PDA

View Full Version : Flax gel rinse out conditioner

proo
January 26th, 2017, 05:04 AM
I'm an infrequent washer, especially in winter, so not into leave-ins as they attract lint.
Have any of y'all used homemade flax gel as a rinse out conditioner?
is it considered a protein treatment?

likelikepenny
January 26th, 2017, 05:24 AM
I'm an infrequent washer, especially in winter, so not into leave-ins as they attract lint.
Have any of y'all used homemade flax gel as a rinse out conditioner?
is it considered a protein treatment?

I've tried it, but it didn't really condition my hair, just defined my curls lol.

Stub
January 26th, 2017, 08:42 AM
I've used homemade flax gel to glue down wispies in summer and my hair is always very soft after I rinse it out.

Nymphe
January 26th, 2017, 09:43 AM
No, it is not a protein treatment. I am thinking about using it along with marshmallow root as a leave-in. I wonder if you made it thin enough, you could use it as a final rinse.

Here is an old thread: Flaxseed Wash (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21727)

I've tried it, but it didn't really condition my hair, just defined my curls lol.

That is good to know.

likelikepenny
January 26th, 2017, 10:37 AM

I will add to this by saying, even though it didn't have any traditional "conditioning" properties for me, it does make a very good sealant/leave in.

proo
January 26th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the link nymphe, very interesting;
I would be using it as rinse out conditioner after a highly dilute sls rinse/wash
Probably followed by a highly dilute vinegar rinse.

I came across a youtuber making soapnut shampoo in a blender-
Very rich creamy lather.
Has anyone tried that?

proo
January 26th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Also intrigued by pine needle hair rinse since I live amongst em

Nymphe
January 26th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the link nymphe, very interesting;
I would be using it as rinse out conditioner after a highly dilute sls rinse/wash
Probably followed by a highly dilute vinegar rinse.

I came across a youtuber making soapnut shampoo in a blender-
Very rich creamy lather.
Has anyone tried that?

I have not, I would tried a powder form first.

Also intrigued by pine needle hair rinse since I live amongst em

I know pine needles are acidic and have heard of people drinking pine needle tea, but a rinse is a new one to me.

proo
February 1st, 2017, 06:13 AM
Update:
Conditioned after highly dilute sls wash/rinse with flax gel made with catnip tea.
Baggyed for about 30 minutes, rinsed with highly dilute vinegar rinse
Cold rinsed again, sealed with about 4 drops MO.
Success! - hair feels stronger and more moisturized all the way down ( slightly longer than bsl).
I also tied it up in a big silk scarf for a couple days as it dried because I was home working and I like to protect it from the intense dryness of my heater in that situation
I know that contributed to it's conditioned state.
I'll be trying this again in a month since I rinse monthly.

likelikepenny
February 1st, 2017, 06:23 AM
Update:
Conditioned after highly dilute sls wash/rinse with flax gel made with catnip tea.
Baggyed for about 30 minutes, rinsed with highly dilute vinegar rinse
Cold rinsed again, sealed with about 4 drops MO.
Success! - hair feels stronger and more moisturized all the way down ( slightly longer than bsl).
I also tied it up in a big silk scarf for a couple days as it dried because I was home working and I like to protect it from the intense dryness of my heater in that situation
I know that contributed to it's conditioned state.
I'll be trying this again in a month since I rinse monthly.

I've been wondering about infusing flaxseed gel with say green tea or catnip tea, how did you do it? How was the consistency?

proo
February 1st, 2017, 08:52 AM
I simply used already brewed catnip tea as the water when I made the gel.
Didn't let the gel simmer very long since I wanted a loose consistency
Dumped it into a large bowl, think I added more water then dunked head/dumped mixture throughout.

Nymphe
February 1st, 2017, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback, proo. Definitely on the list of things to try.

likelikepenny
February 1st, 2017, 08:59 AM
I simply used already brewed catnip tea as the water when I made the gel.
Didn't let the gel simmer very long since I wanted a loose consistency
Dumped it into a large bowl, think I added more water then dunked head/dumped mixture throughout.

I'll be trying this soon.

proo
February 1st, 2017, 10:43 AM
You could also probably brew the whole thing at once-
Catnip and flax seeds.
I didn't because my strainer isn't very fine, didn't want to deal with particles.
Since I rinse only once per month I'm always interested in finding ways of preserving moisture without product.
Product = dull, dirty hair quickly for me.
No product= clean moisturized hair for me
Highly diluting my shampoo and vinegar rinse is key, as are protective updos and my silk scarf.
I consider myself nw/so since I never completely strip my own sebum and follow the protocol.
Since my hair has achieved this state it's a whole nother animal.

likelikepenny
February 1st, 2017, 12:54 PM
You could also probably brew the whole thing at once-
Catnip and flax seeds.
I didn't because my strainer isn't very fine, didn't want to deal with particles.
Since I rinse only once per month I'm always interested in finding ways of preserving moisture without product.
Product = dull, dirty hair quickly for me.
No product= clean moisturized hair for me
Highly diluting my shampoo and vinegar rinse is key, as are protective updos and my silk scarf.
I consider myself nw/so since I never completely strip my own sebum and follow the protocol.
Since my hair has achieved this state it's a whole nother animal.

That makes sense. You say product makes your hair very dull and greasy, how does sebum only differ? Wouldn't the waxy sebum build up?

proo
February 1st, 2017, 06:37 PM
Well lil one, I'm 58 so not kicking out sebum as I once did-
But I'm convinced that had I known what effect product was having I could have avoided a lot of fumbling around because I'd have known the true nature of my hair and I didn't because it was loaded with stuff.
Sebum is quite different from product; it can be cleansed by preening or other mechanical methods
Lint and dirt are removed and sheen is restored.
In my experience this is exclusive to sebum.

likelikepenny
February 1st, 2017, 07:11 PM
May I ask your hair type? I've been considering WO but my hair is so curly, it makes it more difficult for sebum to move down the hair shaft.

proo
February 1st, 2017, 08:53 PM
Not knowledgeable on hair typing but here goes:
Under layer is fine, dense and wavy
Top/mohawk section is coarse, dense, fairly tight zigzags, prone to frizz.
It used to be porous from heat damage but now it's not
All the damage is long gone; I'm about half silver and those hairs are thicker
I spent a lot of time and $$ trying to fix that mohawk with product, NOthing worked.
Till I stumbled upon this site and WO which led to my current routine.

likelikepenny
February 2nd, 2017, 05:31 AM
Not knowledgeable on hair typing but here goes:
Under layer is fine, dense and wavy
Top/mohawk section is coarse, dense, fairly tight zigzags, prone to frizz.
It used to be porous from heat damage but now it's not
All the damage is long gone; I'm about half silver and those hairs are thicker
I spent a lot of time and $$ trying to fix that mohawk with product, NOthing worked.
Till I stumbled upon this site and WO which led to my current routine.

Wow I'm really interested in trying this. I guess I'll skip over to the WO thread and research. Thank you for your feedback.