PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip a hairdresser?

Minnie
October 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I've had long hair all my life and always just got trims from my sister, but this Friday I'm going to the salon :) I want long layers all throughout my hair and I've finally got up enough courage to do it.
So my question is, how much percentage are you supposed to give for a tip? And this may sound stupid but, when are you suppose to give it to them? I mean, if you pay the lady at the desk when do you tip the person who did you're hair? I'll feel odd just handing them the money right after they're done lol.

Any feedback would be lovely :)

Thanks!

~*Minnie*~

kschr2004
October 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I think the norm now is about 15% to 20% of the haircut cost before tax. At a lot of places the hairstylist will actually ring you up. If they don't, then you can pay first, and tip the hairstylist after.

Also, if a different person other than your stylist shampoos your hair, you would want to give them $1 - $2, in addition to what you tip the stylist.

everstar
October 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
I like to lean them over about twenty degrees.

Sorry, stupid joke. I usually go for 20%, and I think there's a rule of thumb where you give a dollar to the person who washes your hair and a dollar to the person who blows your hair dry. I also think you can also give the money to the person who rings you up if you're not comfortable handing money to the person directly, assuming you're tipping in cash and not adding it on to a credit slip.

wintersun99
October 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM

Oskimosa
October 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
I like to lean them over about twenty degrees.

:lol:

And yes, I'd say about the same as a waiter/waitress, and it depends on service. If you come in with a picture of Eva Longoria's hair and you leave looking like a Fraggle (http://www.ilovefraggles.com/Fraggle%20Rock.jpg), I'd say 0-10% would be ample.

littlemiss
October 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
I think it costs enough to go to the hairdressers without tipping them!:disgust::rolleyes:! are you crazy:slap: Iv never heard of this before!!!:confused: This is not a common pratice in Australia.

NightDaemon
October 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I'll second the lack of tipping in Australia. From what I understand, wages are lower in the US for service jobs and you're supposed to make up for it through tipping. I'd consider tipping for really exceptional service, but not most of the time.

littlemiss
October 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
I payed $30 for someone to cut an inch off my hair last week and there was nothing exceptional about it!! Thank goodness we live in Australia!!!

but i found it interesting that they do this. its something Iv never really thought about before!! Thanks to all for opening my eyes to whats out there and happening in other places in the world!!:smile:

We do live in the Lucky country!!!

DecafJane
October 23rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Wow, $30 is a bargain! I have never managed to have my hair cut for less than about $70! That said, I have a lot of hair and it take them some time to do it. ;)
Standard haircuts for me here cost between $70 and $200, depending on what I have done, so I don't tip. (I tip in restaurants.) (Not getting a haircut for a year has saved me a LOT of money!) I think that hairdressers make a decent living here, so it is a bit different to the USA.

vampodrama
October 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
tipping customs are very different in different countries.... here in Estonia we don't tip either.

eadwine
October 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
Tipping a hairdresser? Hmm over here we don't do that :) They get paid a decent wage like they should be! :)

LutraLutra
October 23rd, 2008, 02:47 AM
We tip in the UK, and like kschr2004 I'd go for 15% to 20% plus £2 ish for the person who washed your hair - unless it was your hairdresser. It's also common in the UK to have your hairdresser trim your fringe/bangs for free between cuts, but I've never tipped for that service - maybe I should have... Oh dear, I feel bad now. :(

Arctic_Mama
October 23rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
I was so ignorant, I honestly didn't realize gratuity was expected for haircuts until maybe a few months ago! It just seems a little strange to me, considering what I am paying to have done and that I expect a base amount of service for the (exorbitant) pricetag. But since I didn't want to look tacky and my hairdresser is EXTREMELY good and very considerate of my desires, I give her 20% now.

I can't believe my mom never mentioned that while I was growing up. How are people supposed to figure it out if nobody TELLS you?!?! I must be the only weirdo on earth who didn't know that was a standard practice in this country.

Morticia
October 23rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
I always tip at least 20%. And then extra for the shampoo assistant.

America's labor practices are odd to much of the world. On average, a white collar worker will get 2 weeks paid vacation each year. I think that in other industrialized countries, it's more like 4 to 6 weeks paid vacation each year. Many of my former students (just graduated from college and new in the paid labor force) are having to work 2 or 3 jobs without benefits just to pay the rent.

aries
October 23rd, 2008, 05:53 AM
LOL, well on the other hand, I didn't know you don't tip in other countries. Here in the US, I usually tip very well and I mean above 20% for just a trim but I never heard of not tipping your hair stylist. I feel like a huge dork and learned something new to boot.

