PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for styles

pinkprincess
January 25th, 2017, 03:39 AM
My hair is currently about collarbone length, the back is a bit shorter than the front, and the layers particularly at the back go not much longer than the top of the neck. I can only really do a ponytail with all the hair because everything else falls out. I can sort of do a Dutch braid but the front does fall out and I still can only end in a ponytail because of layers. I don't want the hair to all break where I tie it though.

What else could I try?

Zesty
January 25th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Gibson tuck comes to mind, though that also uses a hair tie. You might be able to manage some sort of crown braid, it's closer to the hairline so maybe all your length would fit. If the back wouldn't go into a crown-type braid, I'd try a headband braid and just leave the back out.

I feel like this is a good question for Arctic, who does a lot of shorter-hair styles.

Arctic
January 25th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Thanks Zesty!

PinkPrincess, take a look at my blog, I have lot of style ideas there for shorter lengths. You might need some extra pins and/or styling products to help with your layers. I wouldn't worry too much about ponytails at your length, espcially if you are a trimmer. Move away from them when you have enough length to do so comfortably. My first buns were cinnabuns with ponytail base, secured with 4 big bobby pins. I also loved mini claw clips at short lengths. Since you can dutch braid, maybe tuck the ends under at the nape (I used those super mini claw clips to secure mine at first, they were practically invisible and held all day, later I used bobby pins)? And if you do double dutch braids your layes are more contained. You could also make Y-shaped dutch braid (two dutch braids merge at the back into one) and tuck the ends under. In general you might have better luck doing double or tripple bun/braids now. If you have hair sticking out of an otherwise nice braid, you can usually gently tuck it under the braid and pin it. I like mini bobby pins for that (I have bobby pins in 3 sizes, mini, normal and big).

Nique1202
January 25th, 2017, 06:36 AM
If you're worried about hair breakage with braids, you can try switching to those small latex/silicone elastics. The kind that come in clear, black, bright pastel colours for kids, etc. They work well as braid end elastics because they don't cause friction damage the way "normal" hair elastics do, when only used for braids they can be unwrapped from the last couple of inches of hair pretty easily to save for another use, and if they get caught in a hair they're easy to break (unless labeled silicone on the package, most are latex and will break down with a drop of cooking oil in a last-resort situation) and cheap to replace. Some people don't like them, but I use nothing else for my braids.

mizukitty
January 25th, 2017, 08:12 AM
If you're worried about hair breakage with braids, you can try switching to those small latex/silicone elastics. The kind that come in clear, black, bright pastel colours for kids, etc. They work well as braid end elastics because they don't cause friction damage the way "normal" hair elastics do, when only used for braids they can be unwrapped from the last couple of inches of hair pretty easily to save for another use, and if they get caught in a hair they're easy to break (unless labeled silicone on the package, most are latex and will break down with a drop of cooking oil in a last-resort situation) and cheap to replace. Some people don't like them, but I use nothing else for my braids.

Cool!!! I need these now! I have like.. rubber ones or something and they snag and it's awful. The latex, however, I've never tried!

spidermom
January 25th, 2017, 08:44 AM
You can braid front pieces back and use pretty clips or decorated bobby pins to secure.

lapushka
January 25th, 2017, 10:48 AM
A French twist?

pinkprincess
January 27th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to practice braiding again. I've found twin French braids kind of work but I need more practice, I can't do twin Dutch yet because my hands get instantly confused which way to go! I'm not even close to making a bun yet, I have tried. French twist I have tried but can't find a clip that fits properly to keep it in.

I will look into the silicone elastics because I haven't heard of them before.

I do half ups sometimes, and I'm getting the hang of lace braids at the front, started doing the rope version a lot.

Eta: wait I was thinking of a peacock twist I think, not French!

Hay_jules
January 27th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to practice braiding again. I've found twin French braids kind of work but I need more practice, I can't do twin Dutch yet because my hands get instantly confused which way to go! I'm not even close to making a bun yet, I have tried. French twist I have tried but can't find a clip that fits properly to keep it in.

I will look into the silicone elastics because I haven't heard of them before.

I do half ups sometimes, and I'm getting the hang of lace braids at the front, started doing the rope version a lot.

Eta: wait I was thinking of a peacock twist I think, not French!

My hair isn't much longer than yours (it's even longer in he front). I find for the double Dutch braids I get confused if I try to do it looking in the mirror, but if I do it blind they turn out perfectly. Another thing I do that looks really cute (I think) is a french or Dutch braided mohawk. Kind of like this but I just Bobby pin the ends at my crown.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7FydhU_gnBQ/maxresdefault.jpg