottle of oil by my bedside, and over the past few months, he's starting applying it to his beard, at my urging. Amazed with the results, and already a prolific facial hair grower, he playfully said he thought he could grow more beard hair than I could on my head.

So we thought, let's try it! Here's our rules... Challenge is from Feb 4 (his birthday) until July 4. Starting growth measurements will be taken then, his will be lower lip to longest strands, and mine is typical LHC measuring. We will then see who grows more length in that time, a race! We each can trim our bangs/mustache, but not the long layers.

Not sure if this has ever been tried before, and haven't researched growth rates. We both think his beard might not keep up with my average hair growth rate of ~.5" a month, but then again?

Just thought I'd share the fun with all of LHC :waltz: I'll come back and share our start stats as we begin.

Kirby-oh
January 27th, 2017, 11:05 PM
I want to put the answer in spoiler code in case you don't want to know before you test it, so I'll not say. But I do know from experience, though I wasn't measuring. Have fun!

Alissalocks
January 27th, 2017, 11:10 PM
I want to put the answer in spoiler code in case you don't want to know before you test it, so I'll not say. But I do know from experience, though I wasn't measuring. Have fun!
Haha! Well, I can imagine I'm gonna smoke him to the finish line, but it does help keep me motivated to maintain my no-trim pledge here on LHC until July. :run:

ephemeri
January 28th, 2017, 06:36 AM
This is a cute idea! I'm interested in hearing about the results. :o

vampyyri
January 28th, 2017, 06:59 AM
This is such an amazing idea :rollin: My DH is a fellow bearded man, and we could totally do this too. But I fear he's at terminal for his beard, it's been the same length for about a year now :hmm: or perhaps I'm just not seeing it :lol:

Mrstran
January 28th, 2017, 07:56 AM
What a great idea to race scalp and beard! I'd definitely like to see the results. My hubby cannot grow a beard, or facial hair as it is not in his genetics. However, since I started growing out my hair, he has decided to do the same. Like yours, my hubby also thinks his hair will grow faster than mine. ;)

Completely pointless to say, but I'll add. He wants hair like future Trunks from Dragon Ball Z. (Hair long Half tied back)
He did have the purple color at one point. I had to tell him though, if he keeps bleaching, he'll never have that hair style.
... I'm always explaining something to him.

EdG
January 28th, 2017, 09:31 AM
That's cool. :cool:

My beard and hair grow at the same rate (half an inch per month), but I have never very accurately measured my beard growth. :ponder:

ETA: Your husband may want to check out the Beard Community (http://beardcommunity.com/forum/). It is like LHC in a parallel universe. ;)
Ed

Kat-Rinnč Naido
January 28th, 2017, 10:26 AM
All the best to you both. Enjoy the challenge.

Mimha
January 28th, 2017, 10:49 AM
But well, you can't just say this... and don't show pics !!! Lol.
What about a starting picture of you both, with the tape measure or something ? Just suggesting... ^^^^^^
Sounds like a lovely challenge !!

Arctic
January 28th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I wonder how typical it is to have quite short terminal length of beards? Although I do assume most bearded gents (and ladies) tidy and shape their beards, so maybe we just rarely get to see the full length potential. I know one famous Finn who has long beard, Joulupukki, that is, the Finnish Santa Claus who lives in Finnish Lapland :laugh:

lapis_lazuli
January 28th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Love it!!! :D Keep us updated, I'm intrigued!

Hay_jules
January 28th, 2017, 12:31 PM
What a fun challenge for you guys. Can't wait to see how it goes.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 28th, 2017, 04:46 PM
I've personally always wondered if the rate of growth on say, body hair vs head hair is. I feel like my leg hair grows at the same rate as the hair on my head with just a shorter terminal length. So you guys might hit whatever measument you've picked at the same time. Haha.

cgirl
January 28th, 2017, 04:52 PM
:laugh: It's true! We came up with the challenge the other night while oiling our hair. I keep a bottle of oil by my bedside, and over the past few months, he's starting applying it to his beard, at my urging. Amazed with the results, and already a prolific facial hair grower, he playfully said he thought he could grow more beard hair than I could on my head.

So we thought, let's try it! Here's our rules... Challenge is from Feb 4 (his birthday) until July 4. Starting growth measurements will be taken then, his will be lower lip to longest strands, and mine is typical LHC measuring. We will then see who grows more length in that time, a race! We each can trim our bangs/mustache, but not the long layers.

Not sure if this has ever been tried before, and haven't researched growth rates. We both think his beard might not keep up with my average hair growth rate of ~.5" a month, but then again?

