PDA

View Full Version : Frequent washers club!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

lapushka
January 27th, 2017, 02:36 PM
If you wash more than once a week, please join here and keep us all company! :D :flower:

JillRenee
January 27th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Can I be the first one to join? Usually I wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

lithostoic
January 27th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Me! I use shampoo every 5 or 6 days and do a water rinse in between. My hair stays pretty happy this way! I've taken to oiling it after the water rinse and leaving it oiled in a braid until wash day.

HairPlease
January 27th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I wash every day to every other day. I love it. I have tried stretching washes and stuck with it for many months but it never worked out for me. I'm just one of those people. Thanks for starting this thread!

Kiiruna
January 27th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I wash in Thursdays and Sundays.

lapushka
January 27th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I wash every day to every other day. I love it. I have tried stretching washes and stuck with it for many months but it never worked out for me. I'm just one of those people. Thanks for starting this thread!

You're welcome. Should have thought of this earlier. :)

vampyyri
January 27th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Okay I guess you're right lapushka, I belong here...

Full wash on Saturdays, scalp-only washes & bang-only washes in between as needed here. I'm an oil slick, I can't leave my scalp to it's own devices—if I do, then my scalp starts getting zits, and that's not very nice.

There was one time where I stretched against my will for three weeks when Sandy hit here and we were without power/hot water. I had to wash my hair 4+ times to get all the sebum out, it was NASTY!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 27th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I expected "frequent washing" to be every day, or every couple of days :)

I usually wash twice a week.

lapushka
January 27th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Okay I guess you're right lapushka, I belong here...

Full wash on Saturdays, scalp-only washes & bang-only washes in between as needed here. I'm an oil slick, I can't leave my scalp to it's own devices—if I do, then my scalp starts getting zits, and that's not very nice.

There was one time where I stretched against my will for three weeks when Sandy hit here and we were without power/hot water. I had to wash my hair 4+ times to get all the sebum out, it was NASTY!

Not that long ago, I went from 2/3 washes a week to a wash every 2 weeks (medical reasons). It was a *big* adjustment and my scalp went all sorts of bonkers. I was certainly not used to that all of a sudden. But after my medications were on point, I could resume my normal schedule and suddenly found out I could weekly wash. Bonus. After all that... OMG! What an ordeal that was. But I've been in both spots, I guess. :o

lapushka
January 27th, 2017, 03:05 PM
I expected "frequent washing" to be every day, or every couple of days :)

I usually wash twice a week.

According to a hairdresser (in my youth), washing once a week = normal, more than once a week = oily (so however much you need to wash), and longer than a week = dry. I think I went by that for starting the thread.

HairPlease
January 27th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Wow, yeah, for me, if I don't wash at least 3 times per week, I get zits and pain. It's a kind of pain that if I move my hair, it hurts. The derm says it's not SD or anything medical... I just have an oily scalp. I have oily skin, too.

mayfaring
January 27th, 2017, 04:06 PM
I tend to wash every second or third day. If I don't, my scalp and bangs get greasy looking and start to itch after about three days. I've thought about stretching washes, but I always give up.

Vivalagina
January 27th, 2017, 04:21 PM
I wash every two to three days. Any longer than that my scalp feels yucky even if I don't look very oily.

spidermom
January 27th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Every 2-4 days, depending.

Aphra
January 27th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Two to three days here too. I had successfully stretched it to every three, but I foolishly tried a sulphate free shampoo and co washing (not at the same time, obviously). My scalp was not impressed, and although a return to HE has fixed the grease and zits, I'm back to alternate days. Moral of the story, don't try and fix non-broken things even if others think they are sub-optimal.

school of fish
January 27th, 2017, 04:41 PM
Every day washer here! :D I alternate S&C days with CO days - it's how my hair stays happy :)

nalgena
January 27th, 2017, 04:55 PM
I usually was every Sunday and Wednesday, but I use dry shampoo in between.

For about a year, I've tried to go 4 or more days without washing but it just doesn't work for me! My scalp gets itchy and I think I do more damage by scratching it.

LittleQuill
January 27th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I'll join too! I wash 2-3 times a week to combat dry ends, since they tend to get crunchy after a day or so. Washing is the only thing that seems to make it go away. So, hi guys! *wave*

vampyyri
January 27th, 2017, 06:06 PM
This is actually really comforting having this thread for those of us who simply can't stretch washes. I know stretching can reduce potential damage, but scalp health is equally as important as hair health... Because ya know, that's where the hair comes from :p

Llama
January 27th, 2017, 06:13 PM
I don't consider washing hair twice a week to be "Frequent".
I was raised to believe you are supposed to wash your hair every time you shower, so every single day or every other day, and didn't realize anyone went longer than that until I was like 20 years old, lol.
So I guess what is "normal" or "frequent" is different for everyone.

But yeah, I wash my hair twice a week but use dry shampoo on non-wash days if I'm going out.

diddiedaisy
January 27th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Well I think as a daily washer I certainly fit here. I sometimes CO but either way something happens to my hair in one way shape or form when I have my morning shower. I've done this since I was about 14 and I'm not gonna stop. It is a scalp only wash and I only wash the bulk if I am clarifying. I use conditioner to rinse out heavy oils, as it works better than shampoo anyway. I love freshly cleaned hair, it feels nice and it smells nice. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm as my hair isn't dry and looks healthy and shiny despite the hair dye.

I did try stretching when I joined here as I don't get oily scalp every day but the itches....it felt like I had lice. On the days I didn't wash I just personally didn't feel clean, obviously that's in my head as you don't need to wash your hair to be clean, but after daily washing for 500 years it's hard to get your head around not doing it :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 27th, 2017, 06:18 PM
According to a hairdresser (in my youth), washing once a week = normal, more than once a week = oily (so however much you need to wash), and longer than a week = dry. I think I went by that for starting the thread.

Ah, I see.

I can wash weekly, and sometimes do, but my hair does get oily on day 4 onwards, so....at the moment it's wash twice a week.

rags
January 27th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I wash twice week usually - Thursdays and Sundays. Some days I can't on those days and will involuntarily stretch - and it never turns out well for my poor scalp. I use sulphates on it too! :p

I stretched to once a week a long time ago, but my poor scalp got so raw and sore it was awful. Twice a week gives me usually one day where I couldn't wear it down at all and that's it.

lithostoic
January 27th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Today was wash day, as I'm going out tomorrow night and wanted my hair to look nice. I used Shea Moisture's african water mint shampoo and the shea butter conditioner. Scrubbed my length for a change, and didn't use as much conditioner. Still feels great! Wonder how the takedown of the French rope braids is going to be.

dvep
January 27th, 2017, 06:43 PM
I'm a twice-a-week washer, too! I have to because of my SD.

Zesty
January 27th, 2017, 06:48 PM
I don't think of twice weekly washing as "frequent," either, considering that I washed daily until I was 18 and discovered the LHC (wow, was I really that young when I got here?). But I wash on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings. :o Trying to go longer just makes me feel yucky and I think the frustration with not feeling presentable contributed to my big chop in 2013. I like my rhythm now, I think it's a good balance.

ephemeri
January 27th, 2017, 07:09 PM

This is interesting to me because my hair and scalp seem to be pretty happy with washing every 2-3 days (so I guess that's 3-4x a week) but my scalp feels dry, not oily. I don't get very oily. I would say my scalp starts to get itchy and just kind of feels dry. I think my lengths and my scalp just like being exposed to water every couple of days to re-moisturize. I WANT to go back to co-washing so badly because my scalp feels like it wants more moisture, but it makes me shed so much.

What's a girl to do!

RavenRose
January 27th, 2017, 07:20 PM
I wash every other day when I am working- when I am just at home I can stretch it another day- but it is NOT presentable and if I go out of the house I must cover it!
I tried for months when I was staying home to stretch washes further, but my scalp Never adjusted, and I constantly was just a big grease ball.

divinedobbie
January 27th, 2017, 07:42 PM
I certainly fit into this thread. Im a daily washer and wouldn't have it any other way :)

pailin
January 27th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Daily washer here! I can stretch to every other day, and now that I've figured out what my scalp likes, it doesn't even itch too badly. But it's much much better behaved if I just wash daily. Maybe we should have a daily wash thread too, as we have quite a range of frequent washing.

marvel-lover
January 27th, 2017, 08:08 PM
I don't know whether I belong here or in the weekly washers thread; it depends on the week! I never wash more than twice a week, and some weeks I'll stretch it the whole 7 days and wash on Saturdays, some weeks I wash on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I base the decision on the state of my hair, how much oil I've put it in, how often I've worked out and how much I sweat, the weather, how dirty my hair looks, and if I need my hair to look good come Friday.

EliseMarie
January 27th, 2017, 08:11 PM
I wash my hair daily at most and every other day when I can. When my hair was longer, I usually washed it every other day. The first day I would wear it down and the second day would be an updo or half up.

Shepherdess
January 27th, 2017, 08:11 PM
I think I will join this club too! :) I try to remember to wash my hair at least twice a week now, otherwise I end up with an itchy scalp, so this place will be a good reminder for me! :flower:

The-Young-Maid
January 27th, 2017, 10:12 PM
I used to wash weekly for probably a year or more. The past couple years though I've been washing (with shampoo) on average every other day. My scalp just feels so much happier and even my hair isn't damaged. I use a desk fan to dry it while I work.

ravenreed
January 27th, 2017, 10:36 PM
I do a full wash every other day. It makes my hair happy, it makes my scalp happy, and it makes me happy.

Serimel
January 27th, 2017, 11:44 PM
I typically wash my hair twice a week. My hair week starts on Sunday (me and my hair live in parallel time universes) with an oil treatment, candles and full wash ceremony/ritual. Then from there I try to stretch as far as I can. For now I've only managed until Wednesday or Thursday which is quite okay since I used to wash my hair every other day. In the middle of the week I do a more modest wash without special treatments (CWC, leave in and oil) and add some drops of oil during the week whenever in need. My aim is to jump into weekly washers club in the future if my hair and scalp agree. We'll see about that.

Entangled
January 27th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Every other day, like clockwork.

poli
January 28th, 2017, 12:09 AM
This is actually really comforting having this thread for those of us who simply can't stretch washes. I know stretching can reduce potential damage, but scalp health is equally as important as hair health... Because ya know, that's where the hair comes from :p

I was thinking about it today :) some of us just have to "listen to our scalp" first. I wash 3 times a week.

Crystawni
January 28th, 2017, 01:06 AM
My scalp has just about sweet FA to do with how often I wash my hair. Sweat and swimming are my triggers. :p I used to be a daily washer before LHC (so, that's over 40 years post-childhood...), but now not so much as I've tweaked my routine so I feel fresher for longer, although I still prefer a fresh head of hair to go with a fresh bod. :o And then there are some days I wash my hair a few times thanks to weather, workouts and lifestyle... :wethree:

Jas
January 28th, 2017, 02:53 AM
I tend to wash mine twice per week. It starts to look quite oily at day 3, I've tried putting it up and leaving it that extra day but it just doesn't feel nice.

Some weeks it'll be every other day though if I don't keep my resolve!

LadyCelestina
January 28th, 2017, 03:05 AM
I wash when my hair feels like it (and I have time), but I don't normally go past 3-4 days. I have scalp issues and curly hair which likes to tangle as time goes.

lapushka
January 28th, 2017, 03:23 AM

Definitely. When I still needed to wash 2/3 times a week, I just *did* it, because I didn't want to anger my SD, then when I had to stretch to once every 2 weeks (medical issues, kind of a long story), then my SD got *really* out of hand and boy... I wouldn't want to go through that again. They say you need to stretch slowly, and it is still what I would recommend, because... I really brutalized my scalp. Thank goodness it was all fine in the end, but would I recommend you (general you) stretch that far just like that... no way!

eladriel
January 28th, 2017, 10:21 AM
I wash every 2-3 days. I have oily skin and my scalp gets itchy if I try to stretch washes.

lapis_lazuli
January 28th, 2017, 12:04 PM
As of now I don't, but my scalp would be happier with more frequent washing. I may join you all here...

Mimha
January 28th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Upon lapushka's advice, I come here... but not to register as a frequent washer, lol. I register as a less frequent washer of the frequent washers, and as a weekly washer wannabe ! :wannabe:

:laugh: My washing schedule is more around 5-6 days than 7, actually. As I said in the weekly washers thread, I try to stretch to a weekly rhythm, but it's not always possible : my scalp gets oily quicker in the summer if it's hot and if I am very active outdoors, and in the winter if I have to cover my hair (which flattens my hair down and makes it get oily quicker). But I have been able to stretch quite a lot these last years. Getting older must have some advantages sometimes ! ^^

lithostoic
January 28th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Mimha I'm also a weekly washer wannabe :P I could get away with it when I had dreads but not so much now. If I used dry shampoo, sure! One good thing about frequent washing is being able to use styling product :P I'm wearing hairspray right now.

kidari
January 28th, 2017, 12:36 PM
I wash every other day most days and then I stretch it another day or two when it works out for me. My scalp has balanced out finally that I no longer need to daily wash it. Although I suspect it was more about training me than it was about training my scalp. On the second day my hair looks even better than it did on wash day and on wash day my hair is very fluffy. This used to never happen to me. I hope over the years maybe I can even go washing only twice a week easily.

lapushka
January 28th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Upon lapushka's advice, I come here... but not to register as a frequent washer, lol. I register as a less frequent washer of the frequent washers, and as a weekly washer wannabe ! :wannabe:

:laugh: My washing schedule is more around 5-6 days than 7, actually. As I said in the weekly washers thread, I try to stretch to a weekly rhythm, but it's not always possible : my scalp gets oily quicker in the summer if it's hot and if I am very active outdoors, and in the winter if I have to cover my hair (which flattens my hair down and makes it get oily quicker). But I have been able to stretch quite a lot these last years. Getting older must have some advantages sometimes ! ^^

It's fine to flip/flop between threads. Why not? :) It sometimes might be possible to weekly wash, other times no. You have to see what's right for you at the time. :thumbsup:

Phanaferous
January 28th, 2017, 02:41 PM
I wash every third day. Sometimes it's a scalp wash, but most often it's a full shampoo and condition. On my non-wash days I will sometimes massage my scalp with wet fingers, fluffing up the roots and redistributing oils and sebum. This helps me avoid achy scalp.

