PDA

View Full Version : Aspirin With Your Caffeine Treatments?

FennFire911
January 24th, 2017, 02:46 PM
So I did my first caffeine rinse today. Obviously I will have to wait and see what results I get. Fingers crossed!
Being blonde I didn't want to use coffee, as reading the official caffeine rinse thread pointed out there could be staining.
When I went to buy caffeine pills at the store, I came across some pain relief powders first. They contain caffeine, because caffeine speeds up how fast the pain relief ingredients will take effect. I ended up buying BC instead of Goody's for the sole reason being that BC is only caffeine and aspirin, but Goody's is caffeine, aspirin, and acetaminophen. (Tylenol, I don't know how it's labeled in other countries. In the US it's medically abbreviated APAP.)
It's conveniently dosed (a bit higher than if you took the proverbial "two aspirins") as a powder so I didn't end up having to crush any pills or worry about enteric coating.
I decided to include aspirin because of the list of things it can treat topically, the most relevant to me being it can help with oiliness. But according to my searches it can also help with inflammation and possibly hair loss.

Anyone else in here use aspirin in a rinse? What do you use it for and is it having the desired improving affects? How do you mix yours and how long do you leave it on? I mixed mine in my usual conditioner, then left it in for 30 minutes and massaged my scalp.
I'm including one link for resources, but when I googled it there are dozens of pages that talk about this so do feel free to explore more and let us know what else you found out.

And of course, as with any pharmaceutical, take all due precautions. If you decide to buy these as powders, read the labels for all active and inactive ingredients.

http://positivemed.com/2016/04/11/aspirin-can-do-for-your-hair/

(http://positivemed.com/2016/04/11/aspirin-can-do-for-your-hair/)

lapushka
January 24th, 2017, 03:23 PM
How much did you use. Even if you use aspirin topically, it will still absorb and you can probably take too much too if you're not careful. I say be careful when using this, even if it is just for your face (acne).

FennFire911
January 24th, 2017, 03:52 PM
How specific would you like me to be on this?

lapushka
January 24th, 2017, 04:04 PM
How specific would you like me to be on this?

What do you mean? Did you use a lot? :o

FennFire911
January 24th, 2017, 04:10 PM
What do you mean? Did you use a lot? :o

Of course not. I used the indicated dose on the label. Why would I even consider anything more than an indicated dose? What in my OP made you so concerned that I would overdose on a drug and encourage others to do so as well?

Llama
January 24th, 2017, 05:06 PM
I have honestly never heard of using aspirin on hair...interesting!
Although I'm a baby when it comes to any sort of drugs/caffeine and would never try it myself :P

ephemeri
January 24th, 2017, 05:10 PM
I haven't heard of this before.

What effects did you notice after trying it?

FennFire911
January 24th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Aspirin in hair is nothing new. My mom used to rinse my hair with a pitcher of water she dissolved aspirin in when I was a child and on a swim team. Spending that much time in chlorine turned my blonde hair greenish. Aspirin got rid of the green. And my childhood was quite a while ago lol

I haven't noticed anything yet as today is the first time I've used it since childhood. I didn't know there were more uses for it in hair until I looked it up yesterday. I'm hoping to see less shedding. That's my goal with caffeine, and it seems that aspirin may boost that.

I don't have any inflammation issues on my scalp, but I would imagine someone who used it for that would see results, if there were going to be any, pretty quickly. I guess it's another case of YMMV. But since it has been a thing at least since I was a kid in the 80's, it's more than just a passing trend and I'm interested to find out why.

FennFire911
January 24th, 2017, 05:48 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9650

I found this a few minutes ago while looking around for more info. :D

Nymphe
January 24th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Salicylic acid shampoos are for dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, and those who want a slight scalp exfoliation to unblock follicles. I used to do aspirin and honey scrubs for dry patches on my face.

parkmikii
January 25th, 2017, 03:50 AM
Salicylic acid shampoos are for dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, and those who want a slight scalp exfoliation to unblock follicles. I used to do aspirin and honey scrubs for dry patches on my face.

Exactly. I used aspirin diluted in water and it got rid of my dandruff/itchy scalp.