Zindell
October 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
I am very happy that we don't tip in Sweden. On my US trips I always dread when it's time to pay because I have to calculate in my head and give them a decent tip. Oh the stress to keep everyone happy! :D

In Sweden all is included in the prize.. i.e. on restaurants the tip are already baked into the bill. (So can't really call it a tip anymore I guess).

Also in some southern US states i remember it was custom to bargain for the price on some items. *shrug*.

Here in Sweden.. an item always costs what it says on the label. If I tried to bargain for a better prize I'm sure I'd get som funny looks. :rolleyes:

eadwine
October 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
The only time I DO tip is in restaurants, where your tip goes to the waiter. I can't think of anywhere else off hand where we tip, except for there.

SophieGrowGrow
October 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
nothing! :) since im only 16 I get away with it.

lora410
October 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
i usually tip about 5$. standard trims alone are already disgusting expensive, and they spend what, 5 mins on hair?

snowbear
October 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
I've added a tipping tag, which links to the other recent thread regarding tipping.

joyfulmom4
October 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I tend to tip about 15%, rarely more. It depends a lot on what the hairdresser does and how long it takes. I honestly think it's a rip-off for what I get most of the time. I'll go in for a trim on the ends and they whip through and take about 5 min max, then I'm supposed to pay the fee plus a big tip? If they were spending more time and really doing a good job, I'd tip more. And I have had stylists who took time and did a very proper job of trimming; sectioning the hair and carefully trimming ends, checking for evenness, etc. But all too often they just lop off the ends and barely seem to care. That doesn't warrant a big tip if you ask me...

snowbear
October 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
I can't even begin to fathom this reasoning. From your response, I assume that you live in a country where tipping is customary. Personally, I think that if you're old enough to purchase services where a tip is required, you're old enough to know that not leaving a tip is extraordinarily rude. Thinking that you're young enough to "get way with it" smacks of immaturity to me.

:twocents:

Aisha25
October 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I wouldnt tip them your already paying for the haircut right? Just my :twocents:

StephanieB
October 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I'll second the lack of tipping in Australia. From what I understand, wages are lower in the US for service jobs and you're supposed to make up for it through tipping. I'd consider tipping for really exceptional service, but not most of the time.

Here in the U.S., tipping is expected. Hairdressers and waiters usually make a fraction of minimum wage and the government expects them to live on their tips as well. Wash people (at the wash sink) and bus persons (at restaurants) make even less than waiters(resses) and bus'boys', and rely upon their tips to survive - literally.

Here, it is expected/the norm of a 15-20% tip, which is for regular service... and higher for exceptional service.

Now, in a restaurant, the tip you leave for your waiter/ress is split between her/him and the busboy. (not an even split, mind you)

But in a salon, you must tip the gal at the wash sink - she won't even earn minimum hourly wages, otherwise.
And if your colorist, for example, is not the same person at your stylist... or if a different person blows your hair dry... you must tip each one of these people individually. The tip you left your hairdresser is NOT split.

A good example of this might be me:

I may have a manicure/pedicure, a hair cut, and, let's say, a style done also - like an updo. Let's say I pay $33 for the cut and another $15 if I want it blow-dried. And my mani/pedi is on a Wednesday - so it's the special combo price of $25. And it's another $15 for another gal to French braid it for me.

I need to tip my manicurist, my pedicurist, my hair dresser who cut my hair, the wash gal, and, maybe, a different hairdresser who French braided it for me.

The person at the wash sink should get $2 for just the wash... and if she must also rinse out color or perm or whatnot, I should tip her 2 or 3 times that original amount stated, depending on how much she does.

The person who braided it (and did not cut or blow dry) should get about 15-20% of what the hair-cutting & -styling total cost (unless the price for the braiding was quoted aside from the cost of the cut/blow dry).

That hairdresser who cut & blow-dried it should get 15-20% of the total haircut/style price amount in tip (unless the braiding or other styling of the 'do was quoted spearately from the cut/blow dry).

Whomever does the manicure should get 15% tip, and so should the pedicurist.

And if you get waxing or sugaring or other such services performed, they should merit the same 15% tip per their cost(s).

It used to be 10-15%, but has been 15-20% for many years, now, hereabouts.

I can't really recall that last time I paid a less than 15% tip to anyone (other than the wash gal)... assuming a good job was done, of course.