Before joining the LHC, the most I could stretch was to every other day, and it was a struggle on that second day. I went through a week of non-washing to try and re-set my sebum production, and it worked. Every third day seems to be my sweet spot for now.

hamilton
January 28th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I usually wash 2-3 times per week, though I have started doing scalp only washes instead of always washing all my hair at least once a week which has cut down on work.

Mimha
January 28th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Mimha I'm also a weekly washer wannabe :P I could get away with it when I had dreads but not so much now. If I used dry shampoo, sure! One good thing about frequent washing is being able to use styling product :P I'm wearing hairspray right now.

I don't like to have whatsoever leave-in products in my hair. I can't even imagine dry "shampoo" (I know : I have tried with corn flour, lol). So in case of need I will preferably do a WO... But I don't know if this counts as a washing or not ?? Help, lapushka !

It's fine to flip/flop between threads. Why not? :) It sometimes might be possible to weekly wash, other times no. You have to see what's right for you at the time. :thumbsup:

Ok then I will be an over-threader (or a trans-threader), ha ha ha ! :laugh:

Kellwise Gamgee
January 28th, 2017, 08:52 PM
I wash every other day, occasionally every 3 days! Between an oily scalp, gross stinky sweat from running, and crappy looking waves/ curls, I can't go longer that that!!

Dark40
January 28th, 2017, 09:47 PM
I belong here. I frequently wash every single day. I shampoo 3 times a week, and co-wash 2 times per week. I have also tried stretching out my washes many years ago but it never worked for me. It would always leave my hair feeling very greasy.

Groovy Granny
January 28th, 2017, 11:16 PM
That's me.....twice a week; Summer time it may be 3x/week.
I tried once a week and just can't do it :shrug:
It looks 'ok' but when my scalp starts to feel 'heavy'....I start to feel guilty and gross :rollin:

lapushka
January 29th, 2017, 04:16 AM
Mimha, I adapted the other thread for weekly washers to 5-7 days = a week. Because otherwise we would have "issues". :lol:

Mimha
January 29th, 2017, 04:40 AM
Mimha, I adapted the other thread for weekly washers to 5-7 days = a week. Because otherwise we would have "issues". :lol:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The kind of very serious issues that we - long hair folks - consider as crucial matters, you know, like these ii/iii stuff or 2c/3a limits. Not even mentioning the notion of BSL or BCL length... :rollin:

lapushka
January 29th, 2017, 04:50 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The kind of very serious issues that we - long hair folks - consider as crucial matters, you know, like these ii/iii stuff or 2c/3a limits. Not even mentioning the notion of BSL or BCL length... :rollin:

Exactly. ;) :p

catasa
January 29th, 2017, 05:22 AM
This is my club! I wash every other day, have tried stretching it, doesnīt work... itchy scalp, more shedding. And my lengths also seem unhappy with less frequent washing, they get dry-looking and -feeling, which is why I donīt scalp-wash as much as I did earlier, though I guess that in the long run they would benefit from less frequent washing.

Hairkay
January 29th, 2017, 08:19 AM
I wash my hair daily. I'd been raised doing that so I stick to it. For me this is the WO method. I'm not able to use conventional shampoos and conditioners due to many allergies. Some on the WO method do the rinses 1-2 times a week and some challenge themselves to stretch washes further than that. My hair and scalp would dry out if I stretched washes. I also don't use leave in conditioners so my routine is necessary for my hair to look and feel at its best.

lapushka
January 29th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I wash my hair daily. I'd been raised doing that so I stick to it. For me this is the WO method. I'm not able to use conventional shampoos and conditioners due to many allergies. Some on the WO method do the rinses 1-2 times a week and some challenge themselves to stretch washes further than that. My hair and scalp would dry out if I stretched washes. I also don't use leave in conditioners so my routine is necessary for my hair to look and feel at its best.

Oh, hun, no need to explain. It's OK to wash daily!!! And it must not be easy with those allergies. :flower:

Lilac Blossoms
January 29th, 2017, 09:43 AM
I wash every other day- occasionally I can stretch it to two days between washes, but typically it's every other. I've tried going longer based on what I've read from many of the folks here, but my scalp gets oily and greasy quick. I know sebum is good for your scalp and hair and I know scalps eventually adjust to less washing, but I just can't do it. I'd switched to an Argan oil shampoo with no sulfates, parabens etc., and even that had to go by the wayside because it wasn't washing my scalp thoroughly enough and my hair, especially at the crown of my head, felt disgusting. My hair is very thick, and when the shampoo doesn't lather, it's impossible for me to know whether I missed a spot. I'm still using the Argan oil conditioner, though, which seems to do well in my hair.

lapushka
January 29th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I wash every other day- occasionally I can stretch it to two days between washes, but typically it's every other. I've tried going longer based on what I've read from many of the folks here, but my scalp gets oily and greasy quick. I know sebum is good for your scalp and hair and I know scalps eventually adjust to less washing, but I just can't do it. I'd switched to an Argan oil shampoo with no sulfates, parabens etc., and even that had to go by the wayside because it wasn't washing my scalp thoroughly enough and my hair, especially at the crown of my head, felt disgusting. My hair is very thick, and when the shampoo doesn't lather, it's impossible for me to know whether I missed a spot. I'm still using the Argan oil conditioner, though, which seems to do well in my hair.

If you have to wash... you just *have* to. I know what my SD gets like when I don't wash in due time (luckily I can now weekly wash but that was due to some "issues" that weren't pleasant).

Have you tried washing in "sections". I have "imaginary" sections. I wash bent over. A glob of shampoo goes on the back of my head. A glob goes on the top, and a glob, divided into two goes on both temples. Then all globs are lathered up separately, until my whole head is foamy and then it gets massaged all over. It works for me.

NimbleNut
January 29th, 2017, 02:09 PM
I think I've found my people! I was a daily washer up until probably 6 months or so ago. I switched my usually shampoo and conditioner for sulfate and silicone free (and a whole lot of other "free" as well) products and started noticing my hair didn't get greasy as quickly as usually. It wasn't until I started lurking lhc in August or so that I started trying to stretch washes. Now I'm able to wash every other day or sometimes every third day. Sometimes I still wash daily since, as other poster's have mentioned, there are days that I just don't feel clean unless I wash. I'm still trying to figure out the best routine for me though.

wispe
January 29th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I belong here right now! I'm washing every 3-5 days right now. While I was still bleaching my hair I was down to every 5-7 days but since I'm growing fresh hair out I need to retrain my scalp to deal with a less frequent wash schedule. I can technically go 5 days right now but I hate how flat my hair goes; updos are more flattering on me if they have a little volume at the crown. I'm trying to remember that lace-braiding my bangs helps solve a lot of that issue, but I'd rather my hair just got with the program and behaved itself. :rolleyes: Thankfully for my length I'm getting much better at scalp-only washes now, so the ends don't get wet quite as often.

lapushka
January 29th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I belong here right now! I'm washing every 3-5 days right now. While I was still bleaching my hair I was down to every 5-7 days but since I'm growing fresh hair out I need to retrain my scalp to deal with a less frequent wash schedule. I can technically go 5 days right now but I hate how flat my hair goes; updos are more flattering on me if they have a little volume at the crown. I'm trying to remember that lace-braiding my bangs helps solve a lot of that issue, but I'd rather my hair just got with the program and behaved itself. :rolleyes: Thankfully for my length I'm getting much better at scalp-only washes now, so the ends don't get wet quite as often.

Maybe it's because the bleach dried your hair out, that you were able to go longer. Now that your hair is all virgin, it is going to get oilier faster. I had that too, back when I had a perm and back when I had bleach in my hair. Both times. Sometimes it's not a matter of simple retraining, but rather it has to do with the hair/scalp itself.

Hairkay
January 29th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Oh, hun, no need to explain. It's OK to wash daily!!! And it must not be easy with those allergies. :flower:

Thanks Lapushka,
it's just that I'm aware that online WO isn't everyone's definition of washing. Thankfully on LHC all methods are welcome.:)

wispe
January 29th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Maybe it's because the bleach dried your hair out, that you were able to go longer. Now that your hair is all virgin, it is going to get oilier faster. I had that too, back when I had a perm and back when I had bleach in my hair. Both times. Sometimes it's not a matter of simple retraining, but rather it has to do with the hair/scalp itself.

I think that's exactly right. I was able to stretch my washes further because my scalp & hair was drier than it is now that I've quit bleaching. Right now it's a balancing act between properly moisturizing the bleached lengths + wash frequency. I'm compromising by using some product higher up the strand (to my bleach line) and washing the scalp a bit more frequently. I suspect as my hair grows and my bleach line ends up further away from the scalp (and therefore oil/product doesn't get so close to it), I'll be able to stretch washes a little further. I guess I'm going to find out. The last time I had virgin hair longer than APL-BSL was early in high school, and I daily WC'd then. I'm relearning what my hair wants as I go. (:

griffindoor
January 30th, 2017, 11:45 AM
I wash about 2-3 times a week because my hair feels really gross if I don't. I have short hair so the oil takes over very quickly.

lithostoic
January 30th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Feel much better after a water rinse + conditioner. My hair and skin have been pretty dry.

mellsss91
January 30th, 2017, 02:01 PM
I wash my hair 2-3 times a week. With sulfate free shampoo. Using the CSC method.
I take a leave in conditioning for 1 a week. Usally with pure coconut oil!

abribun
January 30th, 2017, 02:51 PM
When I was first interested in growing my hair out I started washing it every other day. Before, I'd wash it every day but now I'm trying to do it every 3 days (twice a week), and I've noticed that since I've been doing this my hair has been much softer, gotten a tiny bit thicker, and has even grown a bit faster. I hope to be able to strech it to every 4 days or even once a week but since my hair is thin and fine I just don't know it'll work!

mizukitty
January 30th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Every other day or every 3 days is a must. I alternate CWC (or pre poo oiling WC) with just CO washing. So I only really use shampoo 1-2 times per week and it's sulfate free. With my water softener (I hear the angels singing), I can see a *huge* difference in mineral build up, so I'm cutting chelation with Ice Shine way down (used to be biweekly.) Sulfates are only really used for my scalp, so I use those "as needed."

Aidin
January 30th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I CO-wash my hair twice a week and shampoo once a twice a month.
I want to stretch my washings to once a week, but I'm afraid my curly hair will be very tangled and feel super dry if left unattended for so long.

Dark40
January 30th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Well I think as a daily washer I certainly fit here. I sometimes CO but either way something happens to my hair in one way shape or form when I have my morning shower. I've done this since I was about 14 and I'm not gonna stop. It is a scalp only wash and I only wash the bulk if I am clarifying. I use conditioner to rinse out heavy oils, as it works better than shampoo anyway. I love freshly cleaned hair, it feels nice and it smells nice. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm as my hair isn't dry and looks healthy and shiny despite the hair dye.

I did try stretching when I joined here as I don't get oily scalp every day but the itches....it felt like I had lice. On the days I didn't wash I just personally didn't feel clean, obviously that's in my head as you don't need to wash your hair to be clean, but after daily washing for 500 years it's hard to get your head around not doing it :)

I have to totally agree with on all notes!!! I wash daily too. Because, I always like for my hair to be freshly washed, and smell clean. I've been doing it ever since I was 10 years old. My mom would often get on me about doing that by always telling me that I'm drying out my relaxed hair but I wasn't. My hair would always often feel and look greasy. So, that's why I would do it.

MudderOfDragunz
January 30th, 2017, 04:50 PM
I Shampoo and condition wash on Tuesdays and Saturdays! I used to be a once a week washer and just couldn't deal with my hair, it was oily on top and static-filled on the bottom, but this seems to be a pretty good balance for me :)

I don't know if it really counts as washing, but I work out every weekday, so I rinse all the sweat and ick out of my hair and condition the length for moisture every day too. I like the feeling of a little dampness in my hair and it behaves better too.

Seija
January 30th, 2017, 09:46 PM
My hair looks, feels and is just better all around when I wash daily or every second day. I don't think I'll be attempting to go longer than that anytime soon.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 30th, 2017, 11:55 PM
I use shampoo bars so washing every 2 -3 days isnt a big deal imo. I need to because my scalp gets itchy, my problem is though, I could probably stretch if my scalp did not get so itchy. I need to use my medicated shampoo again, I have not used it in two weeks and the shampoo bars cant do it alone.

starlamelissa
January 31st, 2017, 09:17 AM
when my hair was colored red, as it was for much of my time on LHC till now, I washed it every other day. but now as a bright blonde, I find it looks best with a daily wash. so far, I am not seeing any real damage. I wash it at night and I am heavy handed with the silicone serum afterward.

school of fish
January 31st, 2017, 09:28 AM
So I threw a shower cap on this morning and showered without getting my hair wet, then braided and put it up for the day afterwards and it's driving me CRAZY, hahaha!!! I know what I've done today is standard practice here on the board and I know my hair is clean because I S&C'd it just yesterday, but I just can't get used to this feeling. I'm so used to the freshly washed feeling, or even water rinsed, on a daily basis - anything longer than that feels unpleasant to me...

My sebum is just so very waxy and abundant, and I'm hyper-aware of its presence. I likely have some sensory sensitivites too - I'm sure this heightens it for me ;)

Adavidal
January 31st, 2017, 10:30 AM
In terms of scalp oiliness, I can get away with only washing once a week. But my ends get very sad and dry and I lose all my wave after day three, so I usually wash on Wednesday morning and Saturday afternoon. I also do a pre-wash oiling and let coconut oil, almond oil and Argan oil along with aloe in the scalp, soak in overnight. If I don't do this, my ends get super dry and I get split ends very easily, so washing twice a week is what works for me.