Just thought I'd share the fun with all of LHC :waltz: I'll come back and share our start stats as we begin.

I absolutely love this idea! The scientist in me is curious to see how your growth rates will vary over the seasons, especially since you both live in the same environment. :eye:

Wildcat Diva
January 28th, 2017, 05:47 PM
This is hilarious and fun!

Husband gets compliments on the epic beard a lot. He got one today while walking into Target, guy passes us and says "awww YEAH DUDE!!!" all fan boy like. I wasn't sure what he was talking about at first but then he gestured that it was the beard. All right. People also have passed by on the beach and hollered out about the beard when we were sitting at a low light campfire, so I'm not sure how they even saw it. Yep, the beard gets catcalls. Get ready.

Shepherdess
January 28th, 2017, 06:24 PM
This is so cute! haha! I can't wait to hear about how it turns out! :D

vampyyri
January 28th, 2017, 06:58 PM
I'm at 36.5" DH from lip is 18.5" (stretched) we shall see :p

Alissalocks
January 28th, 2017, 08:12 PM
I'm so happy to read the encouragement and responses! Thank you all so much for embracing the fun idea of the challenge too! I shared the feedback here with DH too, including your hubby's impressive length vampyyri ! That is quite the fan boy material! His is only a few inches as a starting length. But he has grown it longer in years past and then cut it back. We will see!

And yes we live in the same home, but honestly I think I eat better :p we both use the same oil on our hair, but I'm also using my beloved Hask products, and SMTs naturally on my hair. He probably eats more protein than I do, I'd generalize. Just a few ideas?

I'll take pics and share lengths when we formally begin next Saturday, y'all. I'm curious too!

Kirby-oh
January 28th, 2017, 10:11 PM
I'm at 36.5" DH from lip is 18.5" (stretched) we shall see :p

Very neat. I couldn't do it. I made it to 4 or 5 inches before I realized I didn't like it. Now that I have done some years with a short beard, I bet I could trim the sides in a way that I would like it long, but unfortunately the sides curl in a way that they have to stay very short to look at all reasonable.

Greenfire
January 29th, 2017, 06:07 PM
My husband would kick my ass with this one, he grows so fast. I finally made him shave it off but he'd still beat me with only a month's growth compared to my 4. My chin is all kinds of messed up from his beard, now that he shaves, it's starting to heal. Been 5 years married, and only 6 months without the beard but what a HUGE difference it makes to me not always having scratches and cuts on my chin!

For that matter, the hair on the man's head grows ridiculously fast too, wish mind would!

Groovy Granny
January 29th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Interesting :popcorn:

Todd
January 29th, 2017, 07:53 PM
I think my beard would be much too sparse to even try growing it long. Beards just don't run in my family!

MidnightMoon
January 30th, 2017, 01:16 AM
I have seen a picture of my maternal great grandfather and his beard reached his lap when sitting. He was part od the Orthodox clergy, in the photo he is sitting with his wife and children. Looks so noble. Maybe Ill get it some day and post it.

Kirby-oh
January 30th, 2017, 01:31 PM
My husband would kick my ass with this one, he grows so fast. I finally made him shave it off but he'd still beat me with only a month's growth compared to my 4. My chin is all kinds of messed up from his beard, now that he shaves, it's starting to heal. Been 5 years married, and only 6 months without the beard but what a HUGE difference it makes to me not always having scratches and cuts on my chin!

For that matter, the hair on the man's head grows ridiculously fast too, wish mind would!

Did he used to oil it? You can soften the beard up with some good oils. May or may not be enough.

Greenfire
January 31st, 2017, 09:20 PM
Did he used to oil it? You can soften the beard up with some good oils. May or may not be enough.

Not something he was willing to try, so instead he now shaves it. But he has stubble a couple hours later, so even still, it's pretty rough on the chin once in a while.

Alissalocks
February 4th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Ok today was "weigh in" day for the competition/experiment.

Hubby's starting length, lip to longest strands, is 3.25"

https://s27.postimg.org/ci7yk9m03/image.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/rqxvy1fof/)

And my longest strands, stretched (also oiled and with braid waves), is at 30.5" (and nearly waist!!)

https://s27.postimg.org/6ik7gm17n/image.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/mtkbcxdpb/)

Let's see who has the fastest growth! Final measuring day will be July 4, and I'm sure we will check in to see where we are at from time to time. If so, I'll share more results. :cheer:

Zindell
February 4th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Hahaa, I love this idea! What a wonderful race. :)