So for my virtual visit, I would have to pay (didn't bother to acutally calculate it):
$35 ($53) for my cut (and blow dry) - and tip approx. $4.50($6)
$25 (for the manicure.pedicure) and tip approx. $3.50
$15 (for the French braid) and tip approx. $2.50
$2 to the wash girl for her tip
____
$87.50/$107 total cost (if I added it all right in my head, in a hurry - my math might be wrong)

I hope Aussie hairdressers and waiters and such get paid a better hourly wage than their American counterparts do.....

xrosiex
October 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
The same girl always does my wash and dusting. And I always tip her at least $5 dollars. Maybe more depends on how long she takes. She is the best and I enjoy tipping her.:)

StephanieB
October 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
No you don't.

If you live either in the USA or where tipping is customary, which your flippant reply suggests... then you aren't "getting away with" anything but extreme rudeness.

And you will find, as you get older, that it comes home to roost.

But if you weren't taught better by the age of 16 years, then you aren't likely to learn any better manners.

I hope you - for your sake - that never enter the workforce in any job that relies on tips, because an attitude like you just displayed reflects the sort of person whom many will not tip when you serve them.

I have very rarely ever not left a decent tip for a waiter/waitress.

If I tip - it's full tip (15-20% of the total food bill + 10% of the liquor from the bar)

If the service was so dreadful as all that to matter to the tip... I will decide if it merited a no tip reaction from me.
And if it does, I will call the manager over (or ask to have him sent over, to come to speak with me) and explain exactly what went wrong, what my gripes are.
And if I can't come up with enough gripe for that action - then I give fair tip - 15% food/10% alcoholic drinks minimum.

I paid my way thru college working as a night waitress. I still remember those days, despite them being a full 30+ years history.

freznow
October 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
I had no idea hairdressers didn't get minimum wage. Is it really considered in the same category as being a waiter or waitress? That seems absurd to me. (Thankfully I don't ever go so I don't have to worry about it, though)

StephanieB
October 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
The same girl always does my wash and dusting. And I always tip her at least $5 dollars. Maybe more depends on how long she takes. She is the best and I enjoy tipping her.:)

That is what tipping ought ot be about,

I don't return to any place where I didn't like the service(s) performed. If I liked it, then I tip.

If the food isn't good, for example, but the wait staff treated me properly -- then they git tipped, and I just don't come back.

The same is true if I don't like a hair cut or style, or a manicure or whatever.

dor3girl
October 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
I used to do hair in a salon & I would have to agree with the above posts. In countries where tipping is customary 10-20% seems to be average for haircuts. And if it is a full service salon where someone else shampoos your hair then $1-5 dollars is sufficient to tip the shampooer--that is, if she did a good job. A good shampoo girl will massage the scalp during the shampoo & will rinse long hair in cooler water to close the cuticle.

As far as the service--if it is a chain haircutting place (supercuts, fantastic Sams, etc)--then you probably won't be getting a high-end cut that requires a huge tip. In chains, the tip is often just left on the hairdressers stations. In full service salons, the tip is more discreetly left with the bill as you pay the cashier--and you can designate the tip to be split between hairdresser & assistant/shampoo person or just the hairdresser. Also--just as a side note: don't feel obligated to leave a tip--especially if the haircut is bad--let them know & either the stylist or another staff member can fix it free of charge.

Also, good stylists that have assistants will share the week's tips with their assistant(s) or shampoo girls--so, if your budget doesn't allow tipping of the assistants, don't feel bad. Salon owners keep costs down by paying assistants/shampoo people a minimum wage & then making up the difference with tips. Hope that helps!

BlackfootHair
October 23rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
I haven't read anyone else's response, so sorry if I repeat something similar! :)
First off, don't feel weird handing them the tip right then and there if you feel like it. I've worked in a salon as a nail tech and believe me, I prefer the tips come directly to me, versus being first handed to the girl up front and then me. We had issues of tips being stolen...

Here is how I tip a hairdresser. First off, I had beyond my fair share of horrid hair cuts. I always go to Great Clips, Fantastic Sam's, Cost Cutters, and the such. (this may be why I've had bad experiences, but I've also had great ones in the same places as well.) If the girl messes up my hair in any way, forget it. I go in very specific with what I want done. Blunt layering (no texturizing shears or point cutting!!) and am very specific with the amount to be taken off. If the hairdresser makes me happy, I give her a $10 tip minimum. (I've actually given $15 before.) If she did one thing right, but did something else wrong, but overall I'm still happy with it...I'll tip $5. I never really go below $5. Unless they sucked but gave it a really long effort and kept their attitude in check as I fussed over everything. Keep in mind that the haircuts usually cost $15 at max, so a $10 tip is well over 50%. But, if I'm happy with my hair and leave smiling and not in tears, they earned every dime. :)

dor3girl
October 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
No you don't.