Inga-Marjukka
January 31st, 2017, 07:13 PM
I'm definitely in this club. I like washing my hair every day, nothing beats the feeling of bouncy freshly conditioned lengths! I do have a problem though, since my scalp is so oily I really have to wash daily, so it isn't really a choice.

girlcat36
January 31st, 2017, 09:36 PM
I started washing daily a month ago, and my hair has never been better.
It flies in the face of everything I've learned at LHC, but I can't argue with the results.
And I dry it under a hooded dryer. Also a no-no :D
I've been at this long hair thing for 10 years---by the book LHC stuff; but my hair seemed to hate all of it.
For the record, I have babyfine, low porosity hair,

Arctic
February 1st, 2017, 03:03 AM
I have recently started to be able to wash every second day, and now my second day hair is reliably great looking! I believe this is partially age but for a big part probably about twice daily alcohol-containing scalp treatment I need to use, which seems to dry my scalp just enough (doesn't make it dry, but less oily). I have been really liking this less washing!

Arctic
February 1st, 2017, 03:15 AM
It flies in the face of everything I've learned at LHC, but I can't argue with the results.
I've been at this long hair thing for 10 years---by the book LHC stuff; but my hair seemed to hate all of it.

Great to see you! My hair has always liked frequent washings! Now my hair type is more coarse and poofy and I have started to see how some people say they like their second day hair better than wash day hair. But when my hair was finer and sleeker, and even years after it started to change (untill just recently, in fact) I have always felt that my hair looks, feels and behaves the best right after washing! (I believe my old hair type was low porosity too (plus fine and straight), now it's probably more on the normal porosity range, I assume, more coarse with mixture of textures from fine to coarse, from straight to wavy).

Kaya
February 1st, 2017, 03:54 AM
I'm another daily washer. :o Grew up doing it and will continue to do so. Albeit, these days it's a CO-wash versus a full-on shampoo!

For me, it's just ingrained into my routine and I never quite feel completely clean unless I get my scalp and hair wet. And if that happens, I have to use conditioner, otherwise I'd never get a comb through it, much less my fingers! :lol: (Of course, I also oil daily so CO-washing is as much about detangling as it is about washing out the oil!)

The few times I've stretched washes were completely unintentional. I had my hair braided at Renaissance fests, and wanted to wear the braids for as long as possible. So I'd keep the braids in for up to 4-5 days, I reckon. I was always happy to take them down and wash, cause my scalp would end up incredibly itchy and smelly.

I may consider trying to stretch washes as my hair gets longer, but otherwise, I'm going to maintain my daily washing habit for as long as possible! :)

girlcat36
February 1st, 2017, 07:33 AM
Hi Arctic!! :D

Why did your hair change?

Arctic
February 1st, 2017, 07:46 AM
Hi Arctic!! :D

Why did your hair change?HI! Gosh I wish I knew why it changed! I guess one of those hormone-related or what ever strange reasons related things. No medical reasons have been found. It's been very interesting to experience two very different hair types and it's fun to be able to tell good sides of each first hand! The hair type change started slowly something like 8-10 years ago, at first I thought it was henna, untill I grew henna out and my strands were still thicker :D

My friend was all envious about my strands getting thicker and more voluminous, she was like I want that too, how did you do it?! Lol!

Ophidian
February 13th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I've been a weekly washer for about a year (various methods), but I'm going to experiment with adding a mid-week WO wash to my Sunday high-dilution S&C wash because I think my scalp might prefer that. If this goes well I plan on doing primarily water washes with shampoo periodically as needed.

lithostoic
February 14th, 2017, 07:49 AM
My hair feels great after a wash yesterday. I haven't taken it down from my sleep braid yet, but I can already tell it's going to have volume c: Finally starting to enjoy my medium texture. I was so used to being a finey, that my texture change made it unmanageable. But I've learned to work with it!

Dark40
February 16th, 2017, 04:53 PM
I'm definitely in this club. I like washing my hair every day, nothing beats the feeling of bouncy freshly conditioned lengths! I do have a problem though, since my scalp is so oily I really have to wash daily, so it isn't really a choice.

That's me too....I have to wash daily too. Because, after a day or so my hair starts to feel gummy or greasy, and my hair and scalp just feels gross. So, my hair and scalp is much happier getting shampooed with shampoo, sulfates, and conditioner. Sometimes I co-wash too, and that helps my hair tremendously.

likelikepenny
February 16th, 2017, 05:02 PM
I have to wash daily to cleanse my scalp but also to moisturize my hair. I can go a week without washing but my scalp starts to itch a little.

Hairkay
February 16th, 2017, 05:20 PM
I have to wash daily to cleanse my scalp but also to moisturize my hair. I can go a week without washing but my scalp starts to itch a little.

That's the joy of frequent washing. I don't need no other moisturiser.

vampyyri
February 16th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Well, I've moved onto a new schedule for washing... full wash on Wednesdays and Sundays with scalp only washes inbetween as needed. My hair is enjoying this so much better! When I was doing full washes once a week, my hair was tangling like crazy, and I do most of my detangling in the shower and it was getting difficult to finger comb. Winter has not been kind on my hair for sure, but it's what your hair wants, not what you want in the end.

*Wednesday*
February 16th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I love the feeling of fresh washed hair. I don't wash my hair daily. I wash normally twice weekly but no more than three times a week. I can say, by the time I need to wash, it feels so good. My bangs are greasy by the time I need to wash. I pin them back and I'm bunning on two day old hair.

iceflavore
February 16th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I wash my hair three times a week. My hair seems to do pretty well with this level of washing, so I don't feel much need to change it. It does seem to help my hair reset as opposed to how it gets kind of limp after it's been a while. Compared to growing up and what I was taught then though, washing so rarely is being practically negligent. :rolleyes: My hair definitely does look best the day after it's washed. (It has lots of volume the day it's washed, but my hair's thick to start so I don't want the volume.)

Lauraes
February 16th, 2017, 06:01 PM
I wash twice a week. Any less and my hair is a greasy, crunchy mess.

Dark40
February 16th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Me too, likelikepenny. I feel that both my hair and scalp are happier when I frequently wash it daily. I can't a whole week without washing it. I start to get an itchy scalp, and I just love freshly washed hair.:D

Dark40
February 16th, 2017, 08:22 PM
Lauraes, your hair is amazingly gorgeous!!!! I love the natural hair color any everything!!! Also, it's shine!

enting
March 30th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I wash on average twice a week. I should probably wash it even more frequently for the sake of my scalp, but my hair is super dry and I'm not certain it would do better with more washing. My scalp gets itchy a lot, to the extent that my hair can be soaking wet but my scalp is drying out already and beginning to itch. Water left on my skin anywhere makes me itch :( I should probably see a dermatologist about it. I am not certain, but I think my scalp does best with being oiled before washing and washing frequently. Sometimes moisturizing it after washing helps as well.

Rebel Rebel
March 30th, 2017, 03:45 PM
When I was younger I washed my hair with harsh shampoos every single day, whether I needed to or not. Now, I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and switch up products each time. My problem is that when I workout or run, I get very very sweaty. I think my hair being so fine/thin also get drenched easier and I simply must wash it and my scalp. Sometimes it's more frequent depending on my activity. The positive side is that I enjoy conditioning my hair frequently rather than waiting all week. I find my ends get crunchy even with oil if I go too long. I know I've mentioned this a lot (annoyingly perhaps ) in my short time on LHC, but my silk pillowcase and silk sleep cap have really allowed me to stretch my hair washing when needed. My hair looks so much better/fresher in the morning.

likelikepenny
March 30th, 2017, 06:09 PM
When I was younger I washed my hair with harsh shampoos every single day, whether I needed to or not. Now, I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and switch up products each time. My problem is that when I workout or run, I get very very sweaty. I think my hair being so fine/thin also get drenched easier and I simply must wash it and my scalp. Sometimes it's more frequent depending on my activity. The positive side is that I enjoy conditioning my hair frequently rather than waiting all week. I find my ends get crunchy even with oil if I go too long. I know I've mentioned this a lot (annoyingly perhaps ) in my short time on LHC, but my silk pillowcase and silk sleep cap have really allowed me to stretch my hair washing when needed. My hair looks so much better/fresher in the morning.

Have you tried scalp only washing?

Rebel Rebel
March 30th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Have you tried scalp only washing?

Yes I do something like that. I usually put my cream shampoo on the length then use a "regular" shampoo on scalp only. It works great for keeping my ends more hydrated and yet a nice clean scalp.

Siri
March 30th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I wash my hair every other day because I love the feeling of my hair being clean! :happydance:

likelikepenny
March 30th, 2017, 07:45 PM
I wash my hair every other day because I love the feeling of my hair being clean! :happydance:

Me too :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 30th, 2017, 07:54 PM
I guess washing 2-3 days a week is considered frequent washing?
Hm. I wash every 2 days, usually. Sometimes it ends up being 4-5 days because I get so BUSY I just don't have the time.
I don't oil, which works out much better for me, but it also means my hair feels dry between washes. My hair tends to lose moisture as time goes on.
I use to wash every 4-5 days and that was just too TOO long. So every 2-3 days depending on how oily my bangs are.

lizardspots
March 30th, 2017, 08:35 PM
I wash every 3 days, with a fringe/top of head wash every day. I need a spritz of dry shampoo on day 3. I've tried for a long time to stretch to 4 days, but until my hair is long enough to manage a scalp wash, I just can't bear my greasy noggin. The oiliness is so obvious on my straight black thin hair.

Andthetalltrees
March 31st, 2017, 12:40 AM
I wash every 2 to 3 days, Sometimes more, Sometimes less, I don't have a consistent routine with it at all. I can't stretch my washes very long because my scalp gets inflamed and angry. I tried once a week for awhile but I got sores on my scalp and my hair just got dryer and dryer, So it's not worth it in the end.

likelikepenny
March 31st, 2017, 05:16 AM
I really need to stretch my washes to at least every other day. I just love washing my hair! It's the only time I play with it lol.

lapushka
March 31st, 2017, 05:25 AM
I really need to stretch my washes to at least every other day. I just love washing my hair! It's the only time I play with it lol.

If it is the time where you can relax, then keep it as is. You could maybe have two days a week where you go longer. I'd try maybe one day out of the week to go one day longer, to start with. Go slow if you are wanting to stretch washes!

school of fish
March 31st, 2017, 06:59 AM
I'm experimenting with my wash routine a little bit... Instead of alternating a S&C day with a CO day, I'm cutting out the CO and just doing WO followed by my usual acidic rinse. So far I *think* I like it, but I have to test drive it for a while to know for sure :)

This really isn't a bid to stretch washes for me - it's actually an attempt to cut down on product ;) If I could be reducing the amount of conditioner I go through I'd be happy... and I believe I've managed over 3 years to rehab my hair to the point where I no longer need to condition every single day to restore moisture :D

So I'm still technically washing daily, I've just switched up *how* I'm washing ;)

Faustine
March 31st, 2017, 10:00 AM
I wash my hair every 3 days, it's really my limit. Above that my hair gets visibly greasy, I can't deal with it.
Dry shampoo irritate my scalp, so I can't use them unfortunately for me.

dansyl
March 31st, 2017, 10:01 AM
I was actually thinking last night about washing my hair more often. I was now every 7-8 days, but by then my ends feel horrible.

wispe
March 31st, 2017, 11:59 AM
I'm still washing about 2-3x a week. Sometimes I wash every 3rd day, mostly I wait 4-5 between washes. Depends on how I feel like styling it. I'm not sure I want to actually stretch them further; my fine light hair shows grease so easily. Plus as the summer comes I expect I'll be a solid 3x/week washer - I cannot deal with sweaty scalp for long or my eczema gets mad. Thinking about alternating full and scalp-only washes for the summer, to spare my ends the trouble.

unheardletters
March 31st, 2017, 12:18 PM
I wash my hair every 2-3 days, depending on if I can get away with greasy hair for a day or not. I used to have to wash twice a day or I would get acne all over my face, especially on my forehead. So I'm glad it's not that oily anymore.

- Lizzy -
March 31st, 2017, 12:26 PM
I didnt know more than once a week was frequent ;)
I dont have schedule, but I more go by how my hair looks and feels. Im trying water only and im still in the adjustment phase where it can get greasy. I normally wash every 3-6 days.

Pamberpestana
March 31st, 2017, 12:44 PM
A question for all of you:

Exactly what kind of "damage" does frequently washing do on the hair?

Does it simply wear down the cuticle due to wetting and drying frequently? Those who don't wash as frequently as they'd like to, is it because frequently washing is drying? Or is it a scalp issue?
I wash my hair 2-3 times a week because I can't stop running my my fingers through my hair, and seeing how long it's grown since the last time I check (minutes to hours prior haha)

If I never touched my hair I'd probably wash my hair 1-2 times a week.

I hope these questions are okay, I hope I worded them the way I was thinking in my head!

I am finding however that the longer my hair gets, the less I need to wash (although I do anyways because I'm trying to fade a red semi permanent) if my hair gets a little greasy, I'll just put it up for a day if I don't want to wash yet.

I suppose I haven't found my balance of how often to wash since my length is changing.

Sorry for a scrampled comment haha!

_fred_
March 31st, 2017, 01:06 PM
I belong here :)

For so long, I washed my hair every other day in fear of it becoming greasy, but recently I've realised it probably doesn't need that all the time, and I've been trying to find a better balance.

For a few months now I've been trying stretching washes out to every third day. It sometimes works, but not always. So right now I'm at every two to three days, depending on how I feel. I'm still in the early stages or trying to work out the best thing for my scalp.

