PDA

View Full Version : Hair Type Me? Wash & Go Tips?

likelikepenny
January 25th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone, so I've never been properly hair typed. I always thought I was 4c until recently when I started noticing some defined curls. Also for some reason my coils aren't defining like they were after I did my first ACV rinse. Could it be because I haven't clarified? Any ideas?

First time using an ACV Rinse:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13058&attachmentid=25986

Recent Attempted Wash & Go's (using flaxseed gel):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13058&attachmentid=25987

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13058&attachmentid=25988

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13058&attachmentid=25989

FennFire911
January 25th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Just curious, how strong is your ACV rinse? When was the last time you clarified, and how were the results?

likelikepenny
January 25th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Just curious, how strong is your ACV rinse? When was the last time you clarified, and how were the results?

Back then, I used 1:1. Now I know that's much too strong so probably 3:1. I haven't clarified since April? The last time I straightened my hair. I honestly can't remember the results. I wasn't paying as much attention to my hair back then.

FennFire911
January 25th, 2017, 06:45 PM
I've started journaling since I joined here. Helps me remember what happened and when. :)
That ACV ratio might still be too strong for you and depending on how much of various products you're using it could be time for another clarifying. It looks like you're still in the 4's to me. Has anything else changed in recent months that comes to mind?

likelikepenny
January 25th, 2017, 06:51 PM
I've started journaling since I joined here. Helps me remember what happened and when. :)
That ACV ratio might still be too strong for you and depending on how much of various products you're using it could be time for another clarifying. It looks like you're still in the 4's to me. Has anything else changed in recent months that comes to mind?

Um, not anything that comes to mind. I've started a journal since I've been here and had a loose one before which is how I remembered the ACV rinse and dilution I used to use.

H o n є y ❤
January 25th, 2017, 07:03 PM
It looks like 4b or 4c to me, not exactly sure though.

Anje
January 25th, 2017, 07:09 PM
I'm mostly familiar with the older scheme, which had 4a being curls and 4b more like zigzags and for some reason didn't have a 4c. I think it's been refined since then, though the old system would probably stick you in 4a.

In any case, your hair looks lovely! I'm impressed at how nicely defined your curls are just from a wash-and-go or ACV. :)

ETA: It's worth mentioning, I tend to think of curls in terms of diameter of the individual curls. Unless that definition has shifted, 3c was about pencil-size curls, and 4a was smaller than that, getting in toward the springs inside pens.

likelikepenny
January 25th, 2017, 07:18 PM
I'm mostly familiar with the older scheme, which had 4a being curls and 4b more like zigzags and for some reason didn't have a 4c. I think it's been refined since then, though the old system would probably stick you in 4a.

In any case, your hair looks lovely! I'm impressed at how nicely defined your curls are just from a wash-and-go or ACV. :)

ETA: It's worth mentioning, I tend to think of curls in terms of diameter of the individual curls. Unless that definition has shifted, 3c was about pencil-size curls, and 4a was smaller than that, getting in toward the springs inside pens.

Thank you!

Some of my strands seem to be 4a in that they have a zigzag pattern but most seems to be the size of a pen spring. I also think of curls in diameter. 4c is supposedly a kinky hair type that has no defined curl pattern.

Anje
January 25th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Maybe 4a or 4a/4b then? It definitely looks to me like you have defined clumps and a curl pattern.

likelikepenny
January 25th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Maybe 4a or 4a/4b then? It definitely looks to me like you have defined clumps and a curl pattern.

Perhaps. Now a days I'm thinking I'm in the lower 4's but wasn't sure exactly where I fit in. I've only recently realized I'm multi-textured. Is 4b a safe assumption?

Anje
January 25th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Maybe? I'll defer to some of the members who are more familiar with 4 hair than I am. :)

mizukitty
January 25th, 2017, 08:00 PM
What a gorgeous head of hair! :love:

Clarifying is always a good idea every once in while, just to see the "bare" state of your hair so you can trouble shoot from there.

Definitely dilute that ACV ratio. Your hair looks really resistant and healthy, but putting even a 1:3 ratio of ACV to water will bring the pH down to like ~2.75 (too low). With repeated use, it could definitely chemically affect your curl pattern. I'd use like maybe a tablespoon per 2 cups!

I hope you keep sharing pics! I *love* type 4 hair. I think it's incredible.

H o n є y ❤
January 25th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Perhaps. Now a days I'm thinking I'm in the lower 4's but wasn't sure exactly where I fit in. I've only recently realized I'm multi-textured. Is 4b a safe assumption?
I stated the lower 4s because some of the girls I've seen on Youtube with 4b hair looks similar to yours when they do wash n gos.

likelikepenny
January 25th, 2017, 09:03 PM
I stated the lower 4s because some of the girls I've seen on Youtube with 4b hair looks similar to yours when they do wash n gos.

I've seen that as well, but it's hard to be sure when everyone in the comments is always arguing about the persons hair type lol. I've never paid much attention to it but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

likelikepenny
January 25th, 2017, 09:04 PM
What a gorgeous head of hair! :love:

Clarifying is always a good idea every once in while, just to see the "bare" state of your hair so you can trouble shoot from there.

Definitely dilute that ACV ratio. Your hair looks really resistant and healthy, but putting even a 1:3 ratio of ACV to water will bring the pH down to like ~2.75 (too low). With repeated use, it could definitely chemically affect your curl pattern. I'd use like maybe a tablespoon per 2 cups!

I hope you keep sharing pics! I *love* type 4 hair. I think it's incredible.

Thank you :). The only reason why I've had my ACV so high is because I use it as a shampoo, but I'll be sure to dilute it some more.

MsPharaohMoan
January 25th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Thank you :). The only reason why I've had my ACV so high is because I use it as a shampoo, but I'll be sure to dilute it some more.

As a shampoo?? Interesting! Your curls are beautiful by the way.

likelikepenny
January 25th, 2017, 09:15 PM
As a shampoo?? Interesting! Your curls are beautiful by the way.

Thank you. And yes as a shampoo lol. So far it's the only thing that keeps my scalp happy and cleanses my hair without stripping it completely. I should probably introduce a sulfate shampoo every once in a while though.

H o n є y ❤
January 25th, 2017, 09:34 PM
I've seen that as well, but it's hard to be sure when everyone in the comments is always arguing about the persons hair type lol. I've never paid much attention to it but curiosity has gotten the better of me.
That's what happens when you adopt a label. People put you in a box and attack anything that goes against their assumptions about that label (e.g. "4b/c girls can't wash and go and if they can then they aren't really type 4b or c"). That's why some people hate hair typing lol. I personally think you're 4b but you know your hair better than anyone else. It's good you don't stress about it though. :)

lapushka
January 26th, 2017, 07:20 AM
I don't know about washing with ACV - I'm very unsure of that, so I'm not going to go there (I know very little about it). I only know about the rinses and about a teaspoon or tablespoon a liter is probably more than enough for me.

I do have to say, giiiirl you've got some amazing coils, that first picture of 3! Wow! WOW! I think that's more like 3c/4a, no? Such defined curls. I think 4a is very very tight, and you seem to have more definition going on.

Aidin
January 26th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Your hair is so beautiful and your a cutie!

I believe I am a 3c (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=78845) and your hair seems slightly curlier than mine, so I would type it as 4a.

Nymphe
January 26th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I would say a wiry 4a because you are low porosity and your curls have some hangtime.