If you live either in the USA or where tipping is customary, which your flippant reply suggests... then you aren't "getting away with" anything but extreme rudeness.

And you will find, as you get older, that it comes home to roost.

But if you weren't taught better by the age of 16 years, then you aren't likely to learn any better manners.

I hope you - for your sake - that never enter the workforce in any job that relies on tips, because an attitude like you just displayed reflects the sort of person whom many will not tip when you serve them.

I have very rarely ever not left a decent tip for a waiter/waitress.

If I tip - it's full tip (15-20% of the total food bill + 10% of the liquor from the bar)

If the service was so dreadful as all that to matter to the tip... I will decide if it merited a no tip reaction from me.
And if it does, I will call the manager over (or ask to have him sent over, to come to speak with me) and explain exactly what went wrong, what my gripes are.
And if I can't come up with enough gripe for that action - then I give fair tip - 15% food/10% alcoholic drinks minimum.

I paid my way thru college working as a night waitress. I still remember those days, despite them being a full 30+ years history.

I just had to comment on this, as well. (forgive me) Growing up, my family was not very wealthy--we had a lot of kids & eating out was something that only happened on rare occasions. My mom & dad would always leave a tip on the table.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that tipping in the US has become "expected" by waiters & waitresses. It seems that only the nicest restaurants have good waiters anymore--yet ALL of them seem to expect a tip--& most give crappy service. I can't tell you how many times my order has been wrong, my drinks have been left empty, or the waitress was just plain cranky. If you feel "pressured" to leave a tip--maybe it would be wise to make it minimal & leave a note with a real tip, like "get a better attitude" or "this is the SERVICE industry." It has gotten to the point that I will go out of my way to compliment a waitress who actually does her job & is nice & attentive!

Tipping should be earned. Period.

Minnie
October 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Thank you everyone for the responces! They were very helpful. I didn't know you had to tip the person that washes your hair too, but it makes sense. I just think I will feel really strange just handing them money, but like people have said they're probably expecting it so I shouldn't feel weird. But I tip them right then, like while my hair is up in a towel? lol
I hope I can caculate in my head how much 20 percent is right away lol. I probably shouldn't be worried so much about it, I just want to make sure I treat everyone there well so that if I come back they won't be like, 'oh thats the girl that tipped bad lets not do a good job on her!' lol.

Thanks again guys :)

~*Minnie*~

Forever_Sophie
October 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
At least 20%.

wintersun99
October 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Tipping should be earned. Period.

I agree! I just can't fathom tipping anyone in any industry for doing a bad job. Why? I will never understand.

kschr2004
October 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Minnie,

Tipping usually happens once the service has been completed. That way you can tell whether you're happy or not (which usually affects the outcome of the tip).

Kimberly

StephanieB
October 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
In full service salons, the tip is more discreetly left with the bill as you pay the cashier--and you can designate the tip to be split between hairdresser & assistant/shampoo person or just the hairdresser.
Yes, I forgot to say it, but I too will either leave it - verbally designated as to whom gets how much - with the cahsier/receptionist, or else go back to the persons, one by one, and discreetly give it personally, palm-to-palm, quietly, with a big smile and a "Thank you. I love it." or "See ya next week!"

A few hairdressers have told me, "Oh, just put it in my drawer/pocket."
I hate putting my hand in a place like that, but if there's little alternative and they've said to do it... *shrug* I'll do it.

Also--just as a side note: don't feel obligated to leave a tip--especially if the haircut is bad--let them know & either the stylist or another staff member can fix it free of charge.
If the cut, color, manicure, whatever was NOT good - I wouldn't tip... or I might leave less of a tip than usual for me... depending upon how bad it actually was.

The ONLY time I tipped ZERO was Kathy, the hairdresser/colorist who chemical-burned me badly enough to send me to the hopsital for a miserable stay in the burn unit. (read my blog)
She is the ONLY one I've never paid nor tipped. And I sued her personally and the salon where she worked for the damages... and won more than I'd sought. The jury was horrified. One man actually puked in the jury box, and two women had the dry heaves, but managed to keep it down. That's how bad my scalp looked... and that was months afterwards. They shoulda seen the real thing, and not just pix, of what it was like initially... and if they had felt the pain themselves they'd've given me even more.