Like many people in this thread, I like washing my hair. Not sure why, it's just nice? My hair responds well to it, as long as I dry it right.

likelikepenny
March 31st, 2017, 02:58 PM
A question for all of you:

Exactly what kind of "damage" does frequently washing do on the hair?

Does it simply wear down the cuticle due to wetting and drying frequently? Those who don't wash as frequently as they'd like to, is it because frequently washing is drying? Or is it a scalp issue?
I wash my hair 2-3 times a week because I can't stop running my my fingers through my hair, and seeing how long it's grown since the last time I check (minutes to hours prior haha)

If I never touched my hair I'd probably wash my hair 1-2 times a week.

I hope these questions are okay, I hope I worded them the way I was thinking in my head!

I am finding however that the longer my hair gets, the less I need to wash (although I do anyways because I'm trying to fade a red semi permanent) if my hair gets a little greasy, I'll just put it up for a day if I don't want to wash yet.

I suppose I haven't found my balance of how often to wash since my length is changing.

Sorry for a scrampled comment haha!

It can cause mechanical damage, as in messing with your hair too much. Or it can cause hygral fatigue from the constant expanding of the cuticle.

Some wash for scalp issues, other to moisturize (using mainly alternative washing such as water only or conditioner only), because it feels good, or all of the above like me.

There's no right or wrong way to do things, you just have to listen to your hair in how often it needs to be washed.

lapushka
March 31st, 2017, 03:32 PM
It can cause mechanical damage, as in messing with your hair too much. Or it can cause hygral fatigue from the constant expanding of the cuticle.

Some wash for scalp issues, other to moisturize (using mainly alternative washing such as water only or conditioner only), because it feels good, or all of the above like me.

There's no right or wrong way to do things, you just have to listen to your hair in how often it needs to be washed.

Mechanical damage as in more prone to splits too if you don't moisturize your hair well enough.

ArtificiallyRed
April 2nd, 2017, 03:06 PM
I usually wash every 3 days. I find now though that I don't need to wash as often because I'm back on sulfates for SD.

AutobotsAttack
April 2nd, 2017, 06:43 PM
I wash every other day with conditioner, so because my entire head of hair from scalp to tip is constantly dry. I'll use shampoo on heavy training days where I sweat. Most sulfate free. Then air dry and bun. A lot of people say hair of my texture shouldn't be washed more than once a week, but I disagree and think the statement should be changed to "more than once a week with shampoo". Because the very nature of my hair is prone to just crunchy, dryness. I've got three different conditioners for certain occasions and try my best to keep them stocked.

Hairkay
April 3rd, 2017, 06:59 AM
I wash every other day with conditioner, so because my entire head of hair from scalp to tip is constantly dry. I'll use shampoo on heavy training days where I sweat. Most sulfate free. Then air dry and bun. A lot of people say hair of my texture shouldn't be washed more than once a week, but I disagree and think the statement should be changed to "more than once a week with shampoo". Because the very nature of my hair is prone to just crunchy, dryness. I've got three different conditioners for certain occasions and try my best to keep them stocked.

I always interpret it to be no more than once a week with shampoo. That's what my family did. Everyday water rinse and shampoo once on the weekend.

pandabarrier
April 5th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Now that the weather is warmer I have to wash every 2 days. Last week I stretched wash to four days, not on purpose, it was for laziness and tiredness over the weekend. My scalp itched so much! And the shedding was crazy.
I'm also back to sulphate shampoos for now. Fortunately the scalp isn't itchy anymore and the shedding decreased. :pray:

Anya15
April 6th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I wash twice a week. And now that it's summer and very hot and humid, I do a water rinse whenever I sweat too much between washes.

Tawny1992
April 7th, 2017, 12:44 AM
I wash every other day with either a shampoo bar or baby shampoo (I try to go for something really gentle) and then a moisturising conditioner. I always follow this up with a couple of drops of lightweight oil on soaking wet hair (just the ends and halfway up the length) and, in my mind, that protects it a little as it dries. My hair is a bit of an oil slick already by day 2 so I use a dry shampoo if I'm leaving the house. My scalp seems happy and I've been dong this forever and haven't trimmed since last July (about 9 months) and the breakage and split ends have been minimal.

Stepo_NiNha
April 7th, 2017, 02:48 AM
I wash every other day to 3 times a week with a harsh sulfate shampoo and my hair is shinier than ever

NikitaJane
April 7th, 2017, 03:31 AM
I wash 2-3 times per week using sulphate free shampoo and conditioner. I may start doing water rinses in between though for when I want my hair to feel clean but without using shampoo.

Arctic
April 7th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Since I started using silicone again (testing if it'd help with tnagliness on longer term) it looks like I should go back to daily washing. :( I am not very happy about it, it has been so great to be able to wash only every other day or so, and reliably have good second day hair. :(

Kat
April 7th, 2017, 07:39 AM
I wash 3-4 times per week now. It used to be once a week, but I could get away with that in Michigan where I never sweated much. In Thailand, I found out the hard way that there's no way I can go without washing the sweat and oil out of my hair (it literally stinks if I don't).

I CO-wash 2-3 days during the week (I have a workout three days per week so I try to wash on at least two of those days). On one of the weekend days I'll wash with shampoo (but I need to get a shampoo with sulfates).

sweetaha
April 7th, 2017, 08:28 AM
i usually wash my hair three times a week because i used to have very bad dandruff , i wash my hair with shampoo with zinc which is amazing cleared my hair from second wash

The-Young-Maid
April 7th, 2017, 10:16 AM
The past couple years or so I've been increasing my washing frequency. I've worked up from once a week (about 2 years 2011-2013?) to twice weekly(a yearish 2014-early2016) to every other day currently. My hair has never been better and my scalp is happier then it ever was. It wasn't right for me but it was one LHC thing I tried. MY SCALP NEEDS SULFATES! Oh well. It is wonderful to have my hair growing in much thicker because of a happy scalp. You can see the difference in my length. I was taking hair, skin and nail vitamins regularly the whole time. Theres two distinct layers of new growth, shoulders(near daily washing) and BSL. I'm maintaining at Waist (30''). And I've only gotten the odd split end occasionally.

school of fish
April 7th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I'm experimenting with my wash routine a little bit... Instead of alternating a S&C day with a CO day, I'm cutting out the CO and just doing WO followed by my usual acidic rinse. So far I *think* I like it, but I have to test drive it for a while to know for sure :)

This really isn't a bid to stretch washes for me - it's actually an attempt to cut down on product ;) If I could be reducing the amount of conditioner I go through I'd be happy... and I believe I've managed over 3 years to rehab my hair to the point where I no longer need to condition every single day to restore moisture :D

So I'm still technically washing daily, I've just switched up *how* I'm washing ;)

The experiment continues - my hair looks fine on the WO day but I'm not crazy about how it feels... I'll keep with it for another little while and see if things balance out a bit more. We're having some pretty wild shifts in weather with the change of seasons so that may well be a factor...

shaiyeh
April 7th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I wash my hair about 2-3 times a week, usually 2. (also hi, new person here!) I wash more if I've been using hairspray, which I do occasionally - mostly when I film YT videos. It gets washed out straight after to minimize damage ^^
I'm atm looking into doing just scalp washes, and different kinds of rinses as that's new to me. My hair is very dry naturally, and I have a fair bit of damage from dyes, so trying to find ways to take care of my hair and get it healthier, including when washing.

pandabarrier
April 7th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Since I started using silicone again (testing if it'd help with tnagliness on longer term) it looks like I should go back to daily washing. :( I am not very happy about it, it has been so great to be able to wash only every other day or so, and reliably have good second day hair. :(
Ah, that's what happened to my hair too, to a certain degree, but I didn't even now. I started using cones some months ago to help with tangles. That explains why my hair looks greasy faster (and now the warmer weather).

mizukitty
April 7th, 2017, 08:03 PM
I'm trying to stretch my washes by one day. I've been doing it gradually, started by stretching it by 12 hours or so. So far, no scalp annoyance. Yay! My ends should be happier. By day 3, my length looks awesome. I reckon it's just my sebum smoothing the length. If only the scalp didn't look so horrendous :lol:

Dark40
April 7th, 2017, 08:50 PM
The past couple years or so I've been increasing my washing frequency. I've worked up from once a week (about 2 years 2011-2013?) to twice weekly(a yearish 2014-early2016) to every other day currently. My hair has never been better and my scalp is happier then it ever was. It wasn't right for me but it was one LHC thing I tried. MY SCALP NEEDS SULFATES! Oh well. It is wonderful to have my hair growing in much thicker because of a happy scalp. You can see the difference in my length. I was taking hair, skin and nail vitamins regularly the whole time. Theres two distinct layers of new growth, shoulders(near daily washing) and BSL. I'm maintaining at Waist (30''). And I've only gotten the odd split end occasionally.

I at times wash my hair every other day too but sometimes I'll increase it to everyday. Especially, in the summer months. My hair and scalp are happier if I keep it clean that way. Plus, I just love to wash my hair, and I just love to look and feel of freshly washed hair. Also, the fresh scent as well.

C_Bookworm
April 7th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Every day for me, a basic shampoo and conditioner. I love the feel and smell and movement right after it's been cleaned. And honestly, my hair is perfectly happy and healthy with frequent washes.

Aredhel
April 8th, 2017, 06:09 AM
I wash my hair about 2-3 times a week, usually 2. (also hi, new person here!) I wash more if I've been using hairspray, which I do occasionally - mostly when I film YT videos. It gets washed out straight after to minimize damage ^^
I'm atm looking into doing just scalp washes, and different kinds of rinses as that's new to me. My hair is very dry naturally, and I have a fair bit of damage from dyes, so trying to find ways to take care of my hair and get it healthier, including when washing.

Have you tried the CWC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421)? I have an oily scalp but dry lengths, so this is the best way for me to protect my ends while I wash my scalp. :)

Natashap
April 9th, 2017, 01:48 AM
Now that the weather is warmer I have to wash every 2 days. Last week I stretched wash to four days, not on purpose, it was for laziness and tiredness over the weekend. My scalp itched so much! And the shedding was crazy.
I'm also back to sulphate shampoos for now. Fortunately the scalp isn't itchy anymore and the shedding decreased. :pray:

same here ,my hair loves sulphates.

Natashap
April 9th, 2017, 01:51 AM
I usually wash every 3 days. I find now though that I don't need to wash as often because I'm back on sulfates for SD.

I guess any scalp issues love harsher cleaning otherwise sulphate free shampoo would be gentle and good for us.

From daily washer to now once a week and flaring is keeping me on my toes.

Mlarmour
April 10th, 2017, 08:14 PM
I wash my hair either daily or every other day. When I was at uni I used to wash it every 3 days or so but suffered with a super itchy scalp. If I go beyond every other day, my scalp becomes very itchy. I wash daily if my scalp has flared up or if I've been using hair products like hairspray or shine sprays as I've found if I don't wash them out, the next day I have a super itchy scalp. Even if I'm in a flare, I wash my hair every other day - usually with help - otherwise the itchiness drives me crazy.

Aredhel
April 10th, 2017, 09:33 PM
I wash my hair either daily or every other day. When I was at uni I used to wash it every 3 days or so but suffered with a super itchy scalp. If I go beyond every other day, my scalp becomes very itchy. I wash daily if my scalp has flared up or if I've been using hair products like hairspray or shine sprays as I've found if I don't wash them out, the next day I have a super itchy scalp. Even if I'm in a flare, I wash my hair every other day - usually with help - otherwise the itchiness drives me crazy.

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but I recently discovered that when I have random itching spells in the middle of my wash cycle, rinsing my scalp with ACV helps immensely. I might not be able to stretch my washes as frequently otherwise. :)

Aunty Miki
April 11th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Aredhel, I'm going to try ACV to see if that will help mine, since H&S quit working.

lapushka
April 11th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Aredhel, I'm going to try ACV to see if that will help mine, since H&S quit working.

From watching YT lately, there appears to be a new H&S out, the "clinical strength"? Maybe try that?

Mlarmour
April 11th, 2017, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure if this will work for you, but I recently discovered that when I have random itching spells in the middle of my wash cycle, rinsing my scalp with ACV helps immensely. I might not be able to stretch my washes as frequently otherwise. :)

I haven't tried an ACV rinse. I might have to give it a try, if I can get my hands on it. I don't think ACV is widely available where I live but I'll have a look.

cactus89
April 11th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Frequent washer here!

I wash every day unless I'm sick or otherwise immobile. I'm a runner and exercise most days, but even without all of the sweat my scalp is oily and will stink to high heaven if I go more than 24 hours without a wash. The itch and scalp acne, as others have mentioned, are also unbearable.

When I grew my hair out from pixie to MBL, my stylist couldn't believe, given the health of my hair, that I washed it every day. I think we are programmed to think that one-size-fits-all when it comes to hair care; I spent my adolescence trying to stretch my washes, but my scalp and skin are naturally oily, and my hair is fine and straight. My texture doesn't lend itself to that kind of routine- my hair is so much happier and healthier with a daily wash and condition.

Granted, I use a sulfate and fragrance free shampoo (Whole Food 365), which probably has something to do with my ability to tolerate my routine.

Dark40
April 11th, 2017, 07:48 PM
i usually wash my hair three times a week because i used to have very bad dandruff , i wash my hair with shampoo with zinc which is amazing cleared my hair from second wash

Have you tried Head and Shoulders Shampoo and Conditioner for dandruff? It really works my hair and scalp wonders!!!

Aunty Miki
April 11th, 2017, 08:37 PM
My hair really hates daily washes, but my scalp eats it up. I'm thinking of maybe a good daily scritch and rinse and a twice weekly scalp shampoo and full length condition just to keep my scalp as clean as possible while not killing my hair.

Fleurish
April 11th, 2017, 08:51 PM
I work from home, so luckily I can stretch my washes more than I used to be able to when I was out in public everyday. :p Now I typically go every three days, but it depends on the season (summer warrants more washing for me) and work-out schedule. It also seems to depend on the products I'm using, and I've changed up the routine again recently, so we'll see how that goes!