Neon Sun
February 15th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I wonder how typical it is to have quite short terminal length of beards? Although I do assume most bearded gents (and ladies) tidy and shape their beards, so maybe we just rarely get to see the full length potential. I know one famous Finn who has long beard, Joulupukki, that is, the Finnish Santa Claus who lives in Finnish Lapland :laugh:

As I noticed short beards are the most popular among all other types :) I suppose that's because for many guys this style is the most comfortable and cool, and also because rather many men simply can't grow a relly long full beard...:eek: Also the patchy style became very popular during the last several years, I suppose that's because of the same reasons :) Have look (http://stylemann.com/best-patchy-beard-styles/), there's many examples of them, personally I like the most among of types for this patchy style :o
This one is my favourite for example, I even wish that my boyfriend had the same :D

http://stylemann.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Justin-Timberlakes-Neat-Beard-e1475172241820-650x650.jpg

vampyyri
February 15th, 2017, 12:36 PM
When this thread started up DH was at 7.5" and I was at 36.75" (both stretched)... so we shall see :lol:

MeAndTheMaz
February 15th, 2017, 01:06 PM
As I noticed short beards are the most popular among all other types :) I suppose that's because for many guys this style is the most comfortable and cool, and also because rather many men simply can't grow a relly long full beard...:eek: Also the patchy style became very popular during the last several years, I suppose that's because of the same reasons :) Have look (http://stylemann.com/best-patchy-beard-styles/), there's many examples of them, personally I like the most among of types for this patchy style :o

:scissors:

Oh good. So when I totally eff up trimming my face, I'm not a complete moron, I'm "fashionable". Sweet as! :disco:

Alissalocks
February 23rd, 2017, 03:23 PM
When this thread started up DH was at 7.5" and I was at 36.75" (both stretched)... so we shall see :lol:

I super love :love: that you guys are doing this too! Shared it with DH who also appreciated the company while growing, and the impressive length of your man's beard. :thumbsup:

lovetoread
February 27th, 2017, 06:50 PM
I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out. Good luck!

Alissalocks
April 11th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Update! Hubby's beard is 4.5", that's 1.25" growth since 2/4/17.

My hair is at 31.5", that's 1" growth.

So far he's ahead! Maybe I'll catch up? :laugh: Challenge doesn't end until July 4th, crossing fingers for a growth spurt come summertime.

Aliya12
April 12th, 2017, 03:21 AM
haha cool! :D

pandabarrier
April 12th, 2017, 07:08 PM
DH has a longuish goatee, that he doesn't trim. A couple of days ago I noticed how long it got. I think it's because of increase of vegetarian protein in our diet (we are both vegetarians and DH made sure I ate enough because I was concerned about anemia some months ago).
My hair has been growing steadily but I doubt he would be willing to measure his goatee for growth comparison lol.

_flora_
April 13th, 2017, 05:58 AM
This is the thread that made me smile the most. What a fun challenge! I'll be waiting for the updates. :)

Alissalocks
June 29th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Reviving the thread because it's almost measuring day!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, I felt like I had a long stall in late April/early May but my monthly checks have kept fairly average.

Who grew the most hair? His beard or my scalp? Stay tuned, results on July 4th!

MsPharaohMoan
June 29th, 2017, 09:10 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ShilvaA
July 1st, 2017, 05:12 AM
I am going to say your hubby will win! Only because I know from my own odd female beard hair that it outgrows my head hair by a long shot! Haha Good luck!!

Alissalocks
July 4th, 2017, 11:26 AM
The "weigh in" is official!!!

My measurement came first... And the longest strand is... 33.5"!!! A difference of +3"!!!

Hubby's measurement came next... A stunning silver with the longest strand at... 6"!!! A difference of +2.75" !!!

Dude that was close!! I barely squeaked it with my scalp, but it's hard to believe I'm looking at 3" growth since February. And it would seem our hair grows about the same rate, his beard and my scalp.

Thanks for playing along, LHC friends! :cheer:

pandabarrier
July 4th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Congrats Alissalocks on your hair growth and winning the challenge! :cheer:
It was fun to follow this thread :D

Alissalocks
July 4th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Congrats Alissalocks on your hair growth and winning the challenge! :cheer:
It was fun to follow this thread :D

Thank you pandabarrier, thanks for having fun with us! I was surprised to squeak it out, but it was one lone runner that crossed the finish line for me!

Zindell
July 13th, 2017, 01:10 AM
Congrats to the win! Must've been fun for you and your hubby, and you both did great!
This was a great thread! :o

Alissalocks
July 18th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Thank you, Zindell! It was a fun experiment, but we both trimmed back a bit, post-race. Now I feel very short again! :laugh: but the hem looks nicer.