PDA

View Full Version : Different wave types throughout length of hair

MudderOfDragunz
January 24th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Hello all! :cheese:

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I have been noticing more and more the different waves texture/types manifesting in my hair and wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing? The hair that is above my ear line is pretty stick straight except for maybe the last two inches which had slight wave to them, but when I put my hair up in any sort of half do, the hair below my ear line is border line 2a/2b wavy, and there's a small section of my hair that curls into a ringlet. Go figure. :confused::confused:

My hair has always varied in texture, especially if I let it air dry versus combing it out straight or putting up in a bun, which causes nice uniform curls, but it seems to be happening much more so the older I get.

So anyways, I wanted to see if there were any oddballs out there like me!:)

pamrlyn
January 24th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Hi Mudder of Dragonz (love your name!)

you are not alone! right now I think my head has everything from 1C to 4a growing out of it somewhere. the back does spiral curls, the closer to my nape the curlier it gets. the hair in front of my ears is the 4a-ish looking, that I just clip kind of short - because it's awkward looking. the straightest hair seems to come from my temples or very top of my head. A fellow LHC person with about the same says it's type 2LOL! :D I treat it like curly hair to get the most out of the curls. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll put the straight strands on some foam rollers to make it match better.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 24th, 2017, 06:16 PM
My underlayer of hair, I have noticed, is wavier than my overlayer of hair. I have no idea why. It's like there's a line drawn across the back of my scalp from eartop to eartop, and all the hair below that line is wavier. Strange....

MoonRabbit
January 24th, 2017, 06:19 PM
I have so many different types of waves in my hair. My roots are relatively straight but most of my hair is S shaped waves. My bangs are now collarbone length and they dry into ringlets on wash day but begin to stretch out through the week. The underpart of my hair on the back of my head is the least wavy, it has the slightest body to it. Probably because that's where I get most of my grease production. I really enjoy my naturally chaotic waves. It's a surprise at every angle :)

ExpectoPatronum
January 24th, 2017, 06:27 PM
It's very common for people to have more than one wave type in their hair. My hair is primarily 3a, but I have sections that are looser - 2b/c - and a couple areas of 3b That's just the nature of wavy curly hair.

school of fish
January 24th, 2017, 06:39 PM
For sure! I had 1a hair all my life, then once I got pregnant with my 2nd baby in my early 40s my underlayers started growing out 2b. A couple years later I now have a 2b underlayer from roots to about APL, a 1a canopy, and 1a length from APL to TBL. It looks like I have braidwaves, but only over a section - it's odd ;)

For the moment my overall impression is still that of having straight hair, but as time goes on as those waves keep traveling down on the underlayer I may end up looking like I have wavy hair - I need another few years to know for sure! :p

qwerty
January 24th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Omg it sounds like you're describing my hair!
I'm glad I'm not alone lol

Mrstran
January 24th, 2017, 07:08 PM
I completely understand

Mine is totally screwed up. I have bigger waves on the left side of my head. As you go around to the right side of my head, the waves are less and less. So the hair on the right side is almost flattened out.

I'm kind of stuck like this. :ponder:

Im just going to sit here sulk for a bit.

hayheadsbird
January 24th, 2017, 11:51 PM
If I wear a half up in a bun, I can coax the underlayers up to about a 2a/b. If it's down it comes out about 1c depending how much it's been manipulated. If I finger comb while it drys I can bring it down to a 1b. I kinda like it, but would love if the top matched the waves underneath tbh.
Mine was all 1a growing up, would never hold any sort o curl. It's only been since pregnancy in my early 30's this texture change has come about.

lapushka
January 25th, 2017, 02:58 AM
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I have been noticing more and more the different waves texture/types manifesting in my hair and wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing? The hair that is above my ear line is pretty stick straight except for maybe the last two inches which had slight wave to them, but when I put my hair up in any sort of half do, the hair below my ear line is border line 2a/2b wavy, and there's a small section of my hair that curls into a ringlet. Go figure. :confused::confused:

Some are pretty uniform, others have variations of textures on their heads. It depends, but it's not non-existent! It can also depend on the particular product you're using. For example, I tried Shea Moisture's Frizz-taming smoothie and suddenly I had waves being very potent above both ears (and it dried my hair faster). So yeah, it does exist! :D

Coral Grimes
January 25th, 2017, 03:35 AM
Yep, my hair is all over the place! Straight bits, wavy bits, random ringlets. It doesn't know what it wants to be.

Hailwidis
January 25th, 2017, 06:15 AM
My underlayer of hair, I have noticed, is wavier than my overlayer of hair. I have no idea why. It's like there's a line drawn across the back of my scalp from eartop to eartop, and all the hair below that line is wavier. Strange....

I have the same! Top layer is mostly 2a, and bottom layer 2b-2c... what a waste that my best waves are hidden. When I flip my head upside down it's like I'm seeing a different head of hair!

Arctic
January 25th, 2017, 07:15 AM
I have different underlayer and canopy too. I've learned to like it, gives lot of options!

spidermom
January 25th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Me too; I call it crazy mixed up hair.

lapis_lazuli
January 25th, 2017, 09:45 AM
I'm 1c straight for the first 9 inches or so, then I get 2a body through the rest of the length. Nothing too unusual :)

littlestarface
January 25th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Thats wavy hair for you :rolleyes:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 25th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I have the same! Top layer is mostly 2a, and bottom layer 2b-2c... what a waste that my best waves are hidden. When I flip my head upside down it's like I'm seeing a different head of hair!

Yes, exactly! What a shame it's not the wavy part on top and the straighter part underneath.

Hay_jules
January 25th, 2017, 03:36 PM
My sides are 1b and the back is 2c that starts around the base of my skull. Once I grow out my bleach and get some length I'm hoping the sides can at least become some level of wavy.

copperlites
January 25th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Yes, exactly! What a shame it's not the wavy part on top and the straighter part underneath.

Yes this is me. Very curly underneath, with a slightly wavy, frizz prone canopy. I've been encouraging curls with flax seed gel but the canopy is sadly not as cooperative as I would like!

MudderOfDragunz
January 30th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Yay! I'm so glad to see so many fellow oddhairballs out there!

Emmeline
January 31st, 2017, 09:26 AM
I have very confused hair! A couple of ringlets underneath. Some frizzy stuff on ONE side (why?!). Some straightish bits. Quite a lot of wavy stuff. New growth on the crown that insists on sticking straight up...

pili
January 31st, 2017, 09:45 AM
For sure! I had 1a hair all my life, then once I got pregnant with my 2nd baby in my early 40s my underlayers started growing out 2b. A couple years later I now have a 2b underlayer from roots to about APL, a 1a canopy, and 1a length from APL to TBL. It looks like I have braidwaves, but only over a section - it's odd ;)

For the moment my overall impression is still that of having straight hair, but as time goes on as those waves keep traveling down on the underlayer I may end up looking like I have wavy hair - I need another few years to know for sure! :p
Ha! This happened to me, but the opposite. I had 3a hair that started growing out 2a/b during pith my pregnancies. Then it curled back up. That one section stayed 2a and disrupted the curl pattern below it.

school of fish
January 31st, 2017, 09:57 AM
Ha! This happened to me, but the opposite. I had 3a hair that started growing out 2a/b during pith my pregnancies. Then it curled back up. That one section stayed 2a and disrupted the curl pattern below it.

Wow, haha!! Pregnancy hormones are weird... :p