Qadupae
April 11th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Almost daily washer here, I go to the gym whenever I can and need to shower and poo my scalp because of it. There are occasional days off where I don't wash, but otherwise it's about 5-6 days a week of washing.

Henrietta
April 12th, 2017, 06:55 AM
I'm joining! I'll tell you my story soon. At the moment I'm too sleepy to do it coherently :)

elfgirl
April 18th, 2017, 12:22 PM
I'm joining in, too! ^_^

I'm an every day washer here! Mostly because I went off the Pill in September and am in the process of adjusting to a chemical free lifestyle (was on the Pill for over a decade due to medical reasons), and my hair is super oily in the process as my body gets back to normal.

So, if I wash it even every other day, it's gross, disgusting, and just bleh. So for now, unless something changes, I have to wash it every day or else it looks super bad :/

Sometimes I can go every two days, but it's not the best...

likelikepenny
April 18th, 2017, 03:37 PM
I'm now stretching my washes to every other day so I'm not having as much mechanical breakage. My best friend with long curly hair washes her hair every other day and I think it's a good example to follow.

Dark40
April 21st, 2017, 02:47 PM

Me too! I also love to wash my hair everyday too. I feel that if I stretch my washes through experimenting I shed more hairs than I would if it was clean. When it is clean I shed less.

Dark40
April 21st, 2017, 02:49 PM
Today I've washed and conditioned my hair with Aussie Mega Moist shampoo and conditioner. It feels and smells amazingly clean!

mizukitty
April 21st, 2017, 03:32 PM
Ugh, the every 3 days washing didn't work out for me. My scalp is just *too* oily! It wants to produce lots of sebum, end of story. The longer I let it accumulate the more my SD flares and the more gross I feel.

But what can you do, right?

I'm back to trying scalp only washes. This time around I'm doing a very low ponytail, tucking it behind my bra strap, and washing like 3/4 of the front of my scalp. From the hairline to just under the crown (sides included.) I can't really get under the base of the ponytail. It's very easy to do and even if it doesn't clean the ENTIRE thing, it's been great to incorporate it between washes. If I try to wash my entire scalp only, I find the rest of my hair just gets so wet that it makes more sense to wash the length too :P

Dark40
April 21st, 2017, 03:47 PM
My hair really hates daily washes, but my scalp eats it up. I'm thinking of maybe a good daily scritch and rinse and a twice weekly scalp shampoo and full length condition just to keep my scalp as clean as possible while not killing my hair.

That sounds like a good routine. My hair and scalp loves daily washes! And, my hair behaves much better when I wash everyday. When I don' wash it I start to lose some hairs or shed more. But when it's clean and well-conditioned I only find 2 strands of hair in my comb.

Dark40
April 21st, 2017, 03:51 PM
Yeah, 3 days of washing doesn't work for me either mizukitty. I really need go back to washing everyday, and yes I do wash the whole length like what you agreed to do. You might as well wash the whole length as to your hair getting wet.

likelikepenny
April 21st, 2017, 05:58 PM
This week I've successfully washed my hair three times. I think it's a good routine as I can wash every other day and once on the weekend for a deep treatment.

Twig
April 22nd, 2017, 05:54 AM
I wear a hair cover most days. For that reason, I can't go more than two days without washing, despite the fact that my hair is on dry frizzy side.

likelikepenny
April 22nd, 2017, 11:02 AM
I'm planning on starting a regular exercise routine again, so there goes my three times a week washing schedule.

I think stretching washes will be a winter thing as it's colder and I'm less inclined to wash. Now that summer is approaching, I'll probably wash more often.

wispe
April 22nd, 2017, 12:07 PM
Did a scalp-only wash today. Transitioning to a new wash schedule, since summer weather and all that. Plus my ends just don't need to be wet that often. Full wash every 4-5 days, with a scalp-only wash in the middle.

likelikepenny IDK how your hair likes getting wet between washes, but I know that if I get gross and sweaty I can usually get an extra day out of a water rinse just on my scalp, to get the sweat off.

Joyful Mystery
April 22nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
I've tried stretching my washes but found my hair is happier when I wash it every other day. I have ridiculously sensitive skin and use mild products. When my hair gets longer I'll try scalp-only washes. It's all about what works for you and your hair.

likelikepenny
April 22nd, 2017, 07:17 PM
Did a scalp-only wash today. Transitioning to a new wash schedule, since summer weather and all that. Plus my ends just don't need to be wet that often. Full wash every 4-5 days, with a scalp-only wash in the middle.

likelikepenny IDK how your hair likes getting wet between washes, but I know that if I get gross and sweaty I can usually get an extra day out of a water rinse just on my scalp, to get the sweat off.

I'll have to try that out, or maybe try shampoo bars. Maybe I'll head over to the water mostly thread and see if theres more info there.

Joyful Mystery
April 22nd, 2017, 07:26 PM
I'm very happy with the products I use and my routine. I suffered for years with skin allergies and it was hard to find products that work for my hair that didn't cause irritation. Every other day for me is great.

Natashap
April 22nd, 2017, 10:33 PM
I have eczema,seborrhic dermatitis,autoimmune(lup) and thyroid issues.

My scalp is extremely sensitive to extreme weather changes and on thinning mission.

With my health challenges ,i am going back to frequent washing as my scalp loves it and I am scared as any shampoo can cause flare.

I was stretching but seems as summer is here need to go back to my frequent washes.

Hope this year can keep flares to min .or handfuls of hair is lost during flare.:(

I do not know which method will be best?

Aunty Miki
April 23rd, 2017, 02:59 AM
My scalp is so in love with frequent washes, but my length hates them. I'm stopping conditioning my scalp to see if the dermatitis settles down, and only conditioning the length.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2017, 05:07 AM
I've tried stretching my washes but found my hair is happier when I wash it every other day. I have ridiculously sensitive skin and use mild products. When my hair gets longer I'll try scalp-only washes. It's all about what works for you and your hair.

*Very* much so! :D :thumbsup:

lapushka
April 23rd, 2017, 05:08 AM
My scalp is so in love with frequent washes, but my length hates them. I'm stopping conditioning my scalp to see if the dermatitis settles down, and only conditioning the length.

Is it seborrheic dermatitis (SD)? In that case then... Oh, gosh, no, definitely don't put conditioner (or oil) on your scalp!

irisa2005
April 25th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I think I belong here!.. Since I join LHC I'm trying to stretch my washes every 2 to 3 days but after 3 months doing it I don't think it's getting better, my hair is getting greasy and down and my scalp is starting to get zits, so I'm gonna return to my every other day washes.

LauraLongLocks
April 25th, 2017, 05:26 PM
I used to be an every-other-day washer, but eventually got it to stretch to every week. Now I'm back to twice a week washing. I have to do whatever makes my scalp happy, first and foremost. I don't like to look greasy or feel itchy.

Joyful Mystery
April 25th, 2017, 11:29 PM
I used to be an every-other-day washer, but eventually got it to stretch to every week. Now I'm back to twice a week washing. I have to do whatever makes my scalp happy, first and foremost. I don't like to look greasy or feel itchy.

I was able to do twice a week for quite a while but couldn't deal with the grease. I can do 3 times a week but prefer every other day. I don't like looking greasy either and my hair seems really happy with this routine.

enting
April 27th, 2017, 02:36 AM
I've been doing 1-2 times a week, but lately I think my scalp is happier with every other day. It just gets so itchy. Not only that, but I think my hair gets less strawlike if I wash it every other day as well. I always thought stretching washes was better for my hair at least, even if not my scalp, but I guess not?

lapushka
April 27th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Thought this was an interesting video to put here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hDRz_2NbI

Joyful Mystery
April 27th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Thought this was an interesting video to put here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hDRz_2NbI

Great video! Thanks for sharing lapushka!

I've decided to go back to washing 3 times a week. Twice a week would be too long between washings for me personally, but 3 times a week is totally doable.

luvlonghair75
April 27th, 2017, 11:26 AM
I wash mine about 3 times a week. Now with summer approaching, maybe more. My scalp is so much happier now.

Joyful Mystery
April 27th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Great video! Thanks for sharing lapushka!

I've decided to go back to washing 3 times a week. Twice a week would be too long between washings for me personally, but 3 times a week is totally doable.

After thinking about this, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to stick with every other day, unless I'm sick or something. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Arctic
April 28th, 2017, 02:21 AM
After thinking about this, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to stick with every other day, unless I'm sick or something. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Welcome to LHC!

I think you did a good decision (assuming this is what your scalp and hair like). My philosophy has always been (apart from scalp health) that I want my hair to look good and my hair simply does not look nice or behave well when oily, and it reaches the oily state very quickly. I always notice when other people have dirty hair too (even though many on this forum seem to think no-one notices if their hair is dirty). It makes me feel good when I have clean hair, and at these lengths you and me are, the hair dries fast (whether air drying or blow drying) and we don't need to worry about ten years old ends (of course this depends if one plans to grow to super lengths and if one plans to trim along the way).

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Welcome to LHC!

I think you did a good decision (assuming this is what your scalp and hair like). My philosophy has always been (apart from scalp health) that I want my hair to look good and my hair simply does not look nice or behave well when oily, and it reaches the oily state very quickly. I always notice when other people have dirty hair too (even though many on this forum seem to think no-one notices if their hair is dirty). It makes me feel good when I have clean hair, and at these lengths you and me are, the hair dries fast (whether air drying or blow drying) and we don't need to worry about ten years old ends (of course this depends if one plans to grow to super lengths and if one plans to trim along the way).

I wash weekly, that doesn't mean I "endure" a dirty scalp for a week. I wash Sunday, it gets slightly oily Thursday/Friday, more Friday, so it's only Saturday and a bun disguises the oil really well. It's not as if people walk around with a dirty scalp because they aren't frequent washers. Just sayin'. Everybody washes according to what their scalp can take. That doesn't mean that if you aren't a frequent washer that your scalp is *dirty*.

Arctic
April 28th, 2017, 06:08 AM
Sure, I hear what you are saying, but many people write in vein of "my hair is so dirty today but I won't have time to wash in several days so I'll just put it up in a bun and no-one will know" or "oh my hair is so dirty but I'll just slick it back into a bun and people will think I have used hair products".

Naturally some people can wash less regularly while still looking and feeling good, but I am talking about people who actually have oily scalp and hairtype that shows it - and yet they still wash so irregularly their hair is soaked with sebum and looks and feels and behaves dirty (=oily, sebumy, scalp cleavage-y...). For me that would be my second or third day hair, it just looks dirty (for a while this winter I was able to wash every other day and look good [not dirty=clean] but now it's back to every day washing). People post comments like this all the time. I personally couldn't do that and much rather wash when my hair needs it rather than walk around with dirty hair thinking no-one will notice. They do notice. In addition to looks, some people have smelly sebum, I see these posts regularly too.

My main point was with the sentence you highlighted, that our members often think people around them won't notice their hair is dirty while I don't think the dirtyness goes unnoticed by others (and I mean dirty by their own hair's/scalp's standards, for some this is every other day, for some it is every 10 days, and some people claim their hair never get dirty - maybe it doesn't get sebumy, but probably most people's hair gets dirty in one way or another at some point). The people with truly oily hair, who wash less than their hair would need to look clean are wrong to think no-one notices and I think it's good thing to say this outloud too, so no-one goes out there thinking their dirty hair would look fine and dandy.

Of course not everyone cares if others notice their hair is dirty, but I personally care a great deal and I avoid it with the best of my ability to never go out with dirty hair. This is also why I want to allow those people who think no-one notices to know that it's actually not so invisible than they may think. And of course different hair types, and sebum qualities will react differently, but some of us have the kind of hair/sebum combo that really shows it when it's dirty, and since this is the thread for frequent washers I am probably not wrong to assume that many people in this thread have this hairtype/sebum combination than makes them need to wash more often. (I think that the thinner, finer, straighter, and non-porous the hair [combined with the oilier the scalp] the more oiliness/dirtyness is visible and affects how the hair hangs and behaves.)

Oops, sorry about long post! I don't mean to offend anybody but I also don't want to lie that I can't recognize dirty hair when I see it, or that I like dirty hair. Again I do not mean hair to be dirty if someone can do a week without it looking dirty, I am meaning hair that actually does look dirty and starts behaving differently (like mine does in just few days after washing). All hair types are not created equal in this regard. Apologies for anyone who does not want to hear that some of us can spot dirty hair on others.

ETA: By dirty I am mostly refering to visibly oily, sebumy hair.

ETA2: I'm also not saying allowing hair to be oily occasionally wouldn't have good points too, after all it is also acting as conditioner to the hair strands. I am writing purely from the visual point of view.

iamteacherpam
April 28th, 2017, 06:08 AM
I wash my hair twice to thrice a week! 🙌🙌

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Sure, I hear what you are saying, but many people write in vein of "my hair is so dirty today but I won't have time to wash in several days so I'll just put it up in a bun and no-one will know" or "oh my hair is so dirty but I'll just slick it back into a bun and people will think I have used hair products".

Naturally some people can wash less regularly while still looking and feeling good, but I am talking about people who actually have oily scalp and hairtype that shows it - and yet they still wash so irregularly their hair is soaked with sebum and looks and feels and behaves dirty (=oily, sebumy, scalp cleavage-y...). For me that would be my second or third day hair, it just looks dirty (for a while this winter I was able to wash every other day and look good [not dirty=clean] but now it's back to every day washing). People post comments like this all the time. I personally couldn't do that and much rather wash when my hair needs it rather than walk around with dirty hair thinking no-one will notice. They do notice. In addition to looks, some people have smelly sebum, I see these posts regularly too.

I've never read that on here, though. So it puzzles me a bit. Maybe I don't read that attentively... could be.

And you have to stretch somehow, that usually goes with a little trial and error, so...