It takes a LOT to get me to refuse to tip.

Also, good stylists that have assistants will share the week's tips with their assistant(s) or shampoo girls--so, if your budget doesn't allow tipping of the assistants, don't feel bad. Salon owners keep costs down by paying assistants/shampoo people a minimum wage & then making up the difference with tips. Hope that helps!

Now, that's interesting.

I didn't know that. :)

StephanieB
October 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Minnie,

Tipping usually happens once the service has been completed. That way you can tell whether you're happy or not (which usually affects the outcome of the tip).

Kimberly
Minnie, you should not be asked to pay before all service has been completed, nor should you tip until after the same. Most definitely!

Beatnik Guy
October 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I am confused. What is this thing "hairdresser"? :confused:

Euphony
October 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I am confused. What is this thing "hairdresser"? :confused:
mwahahahaha!

Well after I move I'm sure hairdresser will become a foreign concept to me too as I just can't fathom trusting someone else to cut my hair.

I've been going to the same person for 8 years, she's wonderful, always does exactly what I ask. Even when I asked her to hack it all off she did, but she did argue with me for about 15 minutes (she was right, yep!). I tip her 30%, I'm sure if my situation was like the normal population and I saw whomever and had a cut every 2 months or so I'd tip more like 20% like I do with good service at a restaurant. If the service is poor I tip very little or not at all - I really should explain to the wait staff why I do this, but hopefully they get the hint, or they just figure I'm a cheap b!^$#

CourtneyS
October 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I always go to the beauty college... It costs at the most $15.00.. I always give 5-10 depending on what was done.

burns_erin
October 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
This is interesting to me. Around here, to the best that I have been able to ascertain there are 3 different likely scenarios. 1. hairdressers pay their station rent essentially, and get all the money from the cut. 2. they split the money from the services with the salon. 3. Or they get paid a certain amount and then after meeting quotas get bonuses. I do not think I have ever heard of a salon around here employing people for tipped staff wages.

30isthenewblack
October 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I hope Aussie hairdressers and waiters and such get paid a better hourly wage than their American counterparts do.....

Australians receive 20 days holidays which equates to four working weeks. I would not like to move to a system where our workers rely on tipping to supplement their wage. I am starting to realise how good our standard of living is here.

jojo
October 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I always tip after a good cut, normally a big box of chocs and a huge bottle of wine, always makes me appreciate how good I am getting at self cuts!!!

LifeisAdventure
October 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Aww... this thread gives me one more reminder of how much I miss living in Australia. Decent wages and paid vacation, ahhh.... can't say I miss the $100 a pop for generic jeans though!

30isthenewblack
October 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Aww... this thread gives me one more reminder of how much I miss living in Australia. Decent wages and paid vacation, ahhh.... can't say I miss the $100 a pop for generic jeans though!

OT: Awwww ... online shopping is great though and having a friend who constantly travels overseas. It was great when the Australian dollar was almost matching the American dollar :)

StephanieB
October 29th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Australians receive 20 days holidays which equates to four working weeks. I would not like to move to a system where our workers rely on tipping to supplement their wage. I am starting to realise how good our standard of living is here.

See, that makes it worthwhile not to get tips. :)

Most Americans (no matter what the job, nor how much education is invloved, etc) start off getting one (1) week - five (5) days - upon hire. And they get a 2nd week added to that after a year's employment. In most cases, they must work at the same place for another 4 years (total of 5 years of employment) for a 3rd week. Few Americans, these days, get four (4) weeks' worth of paid holiday time. And if they do - it's usually after more than five (5) year's of employment at one place.

And, like I said - hairdressers, waiter/ress(es), and similar service-oriented persons are forced/expected to rely upon tips to make their expected living wages.

While your (Aussie) standard of living - in terms of per capita extra cash to spare - is a bit less than what we've got here (well - at least before September of this year, anyhow)... you Aussies get far better bennies (benefits) than most Americans.

These days (post-September 2008), I'd have to hazard an educated guess that being an Aussie worker is far better financially than being an American worker.

meganb990
October 29th, 2008, 08:58 AM
15-20% is normal for me to tip my hairstylist when I used to get regular haircuts and colors. If they do a horrible job though I wouldn't tip them that much.