FennFire911
January 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Exactly. I used aspirin diluted in water and it got rid of my dandruff/itchy scalp.

That's great! How long did it take to see results?

parkmikii
January 25th, 2017, 09:14 AM
That's great! How long did it take to see results?

It got better after about 2 treatments (I wash my hair weekly) ^^

LadyCelestina
January 25th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Except that aspirin = / = salycilic acid

LadyCelestina
January 25th, 2017, 11:49 AM
and btw I use aspirin as a blood thinner and I do feel like I have more shedding since I was put on it (as seems to be common with blood thinners?), so I wouldn't personally use it on the scalp... :shrug:

FennFire911
January 25th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Except that aspirin = / = salycilic acid

I've seen this mistake in comments of a lot of places I've looked. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid, giving it the abbreviation ASA. It's a metabolite of salicylic acid, they are different chemicals.

Aspirin is also in a different drug class than other traditional "blood thinners" and has a different mechanism of action, so would likely also have different side effects. I hate that it's causing you more shedding though. :(

ETA, LadyCelestina you are right and that's why I quoted that. I meant that I've seen others make the mistake of thinking aspirin and salicylic acid are the same thing.

LadyCelestina
January 25th, 2017, 12:51 PM
I've seen this mistake in comments of a lot of places I've looked. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid, giving it the abbreviation ASA. It's a metabolite of salicylic acid, they are different chemicals.

Aspirin is also in a different drug class than other traditional "blood thinners" and has a different mechanism of action, so would likely also have different side effects. I hate that it's causing you more shedding though. :(

ETA, LadyCelestina you are right and that's why I quoted that. I meant that I've seen others make the mistake of thinking aspirin and salicylic acid are the same thing.

I might be just imagining the shedding, but I know that I suffered 3 months of needles because I didn't want the hair fall side effect from pills :lol: (you know you're lhcer) And then I was put on aspirin anyway until I get some additional tests done and had a horrible shed, but it was in autumn so could have been seasonal. It has normalised slightly but I still sometimes feel like I comb out a bit more hair. eta what I'm trying to say is that I might be just imagining the shedding since I've read before thinners cause shedding, I never count the sheds

Anje
January 25th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I remember aspirin rinses being a thing around here for grumpy scalps. Aspirin masks are something people like for faces too. I always assumed the acetylsalicylic acid was similar to normal salicylic acid that's used to exfoliate. So yeah, caffeine and aspirin probably would work well.

Salicylates do absorb through the skin, as previously mentioned, so it's worth being conscious of total dose. Which it sounds like the OP is!

ETA: Oh, since you mentioned it at the top, Tylenol is acetaminophen in the US, but it's known as "paracetamol" in a lot of countries.

lapushka
January 25th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Salicylates do absorb through the skin, as previously mentioned, so it's worth being conscious of total dose. Which it sounds like the OP is!

I didn't say she wasn't. I was just concerned, in a general way, because it does absorb. That's all. :) :o

FennFire911
January 26th, 2017, 05:45 PM
I didn't say she wasn't. I was just concerned, in a general way, because it does absorb. That's all. :) :o

Well you sure came off like you were implying I wasn't in the way you chose to phrase your responses. Your comments came across to me in a very accusatory manner. You could probably choose your words better in the future.

mizukitty
January 26th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Salicylic acid and acetylsalicylic acid are two different chemicals, yes. Salicylic acid acts as a BHA exfoliant, but acetylsalicylic acid does not. Salicylic acid can be extracted from acetylsalicylic acid, however.

The addition of aspirin in your rinse can still be beneficial, though! If you have any inflammatory issues on your scalp, it will ease them. I think inflammation can hinder hair growth, so theoretically reducing the inflammation could increase hair growth (or normalize it.)

And caffeine is known to temporarily halt shedding, which is extremely fascinating. So I think your rinse is a great idea!

Don't forget to update us if you notice a huge burst of hair growth ;):stirpot:

FennFire911
January 26th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Well between rinsing with aspirin and cheese, I should be at floor length any day now... :D
But yea, I'm journaling this. I just don't have an inflammatory condition to try this with. I can only report how a relatively happy, though annoyingly oily scalp reacts. Maybe it will help with the oiliness. I can hope anyway. :)