Of course not everyone cares if other notice their hair is dirty, but I personally care a great deal and I avoid it with the best of my ability to never go out with dirty hair. This is also why I want to allow those people who think no-one notices to know that it's actually not so invisible than they may think. And of course different hair types, and sebum qualities will react differently, but some of us have the kind of hair/sebum combo that really shows it when it's dirty, and since this is the thread for frequent washers I am probably not wrong to assume that people in this thread have this hairtype/sebum combination than makes them need to wash more often. (I think that the thinner, finer, straighter, and non-porous the hair [combined with the oilier the scalp] the more oiliness/dirtyness is visible and affects how the hair hangs and behaves.)

I think that's quite bold, though. :o Maybe you notice it more than anyone else will?

Of course oil will show, but it depends how oily and how the hair is worn too. If we're just talking half a cm to a cm of oil in the roots, for sure, no one is going to see that.

Arctic
April 28th, 2017, 06:47 AM
I clearly tried to say I mean OILY as in really oily. Noticeable sebum that has travelled down a great distance. As a hyberbole, hair glued to the scalp kind of oily. For example my own hair looks (and behaves) very different from root to tips when it's clean than it does after 48 hours after washing, it clearly is oily all the way down to the hemline by that time (below APL) and I wouldn't caught dead to go out like that (I mean I can take my dog out or take out trash, but I what I mean is going out somewhere where I need to look put together and make good impression). Some people show oil more some less, and everyone can learn in which category their hair belongs to and make an informed decision whether to walk around with oily hair or not, knowing that if they do, there are people who notice (everyone can decide if this bothers them or not - it would bother me).

You are probably right that not everyone payes attention to the same degree as I do, but if I notice there are tons and tons of others who notice too. I don't know what bold is there to say that, other than it's not often said outloud here at LHC. It is good to be aware that people do notice, so one doesn't go to a job interview, important meeting, give presentation or on a first date with dirty (looking, behaving, smelling) hair.

ETA: Mostly, like I already said, I have noticed this [visibly oily/dirty/sebumy hair] is more likely a problem for finer, straighter, thinner, leaning to more non-porous hair type, on persons that happen to have oily scalps.

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 07:03 AM
I clearly tried to say I mean OILY as in really oily. Noticeable sebum that has travelled down a great distance. As a hyberbole, hair glued to the scalp kind of oily. For example my own hair looks (and behaves) very different from root to tips when it's clean than it does after 48 hours after washing, it really is oily all the way down to the hemline by that time (below APL) and I wouldn't caught dead to go out like that (I mean I can take my dog out or take out trash, but I mean by go out somewhere where I need to look put together and make good impression). Some people show oil more some less, and everyone can learn in which category their hair belongs to and make an informed decision whether to walk around with oily hair or not, knowing that if they do, there are people who notice.

You are probably right that no everyone payes attention to the same degree as I do, but if I notice there are tons and tons of others who notice too. I don't know what bold is there to say that, other than it's not often said outloud here at LHC. It is good to be aware that people do notice, so one doesn't go to a job interview, important meeting, give presentation or on a first date with dirty (looking, behaving, smelling) hair.

ETA: Mostly, like I already said, I have noticed this [visibly oily/dirty/sebumy hair] is more likely a problem for finer, straighter, thinner, leaning to more non-porous hair type, on persons that happen to have oily scalps.

That is really oily. Maybe it is because it is such an issue for you, that you tend to notice more in other people.

But Arctic, how are people supposed to learn or start to stretch their washes if a little oil at first is difficult, and isn't... you know... allowed. If there's a forum for it, surely it is here?

I have F hair too, and I am a weekly washer. Honestly, on Saturday I am oily, but not halfway down my length.

Arctic
April 28th, 2017, 07:21 AM
That is really oily. Maybe it is because it is such an issue for you, that you tend to notice more in other people.

But Arctic, how are people supposed to learn or start to stretch their washes if a little oil at first is difficult, and isn't... you know... allowed. If there's a forum for it, surely it is here?

I have F hair too, and I am a weekly washer. Honestly, on Saturday I am oily, but not halfway down my length.

Maybe good way to try if stretching washed works for a person is to do it gradually. Bit by bit. I'm sure in relatively short time (few weeks or months?) it will become clear if it works. I personally have never been able to stretch as my scalp gets very angry after a while, and I haven't actively even tried in years and years.

I interpret this particular thread for frequent washers to be the exacly the correct place to talk about this, how nice it is to have clean hair and that I prefer regular washing. I would never go to "Stretching Washes Support Thread" (if there would be one) to write these same things. Surely I am not the only one here who notices dirty hair and likes to have clean hair more than I would like to walk around with oily hair. Surely there are people who have no intentions to stretch washes and who like regular washing on this thread. Not everyone on LHC strives to once a week washes. I know I much prefer mine to be freshly washed and fluffy, whether I have my hair up or down.

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 07:43 AM
I interpret this particular thread for frequent washers to be the exacly the correct place to talk about this, how nice it is to have clean hair and that I prefer regular washing. I would never go to "Stretching Washes Support Thread" (if there would be one) to write these same things. Surely I am not the only one here who notices dirty hair and likes to have clean hair more than I would like to walk around with oily hair. Surely there are people who have no intentions to stretch washes and who like regular washing on this thread. Not everyone on LHC strives to once a week washes. I know I much prefer mine to be freshly washed and fluffy, whether I have my hair up or down.

There is a weekly washers thread and you are welcome to say whatever you want there. :) :flower:

Yes but there is a difference between frequently washing and being almost as good as grossed out by oilier hair, IMMHO. Anyway, let's not argue and just agree to disagree. :)

wispe
April 28th, 2017, 07:50 AM
I think the important thing to note here is the difference between unwashed and dirty/excessively oily hair. I can stretch washes a few days because while my hair is not washed on days 2 and 3, it isn't gross or oily to the point where I wouldn't want to wear it down, except maybe by late evening on the last day.

Anyway, I wanted to pop in and note that I'm quite liking my new schedule alternating full washes with scalp-only washes. I have Jury duty today, and I don't have time to wash and dry my hair this morning before I go in. So instead of a scalp wash Wednesday like I had originally planned, I waited an extra day and scalp-washed yesterday. My hair was still good Wednesday until late evening, so that was nice. My hair is still clean and good for the day today, I will do a full wash again either tomorrow or Sunday. :thumbsup:

Arctic
April 28th, 2017, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't say I am grossed out (other than then it comes to my own oily hair) but I do notice oily hair on others too and I prefer freshly washed hair visually. But lets leave it that.

I admit I enjoyed very much those few months during the winter when I was able to go 2 days between washes and still have clean looking hair. It was lovely to not to have to wash daily because it simply wasn't dirty on the second day. I loved doing over night curls, etc. I'm not really sure why my hair reverted back to more oily mode, I assume it was the silicones I started using, because these two started at the same time.

I would happily wash less often if my hair wouldn't look and behave dirty so fast, but alas right now it looks terrible the day after washing (even more so towards the evening).

ETA: Wispe yes, that what I try to put into words, unwashed (but looking great) vs. visibly oily/dirty hair.

My own hair also starts to behave differently when dirty, much worse. It gets tangly and stringy and my cow licks don't behave. I know some people say their sebum is like luxurious conditioner, mine is not, ha ha!

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 08:10 AM
I know what it felt like when I was going through puberty and my hair was far too oily. Previously, my mom washed my hair weekly (every Sunday during bath time). And suddenly due to puberty, that all changed. My parents initially felt like it was bad to wash it more often than that as they both were of the opinion it's not good to wash your hair that often at all. My grandma started buying me dry shampoo (and that was a disaster). Then they saw how dirty it really was, and allowed me to wash it 2x a week. I felt icky and gross but all beginnings are difficult. And my parents had to learn right along with me. Now my mom is as happy as a button that I weekly wash again. :lol: ;)

wispe
April 28th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Yeah my hair shows grease super easily, and it definitely gets greasier faster if I use silicones near my scalp! I am sulfate free on my scalp except for occasionally clarifying (sulfates irritate my skin and exacerbate my eczema, unfortunately) and my only silicones come from my leave in serum which I concentrate more on my ends. I definitely notice when I've used too much of it too near my scalp as I go from being able to stretch washes 3ish days to being greasy the evening after a wash. Whoops! That was definitely a learning curve.

I grew up washing it daily and everybody I knew also washed daily as far as I know. I think the only observation I made at that point was that I definitely needed separate shampoo+conditioner as whenever I used a 2-in-1 (S+C) my hair was super static-y. I sure don't miss always walking out the door with damp hair, though.

Joyful Mystery
April 28th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Welcome to LHC!

Thanks for the welcome :)

I do plan on trying to reach knee length. I'm very gentle with my hair and since addressing skin allergies (and gluten) my hair is in the best condition. If I happen to come across any difficulties along this long journey of mine, I'll address them as needed. I'm so glad I joined this community :)

Arctic
April 28th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Lapushka we washed weekly too when I was a child, we went to sauna every Saturnday evening. I probably started washing more often at some point when I was 11-ish, at the latest when I was 13 when seventh grade started. My mom washed [ETA: her hair] once a week her whole life, I don't know where I got my oily skin/scalp. :D

Wispe the recent extra oilines probably is 100% because of silicones. Unfortunately (?) I need to apply conditioner rather high up (as high as I can without getting it on scalp) because of my coarse, wiry hairs. I might try using less silicones at some point but right now I am enjoying the ease of combing so much I am willingly traiding the more spaced out washing to ease of combing.

When I was young (said in an old, creaky voice!) there weren't 2-in-1 products, and if my memory serves there weren't even conditioners when I was child. I do remember having started regularly using conditioners by the time I was about 10. My hair washing and combing was always a struggle for my mom (when I was child, happened in sauna), I hated the washing and always managed to get shampoo in my eyes. I remember mom tried the tearless shampoos too, I guess they helped. But the combing was terrible, I had super sensitive scalp and no patience and typical (for where I live) child's hair type, very very fine and weightless and tangleprone. The no conditioner certainly didn't help.

Another sniplet from my memory lane: I remember when silicones were introduced on the Finnish markets, Pantene to be exact. It must have been early 1990???

Arctic
April 28th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the welcome :)

I do plan on trying to reach knee length. I'm very gentle with my hair and since addressing skin allergies (and gluten) my hair is in the best condition. If I happen to come across any difficulties along this long journey of mine, I'll address them as needed. I'm so glad I joined this community :)

That's a respectacle goal! Yes since you aim for super length it's probably good idea to adopt a way of treating your hair like an antique lace. You seem to have good attitude, lot of patience and healthy hair to begin your journey with, so you are off to a good start!

lapushka
April 28th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Lapushka we washed weekly too when I was a child, we went to sauna every Saturnday evening. I probably started washing more often at some point when I was 11-ish, at the latest when I was 13 when seventh grade started. My mom washed once a week her whole life, I don't know where I got my oily skin/scalp. :D

I was about... 13/14 I think. And my mom still kept an eye on how showers went ("Did you wash while under the water?" "Yes." "Properly?" "Yes." LOL). A few years before that I would still get the "mom inspection". In later years, she just trusted me, but asked anyway. ;)

Yes, as a teen I had no conditioner, wasn't on the market here at all. I used to use Garnier Fructis, and it was totally laden with silicones back then (they have eased up on that somewhat in recent years), so much so that you didn't need conditioner.

Another sniplet from my memory lane: I remember when silicones were introduced on the Finnish markets, Pantene to be exact. It must have been early 1990???

I think I used Garnier Fructis in the late 80s (I was 16 in 19eighty-eight), and it had silicone, plenty of it.

Dark40
April 28th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I'm just checking in today saying that I've just co-washed my hair using Pantene Pro-V Infusion Moisture Balance Conditioner, and my hair feels so nice conditioned, moisturized, and healthy!!! Both of my hair and scalp loves daily washes!!!!

Crystawni
April 28th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I'm not fussed in the least about stretching washes. If it happens, it happens, but I'm not here to learn how to, or to put it into practice. My hair and scalp are happy, and so am I. I like a fresh head of hair, and always have done no matter where I've lived (cooler climate for the first 25 years of my life, then tropical, with cooler for a few years again before rebounding further into the tropics for the next 25). If my scalp darkens, clumps showing scalp and won't fluff up, looks wet and feels coated, well, that's yuckville for me. I've got low-porous, fine hair, and the sebum can take over my head within hours (I have youthful skin and still get zits--yay peri-menopause!), and it can hurt if I leave the sebum to stiffen on my head. It lays the hair down, seeming to suffocate my scalp? Sometimes I can go a week before this happens, but when it does--bam! And showering also seems to bring this on (hot scalp from the shower=sweat=off we go again with the oily stuff). Meh. So I wash when I like, and enjoy my hair every day.

Maybe good way to try if stretching washed works for a person is to do it gradually. Bit by bit. I'm sure in relatively short time (few weeks or months?) it will become clear if it works. I personally have never been able to stretch as my scalp gets very angry after a while, and I haven't actively even tried in years and years.

Arctic, you're not the only one who notices. (I'm artsy and detail-orientated.) Adding on to what I've already written, I've seen it on here, and often wondered why people put up with those bad hair days (not day) that they've mentioned, especially when it's ongoing. JMO, of course, as we all have different upbringings and things we consider "the norm". I DO see wet-looking scalps, even when hair is up (my own updos don't disguise it), and see the comments that go with many of them. As my upbringing was from parents who grew up in the depression (pre/post WWII), cleanliness was always something they prided us (kids) on as it was a privilege for them. It's drummed into me (and my husband, who had a similar upbringing). That translates to how I see things now, and how I behave. I don't see sebum as unclean (even though on me I don't like too much of it--and it's speedy when it gets going!), but I see that people hide and struggle with it, so that gives me the impression that even they would prefer washed hair? Oh, and all this only applies to those who use products/additives to wash. Scalps can adjust to no products (my daughter's boyfriend is water only, and has been for years), where there's no visible build-up of sebum.

pandabarrier
April 28th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Lately I've been doing espresso rinses followed by scalp washes every 2 days in the mornings, drying the hair with t-shirt and low-heat dryer. Please don't throw tomatoes at me, but sometimes I don't have time to dry it completely before going to work, and some of my hair is still damp when I bun it. Is that bad?
I didn't notice breakage yet. My hair still feels like my hair when I take the bun down in the end of the day, if that makes sense, and is dry (so my hair slowly dries while in a bun too).
I usually do CWC and DT on the weekends, when I have more time to do proper detangling with conditioner, wait for air-drying etc.
I'm doing more scalp washes because the hair length is still relatively clean mid-week, the oil is mainly on the roots and bangs.

LauraLongLocks
April 28th, 2017, 09:30 PM
I notice oily hair, too, on myself and on others. I don't like how it looks or feels, and I think of it as dirty. When my hair has visible sebum about 2-3 inches down (after 3 to 4 days since wash day), my scalp is itchy, my hair is dirty, I can't get my boar bristle brush through to my scalp, and it needs to be washed. Period. I wouldn't tolerate my my scalp being itchy and starting to get pimples in my scalp, or my hair feeling dirty like that for the sake of my ends not getting dried out. A clean healthy scalp is the first step (for me) in being able to grow my hair at all. If my scalp isn't happy, hair starts to fall out pretty quickly. And aside from the very practical, hygienic reasons I have mentioned... I don't ever want to have hair so oily in public. No, yuck! I don't want anyone to look at me and think I'm dirty or unkempt. Quite frankly, if I have visible sebum traveling that far down my hair, it's definitely dirty and unkempt, so it wouldn't just be a matter of opinion. That would be fact.

Dark40
May 1st, 2017, 07:50 PM
Just checking in saying that today I washed my hair with Aussie Mega Moist Shampoo, and I conditioned with French Stablelizer Plus. It's a rather light conditioner that you use after shampooing, perming, and color tinting. I only went through one washing cycle though. That's all I do whenever I shampoo(clarify) my hair.

Dark40
May 1st, 2017, 07:59 PM
I notice oily hair, too, on myself and on others. I don't like how it looks or feels, and I think of it as dirty. When my hair has visible sebum about 2-3 inches down (after 3 to 4 days since wash day), my scalp is itchy, my hair is dirty, I can't get my boar bristle brush through to my scalp, and it needs to be washed. Period. I wouldn't tolerate my my scalp being itchy and starting to get pimples in my scalp, or my hair feeling dirty like that for the sake of my ends not getting dried out. A clean healthy scalp is the first step (for me) in being able to grow my hair at all. If my scalp isn't happy, hair starts to fall out pretty quickly. And aside from the very practical, hygienic reasons I have mentioned... I don't ever want to have hair so oily in public. No, yuck! I don't want anyone to look at me and think I'm dirty or unkempt. Quite frankly, if I have visible sebum traveling that far down my hair, it's definitely dirty and unkempt, so it wouldn't just be a matter of opinion. That would be fact.

I totally agree with you on that note! I've learned over the last few years that if I wait 3 or 4 days to wash my hair it starts to shed more than normal. Or, fall out. I find that my hair grows a lot better just like you've said in your statement....it grows a lot better when it's clean. My hair and scalp are a lot happier when it's clean.

SunnyRose
May 1st, 2017, 08:03 PM
Hello. I wash my hair every other day, sometimes every three days. I work with food and hate having the smell of bacon in my hair lol. I wish I could extend my washes because I have noticed that my poor old ends are becoming dry and split. Is there a thread that discusses how to add scent to hair without washing? Or make hair *smell* clean? Possibly with a diy spray or something. Sometimes I'll really not want to wash my hair but have to because of the burnt food smell. Which is a bummer.

likelikepenny
May 1st, 2017, 08:04 PM
Back to daily washing now that I'm working out....

Dark40
May 2nd, 2017, 07:56 PM
Yes, when I workout I also need to wash my hair daily too. My hair and scalp hates being dirty.:)

Arctic
May 7th, 2017, 08:09 AM
I've been testing a bit and not used the silicone containing detangling sprays lately, and it really looks like they have been the culprit with the increased oiliness levels/ shortened time it takes from my hair to become oily. It takes several washes (with full strength sulphate shampoos, washing full length of my hair - but not actually clarifying) to get the silicone (and thus the effects it has) out of my hair, but I do notice the oiliness is getting better again. However I have completely lost my "second day hair confidence" due to this experience and it will take a long time to build again (assuming I wouldn't use those sprays anymore, which I now know would just make my hair go oily faster again).

I'm not quite sure what I'll choose to do now. I liked the sprays but this oiliness effect was unnerving. :( At first when I started to suspect the sprays I was willing to overlook this unwanted effect but as a little time went by it has started to bother me more and I think I would like to be able to wash every other day again and gain back my confidence in my second day hair (it just made my life easier!). I wonder why those sprays had such an effect, yet I have been able to use both coney rinse out conditioners and for example silicone-heavy Got 2 B smoothing lotion without oiliness problems.

Otherwise the sprays have been great and I liked them in every other way.

lapushka
May 7th, 2017, 09:32 AM
I've been testing a bit and not used the silicone containing detangling sprays lately, and it really looks like they have been the culprit with the increased oiliness levels/ shortened time it takes from my hair to become oily. It takes several washes (with full strength sulphate shampoos, washing full length of my hair - but not actually clarifying) to get the silicone (and thus the effects it has) out of my hair, but I do notice the oiliness is getting better again. However I have completely lost my "second day hair confidence" due to this experience and it will take a long time to build again (assuming I wouldn't use those sprays anymore, which I now know would just make my hair go oily faster again).

I'm not quite sure what I'll choose to do now. I liked the sprays but this oiliness effect was unnerving. :( At first when I started to suspect the sprays I was willing to overlook this unwanted effect but as a little time went by it has started to bother me more and I think I would like to be able to wash every other day again and gain back my confidence in my second day hair (it just made my life easier!). I wonder why those sprays had such an effect, yet I have been able to use both coney rinse out conditioners and for example silicone-heavy Got 2 B smoothing lotion without oiliness problems.

Otherwise the sprays have been great and I liked them in every other way.

Did you spray your scalp as well? Otherwise it is quite puzzling how this aids at making your hair oilier. I have and have had issues with oil too and when silicones touched my scalp, it got worse, but if it only gets on the lengths, it doesn't matter one bit, not in my case at least. :)

Arctic
May 7th, 2017, 09:55 AM
No, not on scalp, but do have to use leave-ins rather high up because of my wiry, coarse hairs (they tangle and get frizzy otherwise). This is how I always apply my products. But I also tested it on the ends only and it still seemed to make my hair oily fast. I have noticed it before that on my hair anything I apply does spread itself along the hair shaft, oils for example. It's probably has been about week since I last used the detangling sprayand it's only now that my hair is starting to be normal.

I think there is something special to these particular spray detanglers though, like I said I have used other products with no oiliness problems and general would say my hair doesn't get weighted down easily and in general I don't have to be careful with leave ins and styling product but I can use them relatively liberally.

It's a bit mystery and a disappointment too, as I was so excited I had finally found leave-ins that suit me and then the oiliness problem started. :(

Aredhel
May 7th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Hello. I wash my hair every other day, sometimes every three days. I work with food and hate having the smell of bacon in my hair lol. I wish I could extend my washes because I have noticed that my poor old ends are becoming dry and split. Is there a thread that discusses how to add scent to hair without washing? Or make hair *smell* clean? Possibly with a diy spray or something. Sometimes I'll really not want to wash my hair but have to because of the burnt food smell. Which is a bummer.

Have you tried the CWC method? :)
What shampoo do you use? Using a sulfate-free shampoo may help prevent too much dryness.
Also, depending on your scalp/hair, CO washes could be a game changer for you too.

Dark40
May 8th, 2017, 06:12 PM
I shampooed and conditioned my hair with Aussie Mega Moist Shampoo and Conditioner. Because, I had to wash out some silicon from the Silicon Mix product I had in my hair, and I am preparing it from a coloring process this week.

Cherriezzzzz
May 8th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Frequent washing daily here! As a recent hairdresser in the past 10 years I'd say it's expected that people wash their hair daily. Maybe every other day. I can tell when someone hasn't washed their hair... just saying ;) I wish I could go longer btwn washes. That's a dream of mine with such thick hair it takes all day to dry. I use Morrocainoil treatment and it dries much faster now, but it's still a pain to redo my whole head daily. Hoping growing it out gives me a better appreciation for my texture. My mother gets to not wash daily after menopause, so I'm hoping my oily scalp eases up at that time in my life like it did for her.

Dark40
May 8th, 2017, 09:24 PM
I'm a frequent everyday hair washer too! I hate walking around with the feeling of dirty hair, and I also can tell when a person hasn't washed their hair too, and I also love nowadays the method of co washing. So that you don't dry the hair and scalp out. I try to co wash 2 or 3 times a week, and shampoo throughout the rest of the week. But I do deep condition twice a week to lock in moisture. I also wish that I can stretch out my washes to once a week too but my hair and scalp would be so greasy.

bjt
May 9th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Frequent washing daily here! As a recent hairdresser in the past 10 years I'd say it's expected that people wash their hair daily. Maybe every other day. I can tell when someone hasn't washed their hair... just saying ;) I wish I could go longer btwn washes. That's a dream of mine with such thick hair it takes all day to dry. I use Morrocainoil treatment and it dries much faster now, but it's still a pain to redo my whole head daily. Hoping growing it out gives me a better appreciation for my texture. My mother gets to not wash daily after menopause, so I'm hoping my oily scalp eases up at that time in my life like it did for her.

sadly, I'm just the opposite of your mom! I've gone from every 3rd or 4th day (in the "before" time) to now every day or every other day (now that I'm post menopause). Strange how we change with time! I'm glad to know, though, that I'm not the only one that has to wash so frequently. I'm still trying to work out what my hair needs--its so different than it was before.

lapushka
May 9th, 2017, 07:23 AM

I go for a weekly wash, and my hair only starts to get a bit oily Thursday/Friday. So. Not everyone is the same. There is also a thread for weekly washers on here, but it is a bit less popular. :)

My mom washes her hair every month, or every 3 weeks, and only because of hairspray build-up; not because her hair has gotten oily. She has no oil production on her scalp, or if she does, it's hardly noticeable. And no, her hair is not dirty nor does it smell!

Andthetalltrees
May 9th, 2017, 10:23 AM
I went from around twice a week, To every other day religiously for the last month more or less. I use to think I had to wash less frequently to have long hair, But now I realize my scalp and hair are much happier on this routine. I wash my scalp before it has any time to act up, My hair get's moisturized often. I feel like I've gotten a bunch of new regrowth recently too. I'm going to stick with this and see how it ends up :o

Joyful Mystery
May 9th, 2017, 12:03 PM
I went from around twice a week, To every other day religiously for the last month more or less. I use to think I had to wash less frequently to have long hair, But now I realize my scalp and hair are much happier on this routine. I wash my scalp before it has any time to act up, My hair get's moisturized often. I feel like I've gotten a bunch of new regrowth recently too. I'm going to stick with this and see how it ends up :o

After experimenting with stretching washes for nearly a year, I returned to every other day washes 7 months ago and couldn't be happier with my hair :)

Prism
May 9th, 2017, 03:58 PM
I'm a daily washer because my skin is oily--really oily. I have had cystic acne before and went on a course of Accutane before. The Accutane made my skin non-oily for a while, but over time it's returned to being oily. The only other time that my hair wasn't oily and didn't need to be washed daily was when I was in temporary menopause due to chemotherapy. After I was done with chemo, eventually my periods returned, and the oily skin came with it.

I hate (HATE!) that I have to wash daily. It's so bad that if I wash in the evening, by morning my hair and skin feel oily, so I wash in the shower every morning.

I'm in perimenopause with irregular periods, and I still have trouble with oily skin and hair. I really would love to be able to wash in the evening and air dry because air drying takes too long in the mornings. So I was using a blowdryer to speed drying time when I get a shower in the morning. However, now that I'm committed to growing my hair long, I don't use a blowdryer or flat iron anymore.

Any daily washers out there who have the same issue of needing to get a shower every morning or feeling a greasy film on your hair? I mean, if I do it every evening, by morning my bangs are clumping together and look greasy. Ugh! Help!

Cherriezzzzz
May 14th, 2017, 02:47 PM

Your hair is one of my favs I've seen on LHC! I'm so glad you kept experimenting, cause it's worth it to keep your long hair and find what works! I'm trying to come to terms with waking frequency... I do wash daily, but would like some time off from all the work it takes!

lapushka
May 14th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Your hair is one of my favs I've seen on LHC! I'm so glad you kept experimenting, cause it's worth it to keep your long hair and find what works! I'm trying to come to terms with waking frequency... I do wash daily, but would like some time off from all the work it takes!

Maybe try going one more day, just one day a week and then after a few weeks, add a second day in that you skip, and so on and so on. Go really slowly with this if you are going to do it.

Cherriezzzzz
May 14th, 2017, 02:56 PM
I go for a weekly wash, and my hair only starts to get a bit oily Thursday/Friday. So. Not everyone is the same. There is also a thread for weekly washers on here, but it is a bit less popular. :)

My mom washes her hair every month, or every 3 weeks, and only because of hairspray build-up; not because her hair has gotten oily. She has no oil production on her scalp, or if she does, it's hardly noticeable. And no, her hair is not dirty nor does it smell!

A weekly washing would be a dream come true for me! I guess noticing how people care for their hair is a habit of having been a good hairdresser ;) there's so much a hairdresser should be able to decipher so a person can get a quality cut within a decent amount of "chair time." Saying everyone is different is an understatement, right? LoL I was the long hair defender at my salon... I can tell when a person just needs a dusting NOT a whole inch off. But I think my bias for long hair saved a many tears. I'd always say, "i can always cut more, but I can't put it back on." If even be ok to have slightly oily roots to save myself a day of washing, but mine is not tolerant. LoL I could wear a head scarf... haha

Cherriezzzzz
May 14th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Maybe try going one more day, just one day a week and then after a few weeks, add a second day in that you skip, and so on and so on. Go really slowly with this if you are going to do it.

You're right. I'm on it! I really want to try this. I've never attempted it before, but I am a stay at home mom so if anyone can do it, that would be me. I'm going to lessen the washings methodically. I'm humbled by the LHC :) and happy to be under tutelage!

akurah
May 14th, 2017, 03:13 PM
You're right. I'm on it! I really want to try this. I've never attempted it before, but I am a stay at home mom so if anyone can do it, that would be me. I'm going to lessen the washings methodically. I'm humbled by the LHC :) and happy to be under tutelage!

Other things to try:
Dry shampoo
BBB at scalp to move oil down length
Horn or wood comb, may absorb oil
Rinsing hair without washing, may move oil down
Makeup oil absorbing sheets
With the exception of dry shampoo, YMMV

I use dry shampoo periodically. For a time I was using it about 1x a week, but now I think it's closer to "oh, hair is oily, let's use the dry shampoo" (probably 1x a month). I typically wash every 4 days to weekly.

SunnyRose
May 14th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Have you tried the CWC method? :)
What shampoo do you use? Using a sulfate-free shampoo may help prevent too much dryness.
Also, depending on your scalp/hair, CO washes could be a game changer for you too.

You know, I have tried the CWC method... but forgot about it! I'll have to get back to doing that. I remember it did keep my ends well conditioned.
I switch shampoos all the time. The two I use most often are Acure Organics Hydrating argan oil and Aveda shampure. I know the Aveda shampoo has sulfates as one of the top ingredients. CO washing is something I should consider.. thanks!

Lisa Long4Life
May 20th, 2017, 02:08 PM
I wash 2-3 times a week, my fringe gets pretty greasy looking if I don't.

Arctic
May 20th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I stopped using the spray detanglers and have been able to go back to every other day wash rhythm. I liked the sprays otherwise but the oiliness problem was a bit too much.

Ondine11
May 20th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I used to wash every other day. Now, I can go three days. So, I'm a twice per week washer. Hopefully, I will figure out how to coax my hair into going four days. Keeping conditioners, heat protectants & oils away from my scalp definitely has helped.

lizardspots
May 20th, 2017, 09:06 PM
I had successfully stretched to washing every 3 days, but since starting Minoxidil & Ketoconazole shampoo for my excessive shedding, I've occasionally had to move back to washing every 2 days. Woe.

Andthetalltrees
May 21st, 2017, 11:29 AM
Despite conventional wisdom here, Washing my hair every other day(A few times everyday) for around a month now and my hair has never been better, It's way softer and more moisturized. My scalp has no chance to act up. I'm pleasantly surprised how much of a different washing everyother vs twice a week has had on my hair. I'm sticking with my experiment for now on.

Not to mention it's grown an inch and the month isn't over yet, I don't know if it's related or not to the extra cleanness.

Aredhel
May 21st, 2017, 11:32 AM
I had successfully stretched to washing every 3 days, but since starting Minoxidil & Ketoconazole shampoo for my excessive shedding, I've occasionally had to move back to washing every 2 days. Woe.

That's still great progress!:) It sure feels great when your hair finally isn't a ball of slime by day 2... it did for me anyway when I successfully stretched my washes. :p

Prism
May 21st, 2017, 11:40 AM
I have to wash every day. Even doing so I sometimes get cystic acne at the base of my skull. It's usually very deep and never comes to the surface, so I'm not sure how much is caused by surface oiliness. I just know that if I don't wash my hair every day, it's extremely oily looking and feels disgusting. I've recently switched to washing and air drying in the evening rather than morning, and I'm even dealing with hair that's getting oily a few hours before the 24-hour mark. I'm using dry shampoo on my bangs and temples where it gets oily first, and I hate that, too. I wish that stretching out the hair washes would make my hair less oily, but I don't think it works that way.

Andthetalltrees
May 21st, 2017, 11:45 AM
I have to wash every day. Even doing so I sometimes get cystic acne at the base of my skull. It's usually very deep and never comes to the surface, so I'm not sure how much is caused by surface oiliness. I just know that if I don't wash my hair every day, it's extremely oily looking and feels disgusting. I've recently switched to washing and air drying in the evening rather than morning, and I'm even dealing with hair that's getting oily a few hours before the 24-hour mark. I'm using dry shampoo on my bangs and temples where it gets oily first, and I hate that, too. I wish that stretching out the hair washes would make my hair less oily, but I don't think it works that way.

For me washing my hair less frequently never has made it 'less oily', It seems to be the same if I wash it everyday or once a week :shrug: I truly want to know if this phenomenon is true or not. Maybe some people's sebum get's soaked in the longer it goes, maybe you just learn to tolerate or even like oiler hair?

Prism
May 21st, 2017, 11:52 AM
For me washing my hair less frequently never has made it 'less oily', It seems to be the same if I wash it everyday or once a week :shrug: I truly want to know if this phenomenon is true or not. Maybe some people's sebum get's soaked in the longer it goes, maybe you just learn to tolerate or even like oiler hair? That's been my feeling. I also saw a trichologist online who was dispelling the "if I wash less often, my hair will become less oily" as a myth. I think people may just adjust their tolerance for feeling and looking oily. I would love to be wrong on this one as I'd really like to wash less often.

enting
May 21st, 2017, 12:24 PM
Adjusting to washing *more* frequently is the weird part for me. I grew up only washing my hair once every week, sometimes only once every two weeks! My hair was rarely oily, if ever, and didn't smell. My hair is still rarely oily unless I use a BBB or add oil to it. I think I'm slowly coming around to the idea that my hair and scalp might be happier with more frequent washes, possibly even daily! I'm not sure *I'm* ready for daily washes, though. At this point I'm still at the every other day or twice a week frequency.

CosetteMinette
May 21st, 2017, 07:18 PM
I almost never had to wash my hair growing up. As I grow it longer, I find I am having to wash every other day to avoid stringiness. I try to stretch as much as I can but three days is my limit. I feel like I am having to learn how to take care of my hair like a little kid, since I am not used to taking care of longer locks :rolleyes: I think some people can stretch washes more than others

lizardspots
May 21st, 2017, 07:35 PM
That's still great progress!:) It sure feels great when your hair finally isn't a ball of slime by day 2... it did for me anyway when I successfully stretched my washes. :p

My third day hair was always greasy and grimy, and I couldn't wait for wash day xD Maybe my scalp is just not made for stretching washes. Also the Minoxidil has made my scalp itchy and flaky. It certainly feels happier washing every 2 days. Oh well. I think I should start looking into CWC, now that the ends are getting longer and drier. That's what you do, right?

pandabarrier
May 23rd, 2017, 07:12 PM
Ah, hair care changes. I was using sulfate free shampoo successfully for almost two years, and stretched washes to 3-4 days. During cold weather I was able to do a CWC on the weekend, with a mid-week scalp wash.
During a Christmas trip to visit family, I bought a local sulfate shampoo out of curiosity and washed my hair every day because of the hot weather. After I came back to the US my scalp changed, the sebum became thick and waxed.
I tried to go back to the old routine, but to no avail because the sebum was too thick for sulfate free. I went back to sulfate shampoo and more frequent washing, every 2 days. Last weekend I tried to use sulfate free, but that was the last nail to the coffin for sulfate free. My scalp got so itchy after only one day, and shed more hair than usual, even with spring seasonal shed. Fortunately scalp feels better and shed is ok after a couple of sulfate shampoo washes.

SnowDancer
May 23rd, 2017, 08:08 PM
I can go about 3-4 days without washing. 3rd day hair looks the best. Everything has settled nicely. But day 4 requires washing.

Naliade
May 24th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Wow, yeah, for me, if I don't wash at least 3 times per week, I get zits and pain. It's a kind of pain that if I move my hair, it hurts. The derm says it's not SD or anything medical... I just have an oily scalp. I have oily skin, too.

Does this happen to anybody else? (Yeah, it is a comment from the second page of the post, from months ago :lol: ) I don't need to wash my hair more frequently than once per week, I even can stretch it out a bit longer, but latetly, in certain ocasions, I was getting this kind of pain described, and even moving my hair felt like i've had a tight ponytail for hours. For example, yesterday I had it, I washed my hair this morning, and now there is no sing of anything like this. Could this the be the reason?

Andthetalltrees
May 24th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Does this happen to anybody else? (Yeah, it is a comment from the second page of the post, from months ago :lol: ) I don't need to wash my hair more frequently than once per week, I even can stretch it out a bit longer, but latetly, in certain ocasions, I was getting this kind of pain described, and even moving my hair felt like i've had a tight ponytail for hours. For example, yesterday I had it, I washed my hair this morning, and now there is no sing of anything like this. Could this the be the reason?

I definitely get this too and the only way to 'fix' it is to wash my hair. I don't know what causes it exactly all I know is a oily scalp is really painful to me(along with the flakes and red spots that come along)

Andthetalltrees
May 25th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Washing my hair everyday or every other day has been the best thing I have done for my hair since starting to use conditioner. I has just given up on the idea of my hair being soft or actually fully moisturized, But since switching to very frequent washing it is soft now, and I like it so much better.

school of fish
May 27th, 2017, 05:48 AM
I went 2 days between S&C washes instead of my usual alternate day, and even with water rinsing on the in-between days I did not like how my hair felt at all! I think my sebum is just so waxy it seems to make my hair stick together and the fine strands microtangle... it felt unpleasantly heavy and looked lank. I really can't stretch between washes - or rather, I can't stretch and remain satisfied with my hair.

Natashap
May 27th, 2017, 11:59 PM
Losing hair rapidly because of stretching in between washes or diet changes.

Do not know but frequent washing makes my scalp happy.So went back to frequent washes ,every 2-3 day washing is my regular routine now.

Have acne on scalp and trying head and shoulders once a week.My hair is aging guess so,:pray:

My hair has brain of its own .

Dark40
May 30th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Well, today I've co-washed with my Salon Selectives Recovery Conditioner, and my hair came out amazingly soft!!! I'm waiting 2 more hours for the results after it is dry comes out.

Arctic
May 30th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I love it Dark40 that you are so excited about hair washing! For me it always feels such a chore, even though I love the results and it makes me feel good about myself too as I hate oily hair . I try to enjoy hair washing and other repetitive things just to make life more pleasant but it's not always easy. What's your secret? I have been reading about hygge lately - your enjoyment of hair washing reminded me of that.

Links that explain hygge:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hygge
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/what-is-hygge-collins-word-of-the-year-danish-lifestyle-trend-brexit-a7395206.html

Dark40
May 30th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Yes Arctic I do love or excited when it comes to time to wash my hair! I know that for some people it is a chore. I think it's because some people's hair is a lot thicker than mine is. Mine is not a chore. It only takes me 15 minutes to wash in the shower. What I do on a daily basis or 5 times a week is I co-wash. Or, if my hair looks and feels greasy I use shampoo on the entire hair and scalp. But the majority of the times I don't use shampoo on the length. I shampoo only the scalp, and let the shampoo rinse down the length. That's how the length gets cleansed. Then, when I get out of the shower I always use a detangler or a leave-in conditioner to detangle my hair, and I don't ever have problems with tangled hair!!!!

Arctic
May 30th, 2017, 04:29 PM
I really would like to learn to enjoy the hair washing again. I have used many of my shampoos and conditioners for so long now I don't really even register their smell, texture, lather anymore.... would be nice to be mindful about those little things and enjoy them :) My hair is not thick either, and I love how easy it is to spread shampoo and conditioner, how fast it is to rinse, and the short air drying time!

Dark40
May 30th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean! My hair is still thick but not to the point of always getting tangled all of the time. The conditioners I always use on my hair gives it a nice slip. Oh, I've always registered to the smell of shampoos and conditioners! I love the way mine smell. Especially, like Pantene Pro-V and Garnier Fructis. I love both of their scents!!! Oh, I'm sure you'll get back in washing your hair more frequently again.

likelikepenny
May 30th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Back to washing 2-3 times a week and so far so good. My hair is still moisturized and not completely matted when I take it out of my buns to wash.

Joyful Mystery
May 30th, 2017, 04:55 PM
I've started my seasonal shed recently and that always increases my time spent rinsing. I really dislike having wet shed hairs wrap themselves around my wrists, forearms, and in between my fingers. Shedding also means more time spent detangling.

Starrydandelion
May 31st, 2017, 08:50 AM
I definitely belong here. Always had hair on the oily side. :p I wash 2-3 times a week, stretching washes is a bad idea as my scalp gets upset with me.

Joyful Mystery, I'm sorry to hear about your seasonal shed. :c I hope this one will end soon. I shed a lot myself. I never paid attention to how much I shed in the past as I used to have a lot of hair and had nothing to worry about. Maybe three years ago, I noticed my hair had become thinner, esepcially at the front and sides of my scalp, and that's why I started noticing how much I shed. I'll just gently truck at my ends and then a few hairs or more will come out, doesn't matter what time of the day. The hairs on the floor don't lie either. Hair sheds are never fun, but hang in there. :cheer:

ETA: Wanted to be a but clearer with my explanation.

Andthetalltrees
May 31st, 2017, 08:56 AM
I feel like I'm doing the exact opposite of most people here, I'm stretching my washes in the other direction. I've never been a everyday washer but I'm starting to do it more frequently now and my scalp loves me

Starrydandelion
May 31st, 2017, 10:37 AM
Andthetalltrees, I'm actually in the same boat! Trying to wash more frequently to see if my scalp will be a bit more pleased with me. :p